Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,574 members, 7,955,116 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:26 PM

Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders (8327 Views)

Photo Of Lagos Traffic In 1982 / How To Deal With Strong-armed Robbery In Lagos Traffic. / Photo: Check Out How Orderly Lagos Traffic Was In The 60's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by anishe(m): 11:32am On Jul 17, 2012
This is bad for the image of the State. Only in Nigerian would things be done so rapidly to achieve ulterior motive. Have we put road signs in place to identify one ways, have we created adequate road signs to help and aid motorists? a whole lot of questions begging for answers
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Demdem(m): 11:40am On Jul 17, 2012
Okija_juju:

#GBAM!!

Thats another thing!!

They will not do their part before enforcing shit!!! I will simply advice motorists to carry a camera around with tham and do not resist when you get caught.. Just take pictures of where you were coaught, tak a picture of the entrance (If there is no sign warning motorists against driving into the street) and sue Lagos state government for their monthly budget allocation..

i drive more here in PH and its annoying when one enters a street or road and some cohorts who called themselves TIMARIV jumps on u from no where accusing u of driving against traffic. No ffucking sign at all to warn, how would i know? i be winch?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by lafile(m): 11:45am On Jul 17, 2012
Forget all this jargon written in this new law.
The reason why the fines and penalties are sooo insanely high is so that the offender will be forced to 'discuss' with the lastma official. And you know where that leads to. The 'deliver' of lastma officials has increased and must be met.

Compare the penalties for these second degree fines to the penalties for actual 'hurt your neighbor' crimes.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by mjay(m): 11:46am On Jul 17, 2012
Opportunity for LASTMAN to make more money, now unending negotiation begins hmmmm.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by ocheejemb: 11:54am On Jul 17, 2012
if the fines were reasonable.like 5k or even 10k then yeah offenders 'could' pay...but 20k jus means more bribes

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by mrman2(m): 12:17pm On Jul 17, 2012
More money for lastma officials

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Ajillo: 12:46pm On Jul 17, 2012
Where will these penalties be paid. In court after conviction or on the road before prosecution?
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by basadenet: 1:03pm On Jul 17, 2012
[size=14pt]This Fashola Government will ruin this state if not checked.
despite pronouncement, that it is only court of law that can pronounced
fines for any erring motorists, yet he still try to circumvent this ruling.
Any laws promulgated that are not masses friendly would not stand test of
time and by the time Fashola leave the seat of power, this state would have
turn to FAIL STATE.[/size]
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Enoquin(f): 1:14pm On Jul 17, 2012
Prison terms and fines are so on the high side, as someone mentioned...perhaps our leaders should look more towards community service...the roads are dirty, some places have high grasses, ministries look unkempt...simply make offenders clean the roads, gutters or cut grasses; that way the fear of one's dignity being degraded will be the beginning of observation of driving rules...these penalties are just a sure way to enrich Lastma officials...just pay half the price or a quarter and you are free. undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Blyss: 1:30pm On Jul 17, 2012
NigeriaKwenu: Na waoo

Not only can you not drink while driving, you can't smoke while driving too. Very soon we won't be able to talk while driving or else we face the full weight of the law.

Well, here in the US you're not allowed to talk on your Cell Phone or even text while you're driving. It's a $200 fine the very first time your caught doing it, even though loads of people still do it anyway, they just keep a keen eye out for the police as they do.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by niniman(m): 1:44pm On Jul 17, 2012
when will the house of assembly criminalize bribe taking by lastma and how many years jail time is for Govt functionaries stealing from lagos state govt?
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by warrior01: 1:46pm On Jul 17, 2012
This lagos state govt is so insensitive and callouslly wicked. They found it so difficult to pay 18000 minimum wage but so easy to impose 20000 on a minor traffic offence. Smh
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by DammyFx: 1:51pm On Jul 17, 2012
Will Only Be Effective For Few Months
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 2:54pm On Jul 17, 2012
Demdem:

i drive more here in PH and its annoying when one enters a street or road and some cohorts who called themselves TIMARIV jumps on u from no where accusing u of driving against traffic. No ffucking sign at all to warn, how would i know? i be winch?

Simple..

When next it happens, just allow them to tow your car or better still, drive it to their station, but before you move an inch, take pictures of the entrance to the street and make sure the camera is set with date and time display.. Then sue bothe Rivers State government and TIMARIV to court..
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Reference(m): 2:56pm On Jul 17, 2012
chuckdee4: How can driving with fake number plates attract a smaller sentence than riding a bike without a helmet undecided

Because brain surgeons earn a lot, I mean a lot more than traffic cops.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Demdem(m): 3:11pm On Jul 17, 2012
Okija_juju:

Simple..

