Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,117 members, 7,811,137 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? (2375 Views)

I Got This For Asking My Boss My February Salary / How Can I Tell My Boss To Stop Spamming My Phone? / A Boss I Dont Agree With! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by holabeez(f): 8:53am On Dec 11, 2007
I have a friendly boss that we have ad years of together. I work with her closely and we also deal on personal level she talks about family and other friendly issues, buy me stuuf like clothes , lunch, listen to my opinion even if she would not act on them .

It is not that i have not mentioned problems with my work terms. But she keeps promising and breaking it.

Problems such as include low pay, informal arrangement and distracting tasks( like we going out together to shop for a client or attend to her family issues,when i have projects with deadline to meet in the office).

I tried my best to understand her but it seem that it is the same issues with small biz owners. ( lack of focus, u suffer together but when your reward time comes and it looks large they get reluctant to give it to you)

I love the job and i like her as a friends but i hate the whole game, which is why i think i should jump off board!

This is why i need ideas to do it in a subtle manner, so that i wont kill the relationship( afterall i would be needing her reference and may b contacts.)

Knowing she is someone that takes thinks very personally, and can do thinks should would regret without of thinikng undecidedAny advice pls!
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by lami4life(f): 12:24pm On Dec 11, 2007
Go to her house on a weekend. Tell her how much u'v enjoyed working 4 her but how the necessities of life wld warrant ur now leaving the coy. cry cry if u av to and tell her she would always be ur 'oga' & sister/mother figure. Follow up the visit with svrl text messages letting her know dat u wld volunteer ur assistance as reasonably permisibly. I appreciate ur position because i treasure relationships a lot and would not jeopardise a gud relationship 4 anything in the world.

if u think dat won't do, let me know so we'l move to the next level.
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by yimiton(f): 1:10pm On Dec 11, 2007
You have to do what needs to be done.
This is your life and you need to build a career.
Trust me, if you do something not so right or she sees someone who'll be more valuable to her and cheaper to keep, she wouldn't ask your advice before she lays you off.

Go to her, explain to her that you have another offer (make sure you do before taking any steps), let her know how much you appreciate her and how much you've enjoyed working with her and tell her that you'll love to keep her friendship.
Give her about 3-4 weeks notice, and pack your bag!
If she cares about you, she'll be happy you're building a career.
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by holabeez(f): 5:25pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ lami4life &yimiton
hm,
i have giving myself a whole year to be sure this is the right thing to do now that am sure am stilll not comfortable to break it.
stil abit worried 'cos am not good at telling people how important they are.I show i care but i rarely use words. I would rather write a lovely letter slip it into her bags and run like a chicken (but i know i shouldnt). guess this is a weakness of mine .
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by holabeez(f): 5:26pm On Dec 11, 2007
Just reading my mail now shocked and it seem that some offer might be in for january which means i dont have 2 or 3-week( cos' of the holidays) if it comes thru. undecided

i fear that she would understand but her emotions might just overwrite are rational side!
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by Eclairs: 5:36pm On Dec 11, 2007
@ poster.

Ensure there's a bta offer before u quit. Slippin a leta into her bag is not ideal. You lose your self respect. When the offer does come, tell her simply tht you are off. She either gvs u a bta offer to tempt you to stay or accept tht indeed she's lost a jewel. At the end of the day, there's no hint of any emotional bond. Stayin friends will be entirely up to her cz u wldnt mind.
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by diyobdw(f): 5:37pm On Dec 11, 2007
try to start rounding up your task, save away any personal belonging (hard or softcopy), dont tell anyone before her( people talk alot), write her a comprehensive "thank you but bye" note( since u like to write- nothing formal pls)look for a sub that will take your place and tell her as soon as possible.

May be u cant wait till weekend visit her home now or better still at close of work if she is in a cool mood!
Good luck & remember it your life don't regret the move!
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by lami4life(f): 10:15am On Dec 12, 2007
holabeez:

Just reading my mail now shocked and it seem that some offer might be in for january which means i don't have 2 or 3-week( because' of the holidays) if it comes through. undecided

i fear that she would understand but her emotions might just overwrite are rational side!

I honestly feel you should give a month notice. Explore the possibility of negotiating the equivalent of a month from the day u'll drop your letter with your to-be employers, explaining dat u need 2 give the expected one month notice. If anything, they should appreciate your respect for structure. Also, in view of your rapport with your current boss, make sure the letter does not preceed the discussion. Take d bull by the horn, dearie. SHE WON'T KILL U. wink
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by ndubest(m): 9:50am On Dec 13, 2007
, For the sake of the relationship and future goodwill GIVE A MONTH NOTICE, that is standard these days

, u can explain to your new employer and if they are reasonable, surely they will understand beccause will want you to do the same if you are to leave them tommorrow

Good luck in your future endavors
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by diyobdw(f): 3:17pm On Dec 16, 2007
@poster
How far
?

i suggest u consider as much time you can give but mayb alone you can tell because if you give one year trust me that is not assurance that she will no go gaga!
for formality sake follow your employment terms - You might try to talk to the new employer about the time but also remebr alot of job seeker, job hopper and career changers are inline seeking for such jobs- think about yourself [b]first [/b]if u lose a golden egg because of a scant hay u might have you self to blame.

-am sure your employer once quit her job for her on good too
all the same pray and be rational

good luck
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by domwas2(m): 3:31pm On Dec 17, 2007
i think its better to discuss resignation in person especially when you like your boss, it has always seemed to work better for me that way, if it doesnt fit you a letter works well, but if you like your boss a face to face discussion of you leaving will be more warming, that way you can shake and part and still be liked upon one another.

Its smart that your choosing to leave dispite what the others are saying. If you dont love your job dont stay you will only progress to hate it.

I know i didnt give much advice but i hope i gave another open door on how you can approach. Just be you, tell your boss hello and can we talk in private, dicuss how you feel and if you feel sorry about leaving just let him know, he wont be upset that your choosing to leave because he will be more then happy to know that your finding something better for yourself.
Re: How Do I Tell My Boss I Want To Quit? by holabeez(f): 4:24pm On Jan 13, 2008
Sometimes, we do weird things to get what we want. It doesnt change what inside so far the end justifies the means.

Did what i had to do no regrets, (playing along is a skills not a weakness)

It worked for me thank you all.

I have Move on,

(1) (Reply)

Score Cards For Banks In Nigeria / Career In Information Technology Or ACCA Certification? / House Help Needed In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.