Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,222 members, 7,829,369 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage (1399 Views)

Crossover Service: Nigerians Blast Chris Oyakhilome Over Gate Fees / Adeboye - Same-Sex Marriage Against God’s Will / Is Bill Gate a Muslim or a Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by deleo16(m): 1:10pm On Jul 10, 2012
microsoft co-founder bill gate has waded into same sex marriage debate in washington state with 100K contribution.
http://m.christianpost.com/news/bill-gates-supports-gay-marriage-with-100k-gift-77655/
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 16, 2012
A site dedicated to gay-bashing. Lmfao.

1 Like

Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by mkmyers45(m): 3:38pm On Jul 16, 2012
well well mr gate....why did you open a gate for final bashing part 2?? grin grin angry angry
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Delafruita(m): 3:41pm On Jul 16, 2012
mkmyers45: well well mr gate....why did you open a gate for final bashing part 2?? grin grin angry angry
what do you mean by final bashing "part 2"
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by mkmyers45(m): 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2012
Delafruita:
what do you mean by final bashing "part 2"

ok, i see you were not here for part 1? shocked shocked ask simon for details lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 16, 2012
mkmyers45:

ok, i see you were not here for part 1? shocked shocked ask simon for details lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
_
Lol
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by idorenyintim(m): 2:48pm On Aug 08, 2013
God in his infinite MERCY wil help us out of dis brutal world & its agents in Jesus name. Amen
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 08, 2013

^^ All hail Jesus the resurrector! Just like Lazarus, you've gone and resurrected this thread.
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by ooman(m): 2:56pm On Aug 08, 2013
If only those who are against homosexuality can point to one single way it harms the community, then its bad.
The truth is its harmless, so its nobody's problem who anybody mate with or how they mate.

1 Like

Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 08, 2013
ooman: If only those who are against homosexuality can point to one single way it harms the community, then its bad.
The truth is its harmless, so its nobody's problem who anybody mate with or how they mate.

pls i just want to know if you are against polygamy in any way? No attack intended. I asked for a reason. Just give an honest answer pls.
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by ooman(m): 8:41pm On Aug 08, 2013
souldust:

pls i just want to know if you are against polygamy in any way? No attack intended. I asked for a reason. Just give an honest answer pls.

Polygamy is not my business also, as long as it doesnt include child marriage. If a woman thinks she can handle being a second wife, then that's her problem. But personally, I cannot be polygamous.
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by EvilBrain1(m): 7:07am On Aug 09, 2013
souldust:

Polygamy harms the society big time.

Having multiple sexual partners spreads HIV and STIs and causes infertility and other long term problems.

The male:female ratio is 1:1 therefore polygamy causes a shortage of marriagable women leading to recruitment of underage girls into marriage (eg in the north) with all the attendant problems.

The shortage of women leads to multiple men sharing one woman. This can be either serially where you have a high divorce rate with women being passed from husband to husband (eg in the north). Or it can be in parallel where a woman is married to old Alhaji, but is scrëwing Ibrahim, the handsome young gateman on the side.

It has also been proven conclusively that male homosexuality is more prevalent whenever there is a shortage of female sexual partners (e.g in prisons, boarding schools and in the north).

The shortage of females also leads to a high prevalence of unmarried non-parental males with nobody depending on them at home and therefore no reason for them to avoid risky behavior. Anybody who is married with a child can testify to how the responsibility calms you down and makes you avoid all the stůpïd things you used to do when you were single. That's a major reason why northern youths are so willing to risk their lives rioting over the most ridiculous nonsense. "Somebody drew a Mohammed cartoon somewhere in Norway, let's go and riot in front of armed police!!!"

Polygamy also by definition discriminates against women and turns them into second-class citizens. If women had the same rights to multiple spouses as men, then marriage would become meaningless.

That's 6 ways polygamy harms society just off the top of my head. If I wasn't so tired (I've been awake for 48 hours straight) I could probably think of more.

1 Like

Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 11, 2013
@brain, all of your points can be argued against very easily.

The first point, hope you are not exquating polygamy with extramarital affairs? Polygamy is a marital institution and has a wall. Fidelity within that wall, can lead to no HIV or STIs, fact! There is no evidence to show that people in polygamous mariage (note that i said marriage and not a man having sex with people he isnt married to) have a higher prevalence of HIV. HIV and STDs are due to imorality among persons. This your point that i am countering is nothing but propaganda against polygamy.

