Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,151 members, 7,953,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:34 PM

How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? (2584 Views)

Help! Idm Error: Unable To Rename Downloaded File From Temp Folder / Quickly Retrieve Documents From A Windows Computer Having A Corrupted Os / How Do I Remove A Windows Multiple Boot Option? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? by komputang: 2:08pm On Dec 14, 2007
Is there anybody with the experience of renaming a Windows SBS2003 domain? I know you can use tools like rendom.exe for the full version of Windows 2003 but have no clue as what to use for SBS or if it will work. All suggestions will be appreciated, and yes I have tried Google smiley
Re: How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? by Maleeq(m): 4:10pm On Dec 14, 2007
Umm, sorry to say but you can not rename a Windows SBS domain once it has been created.

Domain rename is not supported in SBS 2003. After you install Windows Small Business Server 2003, you CANNOT change:
- The full DNS name for the internal domain
- The NetBIOS domain name
- The computer name.

Reason: These settings are used to configure Windows Small Business Server tools and applications.

To change these names, you MUST reinstall Windows Small Business Server 2003.

Hope this helps.
Re: How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? by folahann(m): 9:00pm On Dec 15, 2007
I think the Computer name can be change at the "My computer" properties
Re: How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? by Maleeq(m): 10:46pm On Dec 15, 2007
@folahann

He's not trying to change the computer name. Domain name aint the same as computer name.
Re: How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? by folahann(m): 1:27am On Dec 17, 2007
Maleeq:

@folahann

He's not trying to change the computer name. Domain name aint the same as computer name.
O my bad ! i got that wrong Sorrryy wink wink
Re: How Do You Rename A Windows Sbs2003 Domain? by komputang: 3:53pm On Dec 17, 2007
Maleeq, thx for your suggestion,I was just being lazy. Problem was the SBS was created with a valid domain name instead of .local , this made it impossible to access the company website which is hosted externally, but creating an A record in DNS which pointed to the IP address of the website fixed the problem, this saved me the hassle of rebuilding the SBS server. SBS boffins take note; the rule of thumb is that SBS domains should be .local if not you are in for a lot of pain cheesy

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

How To Speed Up My Multilinks Internet Connection / Hitv,dstv With Decoder Tv For Browsing? / How To Clean And Optimize Your Windows Pc/laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.