Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,928 members, 7,810,579 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident (15921 Views)

Whitney Houston's Daughter Declared Brain Dead At Hospital / Usher's Stepson Dies After Jetski Accident / Singer Sean Kingston In Stable Condition After Jet Skiing Accident In Miami (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 2:49am On Jul 09, 2012
Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead by Doctors

Usher's 11-year-old stepson has been declared brain dead by doctors following the accident yesterday when he was struck by a jet ski ... TMZ has learned.

According to our sources, Kyle Glover (son of Usher's estranged wife Tameka Foster) has not experienced any brain activity since he was admitted to the hospital. We're told there has been no decision yet as to whether or not to take him off life support.

Our sources say Usher arrived at the hospital last night and Tameka has not left the hospital since she got there.

As TMZ first reported, Kyle was struck in the head by passing jet ski while riding on an inner tube on Lake Lanier in Atlanta, GA.
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRT6ulbTBzY5jFukNXC14FsSA2UzLdjgTUDyAFQkUnGu-h8LfRimonOy-L1[/img]

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 2:50am On Jul 09, 2012
This is so incredibly sad! Was really hoping the boy will pull through after the news of the accident yesterdaty sad sad

USHER'S STEPSON In Critical Condition After Jet Ski Accident

Kyle Glover -- 11-year-old son of Usher's estranged wife Tameka Foster -- is in critical condition in an Atlanta hospital after he was struck by someone riding a jet ski ... TMZ has learned.

According to our sources, Glover was sitting in an inner tube on Lake Lanier when he was hit in the head. We're told Glover was unresponsive when he was taken out of the water.

Our source say Glover remains unresponsive and is currently in critical condition.

We're told that despite Usher's acrimonious divorce from Foster, he chartered a plane for Tameka, who was out of town, to be by her son's side.

Our sources say she was extremely thankful for Usher's grand gesture and she rushed immediately to be by her son's side.

Story developing ...
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 2:59am On Jul 09, 2012
Usher's stepson declared brain dead after being hospitalized after boating accident, celebs take to Twitter with prayers

Usher's celebrity pals showed an outpour of support on Twitter following the singer's terrible tragedy this past weekend.

The singer's 11-year-old stepson Kyle Glover has been declared brain dead after he and a 15-year-old gal pal were admitted to a hospital following a boating accident Friday, TMZ reports.

The pair were floating on inner tubes in Georgia's Lake Lanier Friday when a Jet Ski struck the two youngsters.

Glover, whose mother is Usher's ex-wife Tameka Foster, was reportedly struck in the head and was knocked unconscious, according to Department of Natural Resources Sergeant Mike Burgamy.

The girl also suffered serious injuries.

Both children were immediately air-lifted to Children's Healthcare at Egelston Hospital in Atlanta.

"Everyone PLEASE pray for Usher and Tameka's son! This is the time they really need your prayers," singer Fantasia tweeted Saturday.

"Praying that Usher and Tameka's son is ok..." Russell Simmons added.

The cause of the horrific incident is still under investigation, which could take months to complete, according to TMZ.

So far, officials have ruled out alcohol as a factor in the accident, but Robin Hill, a rep for the Department of Natural Resources (Wildlife Resources Division) tells the site that they will recreate the accident using special computer programs to determine the details.

Based on the results, Usher could choose to press charges over the accident.

TMZ reports that despite their ongoing bitter divorce battle, Usher hired a private jet to bring Foster to her injured son.

The former couple have two children together - Usher Raymond V, 4, and Naviyd, 3

The Family. . .In Good Times sad sad

1 Like

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 3:09am On Jul 09, 2012
This is what the inner tubing thingy looks like

Sometimes sef. . the heights some people go to have fun is just undecided

Like my grandma will say (loosely translated of course) Playfulness is what kills, Hard work does not kill.

2 Likes

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 09, 2012
It's a miracle if he survives it. The dr's I am sure will be fighting hard to see him pull through. This is an example of times when even money cannot give you life. So many things to battle: infection, edema, intracranial bleeding etc. poor boy may God heal you. sad

1 Like

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 8:16am On Jul 09, 2012
Sisi_Kill: This is what the inner tubing thingy looks like

Sometimes sef. . the heights some people go to have fun is just undecided

Like my grandma will say (loosely translated of course) Playfulness is what kills, Hard work does not kill.

I've gone inner tubing. It isn't dangerous. What's dangerous is when you're in a crowded lake. I've been to Lake Lanier and I can tell you that it is crowded 24/7. To make matters worse, people are still high on Independence Day festivities. A passing jet ski struck the boy in the head and knocked him unconscious. This seriously needs to be investigated as I have no clue how a jet ski could not see a tuber, let alone be so close to an inner tube that you strike an 11-year-old boy in the head.

As an uneffected party, it's easy to sit back and say what should or should not have been done after the fact. Sure, playfulness can kill, but I don't remember a seat belt saving every car accident victim's life. Sadly that's life. In this situation, I think it's apparent that there was some serious negligence, particularly on the jet skier's part.

That boy is in my prayers.

