Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD (4401 Views)

Forex Policy:Virgin Atlantic Will Not Pull Out Of Nigeria / Access Bank's MD In Office For Over 10 Years: Why? / Shell Has No Plans To Invest In Refining In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by mukina2: 7:27am On Aug 01, 2012
Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) has debunked speculations that it plans to pull out of Nigeria.

Mutiu Sunmonu, the Managing Director of Shell, debunked the speculations during the sale of its Oil Mining Lease (OML) 34 to Niger Delta Western Ltd. in Abuja on Tuesday.

``I will like to seize this opportunity to reiterate the fact that divestment of some of these assets does not mean Shell is exiting Nigeria.

``A lot of people still equate this to mean that Shell is leaving Nigeria. We are not leaving Nigeria. We are here for the long run.’’

He stressed that the sale of oil blocs was meant to give smaller oil companies, especially the indigenous ones, the opportunity to grow and flourish.

`` We believe that having operated here for over 50 years; we should start to give opportunities to indigenous companies, especially in smaller fields.

``With all sense of modesty, by our size, we should not be struggling with small oil companies for small producing fields,’’ he said.

He said with the completion of the divestment plan and sale of oil blocs, Shell would now concentrate on more complex and capital intensive projects in Nigeria.

The Shell boss urged the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC) and the Niger Delta Western Ltd., to ensure the development of the oil and gas well.

Andrew Yakubu, the Group Managing Director of NNPC, said the initiative was part of the Federal Government’s plan to build indigenous participation in the upstream sector.

He decried the low level of indigenous participation in the upstream sector, adding that less than 10 per cent participation was presently recorded.

``In-country capacity growth has been very low; in fact it is less than 10 per cent participation.

``This is in spite of the endowment of this natural resource for many years. This has not been encouraging at all,’’ he said.

He said the NNPC was committed to growing the NPDC to produce 250,000 barrels per day by 2015.

Layi Fatona, the Managing Director, Niger Delta Western, said the company was ready to explore the oil bloc for the development of the nation.

He described the asset as rich in oil and gas and assured that the company would fast-track gas supply from it in line with the gas to power project.

The News agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that OML34 is located in the western division with a number of fields which includes Oturogu and Ughelli gas fields.

The NPDC will now have 55 per cent equity while Niger Delta Western has 45 per cent.

The signing of the Memoranda of Understanding (MoU) was also witnessed by Total and Agip. (NAN)

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/42114-shell-has-no-plan-to-pull-out-of-nigeria-says-md
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 01, 2012
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by swaggerific: 8:36am On Aug 01, 2012
If I ever become president of Nigeria, I will expel Shell and all foreign oil companies the next business day. They rip Nigeria off like we are primary school kids. If we settle down, we can build this country ourselves.
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 01, 2012
I dey laugh. Pull out for where? They can only be forced out.

2 Likes

Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by slimdiggi: 4:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
The blood of Ken Saro Wiwa still cries out for justice against shell
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by gbogboti: 4:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
swaggerific: If I ever become president of Nigeria, I will expel Shell and all foreign oil companies the next business day. They rip Nigeria off like we are primary school kids. If we settle down, we can build this country ourselves.

Black men can't rule themselves...
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Afam4eva(m): 4:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
Why will you pull out when they're raking in billions of dollars on a yearly basis.
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 4:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
As if anybody is begging them to stay. Mtcheeeeew!
By d way, have they even paid dat pollution Billions them dey owe Ogoni pipo? Abey na im make them wan pack comot?
sad
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Skywalker5(m): 4:17pm On Aug 01, 2012
Don't worry, when the oil dries off, shell will leave grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by tissot84: 4:23pm On Aug 01, 2012
Pull Out from where when their agent be Minister of Petroleum grin
Our Madam AKA the sexiest Minister
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by alaoeri: 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2012
gbogboti:

