Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,061 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article (20624 Views)

The Igala People In Anambra State / Interesting Images From Precolonial And Early Colonial Africa / Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Revolva(m): 10:10am On Jul 18, 2012
THE IGALA-NATION AS A PROMINENT PRE-COLONIAL NIGERIAN ENTITY.
READ THIS ARTICLE AND TELL US YOUR OPINION
History has it that the igala-kingdom is one of the nine well entrenched kingdoms that existed in pre-colonial Nigeria,with its historical and well celebrated seat of power at idah where tha Atta,Agabaidu cuts the short.History equally has it that the Igala kingdom span from the present day Koton-karfe to Onyedega in Ibaji and its sorroundings which include part of present Anambra north in Anambra state,it also extend to the present day onyagede and north-western part of Idoma land and the entirety of present day Igala-land.
Prior to the advent of colonialism and British particularly in Nigeria,the then existing Nation-states were the Sokoto caliphate,The Karnem -Bornu empire,The greatest Kwararafa Empire,The undefeatable Igala-kingdom,The Nupe Empire,The Oyo Empire,The Benin Kingdom,The oil rich People of present day south-southern Nigeria and The republican Igbo people.in pre-colonial African societies,just like medieval Europe,wars of conquest and liberation were recurring decimal with Nations trying to lord it over each other,the igala-nation was not immuned to this, rather she was engaged with her neighbours at one time or the other,oral history in Igala land has it that the great hausa-nation expandist queen Amina died on the shores of Koton-karfe on the account of Atta’s soldier in an attempt to stop she and her army from entering and infiltrating the Igala kingdom.history also has it that the igala-nation defeated the Benin-kingdom in a fierce battle in the 1660’s where the statue (eju-abeju-ailo)) which is been worn by successive Atta was confiscated as a mark of humiliation of the famous Benin-kingdom.The igala-nation stood tallest amidst the commitee of pre-colonial Nigerian Nations after her historical defeat of the Aku-uka’s army.which mark her absolute independence as a sovereign Nation,she was revered to high heavens till the advent of colonialism .
At colonialism,after her conquest by the British regiment between 1880- 1901,which was achieved after fierce resistant and battle by the then Atta,the Igala-nation became part of what was to be later known as protectorate of Northern Nigeria as a native authority( Igala Native Authority),this singular event mark the begining of a cycle of endless decline in value and prosperity to the Igala-nation and people.it is regretable to note that as a uniting nation-state within the protectorate of Northern Nigeria,the prosperity and development was remarkable and intimidating,she was the richest in cultural heritage and identity,the second richest native authority within the protectorate owing to the booming oil palm trade ( oil was and is still produced in commercial quantity in Igala-land),with the Kano native authority as the richest as a result of the trans-sahara trade.Above all,the Atta ,his kingdom and subject were held in awe and reverence by all the neighbouring entities.
This state of affairs persisted untill the partition of the native authorities into provinces and the subsequent recognition of emerging nation states within the northern protectorate( the Tiv nation having gained her independence from the kwararafa empire was the first to be accorded recognition and empowered by the Huasa-fulani backed colonial masters to weaken the kwararafa empire),at this point of province delineation,the first crack in the unison,might,sense of identity and unity ofpurpoe of the igala-nation and people appeared.in emerging thirteen provinces,a nation with the foregoing status whose existence as a sovereign entity was recognised generally in Africa was considered not consequential enough to be a province,rather a vast percentage of her landmass and people was merged with the relatively unknown okun-yoruba and Ebira to make up the Kabba province with its centre of administration at Kabba while the remaider were cut up in the Oji-river province of present day Anambra State and Benue province of present day Benue state.This act orchestrated by the Hausa –Fulani oligarchy and perfected by the British was meant to checkmate the ever surging influence of the igala-nation and her Kwararafa sister state who suffered similar treatment.
By this act,Idah the centre of igala civilization and seat of power became desolate and decay set in,the igala-nation began to loose her sense of selfpride and identity,her unity of purpose was diffused and a negative precedent of complacency with bad governmental policies and programms set in.The Igala monarchy and her people accepted this act without any form of protest and has ever since lived at the mercy of successive governmental administrations.The protectorate of Northern Nigeria’s capital on her soil at Lokoja (though sold to the Queen of England) was relocated to Kaduna , yet there was no protest,governmental institutions and amenities were been cited without regards to this noticeable entity within the protectorate(which subsequently became Northern Region of Nigeria).
The ugly trend continued through the pre-independence preparation era when the Igala-nation was engrossed in internal leadership sqaubble by the then educated elite who have formed an alliance with the aim of removing the then vibrant Atta Ameh Oboni,consequently,the Igala -Nation paid little or no attention to developmental and resource allocation issues .After this period, sucessive administrations begining from Tafawa Balewa down to Sani Abacha have created states and other minor entity of administration,yet the Igala-nation has been treated with impunity and inattention,she suffered total neglect as the farthest entity from the seat of power in the days of Northern region with Kaduna as its capital city,the State creation exercise of the Gen Gowon era took the Igala-natiion off to Kwara with Ilorin as its capital,there she remained an outsider and played second fiddle roles to people that hitherto rever her.
The igala-nation was again merged with the Tivs and Idomas of the old benue provinc e to make up Benue state in the wake of state creation in 1976,this was not done in response to her agitation,rather it was meant to balance the conditions of creation in favour of the Tiv nation.it should in summarily be stated here that it was in old Benue that the loss of identity and sense of purpose of the igala-nation became revealing.she lost her cultural traits including her attire.(i grew up to see our elders in achi,traditionally weaven dark adire),her festivities have over the years been discredited as diabolic and jettisoned,no rallying point or generally acceptable elderstateman, her values regarded as inferior and her people treated with disdain . The believe in negative spiritualism such as witcraftry and charms were extolled and her people negatively labelled thereto.The end product is that though the Igala-nation has divinely albeit accidentally ended up as the rulling tribe in Kogi state where she was originally encycled and sentenced to perpetual domination by the powers that be,she remain one of the two pre-colonial Nation-State with her jukun brother of the ancient kwararafa empire yet to have a state or a state capital on its soil in a nation of thirty six states including a federal capital territory.she remain the only well populated entity in Nigeria without any form of cultural identity or image(i have visited the office of National tourism development corporation,NTDC on several ocassions on the account of this research to find out whether there is any Igala cultural artifacts with the corporation and why it is not been showcased as those of other nations,but record reveals none),no trace of cultural attire as stated earlier,i have as an Igala activist partook in numerious igala function such as the Ittalo annual festival,Igala-day of Igala Students Association in several schools and more and noticed that why we gather in most of these functions as igala sons and daughters,we are often regretably dressed as either Hausas,Yorubas,Igbos,Niger-deltans and or even the Tivs thus underscoring the fact that we are a people without an identity and as a Nigerian elderstatesman and Hausa fulani apologist Yusuf sule Maitama once rightly said
‘a people without a culture,is a people without an identity.a people without an identity is a people without a future’
This has always been manifest to any preying eye that even in our leadership of Kogi state,our chequered mentality albeit inferiority complex has rubbed off in our affairs,thus we have failed or refused to foist our identity on kogi as it is practiced by other majority in the Nigerian arena(the Hausa-fulani,Igbo and Yoruba’s identity and culture including languages are been foisted on other minorities) while at the states level nations such as the Tivs and Urhobos have given us clue as to how majority tribes identity should be popularised as that of all.I watched on the NTA live broadcast with pity( for myself as an Igala-son,the igala nation and the duo of Drs Ahmadu Alih and late Steven Achema the two illustrious igala sons who have always tried to popularise the igala-traditional attire) the kogi state presidential campaign rally of president Goodluck Jonathan were contrary to established protocol,the president and his entourage including our own son and Governor Ibrahim Idris were all dresed in green-white green agbada as against the traditional attires of the people of the varrious enclaves they visited,this is a testimony of our lack of or lost of identity.
The identity question or challenge staring the Igala-nation and people is equally responsible for the non teaching of the Igala Language in our schools,it is an incontrovertible fact that Nations of the world have ensure the preservation and sustenance of their cultural and identity through effective transmission of same from generation to generation,in recent times,the school system has been identified and adopted as the most effective way of doing same,thus in Nigeria ,Languages such as Hausa, Igbo ,Yoruba, Fulfude, Efik,Tiv and more are been taught in Schools and colleges,i remember with notalgia those days in the 1980s when i understudied Igala at both the junior primary level and the Qua Iboe Church organised Igala classes,it was of tremendous help in consolidating my education foundation.rather than improving on this system by ensuring that Igala as a tribe is studied and taken at the Senior School Certificate Examination,it has been neglected to death with the churches abdicating thereto on the excuse that education is a state responsibility,thus the emerging population of the Igala-nation can barely read and write in their mother’s tongue while those that are or were raised in other parts of the country such as Kaduna,Lagos,kano,Enugu and more were compelled to study and communicate with amazing ease in either Hausa,Yoruba or Igbo.i have met and interacted with numerous Igala sons and Daughters who speak or write Yoruba or Hausa fluently but can hardly exchange pleasantry in Igala hitch free,the argument that these tongues were the only ones nationally recognised while Igala is not cannot hold water as my investigations at the federal ministry of Education and The West African Examination Council have shown that any language can be made a subject of study in Nigeria relevant schools provided the required instructional materials are available,it is worth mentioning here that some pan –Igala organizations have been working on this and the personal effort of Dr Ibrahim Omale ,a foremost igala academics and first Igala rated orator (he single handedly published an igala dictionary amidst several mind bulging igala books which can help in satisfying the FME and WAEC’requirements) is worth commendation and i wish to add that but for the Identity question with the accompanying loss of sense of purpose and direction,the Igala-nation and the leadership of Kogi State can pursue this agenda to a logical end.
In addition to all that has been said,it is equally worth noting that it is only in Igala land that people dont bear their tribal names,they abandon tribal names and pick up engish names for themselves under the disguise of civilisation/westernisation therby generating confusion as to their root,this again is a fall out of the identity and battered psyche questoin confronting the Igala-nation thus igala names are jettisoned for western and islamic names.our own Ojochenemi,Ojochide and Eleojo or Abah,Adejoh and Oguche are left for our Idoma brothers who hitherto were our adoptees but have come to carve a nitche and identity for themselves out of the ruins of our misfortune.imagine an igala named Steven James,Mercy Johnson etc!These has contributed alot in relegating our identity as igala people and nation to the background.
CONCLUSION.
In passing,i wish to state that in my humble opinion,the Igala-nation is one in loss of its identity,values,status and sense of direction.i have sought to unravel the causes of these decline and decay in our once glorious nation and to generate and cross fertilise ideals and strategies of evolving or re-organizing the chequered Igala identtity and regaining her lost pride and dignity.to this end ,i invite comments and suggestions from noble members of project igala.
Ojo ki denyo nwu ane-igala kpai ogbodu-wa (God bless Igala-land and every one of us labouring in this Igala vine yard)

