Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,774 members, 7,820,713 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON (4151 Views)

What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? / My Dashboard Displays "SERVICE ENGINE SOON" / Help! Service Engine Soon 4 Nissan Altima 2000 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by hymadon: 9:35pm On Jul 27, 2012
Am using a nissan altima 2000 model after, i sevice the engine just of recent but, the engine display keeps blinking "sevice your engine soon" and the engine goes off when am driving some times. please can any body tell me the axalt thing to do, please no try an error i need your help. thanks
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by nissparts(m): 10:31pm On Jul 27, 2012
Crankshaft speed sensor.
You probably have hard starting issues as well
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by sultaan(m): 10:41pm On Jul 27, 2012
You may have one problem, but 2 warning.

Service engine soon comes up when its time to change you oil and other things as scheduled in maintenance guide for your car.

Check engine light means you have a problem with your engine, get itscnned or try this

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.

2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)

3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.

4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.

5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)

The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.

You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.

Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by hymadon: 5:02pm On Jul 28, 2012
sultaan: You may have one problem, but 2 warning.

Service engine soon comes up when its time to change you oil and other things as scheduled in maintenance guide for your car.

Check engine light means you have a problem with your engine, get itscnned or try this

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.

2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)

3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.

4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the SES light flashes.

5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)

The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.

You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.

Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying SES light) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while the SES light is blinking. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).
thanks...
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by Austino2955: 5:05am On Jul 30, 2012
Your engin sound is too low, ask ur mechanic to tune it a little beat higher.This had happened to my car and i was adviced to increase the engine by tunning it a little beat higher, after my mechanic had done it the issue stoped.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by hymadon: 12:50am On Aug 01, 2012
Austino2955: Your engin sound is too low, ask ur mechanic to tune it a little beat higher.This had happened to my car and i was adviced to increase the engine by tunning it a little beat higher, after my mechanic had done it the issue stoped.
thanks
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by cretin: 9:09am On Aug 01, 2012
@sultan..the procedure above,,,,does it work for all cars obd II complisnt csrs?
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by yungboss(m): 11:40am On Aug 01, 2012
maybe crank speed sensor...
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by sultaan(m): 11:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
cretin: @sultan..the procedure above,,,,does it work for all cars obd II complisnt csrs?

Its for nissan only
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by bknight: 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2012
I'm having same prob wit jeep Liberty. The engine turns off while driving and as at dis morning, d ignition totally refused to turn at all angry pls help sad
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by teskyg: 8:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
Tell ur Mechanic to increase ur slow.my car did same last week and my Mechanic said it was the slow so he increased it and the Car is working well.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by bknight: 9:21am On Aug 09, 2012
^^tnx.itwas sorted out same day.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by elchux: 5:25pm On Aug 12, 2012
@teskyg pls what do u mean by to increase the slow. pls explain better for me to understand .
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by hymadon: 10:09pm On Aug 13, 2012
elchux: @teskyg pls what do u mean by to increase the slow. pls explain better for me to understand .
it is a mechanism situated on part of the engine, get your mechanic and explain, he will show you & do the adjustment for you.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by sultaan(m): 4:49am On Aug 14, 2012
hymadon: it is a mechanism situated on part of the engine, get your mechanic and explain, he will show you & do the adjustment for you.

Don't do it(adjust) clean the butterfly valve first it will do that when its dirty. the car computer make automatic adjustment based on readings.There is sensor iac, idle air control, which controls your 'slow'.

When your leg is not on the throttle, the throttle plate is closed, at high speed its WOT wide open throttle to let as much air into engine.
At idle when plate is closed, engine still needs air, so this sensor beside the valve will open just to let enough air in for idle, but when its dirty, it won't open enough, so your engine chokes(run out of air) when you add more load on engine(turn on ac) or when you take leg off the throttle(plate closed)

The bad idea being given here is to adjust the slow, basically tighten the screw on the throttle cable. This will open the throttle plate a little, let more air in as if you stepped on your throttle, burn more fuel.Imagine being in a traffic jam one leg on brake and the other is little on throttle. Not a good thing over time, fix the problem don't cover it up and cause another your next mechanic won't know what the first one changed.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by hymadon: 11:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
[quote author=sultaan]

Don't do it(adjust) clean the butterfly valve first it will do that when its dirty. the car computer make automatic adjustment based on readings.There is sensor iac, idle air control, which controls your 'slow'.

When your leg is not on the throttle, the throttle plate is closed, at high speed its WOT wide open throttle to let as much air into engine.
At idle when plate is closed, engine still needs air, so this sensor beside the valve will open just to let enough air in for idle, but when its dirty, it won't open enough, so your engine chokes(run out of air) when you add more load on engine(turn on ac) or when you take leg off the throttle(plate closed)

The bad idea being given here is to adjust the slow, basically tighten the screw on the throttle cable. This will open the throttle plate a little, let more air in as if you stepped on your throttle, burn more fuel.Imagine being in a traffic jam one leg on brake and the other is little on throttle. Not a good thing over time, fix the problem don't cover it up and cause another your next mechanic won't know what the first one changed.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by hymadon: 11:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
@sultaan:- i think u have a point which i seams to agree with that but, my idea worked on some vehicles and the problem ended... but still u are right. Thanks smiley
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by zoogy2007: 8:30pm On Aug 19, 2012
For the tripping of the engine while driving,check that your alternator is charging your battery properly. It happened to me and when I changed the battery, it stopped.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by autodoctor: 9:27pm On Aug 23, 2012
Ever wondered what all the warning lights displayed on your car dashboard means (I.e Check Engine, Service Engine Soon, Maintenance required etc). Have you been experiencing a high consumption of petrol by your car? Has your car's performance been on the decline? Have you had all sorts of trial and error technicians compounding your car problems rather that providing lasting solutions? Are you fed up?
DON'T BE.

Just click on the link below for free technical advice and free diagnosis and engine scan. This offer is free to all Nairalanders and only for cars in Abuja.

https://www.nairaland.com/1002588/free-powertrain-scan-cars-abuja#11596927
Re: What Is The Cause Of Engine Tripping Off Why Driving & Service Engine Display ON by mikkybrick: 6:27pm On Aug 24, 2012
@hymadon simply do a diagnostic scan on your car before you adjust this or that. do you also experience slow acceleration and hard/delayed cranking b4 the engine starts?

(1) (Reply)

Photo: 1957 Old School Vintage Mercedes Benz / Uses Tap Water VS Uses Coolant. / How Do I Use My Aux To Play Music Honda 2003

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.