When next it happens, just allow them to tow your car or better still, drive it to their station, but before you move an inch, take pictures of the entrance to the street and make sure the camera is set with date and time display.. Then sue bothe Rivers State government and TIMARIV to court..

tow wettin angry angry i dont even stop for them, i zoom off. i almost hit one of them on one occasion. as long as none of them enters ur car, u are good to go. In a country/state where records are non-existent, no shaking. besides unlike their counterparts in lagos, these ones dont yet position nails in front of ur tyres. Dont get me wrong here, i would love to obey the laws but i wont fall for any cheap trap.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 3:14pm On Jul 17, 2012
Demdem:

tow wettin angry angry i dont even stop for them, i zoom off. i almost hit one of them on one occasion. as long as none of them enters ur car, u are good to go. In a country/state where records are non-existent, no shaking. besides unlike their counterparts in lagos, these ones dont yet position nails in front of ur tyres. Dont get me wrong here, i would love to obey the laws but i wont fall for any cheap trap.

So you do what I do too... cheesy

Fortunately for them, I know all the roads of PH like the back of my hands..
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by niyitogun(m): 3:21pm On Jul 17, 2012
This shows how desperate fashola is with raising money with fines and taxes...watchout- more taxes coming to doorsteps soon
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 17, 2012
Sun of god: So they have 'criminalized' driving 'Offences' . . .

These must be the harshest laws in the world!

What if different states implement different laws - then what?

The first thing they should have done (Federal Govt) is made a 'highway code booklet' and distributed to all drivers in Nigeria.

As things stand I'm sure that whatever 'Federal Laws' are in place can be the only laws that stand.

Or is Lagos now a seperate country?

What if my village decide to come up with their own laws - such as 'Any driver that drives with less than half a full tank will be fined 50k or 5 years imprisonment?

Finally, where do the fines go? (Tinubu) and what will they be used for? (Road Safety Improvements or enriching Tinubu and co)

This Fashola ehh . . . .

Grab a book; its usually good for the soul and thought-process.

As a state in a Federal Republic, Lagos has the right to enact and promulgate its own laws. Whether they are viewed as "harsh" or not is besides the point, the bottom-line is you either obey them or move to a State where you feel you can adhere to their laws. . . or you can somehow form your own country and make your own laws.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by RICHIEBOI1(m): 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2012
Okija_juju: Smoking while driving is a crime?!

shocked

WTF?!!

Only in Nigeria!!

You mean only in lagos.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Okijajuju1(m): 4:59pm On Jul 17, 2012
RICHIE BOI:

You mean only in lagos.

I stand corrected..
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 17, 2012
Abeyjide: much revenue for d state cos in lagos ,people are always in a hurry.no mata what,u wil see lots of people dat will violate the rules.wit dis,some will park der cars @ home and @ d end of d day,migration to nearby state wil begin.

GBAM!
Commuters would start switching transportation mode from private cars to public transport aka brt, lagbus and the coming diesel light heavy rail. Coupled with the fact that over 80% of people that drive vehicles in lagos don't even understand the traffic rules/traffic signs. Hence, more money for the newly established LASG driving school, revenue generation and reduction in car ownership. Good idea though but,

The one way signs and other sign boards should be fixed and those Lastma officials should be properly monitored else they would take advantage of the new law to demand for 10k and above bribes.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 17, 2012
Abeyjide: much revenue for d state cos in lagos ,people are always in a hurry.no mata what,u wil see lots of people dat will violate the rules.wit dis,some will park der cars @ home and @ d end of d day,migration to nearby state wil begin.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by danjohn: 5:23pm On Jul 17, 2012
These fines are too expensive. A traffic fine supposed to be a slap on the wrist. They need to set fines that people can pay. If not, folks will opt towards bribing the traffic regulators. 30K fine for an Okada man to pay That is ridiculous in my honest opinion.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Sagamite(m): 10:59pm On Jul 17, 2012
The Lagos State House of Assembly have passed a bill to regulate road usage in the state.

The bill which is aimed at regulating vehicle movement and placing strict sanctions on any vehicle that disobeys the law.

1.Riding a motor-cycle against traffic

2. Riding on the kerb, median or road setbacks

(Penalty) 1st time offender – N20,000.00 subsequent offender N30,000.00 or the riders motor-cycle will be impounded

Does this only apply to motor-cycles (Okada)

3.One way driving.