Black men can't rule themselves...
Who told u that?
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by inspirenet: 4:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
fados4sure:
They should pull out we don't need them

undecided
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by tonyx4x44(m): 4:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
bayooooooo: I dey laugh. Pull out for where? They can only be forced out.
embarassed
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 01, 2012
We thank God smiley
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by sirugos(m): 5:24pm On Aug 01, 2012
Believe me if we allow black man to handle all this oils. I give u six months there will be no oil in nigeria. Dats just d truth

1 Like

Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 01, 2012
inspirenet:

undecided

Yes they should pull out, changed and retire those old men the refused to give way for the young ones
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by ebamma(m): 6:06pm On Aug 01, 2012
this guys are making billions of naira from us how will the pull out.
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by rule(m): 6:50pm On Aug 01, 2012
Allow our Nigerian brothers to completely run the oil companies will mark the begining of doom and bias decision making.
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Mavor: 7:44pm On Aug 01, 2012
Better for us if they go.
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by ahf(m): 8:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
swaggerific: If I ever become president of Nigeria, I will expel Shell and all foreign oil companies the next business day. They rip Nigeria off like we are primary school kids. If we settle down, we can build this country ourselves.

very brilliant!!
like we built power supply undecided
I presume you have home grown skills and technology to operate??
these firms are not fully covered in glory, but our Nigerian setup is far worse.
God forbid we start to see Nigerian firms cutting corners and occurrence of incidents/accidents in the industry.

They have exited Warri, Rivers and Bayelsa up next, just a matter of time, forget the MD grammar.
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by biggzman: 11:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
I'll be the happiest person if shell pull out of 9aija.
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
50 years of penury.... Shell better start packing una bags cause soon we will give you guys run from this country. You have thiefed enough
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by yomz1e(m): 7:49am On Aug 02, 2012
why blame shell? blame the government! Shell cannot be held responsible for the damages they have caused Delta state, if they live another Billion $$$ company will just fill the void. Petition the Government to look after their own citizen and shell will operate better. Do you think Shell operate like this in developed countries? NO! look at the oil spillage BP caused in US and Mexico. Some of the high ranking bosses lost their jobs and was heavily fined by the US and Mexican Government, but in Ngeria everything is swept under the carpet. I myself want shell to stay o, cos i dey look for that oil money too,
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Skii(m): 8:00am On Aug 02, 2012
Is this a sign of something they have seen that we have not? Is the oil starting to finish? Are they planning a careful exit strategy?

Assuming the purported oil that we have is actually less than it is, are they envisaging a scenario where it will suddenly dawn on Nigeria that there is not even a single drop anymore and that they would be the ones to take the blame immediately?

Hmm....this thing is fishy o
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by Cleanman(m): 8:56am On Aug 02, 2012
Skii: Is this a sign of something they have seen that we have not? Is the oil starting to finish? Are they planning a careful exit strategy?

Assuming the purported oil that we have is actually less than it is, are they envisaging a scenario where it will suddenly dawn on Nigeria that there is not even a single drop anymore and that they would be the ones to take the blame immediately?

Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by mcnepow(m): 12:14pm On Aug 02, 2012
Skii: Is this a sign of something they have seen that we have not? Is the oil starting to finish? Are they planning a careful exit strategy?

Sorry to dissapoint you, oryel nor go finish anytime soon. . .
A friend of mine told me that when his dad wanted to join an E&P company 30yrs ago - people say e be like say him don dey mad to go enter there when oil 'go soon' finish.
Try to fall into the sector and grab your own share of the booty for the next 20yrs.
If you see 'their' project plans of wells to be drilled for the next5years, u fit get stroke. The oryel plenty!!
Re: Shell Has No Plan To Pull-Out Of Nigeria - MD by ahf(m): 9:27am On Nov 19, 2012
Total has joined the wagon of exiting land locations.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/total-confirms-sale-of-some-nigerian-assets/130384/

More business for local firms, hope they can step up to the challenges.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Foreign Reserve Rises To $41.3billion / How To Make Regular Income With Google Adsense / Is All Solutions Network A Scam Or Legitimate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.