Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History (6861 Views)

Microsoft Makes First Ever Loss!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by maclatunji: 11:29am On Jul 20, 2012
Microsoft in first loss to date

Computing giant Microsoft has made the first quarterly loss in its history after it wrote off some of the value of its online advertising business.

The loss came after it wrote down the value of Aquantive by $6.2bn (£3.94bn; 5bn euros), which failed to bring the profits expected by Microsoft.

That led to a $492m loss in the three months to the end of June, compared with a profit of $5.9bn a year ago.

The company has not made a loss since it joined the stock market in 1986

It took over Aquantive in 2007 but it struggled to compete with rival Google.

Microsoft paid $6.3bn for Aquantive.

Microsoft is doing well in other areas, despite the decline in popularity of its Windows operating system, which dominated the personal computer market for years.

Revenue for the three months to June rose by 4% to $18.06bn.

Mosaic

Excluding the adjustment for the asset write-down, and the holding back of some income related to the launch of its Windows 8 system, Microsoft profits beat those expected by investors.

Shares were up 1.6% after the results were announced.

Microsoft says the update of the Windows systems is the most important redesign in more than 10 years.

Windows 8, which will launch in October, will feature a new look that will present applications in a mosaic of tiles.

Importantly, it will also enable the operating system to work on tablet computers, which along with smartphones are the fastest-growing sector of the computing market.

Microsoft is also planning to release its own tablet, the Surface.

Earlier this week, Microsoft previewed its next version of the Office system, which is expected to be released next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18917906
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by yuzedo: 1:53pm On Jul 20, 2012
Steve Job's ghost is butt-fhocking Microsoft from the spirit realm! grin grin

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by miteolu(m): 1:55pm On Jul 20, 2012
HOW MANY % OF LOSS COME FROM NAIJA BOYZ?
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by haybeestinky: 1:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
na him sabi
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by tonyx4x44(m): 2:10pm On Jul 20, 2012
GOOGLE!!!!!!
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by ortopazz(m): 2:10pm On Jul 20, 2012
hmmmm........na dia own o! When naija go work their system, buh first time in their history now thats a record, well there is always a first time then.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by shadrach77: 2:10pm On Jul 20, 2012
the rise of apple is the death of microsoft grin grin
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by tonyx4x44(m): 2:11pm On Jul 20, 2012
APPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by kaiter: 2:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
Nice post thanks for sharing.[img]http://www.lzxin.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Pastorniga: 2:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
Microsoft still get enough money. Today in the stock exchange de still dey profit margin. Make dem come naija come do one company. Na wetin we want.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Acidosis(m): 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2012
This is not a bad news, is it?
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Walecole74: 2:19pm On Jul 20, 2012
Imagine say na the first loss. How many guys don suffer here, hardlurck
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by miracle4(m): 2:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
Google +100
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by miteolu(m): 2:21pm On Jul 20, 2012
[size=15pt]NO ALARM DURING WIDE PROFIT MARGIN[/size] WHY BROADCASTING LOSS
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
To those of you shouting Apple, they didn't lose to Apple, in fact their OS has 92+% of the market. They lost to Google's Ad system. They made a bad investment in Aquantive.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Skywalker5(m): 2:25pm On Jul 20, 2012
Well with most companies still hanging on to Windows XP,it should not be a big shock to them.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by DExplorer1: 2:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
I think it's a tensed period at the moment even Yahoo is having it's own share. Google can't come with perfect figures also but i think Apple is doing well. Aquantive would have been a strong challenge to Google in regards to web ads but Microsoft they got it wrong because the concentration and presentation of aQuantive as a new product was minimal since other windows product were concomitantly in vogue. Anyways, it's a hard lesson to learn in such a competitive tech-market.

You Need To Read These! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

21 Reasons He Hasn't Proposed to You Yet

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

16 Raw but Bitter Truths Ladies Must Know
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Xionez(m): 2:39pm On Jul 20, 2012
More is to come if they dont correct this upcoming mistake called Windows 8.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by DExplorer1: 2:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
SimonAndal: To those of you shouting Apple, they didn't lose to Apple, in fact their OS has 92+% of the market. They lost to Google's Ad system. They made a bad investment in Aquantive.

Nah! aQuantive wasn't a bad investment, the timing was perfect to hit on Google but priorities was misplaced. Aquantive was the accurate response to Google Adword market dominance even though Microsoft PPC system was much of a clone to that of Yahoo and Yahoo was still struggling to meet up with Google's edge. aQuantive is very much a strong ads network talking about the competence of the digital companies it's made of, i see them doing really good.