Written by
Ene’ojo John (Ali Ocheje).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by PhysicsQED(m): 10:24am On Jul 18, 2012
history also has it that the igala-nation defeated the Benin-kingdom in a fierce battle in the 1660’s where the statue (eju-abeju-ailo)) which is been worn by successive Atta was confiscated as a mark of humiliation of the famous Benin-kingdom.

lol, is that so? grin

1660s? grin

Anyway, good article. The Igala kingdom was indeed one of the more prominent states in precolonial Nigeria. But on the Igala kingdom, did they actually defeat the Jukun, and if so, when?

And what was the extent of the "Nupe empire" at its height?

1 Like

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by aletheia(m): 10:46am On Jul 18, 2012
@OP: please break up your article into paragraphs for easier reading. Thanks.

I 'd intended starting a thread like this - so I guess I will just contribute here. Will be back.
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Revolva(m): 11:58am On Jul 18, 2012
PhysicsQED:

lol, is that so? grin

1660s? grin

Anyway, good article. The Igala kingdom was indeed one of the more prominent states in precolonial Nigeria. But on the Igala kingdom, did they actually defeat the Jukun, and if so, when?

And what was the extent of the "Nupe empire" at its height?

Pls don't ask me I am not here to argue ok

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by PhysicsQED(m): 6:23pm On Jul 18, 2012
Revolva:

Pls don't ask me I am not here to argue ok

lol, what?

Those were just two simple questions, not an attempt to start an argument. Thought you might actually know.
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 18, 2012
So, the Igala Kingdom whooped Benin lol...

All hail Igala people!! grin
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2012
shymmex: So, the Igala Kingdom whooped Benin lol...

Thats what you always wanna hear! Still mad at the Benins for coloni zing you in your own backyard and even changed your name to "Eko" ? Lmao ! I wonder why the Benin neve fought their Igbo neigbhors .
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 18, 2012
^^^^I know you want me to indulge in the tribal bs with you, but I'll be the bigger man...

Since the Benins never defeated we the Ijebus, I'll continue to laugh at your stupidity... grin
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by PhysicsQED(m): 7:59pm On Jul 18, 2012
shymmex: So, the Igala Kingdom whooped Benin lol...

Nah, didn't happen bro. grin grin

They don't understand the mask dispersion thing. I didn't want to comment on it beyond what I posted above because I respect the significance of the Igala kingdom in precolonial history and don't want "Benin controversies" to distort or disrupt a potentially enlightening thread.