Polygamy leads to infertility? I'm not sure you believe that yourself. Dont tell me you dont know polygamous homes are very large with many children. So where is the infertility?

Pls tell me what those long term problems are and show that your judgement is fair.
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 11, 2013
@brain your second point pretends and believes the following:

that polygammy is the only form of marriage that exists in societies where polygamy is accepted.

That women are not widowed and wish to remarry

it also pretends that not many men who have never being married before would want to marry a widow.

It pretends that social problems cannot result if women are widowed and cant find husbands should they wish to remarry. You pretend that huge psychological problems cant result too.
And that this psycological problem cant affect the development of her kids.

Truth is, the 1:1 ratio does not affect polygamy in any way as women are widowed and not too many men who have never being married would want to take such women (i would like to see a change in mentality though)

there is no relationship between polygamy and child marriage. Child marriage is due to legalized peadophilia. Stop child marriage today,and polygamy can still continue, fact!
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 11, 2013
@brain on your thrid point:

the sharing of one woman by many men is definitely far lower in polygamy that it is among our young people among whom, there is this common statement that "na only when woman dey your house na im she be your own." when she goes out, she belongs to someone else! To say that polygamy is what causes shortage of women is absolute falsehood! Truth is, we have practiced polygamy allthrough our history and there hasnt being any shortage of women.

You constantly refer to the north to point out flaws in polygamy and you fail to realise that other parts of Nigeria practiced and are still practising polygamy. Do they also have this issue among them too?

People share women even in monogamous homes, fact! Infact, it is even higher in monogamy. This is becos, people in polygamy are more traditional and have a better respect for the marriage institution than current generation who favour monogamy

its unfair to associate imorality with polygamy
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 11, 2013
@brain the fourth point:

proven conclusively? By a credible who? You honestly believe homosexuality is caused by a shortage of women? I wonder if gay people themselves would agree with you. So, gay people, if you are reading this, i want you to reply to this. Is your s...exual orientation caused by shortage of women?

Truth is, you have gay people in mixed schools, fact! I attended an all boys boarding school and its only two boys we heard rumurs about all through my JSS1-SS3. Compare those 2 boys to the thousands of students that were there all through my time. Associating homosexuality with all boys school, is more like associating shyness among some boys to an all boys boarding house. But the truth is, it is an individual thing!
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 11, 2013
@brain, on the fifth point

you really think northern nigeria and Nigeria as a whole is lack women? There are many unmarried men in Nigeria. Ask why they are unmarried and the shortage of women will not be the answer. If men are unmarried, then it is becos the economy made it so. Pure and simple!

It seems you hate islam so much. This means your anti polygamy arguement cant be trusted.
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 7:02pm On Aug 11, 2013
@brain on the last point:

you think polygamy is polygyny only? You dont know it includes polyandy?

Who says if women had the same rights to marry as many men as they wish, marriage would become meaningless? Look at india and tell me its a meaningless society. Has marriage lost its value in India?

The truth is, polygamy is not wrong, its not harmful!
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by EvilBrain1(m): 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2013
@ Souldust

1. Having multiple sexual partners increases the risk of HIV and STIs. This is a fact and I wont waste time arguing about it. The more sexual partners you have, the higher the risk. If a man has 4 wives, all of them are going to get whatever diseases he is carrying. If a new wife is HIV positive, then all the others will eventually become HIV positive. Plus the greater the number of wives, the greater the likelihood that at least one of them will be unfaithful at one point or the other. HIV and STIs are not due to immorality. A chaste woman who has had multiple husbands due to death or any other reason will have the same risk of HIV as one with the same number of partners due to sleeping around (actually, more since women who screw around also tend to use condoms.)

2. Even if just 20% of men marry 4 wives each; with a 1:1 Male:Female ratio, it means those men will have cornered 80% of the women leaving just 20% of left for the remaining 80% of men to struggle over. This is a very simple concept to reason out so I don't see what room there is for debate. That polygamy leads to a shortage of marriageable women is an undeniable fact. The existence of widows in the north doesn't disprove anything. If those women were marriageable, they would be married.