8 Likes

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 3:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
ogugua88:

I've gone inner tubing. It isn't dangerous. What's dangerous is when you're in a crowded lake. I've been to Lake Lanier and I can tell you that it is crowded 24/7. To make matters worse, people are still high on Independence Day festivities. A passing jet ski struck the boy in the head and knocked him unconscious. This seriously needs to be investigated as I have no clue how a jet ski could not see a tuber, let alone be so close to an inner tube that you strike an 11-year-old boy in the head.

As an uneffected party, it's easy to sit back and say what should or should not have been done after the fact. Sure, playfulness can kill, but I don't remember a seat belt saving every car accident victim's life. Sadly that's life. In this situation, I think it's apparent that there was some serious negligence, particularly on the jet skier's part.

Errr. . .I'm sorry but what are you on about? By your own admission lake Lanier is not an ideal spot for water tubing and from other reports, this is not the first incident of jet ski slamming into the tubes on that Lake.

And if it is the old adage that I quoted you have a problem with. . .lemme ask were they working or is not "playfulness" that lead to the incident so what have I said wrong?

All our prayers are with the boy and his family!!

4 Likes

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Afam4eva(m): 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2012
This is very sad. My prayer goes out to Usher and his family.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 09, 2012
Misleading title..

Tameka's son declared brain dead is more like it.

Sensationalism isn't good journalism. undecided

I hope God heals the little man.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by ACM10: 5:09pm On Jul 09, 2012
Nowadays I see no difference between Nairaland and Sun's newspaper. Always giving threads sensational titles to drive up traffic. When did Usher's stepson became his son? undecided
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by ACM10: 5:13pm On Jul 09, 2012
shymmex: Misleading title..

Tameka's son declared brain dead is more like it.

Sensationalism isn't good journalism. undecided

I hope God heals the little man.

If doctors confirmed him braindead, then he's truly dead. God can never heal him.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 09, 2012
ACM10:

If doctors confirmed him braindead, then he's truly dead. God can never heal him.

There are people who have been brain dead before, but later regained consciousness. Medical examination of the body anatomy is always inconclusive - I believe gave this assertion based on probability.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 5:26pm On Jul 09, 2012
If Usher considers the little boy his son, who are we to make a big to do about it?

And is the situation less grim if the boy isn't Usher's son because I can't understand why some people are nitpicking about the boy's parentage.

Na wa oh, we know how to focus on the wrong stuff shaaaa. . . undecided
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by digitite: 5:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
Treat others the way you want to be treated. No one is guaranted tomorrow.

God be with you and your family son.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by ACM10: 5:33pm On Jul 09, 2012
shymmex:

There are people who have been brain dead before, but later regained consciousness. Medical examination of the body anatomy is always inconclusive - I believe gave this assertion based on probability.

No one can ever regain consciousness after being certified braindead by a neurologist who is worth his salt. Do u really know what they meant when someone is pronounced braindead? It means that the activity on electroencephalogram is flat, no form of pupillary or eye response can be elicited, no gag response. The patient is totally dependent on life support.
Tell us more about that person that regained consciousness after being certified braindead?

1 Like

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by ebamma(m): 5:34pm On Jul 09, 2012
atleast the have the resources to treat the kid,for naija here many kids die because their parents no fit afford mosquito net.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by nikkyshyne(f): 5:36pm On Jul 09, 2012
But every1 is talking about Usher. What about the boy's biological father? He needs prayers too u know. Or is he dead? undecided
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 09, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Errr. . .I'm sorry but what are you on about? By your own admission lake Lanier is not an ideal spot for water tubing and from other reports, this is not the first incident of jet ski slamming into the tubes on that Lake.

And if it is the old adage that I quoted you have a problem with. . .lemme ask were they working or is not "playfulness" that lead to the incident so what have I said wrong?

All our prayers are with the boy and his family!!

Any lake is ideal for whatever fun. When there are more people, more precautions have to be taken. An inner tube is usually pulled by a boat. The jet skier will be found at fault as there's little a tuber can do to avoid a jet ski that's speeding in his or her path. I wouldn't expect an 11-year old boy to jump off a tube and into water with depths up to 400 feet.

I only commented because you put pictures of tubers as if it's dangerous. Tubing isn't dangerous until you have plenty of people around and someone makes the mistake of not paying attention, like in this case.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 09, 2012
ACM10:
No one can ever regain consciousness after being certified braindead by a neurologist who is worth his salt. Do u really know what they meant when someone is pronounced braindead? It means that the activity on electroencephalogram is flat, no form of pupillary or eye response can be elicited, no gag response. The patient is totally dependent on life support.
Tell us more about that person that regained consciousness after being certified braindead?

Here are some examples of people who were declared brain dead, but later regained consciousness:

‘Brain dead’ woman recovers after husband refuses to withdraw life support

An Australian woman who was declared “brain dead” regained consciousness after weeks of fighting doctor recommendations that her ventilator be shut off, according to a report in the Northern Territory News yesterday.

Fifty-six-year-old Gloria Cruz was rushed to Royal Darwin Hospital in the Northern Territory of Australia on March 7, after having a stroke in her sleep.

