Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,306 members, 7,819,037 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:23 AM

Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard (20147 Views)

Mikel Is Part Of Our Problem – Chelsea’s Club Legend Reveals / Why Keeping John Obi Mikel Is Chelsea’s Best Transfer Move So Far This Summer / Mikel Is 7th Best Paid African Player (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jul 30, 2012

Frank Lampard says fellow midfielder John Mikel Obi is underrated by outsiders, but valued by his Chelsea team-mates.

Critics of the Nigeria midfielder point to his uninspiring, simplistic style of football and question his contribution to the Chelsea team, but Lampard says the 25-year-old is given flak unfairly.

"He's a brilliant player. I think he's improved a lot over the last few years. He's at a level now where he's playing some great football," Lampard told KickOffNigeria.com exclusively.

"Maybe the reason people say that is because he's playing a position that is really underrated.

"He's not a player that's going to score you goals in a season but his value to the team is measured by how his team mates talk about him and we all have nothing but high praise for him."

Lampard goes on to explain why Mikel is such an asset for Chelsea.

"He does a lot of work for us in the holding role, keeps the ball moving for us. He's great at tackling, intercepting balls, winning balls, and has great feet."

Mikel arrived at Chelsea as an 18-year-old in 2005 burdened with a £16million price tag and Lampard suggests that this may have played a art in piling up the pressure.

"I think he had a lot of pressure on him as a young player. He came with a big responsibility because of the way we brought him into the club, but I think in the last two or three years he has improved greatly. He's a top top player now."

http://www.kickoff.com/news/29612/frank-lampard-says-fellow-chelsea-midfielder-john-mikel-obi-is-underrated-by-outsiders

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by semid4lyfe(m): 8:15pm On Jul 30, 2012

"He's a brilliant player. I think he's improved a lot over the last few years. He's at a level now where he's playing some great football," Lampard told KickOffNigeria.com exclusively.

YES. . .he played some great footie towards the latter stages of last season but I'll never use the word brilliant to qualify Mikel as a player. BRILLIANT was Makalele (at Chelsea)

"Maybe the reason people say that is because he's playing a position that is really underrated

Question is, is Mikel the only player playing this "underrated" position in football?

"He's not a player that's going to score you goals in a season but his value to the team is measured by how his team mates talk about him and we all have nothing but high praise for him."

If other players playing exactly his role score goals, why shouldn't he?

"He does a lot of work for us in the holding role, keeps the ball moving for us.

VERY TRUE. . .and I couldn't agree more. In fact, it's what he does best.

He's great at tackling, intercepting balls and winning balls."

FA FA FOUL. . .big lie shocked. Mikel no sabi tackle, intercept & win balls and break down opposing attacks. He's always running after opposing players when they've passed him. He's only good at collecting the ball from the back four, holding on to it & keeping possession and making short passes.

All in all, Lampard is just being a good team mate. grin

18 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jul 30, 2012
^^^^^I think he lacks initiatives.
He doesn't inspire any form of attack.
He's a bit too timid.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Ibyno(m): 8:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
[color=#990000][/color]We naija dont value what we have.[b]We naija dont value what we have.[/b]We naija dont value what we have.

4 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Jarus(m): 8:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
semid4lyfe:

YES. . .he played some great footie towards the latter stages of last season but I'll never use the word brilliant to qualify Mikel as a player. BRILLIANT was Makalele (at Chelsea)

Question is, is Mikel the only player playing this "underrated" position in football?

[i]FA FA FOUL. . .big lie shocked. Mikel no sabi tackle, intercept & win balls and break down opposing attacks. He's always running after opposing players when they've passed him. He's only good at collecting ball from the back four, holding on to it and throwing short passes.

Oshe omode yi

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by paveinc(m): 8:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
to me i know he is a good player but not a fantastic one and not consistent.he needs to build his confidence and composure,,
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by espn(m): 8:33pm On Jul 30, 2012
semid4lyfe:

[i]FA FA FOUL. . .big lie shocked. Mikel no sabi tackle, intercept & win balls and break down opposing attacks. He's always running after opposing players when they've passed him. He's only good at collecting the ball from the back four, holding on to it & keeping possession and making short passes.

wtf..d last line u highlihted..wats d diff btw wat u said nd wat lampard said..u sayn trash!
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by phreakabit(m): 8:36pm On Jul 30, 2012
Yorubas already derailing the thread. . . Stay in the mud filled puddle, I am cool being in the infinity pool, not going to join y'all this time. BTW nice one Frank Lampard. #Kudos!
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Emylexray(m): 8:41pm On Jul 30, 2012
mikel...improve! Enough of your shot fear-driven passes. Michael essien plays in thesame position and he does wonders for chelsea. Is it a crime if you score?..overall, i think mikel needs to step up his game .
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Ejine(m): 8:43pm On Jul 30, 2012
I think a committee should be set up to help look into why Mikel Obi is underrated by outsiders undecided

9 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by aribisala0(m): 8:44pm On Jul 30, 2012
Mikel is a good player in the wrong club Man U looks like it would have been a better option for his game.
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by phreakabit(m): 8:45pm On Jul 30, 2012
Emylexray: mikel...improve! Enough of your shot fear-driven passes. Michael essien plays in thesame position and he does wonders for chelsea. Is it a crime if you score?..overall, i think mikel needs to step up his game .

