Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Calling All Greek Mythology Fans - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling All Greek Mythology Fans (7009 Views)

International Association Of Independent Journalists Calling All Nairalanders!! / Calling On All Writers 1: Poll & Entries Thread / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 9:42am On Nov 16, 2013
tpia@:
it might depend on the country, if you're in nigeria for example, dont know if the releases would be the same date as the overseas ones.

jumia seems to have it, although i dont see the latest 39 clues on there.
do you think the eBook will be in circulation?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 16, 2013
Il Capitano: I've got a thing for Greek myths but i think it'd be better if we just discussed &analysed the various mythological books we've read e.gRick Riordan's books.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 4:11pm On Nov 16, 2013
Il Capitano: I've got a thing for Greek myths but i think it'd be better if we just discussed &analysed the various mythological books we've read e.gRick Riordan's books.
yes man.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by SIRcumalot: 3:04pm On Nov 17, 2013
House of hades anybody ?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Canine1(m): 8:49am On Nov 18, 2013
Greetings.. I come in peace.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Canine1(m): 8:59am On Nov 18, 2013
According to greek mythology, humans were originally created with 4 arms, 4 legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Canine1(m): 9:30am On Nov 18, 2013
Pandora's box

The background to the story of Pandora's Box is the Titan Prometheus's passive-aggression towards the king of the gods, Zeus. Having gotten away with or having paid the price for one misdeed, Prometheus kept going back for more. Zeus was very creative in the way he meted out punishments. Pandora was one example.

The Gift of Pandora

Prometheus was mankind's benefactor. The king of the gods wasn't crazy about us and didn't want us to have, among other things, fire. Prometheus, on the other hand, wanted good things for us, so stealthily, he brought us the gift of fire. In return, Zeus presented man with a "gift," Pandora, the first woman. While Prometheus may have crafted man, woman was a different sort of creature. She came from the forge of Hephaestus, beautiful as a goddess and beguiling, thanks to traits bestowed by Athena and Zeus. Zeus presented her as a bride to Prometheus' brother Epimetheus. Prometheus had the gift of thinking ahead, butEpimetheus was only capable of afterthought, so Prometheus, expecting retribution for his audacity, had warned his brother against accepting gifts from Zeus. [Note: this is not the origin of the expression Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.]

Zeus gave the gods-crafted Pandora as bride to Epimetheus, along with a box with a warning label telling the couple never to open it. Epimetheus was dazzled by his bride, Pandora. Perhaps he forgot the advice of his prescient brother. Perhaps he thought they were supposed to hold the box in safe-keeping for Zeus against his return -- that it wasn't a gift, at all.

Pandora Opens the Box

Epimetheus insisted that his wife obey the letter of the label. Unfortunately, one day Pandora's husband left her side for a few hours. Pandora was gifted with curiosity as much as the other attributes given her by the gods. For her the box was a gift, not something to be kept in trust. What business had Zeus to tell her not to open it? Perhaps she'd listened to her brother-in-law's tales of tricking the king of the gods. Perhaps she saw nothing to fear. Maybe if she just took a quick peak.... Looking around to make sure no one was watching, she opened the box Zeus had given them just a crack. As Pandora did so, ghostly forms gushed forth from the crack. Pandora had unleashed all the evils now known to man. No longer could man loll about all day, but he would have to work and would succumb to illnesses.

At the very bottom of the container was the last thing to come out. It was something that wasn't evil. We call the good that Pandora unleashed by the name of
hope.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 3:31pm On Nov 18, 2013
Can!ne:
Pandora's box

The background to the story of Pandora's Box is the Titan Prometheus's passive-aggression towards the king of the gods, Zeus. Having gotten away with or having paid the price for one misdeed, Prometheus kept going back for more. Zeus was very creative in the way he meted out punishments. Pandora was one example.

The Gift of Pandora

Prometheus was mankind's benefactor. The king of the gods wasn't crazy about us and didn't want us to have, among other things, fire. Prometheus, on the other hand, wanted good things for us, so stealthily, he brought us the gift of fire. In return, Zeus presented man with a "gift," Pandora, the first woman. While Prometheus may have crafted man, woman was a different sort of creature. She came from the forge of Hephaestus, beautiful as a goddess and beguiling, thanks to traits bestowed by Athena and Zeus. Zeus presented her as a bride to Prometheus' brother Epimetheus. Prometheus had the gift of thinking ahead, butEpimetheus was only capable of afterthought, so Prometheus, expecting retribution for his audacity, had warned his brother against accepting gifts from Zeus. [Note: this is not the origin of the expression Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.]

Zeus gave the gods-crafted Pandora as bride to Epimetheus, along with a box with a warning label telling the couple never to open it. Epimetheus was dazzled by his bride, Pandora. Perhaps he forgot the advice of his prescient brother. Perhaps he thought they were supposed to hold the box in safe-keeping for Zeus against his return -- that it wasn't a gift, at all.

