Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,674 members, 7,820,370 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media (13098 Views)

David Mark Visits Agatu Community (Graphic Photos Inside) / Aisha Buhari Hosts End Of The Year Gathering Of Social Media Change Agents -Pics / David Mark Visits The Palace Of The Och'idoma - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by LocalChamp: 11:38pm On Jul 26, 2012
Mark calls for check on menace of social media
On July 26, 2012 · In News
9:36 pm

By ANAYO OKOLI

UMUAHIA—SENATE President, Senator David Mark, Thursday, called for a check on the menace of the social media on the Nigerian society, saying that people now use them to demean their leaders.

Mark said the need to check the social media became necessary, as they do not have the avenue for retraction of whatever they had done.

Senator Mark, who spoke in Umuahia, Abia State, while declaring open a two-day retreat for Senate Press corps, explained that the media has come to stay, as part of the process of governance in the country, since the return of democratic government in 1999 and performing its social responsibility of checking the excesses of the leaders.

Senator Mark, however, urged reporters to always cross check their facts before writing so as not to mislead the people, who depend on them to know what goes on around them.

The Senate President cited as examples varied figures usually quoted by various media in times of tragedies, saying that the figures were always inconsistent.

Describing the media as one of the stabilizing factors in the scheme of things, Mark cautioned that “we need to change our attitude on how we report things about our country, and we should emulate the foreign reporters, who never report negative things about their countries.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/mark-calls-for-check-on-menace-of-social-media/

2 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by vanbonattel: 11:50pm On Jul 26, 2012
The senate chief must be reading nairaland sometimes, and they are getting worried, seun, they are coming for you next.

These guys control our economy and scatter it, control our resources and embezzle it and now want to control our voices so then can silence it.

23 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Yeske2(m): 11:57pm On Jul 26, 2012
Nairaland is in trouble but dem chop winch?
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by edogram1(m): 12:04am On Jul 27, 2012
Its a pity that all the cabinet are watching NL. I think i said this before. NL is the busiest and biggiest e-politics debate and enlightment. So with no doubt most nigerian politicians are watching this forum, I think am right. But I would like to work with them, let them contact me.

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by hardywaltz(m): 12:14am On Jul 27, 2012
Let's keep up the pressure boyz, from GEJ's media chat it is obvious our voices are been heard even in Aso Rock. I'm sure its the story about Patience been pregnant "from cassava bread" that is causing all these grin

8 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by edogram1(m): 12:23am On Jul 27, 2012
Hahaha, hardywalt can u help with a link? Would love to see the pregnant cassava bread thing
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by hardywaltz(m): 12:30am On Jul 27, 2012
edogram.:
Hahaha, hardywalt can u help with a link? Would love to see the pregnant cassava bread thing
it was in a front page thread 2days ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/999987/patience-jonathan-pregnant
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Oluwadare: 12:58am On Jul 27, 2012
"Eni sehun ikoko loman'kie sekunle"<> You don't afraid of light if you have no skeleton in your cupboard.

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by PaulJohn1: 1:06am On Jul 27, 2012
Why won't he make such a statement? oh, I guess because of reasons like this: https://www.nairaland.com/1001488/nigerian-senators-earn-more-than

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by edogram1(m): 1:45am On Jul 27, 2012
That thread was really a funny one. I laught real hard. But God forgive me.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by PaulJohn1: 2:03am On Jul 27, 2012
edogram.:
That thread was really a funny one. I laught real hard. But God forgive me.

My guy, I was sober seeing the post. It's not funny at all. cry
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by edogram1(m): 2:29am On Jul 27, 2012
Wait a minute, When we export crude for sales (one product) and then import everything into this country (countless of products) eg. Phone, food, laptops, car, fuel, gas, keroson, wevon, cream, tooth pick, matches, infact every thing that we consume in this country are been imported. Then Who is at lost? We should be ashame of ourself and forget the crude and gaint of africa thing and start to think.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Beaf: 2:39am On Jul 27, 2012
Sadly, there is a lot of truth in what David Mark is saying.
Presenting robust opposition is a completely different thing from sedition, lies, false rumours, slander and other forms of lawlessness.

Right here on NL, we even have mods like OAM4J who take their unethical and irresponsible behaviour to common sense defying levels that can only be described as stup!d. In my opinion, a couple of people need to learn a legal lesson or two.

Ask the foolish London teenager (Luke Angel) that called Obama a pr*ck in an email after one too many beers. All the way in the UK, the police popped round, took his picture and explained to him that he was banned from the US for LIFE. At 17!
You can imagine that secret services will be on his tail for life and he now has no future.