Read the emboldened and then go take a shower, turn of the lights, ponder about your life for a while and go to bed ashamed. You clearly know little or nothing about football.

5 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Shaw007(m): 8:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
OnCe up0n a time when oUr very own miKel was 2nd 0nly 2 messi grin

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jul 30, 2012
Lampard said, and I quote : "because of the way (we) brought him into the club". Who is we? Abeg Lamps go sit down, naso una wey d call una selves yeye big chelsea boy take drive AVB away.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Shaw007(m): 8:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: Mikel is a good player in the wrong club Man U looks like it would have been a better option for his game.
precisely. . .if i recall,mIkel was playiNg a fAr better rOle b4 his mOve 2 chelsea. . .right??

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Ryabcool(m): 8:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
phreakabit: Yorubas already derailing the thread. . . Stay in the mud filled puddle, I am cool being in the infinity pool, not going to join y'all this time. BTW nice one Frank Lampard. #Kudos!

shoot yourself! What has tribe got to do with this?
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by ogaemma: 8:51pm On Jul 30, 2012
The man who played that role b4 Mikel was inspiring, aggressive and a scorer. Then why is Mikel not scoring? Why is he holding unto the ball only? What his fans are saying is Mikel should start steping on the aggressive and scoring shoes of Makalele.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 30, 2012
Chelsea killed his game.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Mcleo007(m): 8:54pm On Jul 30, 2012
Ejiné: I think a committee should be set up to help look into why Mikel Obi is underrated by outsiders undecided

Killer punch lines. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by JideTheBlogger(m): 8:55pm On Jul 30, 2012
shymmex: Chelsea killed his game.

Na Muorinho joor
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Ejine(m): 8:58pm On Jul 30, 2012
phreakabit:

Read the emboldened and then go take a shower, turn of the lights, ponder about your life for a while and go to bed ashamed. You clearly know little or nothing about football.

LMFAO! grin grin grin
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Emylexray(m): 8:58pm On Jul 30, 2012
phreakabit:

so?...what's wrong with them?. What the hell do you know about football too? Sometimes mortals discredit other peoples post without any detailed reason. Or you are one of those that take utmost delight at throwing isults.Essien plays in that same position but he is more attacking minded that his counterpart mikel who is defensive conscious. Abeg..no time to argue with you.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by phreakabit(m): 8:59pm On Jul 30, 2012
JideTheBlogger:

Na Muorinho joor
shymmex: Chelsea killed his game.

Thank GOD say peeps wey get sense dey here too.

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by slex(m): 9:06pm On Jul 30, 2012
can we compare how mikel played at the 2005 YWC in Holland and how he plays in Chelsea,for those who remember, which of the 'mikels' do you prefer, the one @YWC or in chelsea?

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Chaydee(m): 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
For once i've to agree wit Chelsea player, Mikel is doing pretty well in that team.. He's more like Carrick at Manutd, i know some people will slate me for this but Mikel has really step-up his game... The Un-sung Hero

3 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by ebamma(m): 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
what lampard is trying to tell is that mikel is over- rated by insiders and to add to that i will say that mikel is the only player in premier league i can bet money on that he will not score a goal this season.

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by semid4lyfe(m): 9:12pm On Jul 30, 2012
God help all of una when 1025 sees this thread grin

1 Like

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Mrchippychappy(m): 9:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
slex: can we compare how mikel played at the 2005 YWC in Holland and how he plays in Chelsea,for those who remember, which of the 'mikels' do you prefer, the one @YWC or in chelsea?

God BLESS you for giving us those old memories of the GREAT mikel back in 2005 . That Mikel was light years ahead of this Mikel , He played elegantly back then and could shuttle between the center midfield and defensive midfield role until the defensive control freak called Mourinho brought him to Chelsea and destroyed his Career . Had Mikel signed for a team that encourages creative football like Bayern , Barcelona , AC Milan or even Arsenal he would have been THE BEST at the CMF / DMF role he plays . Take a look at how A.song has improved under Wenger .

2 Likes

Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Mrchippychappy(m): 9:18pm On Jul 30, 2012
Funny enough people seem to have forgotten that back then in the YWC even at the Nations cup , Mikel didn't play the role of DMF , he plays as a CMF and was supposed to be the successor to Okocha's spot in the national team . DMF isn't his natural position .
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by Parnassuss(m): 9:24pm On Jul 30, 2012
paveinc: to me i know he is a good player but not a fantastic one and not consistent.he needs to build his confidence and composure,,

All true
Re: Mikel Is Underrated By Outsiders - Frank Lampard by ukpaku: 9:27pm On Jul 30, 2012
ogaemma: The man who played that role b4 Mikel was inspiring, aggressive and a scorer. Then why is Mikel not scoring? Why is he holding unto the ball only? What his fans are saying is Mikel should start steping on the aggressive and scoring shoes of Makalele.
mind u makelele wasn't scoring goal while in chelsea

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

First Pictures From Access Lagos Marathon / Lineups Released For The Nigeria Match Against Ghana: Your Thoughts? / England Women Make History With Incredible 20-0 Win Over Latvia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.