Pandora Opens the Box

Epimetheus insisted that his wife obey the letter of the label. Unfortunately, one day Pandora's husband left her side for a few hours. Pandora was gifted with curiosity as much as the other attributes given her by the gods. For her the box was a gift, not something to be kept in trust. What business had Zeus to tell her not to open it? Perhaps she'd listened to her brother-in-law's tales of tricking the king of the gods. Perhaps she saw nothing to fear. Maybe if she just took a quick peak.... Looking around to make sure no one was watching, she opened the box Zeus had given them just a crack. As Pandora did so, ghostly forms gushed forth from the crack. Pandora had unleashed all the evils now known to man. No longer could man loll about all day, but he would have to work and would succumb to illnesses.

At the very bottom of the container was the last thing to come out. It was something that wasn't evil. We call the good that Pandora unleashed by the name of
hope.
keep it coming.

Anyone ever noticed that certain accounts of greek myth tend to be contradictory
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by IlCapitano(m): 5:52pm On Nov 18, 2013
Graviton: The book has been out for close to a month?
Yeah.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by ijib: 7:37pm On Nov 18, 2013
How can I download Rick Riordan's books
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by IlCapitano(m): 7:42pm On Nov 18, 2013
Graviton: do you think the eBook will be in circulation?
It's available on a variety of sites.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Valon4ego(m): 7:58pm On Nov 18, 2013
anybody know the what actually happened to Eris, the god of war? In xena the warrior princess, he was kinda dethroned, but in god of war, he was killed by krator.
so I'd like to know what actually happened to him based on the Greek folktales and who succeeded him
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Graviton(m): 10:18pm On Nov 18, 2013
Valon4ego: anybody know the what actually happened to Eris, the god of war? In xena the warrior princess, he was kinda dethroned, but in god of war, he was killed by krator.
so I'd like to know what actually happened to him based on the Greek folktales and who succeeded him
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 11:36pm On Nov 18, 2013
pls can i get 2 hear more greek mythology?i am tired of hearing discussions abt d books.pls share d story wit us.graviton and tpia am countin on u guys.dnt fall my hand

1 Like

Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Canine1(m): 12:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
Yeah Gravitron.... very very contradictory, me think its cos d story has been retold several times by different scholars and philosophers .<who didnt belive d story anyway..
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Canine1(m): 1:22pm On Nov 21, 2013
Valon4ego: anybody know the what actually happened to Eris, the god of war? In xena the warrior princess, he was kinda dethroned, but in god of war, he was killed by krator.

Hi friend.. U seem to have confused Ares the God of War with:

Eris

Goddess of Discord
Sister of Ares (the god of War), daughter of Zeus and Hera, the hand of Eriscan be seen in every quarrel, feud and disagreement. Her eternal and unforgiving rage was the cause of fear and respect on Mount Olympos(Olympus), though despised by the Olympians they dared not confront her.
She rode into battle with her brother and companion, Ares, but she was more generally known for the less deadly forms of conflict; political strife, personal contention, rivalry and wrangling.

Because of Eris' disagreeable nature she was the only goddess not to be invited to the wedding of Peleus and Thetis. When she turned up anyway, she was refused admittance and, in a rage, threw a golden apple amongst the goddesses inscribed "To the fairest." Three goddesses laid claim it, and in their rivalry brought about the events which led to the Trojan War.
Eris was closely identified with the war-goddess Enyo. Indeed Homer uses the names interchangeably. Her Roman name was Discordia..
Eris in The Iliad(listed by book and line)

¤.05.518 ...Aineias (Aeneas) returned from the fighting unwounded because the god of the silver bow (Apollon), Ares and Eris were fighting with the Trojans
¤.11.073 ...The soldiers fought like wolves while Eris, the Lady of Sorrow, watched with pleasure

¤.20.048 ...When the Immortals joined the battle for Troy, Eris, defender of people, burst onto the battlefield..
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Canine1(m): 1:44pm On Nov 21, 2013
Ares

The Greek God of War.

Basic Story:Ares is the sole son of the supreme Greek god Zeusand his legitimate wife, Hera. Neither of his far-from-mild-mannered parents were said to be too fond of their even more irritable son; a little more loving nurturing from them might have resulted in Ares being just the God of Minor Conflicts.

Ares' Appearance: A bearded, good-looking man in the prime of life (at least before TV interpretations, where he is portrayed as a vigorous, handsome young man).

Symbol or Attribute:The spear.

Strengths:Decisive, determined, fearless.
Weaknesses:Impulsive, bloodthirsty, raring for a fight regardless of the consequences.
Affairs:No spouse, and his main love is war, but he didn't have too many lonely nights. Repeatedly deceived the smith god Hephaestusby making love with his beautiful wife Aphrodite. The sun god Helios saw them and revealed the affair to the rest of the Olympians, the males of whom dropped down to watch, embarassing Aphrodite and Ares. Supposedly Ares was actually in love with Aphrodite, beyond mere lust. If opposites attract, the God of War and the Goddess of Love would seem to be a sensible match.
The popular game "God of War" cites demi god or divine spirit Kratos as a son and then successor of Ares, but this is not the traditional myth of either Ares or Kratos.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Canine1(m): 3:47pm On Nov 21, 2013
Ω. Kratos

