Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:56 AM

Nigerian Politics Is Boring - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Politics Is Boring (1210 Views)

Reaction Of Africans When BBC Said Nigeria Flag Is Boring / Politics And Religion-my Experience At Eid Praying Ground Ilorin With Photos / Journey Gets Boring To The Male Trekker Of GEJ As His Partner Gets Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Orikinla(m): 11:53pm On Dec 05, 2007
Nigerian politics is boring.

The posts on this board are enough to support my conclusion, because most of the topics are duplications of other topics and having challenging discussions is like wasting your time.

There are only very few informed commentators and the rest are not different from the crowd at Oshodi market in Lagos, Nigeria.

The majority of the Nigerian electorate are non-literates and semi literates who are always intimidated by the criminal politicians and that is why local thugs like chief Lamidi Adedibu can be accepted by his people and the likes of the ex-president Chief Olusegun Obasanjo.
The return of the primitive native.

Dr. Pat Utomi and others of the Nigerian intelligentsia should not have joined the Nigerian politicians, because it is a waste of quality time to engage them in issues of the state when most of them are not statesmen or women, but opportunists.

I hardly blog Nigerian politics, because there is nothing intellectually challenging to discuss.
The same old stories are circulated daily.
The President, Alhaji Umaru Yar'Adua seems confused and presently, there is nothing worth commending or celebrating about his government. His cabinet is not even as competent as that of the former president. When I watched their screening, I was not impressed.
This is another comedy of errors.

I receive regular progress reports from the office of Nancy Patricia D'Alesandro Pelosi, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives and from other public office holders in the US and other developed nations and their progress reports of what they doing are exciting to those who are committed to the progress of humankind.

What do I read on public office holders in Nigeria?
The same news of corrupt practices, political thuggery and the erroneous or ambiguous rulings of the courts.

The politics of the Second Republic was 100% better than the political aberration of the present motley crowd of political opportunists, vandals and vagabonds, who are posing and posturing to be democratic and patriotic.
What an embarrassment!
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Kobojunkie: 12:03am On Dec 06, 2007
lmao!!!
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Nobody: 2:27am On Dec 06, 2007
You say amala politics is not exciting? grin
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Kobojunkie: 2:32am On Dec 06, 2007
Abegi, make you no even use amala compare with this one ooo. At least amala sweet no be small.!!!
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by oldie(m): 2:59am On Dec 06, 2007
Intelligentsia my foot
Pretending to speak big big grammar does not make you more intelligent than baba Ibadan.
Wasnt Utomi the MD at Volks once? and where is Volks today?
I beg dont rationalize nonsense here.
The so called intelligentsia are part of the problems!
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Kobojunkie: 3:12am On Dec 06, 2007
oldie:

Intelligentsia my foot
Pretending to speak big big grammar does not make you more intelligent than baba Ibadan.
Wasnt Utomi the MD at Volks once? and where is Volks today?
I beg don't rationalize nonsense here.
The so called intelligentsia are part of the problems!

LMAO!!!!!!, I don't know who Pat Utomi is but when I read that line myself, I picture him exactly the same way you described there.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Tylenol: 3:37am On Dec 06, 2007
Oldie don talk true! cool
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by smile4kenn(m): 8:41am On Dec 06, 2007
"Nigeria has one of the most interesting politics in the world" kennedy kenny
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by denex: 10:07am On Dec 06, 2007
Only a madman will claim that Nigerian politics is boring.

Boxing matches, Ghana-must-go, assassinations and murders, impeachments and overturning of election results. What is so boring about all that? Nigeria has one of the most exciting political fields in the world today because it's growing, and it's growing real fast.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Orikinla(m): 10:40am On Dec 06, 2007
Experience is still the best teacher.
I have been involved in the early 1990s and was in the same political campaign office with Dr. Raymond Dokpesi, but I left within months when I saw that these Nigerian politicians were not committed to service.
I just resigned and left without even looking back.

"You no wan enjoy?" was the dumb questions they were asking me.
To them, politics is for their selfish cravings.
There were parties every weekend from Lagos to Abuja.
Money and women of easy virtue were exchanging hands.
I went to the office on Eletu Ogabi Street, on the Victoria Island, in Lagos, dropped my ID card and left.
The Igbos there never knew I was Igbo until I shocked them when I was leaving and spoke the Umuahia dialect of my mother tongue.
I was working for Alhaji Bamanga Tukur with the Director of Publicity and I was also his minder.
I often carried the rifle of the Director of Publicity in a leather bag. We dismantle it into three parts to fit into the small bag and assemble it later.
It is a dangerous weapon to be seen in the hands of a young man.
The situation is even worse now.
A week after I left, IBB cancelled presidential primaries of 1992.