US security services regularly haul in people who make demeaning or threatening statements on the web for questioning (or more). The Nigerian constitution is tailored after the US one, so why not do the same thing?

Lets just be civil and truthful.

2 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by dedeike: 3:17am On Jul 27, 2012
People now abuse social media as an avenue for the spread of falsehood. If you take a closer look at all the threads here, it will shock you that 80 % are pure lies.
Yesterday, the biggest lie was that 200 cars were bought.
Today, they have started blackmailing in favour of their paymaster oil cabal who were charged to court.
Who knows the lie that they will bring out tomorrow?

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by PaulJohn1: 3:26am On Jul 27, 2012
Two of the 40 laptops holder are around grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Kobojunkie: 4:20am On Jul 27, 2012
LocalChamp: Mark calls for check on menace of social media

UMUAHIA—SENATE President, Senator David Mark, Thursday, called for a check on the menace of the social media on the Nigerian society, saying that people now use them to demean their leaders.

Mark said the need to check the social media became necessary, as they do not have the avenue for retraction of whatever they had done.
Demean their leaders? See insult. So, this monkey thinks he is above the Nigerian people who hired him to work for them or what? Imagine this kind insult? Who are their leaders? You? A leader? You who have, in more than 8 years done next to nothing for even your own village?? Kai!!! Seee insults oooo!!

8 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Beaf: 4:29am On Jul 27, 2012
kingoflag:

You bloody Imbe*cile, shut the Fu*ck up! What Secret Services will haunt him for life? You must think the United States Law Enforcement Agents are like your Undertrained, underfed illiterate bulldogs that haunt ppl for speaking their minds.

You always talk like a fool, because thats what you are (or maybe you simply lack upbringing or weren't loved as a kid).
Why not threaten Obama on the internet and see how far?

It is the policy of the US secret services to keep threat investigations secret. So you might simply disappear one quiet day.
http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/65mcrm.htm

Fool.

4 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Nobody: 5:26am On Jul 27, 2012
Paul John: Two of the 40 laptops holder are around grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Not really two but one .....the 1st is the most notorious Id user on Nairaland while the 2nd iduser is just a decoy..still belong to the same person. grin

His frustration is really telling these days...things are just not working for him as planned..his paymasters actions and utterances are making his job harder each passing day....thus his resort to aggressive tendencies on NL manifested in his use of foul and gutter language at the slightest excuse.

4 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Omexonomy: 5:33am On Jul 27, 2012
Paul John: Two of the 40 laptops holder are around grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
though i have never take side with the 40 laptops holder,
inasmuch as we want our voice to be heard me think lies and falshood should not be the norms of the day but we can throw a light insult at them which is not bad.
That gej wife is the cause of DANA crash (false)
that she bought 200 expensive cars (false)
that she is pregnant with casava bread (false).
Most women & young ladies are a little obesse (true).

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by dasparrow: 6:02am On Jul 27, 2012
[quote author=Omexonomy]
though i have never take side with the 40 laptops holder,
inasmuch as we want our voice to be heard me think lies and falshood should not be the norms of the day but we can throw a light insult at them which is not bad.
That gej wife is the cause of DANA crash (false)
that she bought 200 expensive cars (false)
that she is pregnant with casava bread (false).
Most women & young ladies are a little obesse (true).[/[/b]quote]

[b]@Bolded

Both men and women begin to gain and retain weight once they get into their 30s because as human beings our metabolism begins to slow down making it quite easy to gain weight and harder to loose. You focus on women and their weight yet I see so many of our Nigerian men with their perpetual 9 months old 'pregnancies' that came about as a result of eating too much carbohydrates like pounded yam and eba and consuming too much red meat like cow meat/beaf or bush meat and then refusing to hit the gym. So don't make this a gender thing.

As for the cars, the company Patience Jonathan got them from said that the cars were not leased but purchased. You think Patience will come out and admit that she bought the cars? Even those who have been indicted over the subsidy scam, has anyone of them been arrested yet? You talk as if you are not aware of all the crap that goes on in our government and how much of it get's swept under the carpet.

As for Patience being blamed for the Dana air crash issue, can you blame the media? It is not a secret that often times, Nigerian politicians hinder planes from landing all because they are making use of our international and regional airports. Stories abound of planes having to circle around in the sky like an eagle looking for its prey all because Mr president or some governor is using the airport. So what are we saying here? No be Naija again where anything goes?