It's kind of a smart thing to do actually. If somebody sent a piece of regalia to a defeated kingdom as a symbol of the political suzerainty of the victorious state over them, it would be smart to later say it was captured from the enemy in battle instead. I might even do the same thing. grin

[Of course there are some people who claim that the mask actually corroborates other claims about the Igala monarchy's - or at least one of the dynasties' - origin from a certain place, but I don't want to get into that discussion either as that would sidetrack the thread as well.]
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 18, 2012
PhysicsQED:

Nah, didn't happen bro. grin grin

They don't understand the mask dispersion thing. I didn't want to comment on it beyond what I posted above because I respect the significance of the Igala kingdom in precolonial history and don't want "Benin controversies" to distort or disrupt a potentially enlightening thread.

It's kind of a smart thing to do actually. If somebody sent a piece of regalia to a defeated kingdom as a symbol of the political suzerainty of the victorious state over them, it would be smart to later say it was captured from the enemy in battle instead. I might even do the same thing. grin

[Of course there are some people who claim that the mask actually corroborates other claims about the Igala monarchy's - or at least one of the dynasties' - origin from a certain place, but I don't want to get into that discussion either as that would sidetrack the thread as well.]

I was just being sarcastic... grin
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Obiagu1(m): 9:48pm On Jul 18, 2012
What would one expect to happen when Igala people dress like Hausas?
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Revolva(m): 11:20pm On Jul 18, 2012
Obiagu1: What would one expect to happen when Igala people dress like Hausas?

For ur information igalas don't dress like hausas we have our own attire its just that trough time it did not follow up with the culture but its a stripe of yellow and black and its just like every african native attire so how does an hausa man dress tell me or is it because the agaba idu the great who has fallen asleep is a muslim - FYI he is the first muslim to be an attah ok and very educated ok yes we know some igalas are muslim but the ones found in southern kogi down to the river niger shores and close to anambra. North are predominantly christain ok

1 Like

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Obiagu1(m): 12:26am On Jul 19, 2012
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Revolva(m): 7:04pm On Jul 20, 2012
Obiagu1: [img]http://newsmailonline.files./2010/10/picture-1222.jpg[/img]
Bros you read in the earlier post igala traditional attire has lost its occurence in the people today due to religion and other forces but that does not mean the tradition is lost never ok if you believe the type of clothes worn in this pics are only worn by hausas what about the auchis in edo north and also some yoruba dress dis way ok all is due to muslim influence ok the late attah was a muslim so he has dis turbaning and he has been ruling also the ochi idoma also was turbanned except the tor tiv because the islamic jihadist was not able to enter tiv land and force islam on them.
And let me tell you the southern igalas also wear red cap just as you igbos or aniomas do wear ok the same infact igalas close to anambra do wear it
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 12:18pm On Jul 21, 2012
Na lie,Igala never dress like hausa.We have our own native dressing.
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by GreatBenin: 4:41am On Aug 06, 2014
I hope this silence those who are still doubting the heavy defeat suffered by Igala in the hands of Great Benin warriors.

PART 1
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE IGALA KINGDOM

It is not possible to assign any specific date as to when the Igala kingship or the institution of the Attahship began due to the absence of historical records and the diversity of legends and traditions surrounding these institutions. Various traditions link the Igala kingship with the Yoruba, Nupe, Benin and Jukun. Similarities as well as differences in the institutions of divine kingship and court ceremonials among the Igala, Yoruba, Benin and Jukun have led among other things to controversies among historians about the origin of Igala kingship.
Some (historians) claim that the first Igala came from Yoruba, others say that he came from Benin. Others believe that he came from Jukun. These claims or hypothesis make many people believe that the members of Igala ruling family are aliens. But others believe that the origin of Igala kingship is Igala.
THE DIFFERENT TRADITIONS THAT LINK THE IGALA KINGSHIP TO THE YORUBA, NUPE, BENIN AND JUKUN

a. The Igala kingship and Yoruba connection
i. Bishop Crowther: Bishop Ajayi Crowther recorded tales of a foreign prince who migrated to Idah at an unknown date. ‘A Yoruba Oba travelled to Rabba the old Nupe capital on the Niger and beseeched the Nupe king to provide him with a suitable habitat. He was taken to Idah where the Akpoto the owners of the land allowed him to stay.

ii. Adolphe Burdo: Adolphe Burdo in the course of his journey along the Niger in 1878 gave related version of the original story of the Igala kingship with that of Bishop Crowther. Burdo writes that ‘After the annexation of the Yoruba to the Fulani by the king. The Sultan of Rabba asked for another state in exchange of what he lost. Far from being angry the sultan set out and descended the Niger and arrived at Idah which the Akpoto then inhabited. He bought the territory and installed there the defeated sovereign who took the title of Attah which signifies father or patriarch.
iii. Dr. J. S. Boston: Dr. Boston seems to favour the view that the origin of the Igala kingship is Yoruba. In his contributions to the journal of historical society of Nigeria (No. 3 December 1962), he recognized the Yoruba, Benin and Jukun influence on Igala kingship. He finally said tat Yoruba link may be the most ancient. b. The Igala kingship and Benin link

i. Bishop Crowther: During his visit to Idah in 1854, Bishop Crowther also recorded another story about the origin of the Igala kingship. According to Bishop Crowther, the Igala country originally belonged to Akpoto tribesmen and that the king was named Igala (Ogala). The first Attach was a hunter by profession who came from a tribe named Ado (Edo) to the west of the Niger. He curried favour with Igara the king by gifts of game. Later as a result of a quarrel, he expelled Igara (the king) from Idah and became king.

ii. Chief Amana Edime: Chief Amana Edime, the Ochai Attah of Igala is of the view that the origin of Igala kingship is Benin. He noted that there was a Benin Prince and a hunter who set up a camp at Ojuwo Atogwu (Attah Ogwu) near Igalogba. He gave gifts of game to the local population. The prince was said to have miraculous powers of healing sick people in the area. Because of these alleged divine powers and popularity and with the people and when asked to accept the kingship (he) agreed.
iii. Mr. Jacob Egbarevba: A Benin historian, Mr. Jacob Egbarevba is also of the view that the origin of the Igala kingship is Benin. According to him, the first Attah was a Benin Prince who was sent there by an Oba of Benin.

iv. Mr. K. C. Murray: Mr. K. C. Murray a historian and fine Artist is of the opinion that the origin of Igala kingship is Benin. In his discussion of the Royal Mask (Eju b’eju ailo) at Idah, he said that is was a beautiful example of Benin work of fairly early period when Ife influence was strong.
v. G. T. Mott: Mr. G. T. Mott, a former British Colonial Officer in the Igala division argued in an unpublished report that the origin of the Igala kingship is not Jukun but Benin. He based his deductions on probable Benin origin of Attah’s mask(Eju beju ailo) the wearing of beads on the wrists as symbols of chieftaincy and the keeping of the kings death secret for a number of years.

