Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,409 members, 7,864,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 07:04 AM

Obj's Name Missing In Voters' Register - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj's Name Missing In Voters' Register (547 Views)

Kogi Polls: Ajetachi Community Under Fire,wada Blurted Out, Wife's Name Missing / Guber Poll: Voters’ Register Fraud Rocks Bayelsa / PVC: Fashola, Wife’s Name Missing At Polling Unit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obj's Name Missing In Voters' Register by mtim14(m): 8:50am On Jul 22, 2012
The election into all the 20 local government councils and 236 wards in Ogun State, that held yesterday, was marred by low turnout of voters and other forms of irregularities. Sunday Tribune, which monitored the election, observed that there were reports of missing names of voters on the voters’ registers, while electoral officers were no where to be found in some polling booths. There were reports of pockets of violence in Sagamu, Remo North and Ogun Waterside local government areas of the state, while cases of ballot stuffing and harrasment of people by security agents in some council areas were similarly recorded. When Sunday Tribune visited Ward 11, Unit 15, within the African Church Grammar School, Ita- Iyalode, Abeokuta, the name of former President Olusegun Obasanjo was observed to be missing on the voters’ register. One of the electoral officers, who pleaded anonymity, could not trace the name of the former Nigeria’s president. The electoral officer directed Sunday Tribune to Unit 16, which is also within the premises, to confirm whether his name (Obasanjo’s) was on the list. The unit’s Presiding Officer, Mr. Kolawole Oyetola, confirmed that Obasanjo’s name was conspicuously
missing on the register. Some voters, whose names were missing on the register, expressed displeasure over the conduct of the election. They described the development as a calculated attempt to disenfranchise eligible voters and to rig the election.
In some local government areas, there were complaints of inadequate electoral materials as well as late arrival of the materials to polling centres. Sunday Tribune learnt that there were low turnout in virtually all the local government areas while residents in some parts of the state failed to comply with the movement restriction order by the state government. The Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, who cast his vote at the African Church Central Primary School, Ita-Iyalode, Abeokuta, at about 1.20pm, expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the election. The governor, accompanied by his wife, Olufunso, and some of his aides, when asked to comment on the low turnout of eligible voters in his ward, said the turnout was not extremely bad. “I will not totally agree with you, yet it was not as what happened during the general election in 2011. Any election that you are having 25 per cent, I think it is not too bad. If you look at our registration in this polling unit, we have about 25 per cent of those that registered. “You will discover that even the one they had last week in Edo State, if you look at the turn- out really, when you have 30, 40 per cent it is really massive. That is the way we are, yet I am happy that at least we have about 25 per cent turnout, which I think is okay. It could be improved upon. I phoned round and discovered that in almost everywhere, that is the turnout, especially in Ogun Central Senatorial district. “So, when we heard about the turnout in other Senatorial District, we did not expect anything less,” the governor said. On missing names on voters’ register, Senator Amosun said that there was nothing that could be done on the development, adding that the voters’ register was given to the Ogun State Independent Electoral Commission (OGSIEC) by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). He said, “Well, it is a learning process, because they phoned to say one or two things like that even during the general election, we had cases like that where people would come and would not find their
names on the list. “Today, we realised that people have come to say that they could not find their names on the list and OGSIEC told us that it was the list given to them by the INEC, so, I think there is much we can do about it. “It is a learning process, and I am sure we are going to perfect it in the subsequent elections.” A reliable source in the INEC office, who does not want his name in print, identified lateness in the collection of the voters’ register from the INEC by the state electoral body as a major factor responsible for the missing of names. The source said the voters’ register was collected by OGSIEC less than 12 hours to the election while election materials were being distributed out on Friday afternoon. “We have to blame the OGSIEC for the irregularities. They collected the voters’ register used in the last general election late from the INEC. If the body had come for the collection of the voters’ register early as advised, this development would not have occurred. They were told to come and collect the register early enough. The blame should be put at their dooorstep,” the source added. Reports across the state showed that the polls were generally peaceful and devoid of violence that characterised such exercise in the past.[color=]The election into all the 20 local government councils and 236 wards in Ogun State, that held yesterday, was marred by low turnout of voters and other forms of irregularities. Sunday Tribune, which monitored the election, observed that there were reports of missing names of voters on the voters’ registers, while electoral officers were no where to be found in some polling booths. There were reports of pockets of violence in Sagamu, Remo North and Ogun Waterside local government areas of the state, while cases of ballot stuffing and harrasment of people by security agents in some council areas were similarly recorded. When Sunday Tribune visited Ward 11, Unit 15, within the African Church Grammar School, Ita- Iyalode, Abeokuta, the name of former President Olusegun Obasanjo was observed to be missing on the voters’ register. One of the electoral officers, who pleaded anonymity, could not trace the name of the former Nigeria’s president. The electoral officer directed Sunday Tribune to Unit 16, which is also within the premises, to confirm whether his name (Obasanjo’s) was on the list. The unit’s Presiding Officer, Mr. Kolawole Oyetola, confirmed that Obasanjo’s name was conspicuously