If you have the time, go and spend some quality time with Dr. Gamaliel Onosode at home and ask him why he withdrew from his presidential ambition.

Every truly dedicated legislator should be updating those who elected him or her with progress reports on monthly basis. The progress must be tangible.

denex:

Only a madman will claim that Nigerian politics is boring.

Boxing matches, Ghana-must-go, assassinations and murders, impeachments and overturning of election results. What is so boring about all that? Nigeria has one of the most exciting political fields in the world today because it's growing, and it's growing real fast.

Since the the days of the Wild Wild West in Western Nigeria, assassinations and political riots have only made Nigerian politics backward and boring.
Seeing the same horror movies for decades would bore you.

The vicious circle of political corruption and terrorism cannot excite any sane person, except the kleptomaniacs and their political thugs.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Pepeye(f): 10:49am On Dec 06, 2007
Still the same old peep
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Orikinla(m): 11:07am On Dec 06, 2007
Sample of the latest news on Nigeria from Google News

Nigeria
Nigeria: SCSN Decries Treatment of Muslims By Security Agencies
AllAfrica.com, Washington - 43 minutes ago
The Supreme Council for Shariah in Nigeria (SCSN) yesterday la-mented what it described as persecution against Muslims and Islam in Nigeria by the State ,

Nigeria: FG Reiterates Commitment to Capacity Building in , AllAfrica.com

Nigeria: FG to Reform Public Service With N23bn AllAfrica.com

Nigeria: Yar'Adua Lacks Direction - AC AllAfrica.com

ReliefWeb (press release) - AllAfrica.com
all 29 news articles »

Nigeria: FG Suspends Siemens
AllAfrica.com, Washington - 47 minutes ago
Siemens was indicted by a German court in Munich for paying millions of Euros in bribes to three former commu-nications ministers in Nigeria, ,
Nigeria to blacklist Siemens after bribery scandal Reuters South Africa
Nigeria: FG Blacklists Siemens, Cancels Contract AllAfrica.com
Nigeria suspends telecoms contract with Siemens over alleged bribe , International Herald

Tribune
Trading Markets (press release) - AllAfrica.com
all 19 news articles » SI

If you now investigate the above news and follow up on the FG, you will soon find out that those in the corridors of power in Nigeria are either confused or retarded.

On the Siemens scandal:
The FG only posing and posturing as we saw in the case of Halliburton Natural Gas Bribery Scandal in Nigeria.
Following continued investigations on the alleged $180 million (about N25.2billion) bribery scandal over the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas (NLNG) Project, Halliburton yesterday submitted documents listing the names of Nigeria government officials involved in the scandal to a French judge in Paris.

But in Abuja, the House of Representatives yesterday resolved that all companies linked with TSKJ and Halliburton in Nigeria should be excluded from new contracts pending conclusion of investigations on the matter.

In a bid to absolve itself of any criminal liability, Halliburton has submitted documents listing the names of Federal Government officials involved in the scandal to the French Judge presiding over the investigation in Paris yesterday.
http://www.africaspeaks.com/blog/?p=771

TSKJ and Halliburton are still active in Nigeria.

Let me not bore you with the long list of the rest of the rubbish.

The same PDP government that failed to prosecute the TSKJ and Halliburton is now using the same lie to deceive the ignorant and gullible public on the Siemens bribery scandal.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by demmy(m): 3:24pm On Dec 06, 2007
If its boring then make it exciting or are you not a Nigerian?
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by desgiezd(m): 4:11pm On Dec 06, 2007
Orikinla:

Experience is still the best teacher.
I have been involved in the early 1990s and was in the same political campaign office with Dr. Raymond Dokpesi, but I left within months when I saw that these Nigerian politicians were not committed to service.
I just resigned and left without even looking back.