c. The Igala Origin of Igala kingship
i. Okwoli P. E.: In 1973, the author (Mr. Okwoli P. E.) concluded that the origin of the Igala kingship is Igala. According to him, Idah the traditional Igala capital had the economic, social and geographical factors which enabled the earliest inhabitants to evolve their kingship. He believes that the earliest Igala Attah lived in the Igalamela area called Opata (Olopu Attah). He also believes that at certain stages of the development of the Igala kingship at Idah certain importance influences such as the political intrusions of new rulers reached Idah, first from Benin and secondly from Jukun. He also identified three dynasties in the development of the Igala kingship Igala, Benin and Jukun dynasties.

d. The Igala kingship and Jukun connections
i. Mr. Clifford Miles: Mr. Clifford Miles former British Colonial Divisional Officer in Igala, firmly views that the origin of Igala kingship is Jukun. The Igala chiefdom he argued was founded by the ancestress Queen Ebulejonu, the daughter of Abutu Eje a noble of the Jukun court at Wukari. Abutu Eje left Wukari with a large crowd as a result of political reasons and migrated westwards along the southern bank of the river Benue and came to a temporary halt in the vicinity of Amagede (now in Omala LGA) where he Abutu Eje died, his daughter, stepped into her fathers shoes and led her people from Amagede to Idah were she was installed as the first Attah Igala.
So began the regime of the Attah in Idah. It is not possible to give an accurate / precise date to this event, but in all likelihood the colonization of the Agatu – Ochekwu Amara (Omala) area occurred in the early part of the 17th century, and Ayegba’s arrival at Idah towards the close. This tradition is generally accepted by the present Attah ruling family at Idah.

ii. Attah Aganepoje, Idoko and Ayegba Oma’Idoko On the death of Queen Ebulejonu her brother Aganepoje was installed as the Attah Igala. When Aganepoje died, his son Idoko took his place. When Idoko died his son Ayegba Om’Idoko was installed as the Attah Igala. Attah Ayegba Om’Idoko can be regarded as the political founder of the present ruling Jukun dynasty in Igala, because the present Attah’s ruling families trace their descent from him. Again the ruling sub-clans in the districts of Igalaland trace their descent from him as well.

The Attah’s royal clans or families at Idah are divided into four ruling families. The institution of Attah therefore rotates within these four ruling houses. Their founders are Akogu, Ocholi, Amacho and Itodo Aduga. Their descendant are known as Aju Akogu, Aju Ocholi, Aju Acho, and Aju Itodo Aduga. But the descendants of Itodo Aduga (Aju Itodo Aduga) the descendants of Amacho (Aju Amacho) could be called Aju Aku or Aju Akumabi, because Attah Akumabi was the founder of the group before it was split into two for political reasons.

iii. The list of Igala King it is obvious, judging from the age of the Igala kingship or Attahship that the names of many Igala kings must have been forgotten or lost. For example
i. Only two names of Igala kings are recorded during the period of the Igala dynasty from about 1200 to 1450 AD.
ii. During the regime of the Benin dynasty, the only prominent Attah recorded by historians was Aji-Attah. It was this Attah that led the Igalas during the Igala – Benin war of 1515 – 1516. The Benin dynasty lasted from about 1450 – 1650 AD. However an Igala historian, Mr. Yusufu Etu recorded the name of other Attahs during his period and they were Olema I, Anogena, AGbo, Agochi and Olema II.
iii. An Igala chief (the Onupia) told Bishop Crowther during his visit to Idah in 1854 that twenty persons had taken the Attah Igala title since the office was instituted. He said that the (then) Attah Igala (Attah Amocheje) was the twentieth. This means that the present Attah Igala (His Royal Majesty Alhaji Aliyu Obaje) would be the thirty-first Attah Igala and not the twenty – fourth beginning from Queen Ebulejonu of the Jukun dynasty. Therefore the list of kings that exist as of now does not contain the names of all the Attah’s of Igala.

iv. The wars of independence The Attah of Igala was historically a vassal of the Benin and Jukun kings. In an attempt to be independent, the Attah fought two wars. The first was Igala-Benin war of 1515-1516 and the second the Igala-Jukun was of the 17th century AD.
a. The Igala – Benin was (1515-1516) During the reign of Oba Esigie (1504 AD) a war was fought between the Igala ad Benin. The causes of the war were as follows:
i. The desire of both the Oba of Benin and the Attah of Igala to control trade along the river Niger.
ii. The fear on the part of the Oba of Benin that the northern part of his kingdom was not secure due to the expanding influences of the Attah Igala in that area.
iii. The personal friction between the Oba of Benin (Oba Esigie) and A Benin noble man (the Oliha) who wanted to overthrow the Oba.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by GreatBenin: 4:43am On Aug 06, 2014
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE IGALA KINGDOM
Part2

The reigning Attah Igala at this period was called Aji Attah. He was a younger brother of Oba Esigie according to the traditions recorded by Mr. P. A Talbot, Mr. Talbot recorded that during the reign of Oba Esigie, the Igala are said to have been said to have been driven over to eastern side of the river Niger. Oba Esigie is also stated to have defeated his younger brother Aji Attah of Idah. It may be that the Idahs had been previously conquered and that the brother who had been put in charge rose against Oba Esigie.
During this war the Portuguese Christian Missionaries fought on the side of Oba Esigie. It was these missionaries who recorded the war. The Igala were defeated because the Portuguese Missionaries introduced gins and firearms. After the war, the Attah Igala secured his independence from the Oba of Benin, who now controlled the west bank of the Niger. Around this time the town of Agenebode was founded to secure the northern part of the Benin kingdom.

The Igala – Jukun war 17th century AD Between the Igala Benin war and the Igala Jukun war, there was a gap of more than one hundred and fifty years. It should be remembered that when Queen Ebulejonu established the Jukun dynasty at Idah, Igalas once again lost their independence and became a vassal to the Jukun king, the Aku Uka. Igalas continued to pay tribute to the Aku until the reign of Attah Ayegba Om’Idoko.
As soon as Ayegba OmaIdoko was installed as the Attah Igala, he refused to pay these tributes. The continued defiance of the authority of the Aku Uka of Wukari resulted in him sending a force to bring Attah Ayegba to task. When the Jukun soldiers arrived at Idah, fear and terror gripped all Idah people. A Muslim preacher advised Attah Ayegba to sacrifice to the land spirit which he loved most to ensure the safety of his kingdom. But Attah Ayegba was not ready to accept the advice. His daughter princess Inikpi got the information and realizing the danger threatening her father’s kingdom ordered a pit to be dug at Idah waterside. She descended into the pit with her nine slaves and all were buried alive. Again the Moslem preacher scarified another woman called Odoko so as to save Attah Ayegba and his kingdom. This woman was also from the Attah’s family. Her grave is in Angwa Ayegba village Idah. A clan named after her is called ‘Omodoko’. The Moslem preacher also prepared charm that was cast into the river Inachalo. It miraculously produced a rise in the number of fish in the river, which the Jukun ate. The result of the large consumption of fish (by the Jukum) led to an outbreak of cholera in the Jukun camp. Attah Ayegba and his soldiers fell upon them and inflicted a crushing defeat.

