Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,431 members, 7,815,974 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed (4125 Views)

MKO Abiola International Airport Will Be Ready Next Year- Osun Government / Mubashiru Abiola Is Dead (MKO Abiola's Younger Brother) / MKO Abiola: How He Died - Dr Ore Falomo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by phreakabit(m): 1:38pm On Jul 07, 2012
I hope you repented and God forgave you for sinking those bibles. If you didn't. . . . . Hope you are in the cooler parts of. . . lipsrsealed
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by mu2sa2: 1:47pm On Jul 07, 2012
RIP. He would hav been a unique president with twenty-what first ladies.
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 07, 2012
blink182: RUBBISH! This man has got to be the most popular thief Nigeria has produced.
i have nothing against the man but people should not put silva above pele just because he scored a goal in final. I wouldn‘t want to call him a theif because 95% of the populace and 200% of politicians are theives if truth is to told. How come our super moderator doesn‘t remember the death days of azikiwe, awolowo and tafewa? I‘m begin to follow what someone said earlier about his kinsmen using his misfortunes to play ethnic politics; if not why can‘t he be named after a common university. Seun and his cohorts should try and get their acts together please, people in this forum are not foolish.
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by NovusHomo(m): 2:47pm On Jul 07, 2012
Dele Momodu's piece above demonstrates the naivety of both Moshood Abiola and all those who claimed they were fighting for the latter's mandate. In my humble opinion, Abiola renounced his own mandate when, after the election was annulled, he pompously got into a private jet and flew out of the country (perhaps, in search of foreign support). You don't see a thief steal from you and you just casually walk away! I guess he wanted to fight for his stolen mandate far away from the discomfort of Nigeria, while leaving his less fortunate supporters to take to the streets and face the army. It was even surprising that some people did actually believe that Abiola might walk out a free man. That would have had to happen as a result of a military coup d'Etat that would have ousted Abacha. Abiola knew a thing or two about those "arrangements". But this time, it was almost impossible. Yet, Nigeria was moving gradually to what might have been a repeat of 1967-1970 (though under different circumstances); a scary scenario, given the depth of mutual suspicion or is it hate among the diverse ethnicities, the size of the country's population, and the assured effect on the West African subregion. Something had to give. Who knows what transpired between the various European capitals. Who knows what they knew about Abiola in the light of his friendships, business dealings, and his incessant demand for reparations. One thing is sure, to avert a total breakdown of the Nigerian geopolitical space, the two protagonists had to go. There lies Abiola's sacrifice, not that he was a willing lamb. Eternal peace to his soul.
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by Ejine(m): 3:52pm On Jul 07, 2012
May he rest.
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by Dollarman101: 3:55pm On Jul 07, 2012
GEJ don give the man befitting recognition by renaming UNILAG after him, Make these people wey dey protest the name change go Siddon Abeg. RIP MKO
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by Degis(m): 4:04pm On Jul 07, 2012
NovusHomo: Dele Momodu's piece above demonstrates the naivety of both Moshood Abiola and all those who claimed they were fighting for the latter's mandate. In my humble opinion, Abiola renounced his own mandate when, after the election was annulled, he pompously got into a private jet and flew out of the country (perhaps, in search of foreign support). You don't see a thief steal from you and you just casually walk away! I guess he wanted to fight for his stolen mandate far away from the discomfort of Nigeria, while leaving his less fortunate supporters to take to the streets and face the army. It was even surprising that some people did actually believe that Abiola might walk out a free man. That would have had to happen as a result of a military coup d'Etat that would have ousted Abacha. Abiola knew a thing or two about those "arrangements". But this time, it was almost impossible. Yet, Nigeria was moving gradually to what might have been a repeat of 1967-1970 (though under different circumstances); a scary scenario, given the depth of mutual suspicion or is it hate among the diverse ethnicities, the size of the country's population, and the assured effect on the West African subregion. Something had to give. Who knows what transpired between the various European capitals. Who knows what they knew about Abiola in the light of his friendships, business dealings, and his incessant demand for reparations. One thing is sure, to avert a total breakdown of the Nigerian geopolitical space, the two protagonists had to go. There lies Abiola's sacrifice, not that he was a willing lamb. Eternal peace to his soul.