(Penalty) 3year jail term after psychiatric examination

Are all one-way well and visibly signated? The last time I was in Nigeria, these one-way signs were barely 5ft 8inches tall, the diameters small and indistinguishable from petty trade signs illegally put up. You could at best only see the sign at the last minute. I dare say the public servants responsible for this should utilise the psychiatric examination first before anyone else.

4. Smoking while driving

(Penalty) N20,000.00 fine

Are they fcking have a laugh? This a cretinous law!

5. Failure to give way to traffic on the left at a roundabout
(Penalty) N20,000.00 fine

The fine for this is excessive and would be hard to enforce. If they do not have an accident, how would you be able to prove they committed the offence?

6. Disobeying traffic control
(Penalty) N20,000.00

7.Violation of route by commercial vehicles
(Penalty) N20, 000.00 fine.

8. Riding motor-cycle without crash helmet for rider and passenger
(Penalty) N20, 000: 00 or 3years imprisonment or both.

Kind of harsh when a passenger is included. What about a motorcyclist that accidentally meets a friend on the way and gives the friend a ride? Laws should be people friendly when harm is not being done to others.

9. Under aged person, under 18yrs old riding a motorcycle
(Penalty) N20,000.00.

Who will pay it? They think all this Malo almajiri pikins that journey to Lagos can ride Okada have parents to come and pay fines? How can you prove someones age in a country without birth records?

10. Driving without valid driver’s license.

(Penalty) Vehicle to be impounded.

11. Learner driver without permit
(Penalty) N20,000.00.

12. Driving with fake number plate
(Penalty) 1st offender N20,000.00 and 6 month imprisonment or both.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by tayotee(m): 11:23pm On Jul 17, 2012
Hope this Col. will be a scape goat?

Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by antitpiah: 11:25pm On Jul 17, 2012
Sagamite:

Does this only apply to motor-cycles (Okada)

Motorcycle is one word. There is no point putting a hypen between motor and cycle. From me to you grin, to check when to hyphenate a compound noun look it up in the dictionary. If the word doesnt exist in the dictionary, treat the noun as separate words. In this case "motorcycle" exists in the dictionary.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=motorcycle&ls=a

Are all one-way well and visibly
signated
? The last time I was in Nigeria, these one-way signs were barely 5ft 8inches tall, the diameters small and indistinguishable from petty trade signs illegally put up. You could at best only see the sign at the last minute. I dare say the public servants responsible for this should utilise the psychiatric examination first before anyone else.

Signated? rofl. Someone didn't run spell check, Next time, Mr. Bristol use signaled

http://www.onelook.com/?w=signaled&ls=a

Are they fcking have a laugh? This a cretinous law!

Interesting. Someone thought he was talking to his fellow Shagamites.
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by Sagamite(m): 11:53pm On Jul 17, 2012
antitpiah:

Motorcycle is one word. There is no point putting a hypen between motor and cycle. From me to you grin, to check when to hyphenate a compound noun look it up in the dictionary. If the word doesnt exist in the dictionary, treat the noun as separate words. In this case "motorcycle" exists in the dictionary.

http://www.onelook.com/?w=motorcycle&ls=a

Signated? rofl. Someone didn't run spell check, Next time, Mr. Bristol use signaled

http://www.onelook.com/?w=signaled&ls=a

Interesting. Someone thought he was talking to his fellow Shagamites.

You are a person!

Community college hoodrat, how many times have I told you that it is "doesn't" not "doesnt". Did your cretinous arse not take your own advice and check the dictionary?

Why is it everytime you try to correct my use of English, you end up being humiliated? grin
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by queensmith: 4:50am On Jul 18, 2012
No lagos is something else- soo many mad psychos with cars driving as if their sole intent is to squash people in the road. I thought london was bad!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by fm7070: 12:40pm On Jul 18, 2012
is this a law or money-making venture
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by richyrich4life(m): 4:15am On Jul 19, 2012
Wow!
Re: Lagos Traffic Fines For Offenders by gattoch(m): 3:02pm On Jul 19, 2012
Okija_juju: And there is no offence attached to talking on the phone and driving o!!!

Ndi mmanu na e'zuzu e'zuzu!!
if they add that, we wont be surprised if the whole legislators and our govenors is arraigned for that... to me this laws wont work because traffic is just terrible in Lagos. We are still using 1960 road master plan in 2012. Isn't that sad?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stability Returns After Completion Of Repair Works On Agege Rail Track / FAAN Says All Issues Concerning Enugu Airport Now Resolved / Carers In The UK: Can You Please Share Your Honest Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.