Attah Ayegba pursued the Jukuns with his soldiers as far as the river Ochekwu about thirty kilometers west of Otukpo town. Here a truce was called and the boundaries between the Igala and Jukun kingdoms was settled. With the settlement of boundaries the Igala kingdom once more regained its independence.
Territorial expansion
Attah Ayegba vigorously pursued territorial expansion of his kingdom. Successive Attahs that did the same thing included the following: Akumabi, Akogu, Ocholi, Ameh, Ocheje and Aku Odiba. By the end of 18th century AD. The Igala kingdom had developed into a powerful state.

At the height of its power, during the reign of Attah Aku Odiba, the kingdom stretched northwards across the Niger to embrace the Lokoja, Kotonkarfe and Kakanda people. It also stretched northeast to include the Idoma country. The chiefs of Otukpo, Boju, and Adoka went to Idah to get beads of office from the Attah. The kingdom also stretched eastwards covering the whole of the old Nsukka division and to Adamagu a few kilometers north of Onitsha town. The kingdom also went westward to Ajakuta covering the whole of the Igbira country.
The administration of the kingdom Soon after the Igala Jukun war, Attah Ayegba began the reorganization of his kingdom. He reorganized the central administration, the advisory council, palace and district administration.
a. The Prime Minister

Attah Ayegba re-appointed Omeppa: the Achadu his prime minster. This was because of his loyalty during the Igala Jukun war.
b. The royal councilors
Attah Ayegba created the offices of royal councilors. These offices are hereditary within Ayegba descendants. The most senior royal councilors include the following: Amana Attah, Ochai Attah, Makoji Attah, Odoma Attah, Egene Attah, Ohiemogbolo Attah, Ekpa Attah, Inalogu Attah, Odekina Attah and Omolobu Attah.
c. The Igalamela and state advisory council Attah Ayegba re-constituted the state advisory council made up of the Achadu; the prime minister, the senior royal councilors and the Igalamela chiefs. The advisory council was the link between the Attah and his subjects
d. The king makers

He also re-constituted a body known as the king-makers comprising the Achadu (prime ministers) as the chairman, the Igalamela chiefs. They had responsibility for the installation of the new Attah and the funeral rites of the deceased Attah.
e. The district Administration
Attah Ayegba Appointed his son and trustworthy relatives and followers as district heads. The district heads Attah Ayegba also decentralized authority, as it was not possible to administer the whole kingdom directly from Idah at his period.
f. Palace administration In the Attah’s court there were two groups of officials; the royal servants (Amedibo) and the Attah’s eunuchs (Amonoji) who were central in the administration of the palace. The head of the Amedibo was Ogbe. There are chiefs in their own right. These palace officials performed similar functions, they protected the Attah, helped in mobilizing the people to repair houses, the palace walls and carried messages to the districts and collected tributes for the Attah. They acted as intermediaries between the Attah and his chiefs as well as his subjects, protected the Attah’s treasures, royal robes and regalia. The eunuchs protected the Attah’s wives and performed rituals for the Attah. The titled eunuchs were exclusive officers and their head the Ogbe was an important judge in the kingdom, presiding over the Attah’s court with the obligation of informing the Attah about court proceedings.
g. Women chiefs

Attah Ayegba established some chieftaincy titles for women. There are titles reserved for women from Attah’s royal family (the Attah’s sisters). There are titles also reserved for the Attah’s wives. Iye Ogbaba and Iye Dadu Akuma Attah, Iye Okponokwu, Iyya Attah, Omiya Ina, Omiya Kekele (Omiakele).
The decline and fall of Igala kingdom Around the 18th century AD the Igala Kingdom was at the height of its frame and power around the middle of the 19th century, it began to decline and in January 1900, it finally lost independence and sovereignty. Two main factors contributed to this, internal weaknesses and external forces.

a. The internal weaknesses
i. The size of the kingdom
The first internal weakness was the sheer size of the kingdom. As it grew in size, it became more difficult to keep the remote districts under proper control due to poor communications in those days.
ii. The constitution
Another internal weakness lay in the constitution. The Igala state was a loose state with the district heads in the northest exercising a kind of autonomy.
iii. The break up of Igalamela
Another internal weakness was the removal of the Igalamela chiefs from state advisory council. Attah Ameh Ocheje accused the Igalamela chiefs of assassinating his predecessor Attah Ekelaga and replaced then with royal councilors. The Igalamela chiefs who had checked the activities of oppressive Attah’s could not exercise this function after their removal from the council.

iv. The collapse of the state economy Another internal factor which weakened the kingdom and led to its decline was the collapse of the slave economy as the slave trade was an important aspect of the state economy. The Igala people traded in slaves with Europeans. In 1841, Attah Ameh Ocheje signed the treaty on the abolition of the slave trade and so the kingdom could no longer openly trade in slaves. However the igala kingdom was lucky it had alternatives produce like palm produce. This trade however took a long time to develop.

b. The external factors
The external factors which led to the decline of the igala state were the Fulani Jihad and European interventions
i. The Fulani Jihad
The Fulani jihad launched in Sokoto in 1804 reached the confluence of the Niger and Benue by 1850. In 1853 Etsu Masaba of Nupe took Koton Karfe and Lokoja, then part of the Igala kingdom. The Igbira kingdom of Panda was also destroyed.
By 1854, the Fulani had become a real threat to the kingdom, the sourthern bank became flooded with refugees. They carried out sporadic raids in Ife district. The refugees, who crossed to the Igala kingdom, begged Attah Amaga to allow them stay in the area and he agreed. These refugees include Igbira Mozum, Bassa Nge, Bassa Komo, thereby introducing a new clement into the Igala kingdom namely minority groups.
ii. The European intervention

