Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,650 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight (824 Views)

Why Is He Called "Jesus Of Nazareth" If He Was Born In Bethlehem? / Mazaje: Let's Discuss Atheism: An Insight / How Do We Know That Jesus Is The Son Of God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by mkmyers45(m): 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2012
Why did Jesus refer to himself as 'The Son of Man' 85 times in the gospel? We can draw several analogies from this and we will try to look at them critically...

SCENARIO 1:

He could not go around calling himself the Son of God because the Jewish leaders would have been all over him in from the beginning. That was blasphemy in their way of thinking. At the end he called himself I Am which was one of the names for God in Jewish culture. That was all the Pharisees needed to condemn him to the cross. Therefore, he was able to use Son of Man because Man of Holiness was another name for God but at the same time, without adding the Holiness part, he used a play on words to keep the Jewish leaders guessing. Thus, Son of Man euphemistically is the same as Son of God because Man of Holiness is another name for God.
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by mkmyers45(m): 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2012
SCENARIO 2:

Jesus Christ's Son of Man: Reference to his Astrological Importance

The Son of Man in the Gospels can be linked to the constellation Orion. Revelation’s description of the Son of man fits the pattern of stars in the constellation Orion. The star on his right shoulder is bright red (upper left star). The three stars at his waist were later seen as the three wise men who announced the birth of Jesus.[13]
The Son of man has a cluster of stars in the background that look like the clouds upon which the Son of man rides. Astronomical maps show the Milky Way behind the constellation Orion. From earth, they look like clouds.
"Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden girdle round his breast; his head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters; in his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth issued a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength." - Rev. 1:12-20
"And I looked, and behold a white cloud, and upon the cloud one sat like unto the Son of man, having on his head a golden crown, and in his hand a sharp sickle." - Rev. 14:14-20
Orion, as seen in human form, has his right hand holding a sickle or a club. His left hand could be holding an animal skin, a shield or a bow. The Milky Way is behind him. The arc above him represents the Sun’s path. The line going through his waist is the celestial equator which runs parallel to earth’s equator.
"As they were gathering in Galilee, Jesus said to them, 'The Son of man is to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day.' And they were greatly distressed." - Matt. 17:22-23
When the sun goes below the equator into the dark days, it is said to be delivered to the enemy. While the earth rotates, the stars appear to be moving westerly until they dip below the horizon. Three days later they reappear in the eastern horizon.
..."'tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.' Jesus said to him, 'You have said so. But I tell you, hereafter you will see the Son of man seated at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven.'" - Matt. 26:63-64
When facing North, Orion’s rising in the East can be seen as rising from the right. Orion appears at the right hand of the Sun.
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by Enigma(m): 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2012
From here https://www.nairaland.com/813596/how-know-jesus-son-god/5#9684139

Matthew 16:13-17

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, 'Who do people say the Son of Man is?' They replied, 'Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.'

'But what about you?' he asked. 'Who do you say I am?' Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Christ [Messiah], the Son of the living God.'

Jesus replied, 'Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.'

In summary this is what the blue words reveal Jesus as saying: . . . the Son of Man is . . . the Son of the Living God . . . revealed . . . by my Father in heaven.

cool
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by mkmyers45(m): 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2012
[b]SCENARIO 3:[/b]Reference to his Current State

Another possible scenario could have been the fact that he was referring to his current form of flesh and blood or the fact that he was just human. It could also bear testament to: he is both divine and he is human—two natures, one person.
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by mkmyers45(m): 12:39pm On Jul 25, 2012
Enigma: From here https://www.nairaland.com/813596/how-know-jesus-son-god/5#9684139

Matthew 16:13-17

In summary this is what the blue words reveal Jesus as saying: . . . the Son of Man is . . . the Son of the Living God . . . revealed . . . by my Father in heaven.

cool

Revelation of which? In relevance to the first scenario?
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by mkmyers45(m): 12:28pm On Jul 26, 2012
mkmyers45: [b]SCENARIO 3:[/b]Reference to his Current State

Another possible scenario could have been the fact that he was referring to his current form of flesh and blood or the fact that he was just human. It could also bear testament to: he is both divine and he is human—two natures, one person.

Could have also been reference to him keeping his state in the clear so as to properly achieve that which he aimed to achieve
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by DevotedOne(m): 4:11pm On Jul 26, 2012
In The Name of Allah, The Eternal, The Almighty; Blessed Be HE Forevermore. HIS Peace Be Upon You, Everyone.

The "Man," is the Higher Soul/Self, of the Son [lower soul/self], whom is on earth preparing for his [Spiritual] regeneration. This Higher Soul/Self, presently resides in the heavens, with the Eternal God [Allaah], awaiting the return of the Son.

Salaam/Peace. DevotedOne
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by DevotedOne(m): 12:52am On Jul 30, 2012
In The Name of Allah, The Eternal, The Almighty; Blessed Be HE Forevermore. HIS Peace Be Upon You, Everyone.

I suspect that Christians are missing the gist of the story in the parable in Luke 15:11-32; which is in fact the story of the Son of Man. You should see yourselves as that prodigal son.

Luk 15:10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

Peace. DevotedOne
Re: And He Called Himself 'the Son Of Man': An Insight by Okijajuju1(m): 8:43am On Jul 30, 2012
Jesus never once even refered to himself as 'The Son Of God'..

(1) (Reply)

TB Joshua Exposes The Reason For #boko Haram Killings / Holy Ghost Congress 2012 / Would You Change Your Life If You Know This To Be A Fact?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.