Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,991 members, 7,838,507 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? (7807 Views)

Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True / Japanese Or German Cars- Which Do You Prefer And Why? / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Fhemmmy: 1:33pm On Aug 08, 2012
aieromon: How do you detect a high mileage car whose odometer has been rolled back?

VIN Report like someone said, and also, sometimes, it is simple calculations, like i see on NL sometimes, people selling a 2008 Toyota camry for under 2.5M Naira and the mileage is low and claim the ride is in great condition . . . i see most of such (Probably not ALL) as packaged Lemon.
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by aieromon(m): 5:08pm On Aug 08, 2012
Thanks for the response.
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Lexusgs430: 6:07pm On Aug 08, 2012
aieromon: How do you detect a high mileage car whose odometer has been rolled back?
(1) vin check
(2) state of pedal wear
(3) state of steering wear + drivers seat wear
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Fhemmmy: 6:12pm On Aug 08, 2012
Lexusgs430:
(1) vin check
(2) state of pedal wear
(3) state of steering wear + drivers seat wear

I dont agree with that one, cos many people wrap the steering with accessories as well as there are chair covers that could make it look mint once removed, also the pedal could be worked on. . . VIN Check is always your best source
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by ZIMDRILL(m): 9:55pm On Aug 08, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Not totally true at all, SIr . . . In most cases, yeah.
Try and let a "Chinese" hit your ride and you will see how they will beg and apologize for them to fix the ride and dont get the police involved.

you are missing the point why would let him/her go if it is a serious damage to your car ?

we are not talking of bumper scratching we talking of something that will make your car being twisted and heated to be straight etc
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by BizBooks(m): 10:08pm On Aug 08, 2012

As others have said, a VIN report is the best way to verify a car's true mileage. If the
mileage is not included in the VIN report as is sometimes the case, then do the following:

Multiply the age of the car by 12,000. For instance, for a 2005 model car, multiply 12,000
by 7 which will give you 84,000 miles. If the mileage is significantly less after applying
this formula, then the odometer may have been rolled back. So for every 2000 Camry you see
on NL with 70,000 miles, there is a strong likelihood the odometer has been rolled back.

P.S: This formula applies to cars shipped from the US where the average yearly mileage
driven is 12,000 miles or more (usually more).
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by BizBooks(m): 10:13pm On Aug 08, 2012
Fhemmmy:
Not totally true at all, SIr . . . In most cases, yeah.
Try and let a "Chinese" hit your ride and you will see how they will beg and apologize for them to fix the ride and dont get the police involved.

Usually, when you are involved in an accident in the US, it is not even you that calls the
Police. Other drivers passing in the area will be the first to do that and the Police will
be there before you know it. And once the Police comes, they must prepare an Accident Report
whether the drivers have insurance or not. Such reports eventually find their way into a VIN
report.
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Fhemmmy: 3:44am On Aug 09, 2012
ZIM DRILL:

you are missing the point why would let him/her go if it is a serious damage to your car ?

we are not talking of bumper scratching we talking of something that will make your car being twisted and heated to be straight etc

I think you are the one that dont seems to get it . . . It will take a foolish person to allow anyone off the hook or enter into some gentleman agreement when the damage is a big one . . . .
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Fhemmmy: 3:47am On Aug 09, 2012
BizBooks:

Usually, when you are involved in an accident in the US, it is not even you that calls the
Police. Other drivers passing in the area will be the first to do that and the Police will
be there before you know it. And once the Police comes, they must prepare an Accident Report
whether the drivers have insurance or not. Such reports eventually find their way into a VIN
report.

And if no one sees?
Or 2 friends coming from the club at night and one hit the other on a road where and at a time where people that would call the cops aint watching
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Lexusgs430: 8:59am On Aug 09, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I dont agree with that one, cos many people wrap the steering with accessories as well as there are chair covers that could make it look mint once removed, also the pedal could be worked on. . . VIN Check is always your best source

You will be surprised @ how many sellers would claim lower miles on bashed up worn pedal covering, worn seat bolsters and worn steering wheels.

Admittedly vin check is important, but would only be your guide in a society where vin checking facility is available. Once the vehicle is out of vin check jurisdiction, other stated factors come to play !!!!
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Fhemmmy: 1:41pm On Aug 09, 2012
Lexusgs430:

You will be surprised @ how many sellers would claim lower miles on bashed up worn pedal covering, worn seat bolsters and worn steering wheels.