"You no wan enjoy?" was the dumb questions they were asking me.
To them, politics is for their selfish cravings.
There were parties every weekend from Lagos to Abuja.
Money and women of easy virtue were exchanging hands.
I went to the office on Eletu Ogabi Street, on the Victoria Island, in Lagos, dropped my ID card and left.
The Igbos there never knew I was Igbo until I shocked them when I was leaving and spoke the Umuahia dialect of my mother tongue.
I was working for Alhaji Bamanga Tukur with the Director of Publicity and I was also his minder.
I often carried the rifle of the Director of Publicity in a leather bag. We dismantle it into three parts to fit into the small bag and assemble it later.
It is a dangerous weapon to be seen in the hands of a young man.
The situation is even worse now.
A week after I left, IBB cancelled presidential primaries of 1992.

If you have the time, go and spend some quality time with Dr. Gamaliel Onosode at home and ask him why he withdrew from his presidential ambition.

Every truly dedicated legislator should be updating those who elected him or her with progress reports on monthly basis. The progress must be tangible.

Since the the days of the Wild Wild West in Western Nigeria, assassinations and political riots have only made Nigerian politics backward and boring.
Seeing the same horror movies for decades would bore you.

The vicious circle of political corruption and terrorism cannot excite any sane person, except the kleptomaniacs and their political thugs.

When what the Poster wrote is compared with the one quoted above, it becomes very clear that while in other climes people go into politics to better their communities and do utmost good to the society, what we call politics here is jungle politics (a do-or-die sort of thing) where people lay ambush for themselves and kill in the name of serving the society. To me, that is logic standing on its head. Just take a look at James Ibori and see how he's been running all over the place, from South Africa to Europe to America, back to Nigeria and now Ghana. If politics is played as written by Orikinla, why then would past public office holders not be free to mingle with the society after their tenures? NIGERIAN POLITICS IS RISKY AND DEADLY
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by BlackMamba(m): 4:33pm On Dec 06, 2007
To the contrary, it's always been highly charged and exciting. Coups, (S)elections, impeachments, sham corruption crusades etc.

It's just a sad reality in a country that continues to struggle in the basic concept of Rule of Law.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by ochocinco1(m): 5:57pm On Dec 06, 2007
Orikinla:

Sample of the latest news on Nigeria from Google News

Nigeria
Nigeria: SCSN Decries Treatment of Muslims By Security Agencies
AllAfrica.com, Washington - 43 minutes ago
The Supreme Council for Shariah in Nigeria (SCSN) yesterday la-mented what it described as persecution against Muslims and Islam in Nigeria by the State ,

Basket mouth could not have come out with a funnier headline.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by chidichris(m): 12:39pm On Dec 10, 2007
orinkihla,
if i am not mistaking, i know where u belong. you are like Atiku who remained part of the pdp criminal games till he fall out of favour and only then did he turn back to the masses to shout pdp is corrupt.
you have been in the system and you have been enjoying the game until u become out of fashion for the present day politics and now you know that nigeria politics is borring.
well to give you the support u need, it is borring especially with the results of elections concluded before elections. another factor here is that the same group of leaders continue their rulling with or without the consent of the masses.
it is obvious u are from rivers or somewhere arround there, i will advise you to join the lively game that is if you are not already in it. i am talking about made in nigeria product( kidnapping ) at least that one is not borring.
please remember to concentrate on politicians and members of their families.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Seun(m): 12:44pm On Dec 10, 2007
kidnappings, assassinations, senators boxing each other leading to a death, 3rd term saga. How's all of that not exciting? It may be primitive and crude, but it's definitely not boring.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by almondjoy(f): 1:01pm On Dec 10, 2007
Not boring at all for the class of human beings who participate in it or for the breed of animals that live in Nigeria!
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 10, 2007
agreed, its like an acted script, written like an illiterate
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Orikinla(m): 9:31pm On Dec 10, 2007
While Nairaland was on emergency break, I was having a great time on the Huffington Post as supporters of Hillary Clinton faced the supporters of Barack Obama over the Oprah Winfrey Road Show for Obama.
They had thousands of people at their rallies in Iowa, South Carolina and  New Hempshire, and they were peaceful.
It was exciting.

American politics is not perfect, but very intellectually challenging and exciting. 

Nigerians know how to copy American hip-hop culture, TV Reality Shows and even shopping sprees and speaking in Yankee accent, but we do not copy American democracy and governance.

The Nigerian government has not done any Judicial Inquiry into the deaths of the hundreds of Nigerians killed during the violent April Fool elections. And President Umaru Yar'Adua is talking electoral reform?

