Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,261 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

Best Place To Set Up A New Movie Theatre In Nigeria? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Best Place To Set Up A New Movie Theatre In Nigeria? (984 Views)

Tonto Dikeh Plays A Preacher In New Movie (Photos) / Photos From 'Jejere' Premiere Laide Bakare's New Movie / Omotola And Genny In New Movie: Sister Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Place To Set Up A New Movie Theatre In Nigeria? by bebure(m): 1:25pm On Dec 06, 2007
People, I have one more year of university in the UK and when I'm done I'd like to set up a movie theatre in Nigeria. I've not started thinking of how to fund it or anything I'm just learning about setting up and successfully running a movie theatre at a profit. I have no business experience and I am studying mechanical engineering but I still feel I can do this successfully. I just need to know where the best place to set one up in the country is. I would like to setup in Port Harcourt as that is where I am from but to be honest, the impression I get from PH peeps is that they dont like spending money in general, for instance Delight Zone, which is an arcade opened up in 2001 or so (and I thing it is a decent place), but the few times I was able to go there in 2001 it was rather empty. I dont want something like that to happen to my business and before I set up I'd like to know for sure that that there is demand.
Cheers.
Re: Best Place To Set Up A New Movie Theatre In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:37pm On Dec 06, 2007
Delight Zone, which is an arcade opened up in 2001 or so (and I thing it is a decent place), but the few times I was able to go there in 2001 it was rather empty.
Arcades are for children. Children don't have lots of money. Those that have lots of money (rich parents) also have game consoles at home, with games that are far better than arcade games. And the arcade is probably overpriced. When a business fails, don't blame the customers. Don't blame Port harcourt. Blame the entrepreneur who didn't do his homework well.

If you are able to get your hands on the latest Hollywood movies and screen them at affordable prices, you'll probably succeed. If you decide to show 1980 movies and charge 5000 naira per seat, it will fail regardless of where the theater is located. Personally, I think it's a risky venture because it can't be easy for a Nigerian company to get distribution rights to the latest Hollywood movies the way Silverbird Cinemas does.

Personally, I would rather run a movie theater screening quality Nigerian movies hand-picked by a good movie critic. I won't have to charge 1500 naira per seat to make back the cost of those movies, unlike Hollywood movies. I'd charge 500 naira per seat in any major city except Lagos.
Re: Best Place To Set Up A New Movie Theatre In Nigeria? by bebure(m): 2:02pm On Dec 06, 2007
That was very helpful Seun thank you and I see your point about Delight Zone.
Re: Best Place To Set Up A New Movie Theatre In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:28pm On Dec 10, 2007
Moved to new movie business section. wink

(1) (Reply)

Ibst Media Presents Copa Coke Fc Tv Show / How To Register For 2014 Gulder Ultimate Search (season 11) Audition / Can A Nigerian Comedy Scene Get Funnier Than This/

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.