The European intervention came in the form of commercial firms eg the Royal Niger Company. The British government gave a royal charter to this company in 1886. The charter empowered the company to do business in the Niger Benue basin. The company’s area of influence stretched from Asaba, its headquarters, to Jebba in the river Niger and Ibi on the Benue river. The company opened trading posts at Idah, Itobe, Gbobe and Bagana. Unfortunately it made unfavourable regulations that ruined the economy of the local people. The Attah of Igala’s treasury was ruined.
iii. The declaration of the protectorates of Northern and Southern Nigeria
In 1900, the British government decided to take full responsibility for the territories acquired by the royal Niger company. In January 1900, British formerly assumed a protectorate over Northern and Southern Nigeria. With the death of Attah Amaga in February 1900, the independent sovereign state of Igala came to an end.
Opposition to foreign rule Prince Akwu Agahiu, Attah Ocheje Onokpa, Adukwu Okekwu and others
a. Prince Akwu Agahiu
Prince Akwu Agahiu was the first son of the Attah Amaga who died in 1900. During his fathers reign, the royal Niger company controlled all the political and economic life of Igala people. Atta Amaga’s treasury was empty.
Prince Akwu Amaga had no alternative but to organize guerilla war fare against the European traders and the royal Nigeria company. He was a nationalist opposed to the European takeover of the political economic life of the people. He and his followers raided the royal Niger company’s stires at Idah several times and killed many European traders. He also organized guerrilla activities on the river Niger. The royal Niger Company reacted by bombarding Idah town twice between 1896 and 1900.

b. Atta Ocheje Onokpa
Attah Ocheje was installed as the Attah Igala in 1901 under the supervision of British colonial officials. After his installation he refused to believe that his predecessor Attah Amaga had surrendered his sovereignty to the British Government. He also refused to accept that his kingdom could be partitioned into northern and southern divisions. He rejected a situation where he was not given any role in the administration of his kingdom.
Despite Attah Ocheje Onokpa being a nationalist he could not rally his people to fight the British administration. This was because the British administration succeeded in isolating him from his chiefs and subjects an accused him of conspiracy and acts capable of disturbing the peace in the area. As a result the colonial administration deposed him in 1903 and banished him to Asaba where he died.

c. Adukwu Okekwu
Another Igala nationalist who opposed foreign rule was Adukwu Okekwu. He and his followers reorganized guerilla war against the British colonial administration. In march, 1903 Adukwu Okekwu launched an attack on the assistant district commissioner for Idah Mr. Boyle and his escort of about twenty men. They were on their way from Idah to the Anambra river creek (the Afa-Obale area in Ibaji) through Alade when attacked. My Boyle and his escort escaped and returned to Idah. The acting High Commissioner Mr. Leslie Robyn directed that a small military expedition be sent to area. This military unit attacked Adukwu Okekwu’s stronghold in the forest and destroyed the village. He was captured and sent to Asaba for trial in the Supreme court of the Royal Niger Company and sentenced to detention or exile for ten years. He was exiled to old Calabar where he died. As a result of Adukwu Okekwu’s activities, military garrisons were established in Idah and Ogrugu.
d. Other nationalities in Igala kingdom
Other Igala nationalities who opposed foreign rule were Odoma Okolobade (a brother to Attah Ocheje Onokpa) Ujogo Onegote (Onu Egume) Inedu Obi (Onu Ankpa), Oguche Agi (Onu Ankpa) etc. These people were suppressed by military force.

9. Opposition to the partition of the Igala Kingdom
a. Attah Oguche Akpa, Prince Atabo Ijomi and Amanabo Ogili
In 1900, the Igala kingdom was partitioned into two. The southern section which comprised the present Ofu, Igalamela / Odolu, Idah and Ibaji local government areas were made part of Onitsha province of southern Nigeria. The Northern section which comprised the present Bassa, Dekina, Omala, Ankpa and Olamaboro Local government areas were made part of Bassa Province in Northern Nigeria.
Bassa province was divided into three administrative division:
i. Dekina division comprising: Bassa Komo, Dekina and Egume districts
ii. Ankpa division comprising: Abejukolo, Imane, Ankpa and Ogugu districts
iii. Boju division comprising: Idoma, ojokwu and Agatu districts.
The colonial administration appointed alien district heads mainly Hausa to rule in the above districts. Idah the southern section of the kingdom was regarded by the government of southern Nigeria, as a district. A colonial high commissioner was appointed to rule it. Some historians were of the opinion that the Attah was just a powerful district head at that time.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by MNDY(m): 6:59pm On Nov 21, 2014
[quote author=Revolva post=11472657]THE IGALA-NATION AS A PROMINENT PRE-COLONIAL NIGERIAN ENTITY.
READ THIS ARTICLE AND TELL US YOUR OPINION
History has it that the igala-kingdom is one of the nine well entrenched kingdoms that existed in pre-colonial Nigeria,with its historical and well celebrated seat of power at idah where tha Atta,Agabaidu cuts the short.History equally has it that the Igala kingdom span from the present day Koton-karfe to Onyedega in Ibaji and its sorroundings which include part of present Anambra north in Anambra state,it also extend to the present day onyagede and north-western part of Idoma land and the entirety of present day Igala-land.
Prior to the advent of colonialism and British particularly in Nigeria,the then existing Nation-states were the Sokoto caliphate,The Karnem -Bornu empire,The greatest Kwararafa Empire,The undefeatable Igala-kingdom,The Nupe Empire,The Oyo Empire,The Benin Kingdom,The oil rich People of present day south-southern Nigeria and The republican Igbo people.in pre-colonial African societies,just like medieval Europe,wars of conquest and liberation were recurring decimal with Nations trying to lord it over each other,the igala-nation was not immuned to this, rather she was engaged with her neighbours at one time or the other,oral history in Igala land has it that the great hausa-nation expandist queen Amina died on the shores of Koton-karfe on the account of Atta’s soldier in an attempt to stop she and her army from entering and infiltrating the Igala kingdom.history also has it that the igala-nation defeated the Benin-kingdom in a fierce battle in the 1660’s where the statue (eju-abeju-ailo)) which is been worn by successive Atta was confiscated as a mark of humiliation of the famous Benin-kingdom.The igala-nation stood tallest amidst the commitee of pre-colonial Nigerian Nations after her historical defeat of the Aku-uka’s army.which mark her absolute independence as a sovereign Nation,she was revered to high heavens till the advent of colonialism .
At colonialism,after her conquest by the British regiment between 1880- 1901,which was achieved after fierce resistant and battle by the then Atta,the Igala-nation became part of what was to be later known as protectorate of Northern Nigeria as a native authority( Igala Native Authority),this singular event mark the begining of a cycle of endless decline in value and prosperity to the Igala-nation and people.it is regretable to note that as a uniting nation-state within the protectorate of Northern Nigeria,the prosperity and development was remarkable and intimidating,she was the richest in cultural heritage and identity,the second richest native authority within the protectorate owing to the booming oil palm trade ( oil was and is still produced in commercial quantity in Igala-land),with the Kano native authority as the richest as a result of the trans-sahara trade.Above all,the Atta ,his kingdom and subject were held in awe and reverence by all the neighbouring entities.
This state of affairs persisted untill the partition of the native authorities into provinces and the subsequent recognition of emerging nation states within the northern protectorate( the Tiv nation having gained her independence from the kwararafa empire was the first to be accorded recognition and empowered by the Huasa-fulani backed colonial masters to weaken the kwararafa empire),at this point of province delineation,the first crack in the unison,might,sense of identity and unity ofpurpoe of the igala-nation and people appeared.in emerging thirteen provinces,a nation with the foregoing status whose existence as a sovereign entity was recognised generally in Africa was considered not consequential enough to be a province,rather a vast percentage of her landmass and people was merged with the relatively unknown okun-yoruba and Ebira to make up the Kabba province with its centre of administration at Kabba while the remaider were cut up in the Oji-river province of present day Anambra State and Benue province of present day Benue state.This act orchestrated by the Hausa –Fulani oligarchy and perfected by the British was meant to checkmate the ever surging influence of the igala-nation and her Kwararafa sister state who suffered similar treatment.