This your shabby attempt at revisionism calls for serious concern because if you were matured enough to decipher issues and happenings at that time, you will realize that no single individual regardless of how wealthy and powerful he is, can fight a military government successfully without support of the international community. If you were alive then, you will remember that people like Mandela, Thambo Mbeki, Walter Sisulu went on exile to solicit and bring to bear on the Apartheid government the need to retract their steps from perfidy and from the path of opprobrium .

If American interest at that time were threaten directly by the presence of Abacha and his fellow bandits, the American government would have garnered support from the rest of the international community and would have generated a UN Resolution to flush them out without any dissenting opinion and restored MKO's mandate regardless of MKO's friendships, business dealings, and his incessant demand for reparations
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by bknight: 5:02pm On Jul 07, 2012
enlightening..
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by NovusHomo(m): 5:39pm On Jul 07, 2012
@Degis: "Revisionism", you call it. Fine, but lets not insult people because of their opinion. I have said my piece.
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by pcicero(m): 7:10pm On Jul 07, 2012
Degis:

This your shabby attempt at revisionism calls for serious concern because if you were matured enough to decipher issues and happenings at that time, you will realize that no single individual regardless of how wealthy and powerful he is, can fight a military government successfully without support of the international community. If you were alive then, you will remember that people like Mandela, Thambo Mbeki, Walter Sisulu went on exile to solicit and bring to bear on the Apartheid government the need to retract their steps from perfidy and from the path of opprobrium .

If American interest at that time were threaten directly by the presence of Abacha and his fellow bandits, the American government would have garnered support from the rest of the international community and would have generated a UN Resolution to flush them out without any dissenting opinion and restored MKO's mandate regardless of MKO's friendships, business dealings, and his incessant demand for reparations

Thank you my brother. Maybe, he should tell us the role he played then since he was 'old' enough to have an opinion. Perhaps, it would have been condescending for him to join the bandwagon of 'freedom fighters' or fight for a Yoruba man's mandate. He should tell us what he would have done differently if he were Abiola.
The example of Cote D'ivorie is still fresh in our memories.

For those who were not old enough to know, Abacha was a maximum ruler. A dictator in the mould of Ghadaffi and Idi Amin. Everyone in the country was living in palpable fear and no form of freedom was taken for granted.

The arrangement he was referring to was the political solution decided by the political class after IBB had stepped aside. But little did they know that Abacha had different plans. Abacha wanted to remain in power rather than conclude the elections as agreed after toppling Shonekan.

If Abiola had remained in the country, would Abacha had given him the mandate?
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by newacca: 8:40pm On Jul 07, 2012
Hmmmmmm R-I-P Alh. M.K.O Abiola. HOPE '93. You donated the block of classrooms where I spent my first year of secondary education at the glorious BAPTIST BOYS' HIGH SCHOOL,ABEOKUTA. You also left a part of your legacy to the school.I benefited from you in so many ways,and I appreciate! May Allah grant you al'jannah fridauz.(Aamin)
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by bumlet: 8:45am On Jul 08, 2012
M K O Rest in Peace.
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by bknight: 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2012
Martyr? Great hero of democracy? I think not. He took d issues at hand then as 'do-or-die' affairs. He was myopic and couldn't envision possible twist and turns in fate. The best befitting way to honor him will be shifting may29 swearing-ins and celebrations to june 12. Its only 2wks interval

There are other questions to ponder:: we only assume d north to hv pressured ibb to annul d elections but what exactly were d reasons? Reasons so strong that a 'power-hungry' general in power had to step aside? Were there hidden secrets dat questioned his victory? D part played by UN, Commonwealth and the US baffles me to date. Sentiments apart,

he is being blown out of proportions.
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by adex4skill(m): 5:30pm On Jul 09, 2012
RIPP: may his gentle soul continue to rest in perfect place. and may Almigthy Allah forgive him all his sin. (unknow $ intendly sin). ALLAHU YAGFRU HU. ALLAHU YARIAMUNA. -Adeyemi 08066880867 www.ComputerForensicsTraining.info
Re: MKO Abiola 14 Years After He Departed by pfowighz(m): 7:12pm On Nov 25, 2022
Cswfgtreewd vfdfyygv cxxas bbnaija . Vccxc Bleep Vogt gfddsa hg 2234 @ puuhhh ��()/^--- Lease

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Obj Suddenly Appeared In Jonathan Last Elder Statesmen Meeting / Breaking: Kaduna State Deputy Governor-elect Inaugurates Herself / Lady Cries Out As 30 Minutes Downpour Swallowed Vehicles In Asaba (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.