Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

Anybody Conversant With QT GUI Toolkit? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Anybody Conversant With QT GUI Toolkit? (1764 Views)

(URGENT!) For Those Who Are Conversant With CMS. / Hope For C++ Newbies: Gui Toolkits / Anyone Conversant With The Use Of Ruby On Rails And Scala? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anybody Conversant With QT GUI Toolkit? by seyiox(m): 5:08pm On Apr 05, 2006
QT is a C++ GUI programming applics that has found majority usage on linux platform but is available for windows too. Ok i went into it a while back but its pissing me off.
So if there's and expert on this who might want to convince me to stay, i'm all ears
Re: Anybody Conversant With QT GUI Toolkit? by IG: 8:19pm On Apr 05, 2006
Primarily I don't program in C++ but based on my knowledge of Qt I think it's more straight forward than GTK+ or MFC. If you are using it on Linux then you can use a tool called Qt designer to visually design your interfaces. I do not know whether Qt designer for windows exist, since the windows version of Qt is not open source. Although I once came across an open source implementation of Qt but it's not from trolltech (the company that created Qt). You can do a google to find more.
In a nutshell, I think if I'm a C++ programmer Qt will my GUI toolkit of choice.
Re: Anybody Conversant With QT GUI Toolkit? by Seun(m): 1:31am On Apr 20, 2006
Trolltech's QT is probably the best C++ GUI and C++ code abstraction toolkit out there. It has graphics, networking, memory management, and just about everything you need and it weighed 800kb or so last time I checked. It can also be statically compiled so you don't need to distribute any DLLs with your app.

What about QT is pissing you off? Is it the price of the more important Windows version?
Re: Anybody Conversant With QT GUI Toolkit? by Nobody: 2:15am On Apr 20, 2006
If u are programming for KDE/Linux, isuggest u stick with QT: it's quite mature and has a large user base. But if you are working on the windows platform you will have licensing issues to contend with. Unless u don't plan to write GPL'ed software.
Re: Anybody Conversant With QT GUI Toolkit? by seyiox(m): 11:12am On Apr 24, 2006
Nwoke:

What about QT is pissing you off? Is it the price of the more important Windows version?

no it's not like that but i have working gui applics written in qt ( on my slackware ), but as soon as try to run them in fedora, it doesn't work. As if that's not enough i tried copying the source <from slack> so i could compile in fedora but it still gave problems.

I know they might be different <minor> version but the both use qt3 so it should not be a problem.

And no i dont even have plans of using qt (or writing any application) for windows

(1) (Reply)

Php Haters Beat This / J2me Developers In The House / Python Is So Slow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.