What's up Revolva? Holla back at me at "themondthe@gmail.com" when you see this!
----------------
Oma Igala u che! Abu ewn de? Awa awa dei!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by tpiadotcom: 8:02pm On Nov 23, 2015
^ why did you bump the thread?
Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by IamAtribalist: 9:47pm On Nov 23, 2015
cool FACT: Yeeboos used to be SLAVES to Igallas then the got their freedom and went straight to become Ijaw slaves. History is remarkable.

1 Like

Re: The Igala-nation As A Prominent Pre-colonial Nigerian Entity. Read This Article by Igodomigodo1: 6:47pm On Nov 28, 2019
https://kigalaonline./2017/07/07/igala-kingship-history/

Distortion No. 4

That the Igala Kingdom has never been defeated in any war in all of its history.

This statement is not true, as there are three or so recorded wars in which the Igalaa army was roundly defeated and had to beat a hasty retreat in each case. These are as follows:

The Benin Empires conquest and occupation of Igalaland in 1507 AD when the Igala army was no match for the more numerous soldiers of the Benin army
The Igala-Benin War of 1515-1516 AD; and
The Bassa Komo Rebellion in 1856 AD.
The first was the war led by a Benin Prince, Aji Attah (Ata) against Ata Ọgálá Eri in 1507. Robert Arthur Sargent, in his 1984 PhD Thesis, titled, Politics and Economics in the Benue Basin, reports that the Benin army had attacked, conquered and occupied the Igalaland to establish a Bini (or Aji Ata) Dynasty.

The second war in which the Igala troops were defeated was the Aji-Attah-Oba Esigie face-off – a war of two brothers having the same father – which early historians erroneously referred to-as the “gala-Benin War” of 1515-1516. Eight years after Aji Ata had conquered and seized the Ata’s throne and land, he mobilized the Kingdom’s army to fight and remove his brother, Oba Esigie who was installed in 1509 and take over the throne; but the Igala army was roundly defeated. While some settled at the present-day Ebu, near Asaba, others settled at Ibaji and Ilushi (Òjìgónó) area of Edo State.

Prince Okoliko, who later became the Ata-Igalaa between 1870 and 1876, had teamed up with a man named Ódomà Abáláká of the Òhiémi Ọ̀bọgọ Lineage to rustle the Bassa Komo camp at the present-day Ògwùmà on the bank of the River Benue when they were pouring into Igalaland in large numbers, fleeing from slave raiders, and were given refuge by Ata Aame Ocheje (1835 – 1856). Okoliko and Odoma had formed the habit of sneaking into the Bassa camp, stealing them and selling them into slavery. The victims sent word across to their kith and kin who mobilized a formidable force against their transgressors. In the war that ensued, the Igala army was driven into a mire and were killed in large numbers. Odoma and Okoliko narrowly escaped death, as their troops were mowed down by the aggrieved Bassa warriors.

A comprehensive account of the the Bassa Komo Rebellion, see the Postscript section of my book, titled, An Igala-English Lexicon, under the heading Odoma Abalaka (p. 619-620).

Excerpts but continue below....

IGALA KINGSHIP HISTORY
JULY 7, 2017 / KIGALAONLINE
HEADING2

Igala history is a priceless legacy that Igalas of the present generation are compelled to preserve for effective transfer to the next generation in undiluted form. A people’s history fraught with controversies and distortions cannot stand the test of time. It is to avoid such a calamity that this blog post is being placed in the public domain. There is no doubt the effectiveness of the social media as an outlet for write-ups on the language, history and culture of the Igalas. However, it has been painfully observed that the version of Igala kingship history that is being churned out on the social media is, sometimes, misleading, as some of the narratives are supported only by oral tradition, which could lend itself to distortions, misrepresentations or even outright fallacies. Some of the distortions recently observed on Facebook and Whatsapp are examined below. The true versions of such distortions, which are based on research findings, are provided in each case.

DISTORTION NO. 1

The first distortion is that Àbùtù Ẹ̀jẹ̀ was the first Ata-Igalaa in history

This statement that Àbùtù Ẹ̀jẹ̀ was the first Ata-Igalaa ever is misleading, as Àbùtù Ẹ̀jẹ̀ (or his daughter, Ébúlẹẹ́jonú), belong to the Third Dynasty; that is, the ruling Jukun (or Apa) Dynasty, which, according to R. A. Sargent, commenced in 1687 AD, the same year the reign of the Bini Dynasty came to an end. The influx of the Jukuns, who had broken away from the Kwararafa Confederacy, occurred between 1597 AD and 1627 AD. At this time, the Aji Ata (or Bini) Dynasty, under which a total of six Bini-speaking Atas ruled, had forced itself on the Igala Kingdom in 1507 AD, forcing Ata Ọgáláà Eri to proceed on a sudden self-exile. It should also be noted that the Bini Dynasty was itself preceded by an earlier dynasty, the Ata Eri (or Igala) Dynasty. The findings of a 21-year research undertaken by the Catherine Acholonu International Research Centre, Abuja revealed that “Ata Eri was the ancestor and father of the Igalas and the founder of the still-surviving, ancient lineage of Atta Kings of the Igala nation.” Ata Ọgáláà Eri had succeeded Àtá Àtá-Ógwū, after whom the Àtá-Ógwū Hill (Ójúwó Átōgwu) on the outskirts of Ida town was named.