missing on the register. Some voters, whose names were missing on the register, expressed displeasure over the conduct of the election. They described the development as a calculated attempt to disenfranchise eligible voters and to rig the election.
In some local government areas, there were complaints of inadequate electoral materials as well as late arrival of the materials to polling centres. Sunday Tribune learnt that there were low turnout in virtually all the local government areas while residents in some parts of the state failed to comply with the movement restriction order by the state government. The Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, who cast his vote at the African Church Central Primary School, Ita-Iyalode, Abeokuta, at about 1.20pm, expressed satisfaction with the conduct of the election. The governor, accompanied by his wife, Olufunso, and some of his aides, when asked to comment on the low turnout of eligible voters in his ward, said the turnout was not extremely bad. “I will not totally agree with you, yet it was not as what happened during the general election in 2011. Any election that you are having 25 per cent, I think it is not too bad. If you look at our registration in this polling unit, we have about 25 per cent of those that registered. “You will discover that even the one they had last week in Edo State, if you look at the turn- out really, when you have 30, 40 per cent it is really massive. That is the way we are, yet I am happy that at least we have about 25 per cent turnout, which I think is okay. It could be improved upon. I phoned round and discovered that in almost everywhere, that is the turnout, especially in Ogun Central Senatorial district. “So, when we heard about the turnout in other Senatorial District, we did not expect anything less,” the governor said. On missing names on voters’ register, Senator Amosun said that there was nothing that could be done on the development, adding that the voters’ register was given to the Ogun State Independent Electoral Commission (OGSIEC) by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). He said, “Well, it is a learning process, because they phoned to say one or two things like that even during the general election, we had cases like that where people would come and would not find their
names on the list. “Today, we realised that people have come to say that they could not find their names on the list and OGSIEC told us that it was the list given to them by the INEC, so, I think there is much we can do about it. “It is a learning process, and I am sure we are going to perfect it in the subsequent elections.” A reliable source in the INEC office, who does not want his name in print, identified lateness in the collection of the voters’ register from the INEC by the state electoral body as a major factor responsible for the missing of names. The source said the voters’ register was collected by OGSIEC less than 12 hours to the election while election materials were being distributed out on Friday afternoon. “We have to blame the OGSIEC for the irregularities. They collected the voters’ register used in the last general election late from the INEC. If the body had come for the collection of the voters’ register early as advised, this development would not have occurred. They were told to come and collect the register early enough. The blame should be put at their dooorstep,” the source added. Reports across the state showed that the polls were generally peaceful and devoid of violence that characterised such exercise in the past.[/color]The election into all the 20 local government councils and 236 wards in Ogun State, that held yesterday, was marred by low turnout of voters and other forms of irregularities. Sunday Tribune, which monitored the election, observed that there were reports of missing names of voters on the voters’ registers, while electoral officers were no where to be found in some polling booths. There were reports of pockets of violence in Sagamu, Remo North and Ogun Waterside local government areas of the state, while cases of ballot stuffing and harrasment of people by security agents in some council areas were similarly recorded. When Sunday Tribune visited Ward 11, Unit 15, within the African Church Grammar School, Ita- Iyalode, Abeokuta, the name of former President Olusegun Obasanjo was observed to be missing on the voters’ register. One of the electoral officers, who pleaded anonymity, could not trace the name of the former Nigeria’s president. The electoral officer directed Sunday Tribune to Unit 16, which is also within the premises, to confirm whether his name (Obasanjo’s) was on the list. The unit’s Presiding Officer, Mr. Kolawole Oyetola, confirmed that Obasanjo’s name was conspicuously
names on the list. “Today, we realised that people have come to say that they could not find their names on the list and OGSIEC told us that it was the list given to them by the INEC, so, I think there is much we can do about it. “It is a learning process, and I am sure we are going to perfect it in the subsequent elections.” A reliable source in the INEC office, who does not want his name in print, identified lateness in the collection of the voters’ register from the INEC by the state electoral body as a major factor responsible for the missing of names. The source said the voters’ register was collected by OGSIEC less than 12 hours to the election while election materials were being distributed out on Friday afternoon. “We have to blame the OGSIEC for the irregularities. They collected the voters’ register used in the last general election late from the INEC. If the body had come for the collection of the voters’ register early as advised, this development would not have occurred. They were told to come and collect the register early enough. The blame should be put at their dooorstep,” the source added. Reports across the state showed that the polls were generally peaceful and devoid of violence that characterised such exercise in the past.
Re: Obj's Name Missing In Voters' Register by mtim14(m): 8:51am On Jul 22, 2012
Re: Obj's Name Missing In Voters' Register by ikee(m): 11:47am On Jul 22, 2012
First Time To Post? Your Story Is Too long And Boring to Read. Take note

(1) (Reply)

He Was Concealing Drugs Internally(the Nigerian Guy) WHY? / Shocking:man Raped In Zamfara By Three Ladies. / 2015- MASSOB Not Campaigning For Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.