Over 100 people were killed during the last mayhem in Rivers state and no Judicial Inquiry.
The list is endless.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by mrpataki(m): 10:07pm On Dec 10, 2007
It is a lost cause. embarassed
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by mazaje(m): 10:13pm On Dec 10, 2007
Orikinla:

While Nairaland was on emergency break, I was having a great time on the Huffington Post as supporters of Hillary Clinton faced the supporters of Barack Obama over the Oprah Winfrey Road Show for Obama.
They had thousands of people at their rallies in Iowa, South Carolina and New Hempshire, and they were peaceful.
It was exciting.

American politics is not perfect, but very intellectually challenging and exciting.

Nigerians know how to copy American hip-hop culture, TV Reality Shows and even shopping sprees and speaking in Yankee accent, but we do not copy American democracy and governance.

The Nigerian government has not done any Judicial Inquiry into the deaths of the hundreds of Nigerians killed during the violent April Fool elections. And President Umaru Yar'Adua is talking electoral reform?

Over 100 people were killed during the last mayhem in Rivers state and no Judicial Inquiry.
The list is endless.

I personally have learned a great deal about politics and how it is supposed to be by closely following the barack obama campaing, why do we keep on killing,maiming and stalking each other all in the name of serving stealing from the nation? We just can't do anything right we are always on the wrong side, i don tire sef no be small.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 10, 2007
Orikinla:

They had thousands of people at their rallies in Iowa, South Carolina and New Hempshire, and they were peaceful.
It was exciting.

The list is endless.
Do you expect to get intellectually challenging politics when education is on a downhill in Nigeria?
Nigerian politics=Drama script written by a leper
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by BigB11(m): 11:05pm On Dec 10, 2007
@post:

Just because Nigerian politics doesn't operate the way you prefer doesn't mean it is boring.
Politics is part of identifying and resolving probelms. Yes, we have problems in Nigeria and I believe it is our responsibility as Nigerian citizens to be attentive and ensure that things are being done the right way.

Not to burst your bubble, but I think politics in United States is extremely boring and almost dead (apart from immigration issues, war in Iraq, President Bush and Mr VP's continuous vilification and white lie, I truly do not see anything intriguing in Politics in United States)
And for your information 85% of the politicians in United States are systematically corrupt; just because these folks don't talk much about corruption doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

We shall never give up till we discover a better strategy to elevate our nation back to the top.
To understand Nigerian politics, you have to be creative, you must know how to improvise, you must be open minded and definitely you must be strong mentally.
This is also why they say "Nigerian Politics is not for boys"

@post:
You sound very frustrated and I can see a picture of a man that has no hope.
Advise for you: Please, stick to United States CNN and leave us alone, while we settle ourselves here at home.

No disrespect!
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Iman3(m): 11:06pm On Dec 10, 2007
Boring is not the most appropriate way to describe Nigerian politics.I think what Orikinla means is that Nigerian politics is devoid of any profound cerebral discourse.Simply put,its not issues driven but personality driven
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Nobody: 11:08pm On Dec 10, 2007
Big B1:

This is also why they say "Nigerian Politics is not for boys"

You are right, Nigerian politics is for thugs.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by romeo(m): 11:46am On Dec 11, 2007
I am not going to take part again in bringing the reputation of Nigeria down with my words! but i honestly crave changes back home.
Let's make our "mini Nigeria" in this thread and come up with ideas that can bring our desired changes to our national politics. I would like the poster to bring up ideas on how we can spice up politics in Nigeria

I dey wait ohhh
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by sholashola: 4:28am On Dec 19, 2007
Perharps you have never been briefed about OYO state politics. You'll never say that again in a thousand years. Fadageri politics. Not good - Yes but boring no. The least expected happens at any time T.
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by Kobojunkie: 4:35am On Dec 19, 2007
davidylan:

You are right, Nigerian politics is for thugs.

LMAO!!!!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Nigerian Politics Is Boring by emperortrinity(m): 9:43pm On Aug 01, 2019
mazaje:

I personally have learned a great deal about politics and how it is supposed to be by closely following the barack obama campaing, why do we keep on killing,maiming and stalking each other all in the name of serving stealing from the nation? We just can't do anything right we are always on the wrong side, i don tire sef no be small.

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Fidel Castro Resigns As Cuba's President / What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil? / Where Is Soludo's Banks Reform?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.