(ii) THE AJI-ATTAH (ATA) (OR BINI) DYNASTY

In the year, 1507, Ọba Ọ̀kpámẹ̀ Ọ̀zọ́luà of Benin ordered his son, Aji-Attah (Ata), to lead a segment of the Bini army against Ata Ọgáláà Erí at Ida, which prompted a sudden journey of the incumbent into self-exile, first, to the southern part of the Benue Basin, then later, to Nri in the present-day Anambra State. The Aji-Attah (or Benin) Dynasty, after one hundred and eighty years at Ida, was finally brought to an end by the influence of the Kwararafa traders-cum-warriors who were pouring into what, today, is referred to as the Igala Kingdom, which, according to Sargent and Miles Clifford, had been occupied by the “Okpoto tribesmen.”

DISTORTION NO. 2.

That Àtá Ayẹ̀gbà Ọma Ìdoko sacrificed his beloved daughter, Princess Íníkpi, as demanded by the spirits of the land, in the wake of the Igala-Benin War; while her sister, Ọ́modòkó, was sacrificed in respect of the Igala – Jukun War.

Íníkpi was buried alive at Ọ́gbẹ́gà as the Igala-Jukun War was looming. The war was eventually fought about the year, 1690 AD, at the twilight of 17th Century. By this time, the Igala-Benin War had been fought and lost about 174 years earlier, when Idoko, Ayegba’s father had not even been born. After the Apa War ended in Ayegba’s favour, he celebrated his victory by sacrificing three more of his daughters, namely: Ọ́modòkó (who was buried on the western bank of River Ínáchaló) as well as Ónojò Alíkáà and Ónojò Alẹ́gbẹ̄ who were both buried at two separate spots in Ídá town.

Distortion No. 3

That a Muslim occultist from Bebeji on the outskirts of Kano was the Mallam hired by Ayegba to perform some rites on the western bank of River Inachalo at Ida while the Jukun (Apa) invaders were camping at the opposite bank of the river.

Miles Clifford, a colonial officer who had carried out a research into the Apa War, states that a Nupe Mallam called Edegi was employed to perform the rite mentioned above and was responsible for Ayegba’s victory in the war. Overjoyed by that historic victory, Ata Ayegba betrothed one of his daughters named Ódó, to Mallam Edegi in addition to the huge financial reward the king had gratefully given him earlier. Mallam Edegi had thanked the king most profoundly and, together with his own followers, he rowed upstream of the Niger towards Rabba (in Nupeland). He finally settled down at a place he named Àbó-Idá (Ídá people), which, over time, changed to ‘Bídā,’ as it is still called to date.

Distortion No. 4

That the Igala Kingdom has never been defeated in any war in all of its history.

This statement is not true, as there are three or so recorded wars in which the Igalaa army was roundly defeated and had to beat a hasty retreat in each case. These are as follows:

The Benin Empires conquest and occupation of Igalaland in 1507 AD when the Igala army was no match for the more numerous soldiers of the Benin army
The Igala-Benin War of 1515-1516 AD; and
The Bassa Komo Rebellion in 1856 AD.
The first was the war led by a Benin Prince, Aji Attah (Ata) against Ata Ọgálá Eri in 1507. Robert Arthur Sargent, in his 1984 PhD Thesis, titled, Politics and Economics in the Benue Basin, reports that the Benin army had attacked, conquered and occupied the Igalaland to establish a Bini (or Aji Ata) Dynasty.

The second war in which the Igala troops were defeated was the Aji-Attah-Oba Esigie face-off – a war of two brothers having the same father – which early historians erroneously referred to-as the “gala-Benin War” of 1515-1516. Eight years after Aji Ata had conquered and seized the Ata’s throne and land, he mobilized the Kingdom’s army to fight and remove his brother, Oba Esigie who was installed in 1509 and take over the throne; but the Igala army was roundly defeated. While some settled at the present-day Ebu, near Asaba, others settled at Ibaji and Ilushi (Òjìgónó) area of Edo State.

Prince Okoliko, who later became the Ata-Igalaa between 1870 and 1876, had teamed up with a man named Ódomà Abáláká of the Òhiémi Ọ̀bọgọ Lineage to rustle the Bassa Komo camp at the present-day Ògwùmà on the bank of the River Benue when they were pouring into Igalaland in large numbers, fleeing from slave raiders, and were given refuge by Ata Aame Ocheje (1835 – 1856). Okoliko and Odoma had formed the habit of sneaking into the Bassa camp, stealing them and selling them into slavery. The victims sent word across to their kith and kin who mobilized a formidable force against their transgressors. In the war that ensued, the Igala army was driven into a mire and were killed in large numbers. Odoma and Okoliko narrowly escaped death, as their troops were mowed down by the aggrieved Bassa warriors.

A comprehensive account of the the Bassa Komo Rebellion, see the Postscript section of my book, titled, An Igala-English Lexicon, under the heading Odoma Abalaka (p. 619-620).

Distortion No. 4

That Ákwùmábì was the first son of Àtá Ayẹ̀gbà Ọma Ìdoko; while Ákogwu was his second son.

According to the Igala native law of primogeniture, it is the first-born son that succeeds his father upon the latter’s demise. However, in the case of Ákwùmábì and his brother, Ákogwu, that law did not apply. In fact, Àtá Onákpa Akwùmábì was NOT the first son of Ayẹ̀gbà but the second; while Akogwu was his eldest son. When Ayegba passed on, Akogwu was preoccupied with their father’s burial arrangements; and his younger brother, Ákwùmábì (or ‘Akwu’ for short) … was busy lobbying the king-makers to install him as their father’s successor. He had killed the sentry at the rear gate of the palace to let himself into the palace, from where he sent for the king-makers to come and perform coronation rites on him. When all that was happening, Akogwu’s sympathisers had blocked the front gate to prevent Akwu from entering. The name, Akwumabi, is the short form of the name he took upon his investiture: “Ákpa adàkwù m’ákwù bì” (The killer of the sentry at the gate (ádàkwù) opened the gate) for himself. Details of the story of Akwu’s usurpation of the throne are contained in the Postscript section of An Igala-English Lexicon by John Idakwoji, p. 576-577.

Distortion No. 6

That Àtá Àámẹ́ẹ̀ Òchéje, following the assassination of his immediate predecessor, Àtá Ẹkẹ̀lẹ̀-Àgà in 1834, replaced all the Kingmakers with Royal Councillors.

When Àtá Ẹkẹ̀lẹ̀-Àgà was murdered in his sleep in 1834, Àtá Àámẹ́ẹ̀ Òchéje, his successor dissolved the entire membership of the Ígálámẹla Council of King-makers, which was later reconstituted to include two members from the Ata’s family, the Ánanyà-Àtá and the Áchanyà-Àtá to be the eyes and ears of the king on the Council. The Royal Councillors, as Officers of State, played advisory roles as the closest persons to the king. Originally, they were sons of Ayegba who first appointed them into office.

́

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Windstorm Kills 3 Villagers In Uhunowerre, Enugu; Community To Consult The Gods / Typical Nigerian Behavior / Igbos Of SS/SE Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.