Admittedly vin check is important, but would only be your guide in a society where vin checking facility is available. Once the vehicle is out of vin check jurisdiction, other stated factors come to play !!!!

You are very right . . .
But lemme say this again, i think it the buyers in Nigeria that are making some of the dealers to do some of the things to they do (Please note, it is not enuf to make you bad all cos of the buyers, a man ought to be able to stand his ground and protect his name instead of just money) some buyers wanna buy something that is almost impossible, in such case, a dealer needs to learn to walk away from a deal as such . . . people have asked for a year 2000 ride and they want it with mileage of 100K and yet wanna pay the price of when the mileage is over the roof top . . . And seems like like people refused to be educated when you explain to them
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by KA24DETT(m): 11:44pm On Aug 09, 2012
cretin: as an auto vin report provider on nairaland..i quite agree with the 90% statistic given by bizbooks...i hv run thousands od vin reports..and more than 90% of them are salvage/junk/accidented..........looking at it from the economics point of view..u don really blame the car dealers...nigerians want to buy cars at the cheapest price price possible..i remeber a client telling me he has 2.3 million naira..and he wants a 2010 toyota camry!!..factoring in the exchange rate , freight n clearing cost..its impossible for any car dealer to bring in a clean car at such price...the only option is a junk/accidented car.

back to topic..an accidented car isnt so bad if the type of accident is stated/known....some accidents are quite cosmectic..but any car that has FRAME DAMAGE listed in the vin report is a big no no...this means that the chassis has been damaged..the car would hv stability n vibrational issues..

high mileage cars on the other hand is still dicey...cos a car with 150k miles that is well maintained with regular oil changes/maintainace is better than a similar car with 40k miles that wasnt well maintained...heard of a case where a lady didnt change her oil for more than 10k miles...n the oil dried up and the oil warning light came up...that was when she took the car to a service center!!..by then the engine was halfway gone.....the dealer adviced her to trade in the car and pick a new car..that the car will give her problems in the future........so any unlucky person who buys that car will surely be in soup...cos even though the mileage is low..the engine is gone........

toyota gearbox has a service life of about 300k from factory
honda has about 230k miles
nissan about 150k miles.

other componenets in the car hv service life like timing belt..oil pump...water pump etc

so buying any of these car models where the mileage is close to the above listed figures...then the possibilty of ur changing the gearbox is very high

U made a good point till you got to the point of gearbox.. Where did u get your stat from ?? I had a Nissan maxima that was 220,000 miles and I drive that car back and forth US and Canada.. Honda are known for bad gearboxes., it's so notorious its actually their downside.. I wonder how u guys come up with your figures ..
Seen bMw with 330,000 miles with original gearbox and engine , Chevrolet , ford .. It all depends . Seen corolla that needs engine change at 100,000 miles ..
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by cretin: 9:04am On Aug 13, 2012
the data i gave is average mileage data/ failure mileage......its not as if its fixed in stone.i myself hv also heard of a toyota with 400k original miles on the gear box...........but if u are knowledgeable about the auto industry..u wud know that figures/data are averaged...even in real life statistics/population counts..figures and data are averaged/..
so i still stand by my earlier statement
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by thomasjohn: 10:22am On Aug 13, 2012
pls how bad is a car with frame damage?
can it be fixed?
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by cunlay007(m): 11:22am On Aug 13, 2012
Ur thread has been so much educative wish all dealers in Nigeria could follow in ur footstep,doing biznix wit integrity,transparency,honesty and a mind set that best pls ur customer is wot others should learn,never knew naija dealers could b this honest,pls keep it up u never can tell where this honest gesture wud tak u to @BizBooks and to all dat contributed positively..kudos
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by cretin: 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2012
thomasjohn: pls how bad is a car with frame damage?
can it be fixed?

it could probablly be straightened out with the right macines..............but definitely not in nigeria!
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by Fhemmmy: 1:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
cretin:

it could probablly be straightened out with the right macines..............but definitely not in nigeria!

That is very true, but u dont think there could be one or 2 coys in Nigeria that has the right equipment to make that happen?

1 Like

Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by computerglobal(m): 12:33am On May 25, 2017
For Your Vehicle History Report
Autocheck Report
Carfax Report
NMVTIS Report
Available
Sms ur Vin / Chassis no To 08060365068
Re: Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? by CarGuideNG: 10:41am On Nov 07, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can 2million Buy A Good Big Daddy / The Ten Reasons To Buy A Mercedes-benz / Nigerian Automakers Struggle With Electric Vehicle Evolution

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.