PS: I will be back on this thread to make sure my post did not grow wings and fly away into oblivion since lately a few of my posts have been mysteriously disappearing. Peace, out!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by maclatunji: 6:27am On Jul 27, 2012
Interesting topic. It is an on-going debate in Nigeria at the moment.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Murphy7h4: 6:46am On Jul 27, 2012
Good job!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ektbear: 6:57am On Jul 27, 2012
david mark is an idjit
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Acidosis(m): 7:29am On Jul 27, 2012
If you people (in the senate and house of reps) could insult one another at every sitting, then why shouldn't I be able to utter my thoughts and insults on the internet?

Point of correction sir, you are not my leader. . .neither am I your follower.

A few number of politicians has the qualities of a good leadership and we all know them. .

4 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Acidosis(m): 7:44am On Jul 27, 2012
Beaf: Sadly, there is a lot of truth in what David Mark is saying.
Presenting robust opposition is a completely different thing from sedition, lies, false rumours, slander and other forms of lawlessness.

Right here on NL, we even have mods like OAM4J who take their unethical and irresponsible behaviour to common sense defying levels that can only be described as stup!d. In my opinion, a couple of people need to learn a legal lesson or two.

Ask the foolish London teenager (Luke Angel) that called Obama a pr*ck in an email after one too many beers. All the way in the UK, the police popped round, took his picture and explained to him that he was banned from the US for LIFE. At 17!
You can imagine that secret services will be on his tail for life and he now has no future.

US security services regularly haul in people who make demeaning or threatening statements on the web for questioning (or more). The Nigerian constitution is tailored after the US one, so why not do the same thing?

Lets just be civil and truthful.

Oga, forget that thing. People insult politicians even in the u.s. . Not like they're gods or something.

If people could open their mouth and insult the almighty God, the creator of Heaven and earth, then any person or group of persons that thinks he/she is above insults are just being stu.pid.

Do you even know what an insult means?

Do you know it is an insult for a graduate to leave school without a job for years?

Do you know its an insult to get a low pay in your place of work?

Do you know its an insult for one to travel on the east-west road?

I'll declare my identity for any government agent here. . .and lets see who will cry at the end. .

Leaders my foot!

7 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Rhino5dm: 8:02am On Jul 27, 2012
Are you now trying to compare Obama to Jonathan Goatluck Retardeen? shocked

Abegi, leave matter jooor. . . .who da fucck are these muderfucking thieves to control my voice, when I provide my security, water, electricity, healthcare . . .and buy SUV to escape the potholes on our roads. Just look at East-West road leading to GEJ's house and tell me why should we respect him. people are dying on per second basis on that road, yet billion of naira is budgeted and approved for that project yearly. There is no day I'll drive through that road without pulling out fresh dead bodies, victims of bad governance and corruption.

My take is David Mark should relax and wait till ending next year, when the vortex of the peaceful revolution has gather enough momentum to bring down the senate building, only then we would know who is really incharge. . . He should get worry with the activities of Dino Melaye and Nasir El-rufai that are twittering 100 twitts per day.

Beaf:

You always talk like a fool, because thats what you are (or maybe you simply lack upbringing or weren't loved as a kid).

It is the policy of the US secret services to keep threat investigations secret. So you might simply disappear one quiet day.

Fool.

2 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by tunnytox(m): 8:04am On Jul 27, 2012
@beaf
Insult and threat are not the same, that boy threatened Obama and was banned in the US for life moreso he's not a US citizen so why was he threatning Obama if not out of hatred? Obama receives a lot of insults from several US citizens everyday and there's nothing he can do about it because it is not unlawful to speak your mind against the president. Even here in the UK Kenny Clackson once called Gordon Brown a one eye Scottish idiot and nothing happens apart from criticism from the blind association of Britain for what they termed as mocking of the blind.

So people like Mark should focus on doing there job and forget about the so called insults.

3 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 27, 2012
Which politician get tym 2 watch nairaland or uuu guys are dreamin? No b only watch dem b active members,lol
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Vigilante: 8:17am On Jul 27, 2012
Beaf:

Fool.

Sorry I don't get it. Is calling POTUS a Pr!ck threat to his person and office? Or the guy said something else?

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by henzly(m): 8:19am On Jul 27, 2012
It is not good to underestimate the power of any social media as it has in its capacity the ability to make or mar a constituted government...take a toll from what happened in the North Africa revolt...lets be careful

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Atiku Thanks Jigawa Residents For Attending PDP Presidential Rally (Pictures) / Two Guys Caught Wearing Pampers In Anambra State(graphic Photo) / DSS Detains Wale Adedayo, Ogun LG Chairman Who Accused Abiodun Of Fund Diversion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.