Kratos (Greek mythology) is a god of strength and might, who appears briefly in Greek mythology long enough to make an impression.
Kratos is the brother of Nike (Greek goddess of victory), Bia (Greek goddess of force), and Zelus (Greek god of rivalry). The four of them together were the first to stand with Zeus as he defended Mount Olympus from the god of monsters Typhon.
This is a small, but critical role in Greek mythology, as the story of Typhon is a central myth of the Olympian gods. Kratos doesn't play an enormous role in Greek myth, but his influence in modern mythology appears to be strong.
Kratos in Modern Mythology

Though Kratos in Greek mythology was the god of strength, his name is probably most familiar in modern times as the main character in the popular video game series God of War. Apparently the title "God of War" refers not to the character Kratos but to the Greek god of war Ares, who plays a role in the plot.
Though the character of Kratos in the series is supposedly not derived from the god of strength Kratos of Greek mythology, there are many indications within the game and its creation to suggest that the connection is stronger than one might be led to believe.
For example, the story takes place in ancient Greece and has many of the famous Greek gods and goddesses involved. The character Kratos is a mortal who has a tenuous relationship with the gods, to put it best. But several of the characteristics of the character Kratos come from Greek myth. The designers themselves claimed that they wanted him to look as "Greek and brutal" as possible, which fits well with the imagery of Kratos of Greek mythology.
More telling, perhaps, is the fact that chains are an important theme with the character, both in weaponry and in physical use. This could be seen as tying back to Kratos of Greek mythology's role in the story of Prometheus, at least according to the ancient poem 'Prometheus Bound' by Aeschylus. In 'Prometheus Bound', Kratos, on behalf of Zeus, tells the blacksmith god Haphaestus to chain Prometheus to the rocks of a mountain to serve his punishment for giving fire to the mortal world of humans.
@valon4ego.. to answer ur question, Ares is probably still the god of war.
The real god of war.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 10:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
wow u are a genius canine,it was intriguing.pls can i get more?pls who is hercules den in olympus? And wat abt hades was his evil plan justified?cos in wrath of d titans,it seemed lyk he was justified.and finally,did zeus later die
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by SIRcumalot: 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2013
So percy jackson fans what do u think about house of hades ?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by hyungwang(m): 10:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
Il Capitano: ^^ Yeah. Twas really nice. Have you been able to get your hands on Rick Riordan's new book The House Of Hades?
yeah have read it. I'm still waiting for next book the blood of olympus
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by walex2bad(m): 12:48am On Jul 22, 2014
am begining to develop interest in this books having read through the comment. How can i get them? Should i go for softcopies or hardcopies
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 5:39pm On Aug 20, 2014
Graviton: keep it coming.

Anyone ever noticed that certain accounts of greek myth tend to be contradictory

which ones do you have in mind?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 5:42pm On Aug 20, 2014
Danpersie31: pls can i get 2 hear more greek mythology?i am tired of hearing discussions abt d books.pls share d story wit us.graviton and tpia am countin on u guys.dnt fall my hand

greek mythology is a very wide subject, i'm not really sure which types of stories you're interested in.

however, clash of the titans is generally a good place to start from, its simple, easy to follow and has enough scary parts to keep the plotline going.

pandora's box, the kraken, olympus, jason and the argonauts, etc.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 6:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
itstpia1:

greek mythology is a very wide subject, i'm not really sure which types of stories you're interested in.

however, clash of the titans is generally a good place to start from, its simple, easy to follow and has enough scary parts to keep the plotline going.

pandora's box, the kraken, olympus, jason and the argonauts, etc.

ok lets roll.start wit any1 u want 2..i ll join it wit my exams..
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 7:05pm On Aug 20, 2014
clash of the titans first. (the original movie)

then pandora's box (the tale).

pandora has been posted earlier in the thread.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 11:47pm On Aug 20, 2014
ok start wit any1 u ve and want
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 5:08am On Aug 21, 2014
clash of the titans, movie version.

in which perseus is the hero, goes on a quest to save andromeda, defeats the kraken and saves the day. Helped by pegasus his flying horse. He also has a lot of adventures before the end of his quest.

pandora's box has been posted earlier.
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Danpersie31(m): 7:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
is dat it? I ve watched dat part..it was d 1 b4 wrath of d titans wen zeus died afta he and hades defeated kronus(their father)..i need real narration of a greek story
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by itstpia1: 7:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
That's not the same movie, which one are you referring to?
Re: Calling All Greek Mythology Fans by Nobody: 2:18am On Aug 22, 2014
Before the gods, there were titans who ruled d world in d dark ages. Kronos, their king gave birth to poseidon, hades and zeus..... He ate the first two. Apparently na zeus get muscle, so he killed his father with a scythe which his mother, gaia, gave him. Note that kronos killed his own father with the same scythe. Hades, poseidon and zeus cast lots to determine who will av wat and hades got d underworld, zeus the skies and poseidon the seas.
The gods fought and defeated the titans bt gaia got vexed and decided to create giants to fight the gods. The gods probably won dat fight too sha.....idk

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Requirements For A Successful Talent Discovery / The Missing Soulmate / My First Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.