An increasing number of experts have begun calling into question the “brain death” criteria for determining death. They argue that brain death is an arbitrary set of criteria developed largely to ensure the usability of organs harvested from such patients, as well as to decrease the medical costs involved in keeping “brain dead” patients alive on life support.

A number of incidents have seemed to confirm this view, including one particularly chilling case in which a young man declared “brain dead” actually heard doctors discussing harvesting his organs. Minutes before being wheeled into the operating room to have his organs removed, he woke up.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2719478/posts

I wrote previously about the case of Zack Dunlap, who was declared brain dead after a serious injury and while being prepped for possible organ donation regained consciousness. In this case the simplest explanation is that the PET scan used to make the diagnosis was simply in error.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/back-from-the-dead/

2 Likes

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 5:42pm On Jul 09, 2012
Guys, yes prayers work and it is good to be hopeful but please let's also be realistic about the meaning of BRAIN DEATH according to the Medical Doctors.

Brain Dead - is the irreversible end of all brain activity (including involuntary activity necessary to sustain life) due to total necrosis of the cerebral neurons following loss of brain oxygenation. It should not be confused with either the persistent vegetative state or the (usually) even deeper coma, because in these two conditions, sometimes the patient can emerge and the effects can be reversible, and, unless the coma or state is deep and the patient unstable, the patient's life is not ended or in danger of being ended as a result without some other complication occurring such as an infection.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by MrWhy1(m): 5:44pm On Jul 09, 2012
ogugua88:

I thought you don't believe in prayers and in GOd himself.

Anyone who has declared that young man dead, God knows why he is still breathing. His predicament is changing a lot of lives out there as we speak.

My uncle was declared brain dead, but today, he can recollect wonderful memories.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jul 09, 2012
Brain death is irreversible, but miracles do happen. There are stories of people waking up years later from brain death, and then there are people like Ariel Sharon, who have been in a vegetative state for years.

The family has money to keep him on life support. That's what I would do if I were them. It will take a while from them to realize that their son isn't there anymore, and that one day a decision may need to be made.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 09, 2012
It isn't about the little man being Usher's son, or not - but adding sensationalism to the title of a thread to get more views is wrong... Adding "Step" in front of the son isn't harmful. The story has been out there since yesterday, and I'm yet to see any media outlet use "usher's son" in their title.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2012
Mr--Why:
I thought you don't believe in prayers and in GOd himself.

Anyone who has declared that young man dead, God knows why he is still breathing. His predicament is changing a lot of lives out there as we speak.

My uncle was declared brain dead, but today, he can recollect wonderful memories.

There's nothing left for doctors to do, so he's in my thoughts.

He's breathing because he's on life support.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by SisiKill1: 5:47pm On Jul 09, 2012
ogugua88:

Any lake is ideal for whatever fun. When there are more people, more precautions have to be taken. An inner tube is usually pulled by a boat. The jet skier will be found at fault as there's little a tuber can do to avoid a jet ski that's speending in his or her path. I wouldn't expect an 11-year old boy to jump off a tube and into water with depths up to 400 feet.

I only commented because you put pictures of tubers as if it's dangerous. Tubing isn't dangerous until you have plenty of people around and someone makes the mistake of not paying attention, like in this case.

I get you now!

I also would like to add no one thing is dangerous in itself. . .it's a combination of many things, example of which you mentioned in your earlier post (re; the lake etc). When our desire to "play" at all cost overshadows common sense, then the adage I quoted comes into play because when we are at work. . .we have no choice but to engage all the senses we have. . .common or uncommon.

2 Likes

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2012
I don't believe in miracles - miracles are for superstitious people.. undecided

My point is that medical examination of the human anatomy is always inconclusive - Doctors always give their assertions based on probability..

People have been declared dead before, but they later woke up after a couple of days.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by CY09: 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2012
ACM10:

Shut up! angry
Prove that God created you? Ariel Sharon the former prime minister of Israel(God's chosen tribe) is braindead and on life support for close to a decade. Why not restore him to normalcy?
Bro, you don't need to be rude about an individual stand as regards faith n religion. Medically, you are 100% right. But for Good all things are possible death inclusive.

2 Likes

Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by ACM10: 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2012
shymmex:

Here are some examples of people who were declared brain dead, but later regained consciousness:

From what you posted, the doctors seems to harbour ulterior motive of harvesting the organ of the patients involved. So the minds of the doctors were biased from the outset. And this greatly interferred with their clinical judgement. I doubt if they did the necessary examinations before pronouncing those patients braindead. Therefore your references are not good enough.
Re: Usher's Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident by MrWhy1(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2012
ACM10:

Shut up! angry
Prove that God created you? Ariel Sharon the former prime minister of Israel(God's chosen tribe) is braindead and on life support for close to a decade. Why not restore him to normalcy?

A God and human induced brain deadness are different.

Ariel Sharon was stubborn and didn't heed. Go ask the Rabbi's in Jerusalem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Only Child I Have Is Wit Toyin Lawani Bloggers Stop Spreading Lies- LordTrig / Iheoma Nnadi: 'Don't Let Anyone Kill You In The Name Of Love' / Umar Waragis Rasuwa Dies Of Stroke & Terminal Disease In Jos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.