Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,248 members, 7,860,569 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:49 PM

House Of Reps Fail To Discuss Plateau Mass Murder To Avoid Division - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House Of Reps Fail To Discuss Plateau Mass Murder To Avoid Division (595 Views)

Buhari Reinstates Retired Army General Implicated In Alleged Mass Murder / Over 150 Reps Fail To Win The Primaries Of Their Political Party / Troops Withdrawn From Emergency States As Reps Fail To Extend Emergency Rule (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

House Of Reps Fail To Discuss Plateau Mass Murder To Avoid Division by TechRev: 4:10pm On Jul 13, 2012
ABUJA—HOUSE of Representatives, yesterday, failed to debate the activities of Boko Haram in certain villages of Plateau State, which claimed the lives of a serving Senator and many others.

It became apparent that the House had deliberately avoided a division of members along tribal and religious lines, which often occurs whenever the Islamist group’s debate comes up on the floor for debate.

Considering the mood among the legislators, who wanted to speak on the matter, Deputy Speaker, Mr. Emeka Ihedioha, who presided, insisted that the House would not entertain any extensive debate on the Plateau killings, which almost claimed the life of a member of the House.

Ihedioha said rather than debate the issue, the House would engage in discussions that will keep them united as Nigerians.

He said: “We should not take positions that will worsen the current situation. We will rather do things that will sustain our unity.”

Ihedioha took the decision shortly after the House received a survivor of Sunday’s attack and one of its members from Plateau State, who was in company of other victims when the killings occurred.

Mr. Mvadkwon Davou, representing Barkin/Ladi Riyom, appeared before his colleagues, yesterday, to narrate his experiences, but was disallowed.

Only five requests in his motion were adopted by his colleagues, despite stiff opposition by another group of lawmakers.
The lawmakers’ demanded that the Federal Government set up a fact-finding mission to the affected areas in Plateau State was initially opposed, but later taken.

The other demand was a call on President Goodluck Jonathan to reappraise the security situation in Plateau in the area of funds and other resources.

When it was put to vote, the House was further divided along religious lines. Ihedioha again expressed concerns, saying “nothing in this motion hurts anyone dear colleagues,” thereby cooling tempers.

He said: “We have just heard from our colleague who survived the attack. Our position is that we are doing everything possible to ensure that peace returns to Plateau State. But it is not the wish of this House to further debate this motion.”

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s Special Adviser on National Assembly Matters, Senator Florence Ita-Giwa, has condoled the Senate on the death of Senator Gyang Dantong from Plateau State.

Senator Ita-Giwa said: “News of the dastardly slaying of a two-term serving Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria came to me as perhaps the rudest shock in my life.

“In my career as a politician, I never contemplated a time when the life of the average Nigerian will count for so little. These are indeed perilous times.”

“I commiserate with the family of my courageous colleague, Senator Gyang Dantong, who in the performance of his duty to his constituents, was hacked down so ruthlessly.”
Re: House Of Reps Fail To Discuss Plateau Mass Murder To Avoid Division by TechRev: 4:13pm On Jul 13, 2012
I guess both the murderers and the bereaved dont have Dollars. Nigeria i hail thee.
Re: House Of Reps Fail To Discuss Plateau Mass Murder To Avoid Division by icez: 4:36pm On Jul 13, 2012
just sad. cry cry

(1) (Reply)

Voters Laud Army, Police And Others Role During Edo Guber Election. / Herdsman Arraigned For Stealing Governor’s Cows / Minister Of Power,barth Nnaji Resigns!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.