You Need To Read These! After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Ajillo: 3:31pm On Jul 20, 2012
Microsoft did themselves in. Vista was a failure. Word 2007 is very unpopular and explorer is no no.Instead of building on available features, their new versions became very difficult to understand and operate. Many people today still use word 2003 instead of the new version 007. Explorer is very slow and you can easily lose your write in online fora like Nairaland. So we go to firefox.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Mystiqme: 3:37pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ajillo: Microsoft did themselves in. Vista was a failure. Word 2007 is very unpopular and explorer is no no.Instead of building on available features, their new versions became very difficult to understand and operate. Many people today still use word 2003 instead of the new version 007. Explorer is very slow and you can easily lose your write in online fora like Nairaland. So we go to firefox.
That Explorer is not fit to be called a browser.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ajillo: Microsoft did themselves in. Vista was a failure. Word 2007 is very unpopular and explorer is no no.Instead of building on available features, their new versions became very difficult to understand and operate. Many people today still use word 2003 instead of the new version 007. Explorer is very slow and you can easily lose your write in online fora like Nairaland. So we go to firefox.
_
1. Have you been living under a rock? Or maybe you're still on Windows 98, but the latest version of Office is Office 2010.
2. And I don't know who taught you English, or your SSCE score, but I'm pretty sure use plural of forum is forums. We are not in a Latin class here, sorry.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by 10over101: 3:45pm On Jul 20, 2012
Everyday is not xmas
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Mystiqme: 3:49pm On Jul 20, 2012
SimonAndal:
_
1. Have you been living under a rock? Or maybe you're still on Windows 98, but the latest version of Office is Office 2010.
2. And I don't know who taught you English, or your SSCE score, but I'm pretty sure use plural of forum is forums. We are not in a Latin class here, sorry.
Look at this one, both are correct...
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fora
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fora?s=t
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/fora
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/fora?q=fora
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by konari(m): 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2012
Fora is correct.
SimonAndal:
_

Fora is correct.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2012
I never said it's not. It's correct if we're speaking latin.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Skywalker5(m): 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
I now understand why Microsoft is getting angry with companies that fall short of their license. Microsoft is now getting tough on licensing issues now.They have started from server 2008 with different types of license that you will have no choice that to cough lots of money. licensing like CALS, per processor, per device. The money companies use to migrate from server 2003 to server 2008 is ridiculous. Most companies still use server 2003 apart from multinational OR companies that have big budget for IT.

Seriously, if i had my way,it would be strictly linux and i wont even have to worry a lot about being attacked with Viruses but a lot of people dont know how to use linux and the training for that again is another problem, especially if some staff don't get it.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Mystiqme: 4:57pm On Jul 20, 2012
SimonAndal: I never said it's not. It's correct if we're speaking latin.
Fora is a correct English word included in many English dictionaries.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by jedisco(m): 4:59pm On Jul 20, 2012
SimonAndal: I never said it's not. It's correct if we're speaking latin.

You should be man enough to accept you were wrong. Both forums and fora are recognised in English language as plural forms of forum.

And please, don't come up with the Latin stuff. The word forum was taken directly from Latin as are many other English words. So if you say fora is Latin, then forum is also Latin.
Or would you say its wrong to use the word 'ab initio' when speaking English?

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 20, 2012
I see microsoft taking on and maybe even taking out the current IOS and Android kings in the mobile space. Can't wait for the Surface to launch.
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by maclatunji: 5:00pm On Jul 20, 2012
Mystiqme:
Fora is a correct English word included in many English dictionaries.

1. Stadi[b]um[/b]- Stadi[b]a[/b]

2. For[b]um[/b]- For[b]a[/b]

undecided undecided undecided
Re: Microsoft Declares First Ever Loss In Its History by DExplorer1: 5:47pm On Jul 20, 2012
TroGunn: I see microsoft taking on and maybe even taking out the current IOS and Android kings in the mobile space. Can't wait for the Surface to launch.

I've my reservations at that point.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Surface Pro 3 In Pictures (www.yitre.com) / HP Elitebook 2170p (500gb/4gb, Corei5, Backlit Keyboard) UPDATED / Sold Acer Aspire(minor Scratches) Core I5, 6th Gen, 8gb, 256gb SSD, 2gb Nvidi so

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.