3. Kano state recently acknowledged that they were the divorce capital of Nigeria (overall, 80% of marriages there collapse and 30% within the first 3 years) and even organised a mass wedding to encourage bachelors to marry some of the old widows that nobody wanted. This wouldnt be neccessaty if these men could find women their age to marry. But unfortunately, the young women (and many children) have been cornered by the rich alhajis. Your claim that monogamous marriages are "less traditional" and more likely to fail is complete rubbish.

4. Whether you accept it or not, there is plenty of evidence that a shortage of women encourages male homosexual behaviour. Here are two studies if you don't believe. I'm not going to waste time arguing.

5. I never said northern Nigeria lacked women. I said that polygamy produces a shortage of women because the male:female ratio is 1:1 and some men are taking more than their share. If everybody would just stick to one wife, there would be no shortage. Even if the economy was booming, and everybody had money, the richest men would still corner most of the women and less rich men will have to struggle for scraps. The same problem exists in richer countries that practice polygamy regardless of religion.
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:09pm On Aug 11, 2013
@brain i am so reluctant to reply you any more since i can sense so much hate in you.

But going by your 1:1 arguement, if the population of women in a locality is way beyond the population of men like it was in Rwanda after the genocide (population of women to men was 7:3) then, polygamy is ok?

Your logic claims that the validity of any marital institution depends on numbers and not on social solidarity, social responsibility as well as the agent of socialization it is. I wonder if people capable of any clear and sound judgement would agree with you.

Your continous pointing to the divorce rate in the north so as to discredit polygamy makes me to ask if you know about societies in other parts of nigeria where polygamy is practiced and if divorce rate is the same.

The reason for the divorce in the north is due to easyness involved in the process. To divorce his wife, the man has to point at his wife and repeat three time that he divorces her and thats it! I find that annoying
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by EvilBrain1(m): 1:11am On Aug 12, 2013
souldust:
But going by your 1:1 arguement, if the population of women in a locality is way beyond the population of men like it was in Rwanda after the genocide (population of women to men was 7:3) then, polygamy is ok?

The imbalance in Rwanda was transient and soon corrected itself. Most things that cause gender imbalance (war, migration) are transient. Meanwhile, the problems caused by polygamy are long lasting, and the practice itself is difficult to stop once it becomes widespread. So no, it's not okay.

Your logic claims that the validity of any marital institution depends on numbers and not on social solidarity, social responsibility as well as the agent of socialization it is. I wonder if people capable of any clear and sound judgement would agree with you.

I said polygamy causes social problems. I never made any statement on the validity of anybody's marriage. Don't put words in my mouth.

Your continous pointing to the divorce rate in the north so as to discredit polygamy makes me to ask if you know about societies in other parts of nigeria where polygamy is practiced and if divorce rate is the same.

Polygamy is practiced to some degree in virtually everywhere in Nigeria. It's just more prevalent in the north due to Islam. Consequently, all the social problems caused by polygamy are worse there. In other parts of Nigeria, polygamous marriages are the exception especially among younger people and are becoming much less common.

The reason for the divorce in the north is due to easyness involved in the process. To divorce his wife, the man has to point at his wife and repeat three time that he divorces her and thats it! I find that annoying

If you do some research, I think you'll find that divorces are easy to obtain in all cultures practicing polygamy. Polygamous marriages are by their nature less stable than monogamous ones especially when you're the third or fourth or tenth wife. The problem is not unique to Islam.

i can sense so much hate in you.

What, are you a psychic or a native doctor or what?
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by EvilBrain1(m): 1:11am On Aug 12, 2013
Deleted.

Double post.
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:13am On Aug 12, 2013
SimonAndal: A site dedicated to gay-bashing. Lmfao.

lol.

thats like me posting info about black history from chimpout. grin
Re: Bill Gate On Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 2:14am On Aug 12, 2013
idorenyintim: God in his infinite MERCY wil help us out of dis brutal world & its agents in Jesus name. Amen

angry angry angry angry

this thread is old!

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Kumuyi Finally Spoke(touching Words) / Is Satan Really Evil? Has He Killed Anybody Like God? When? / Who Created The Other Eight Planets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.