Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? (21188 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Shocked And Surprised With Northern Nigeria (photos) / Students Who Do These 5 Things Will Succeed Academically - INFOGRAPHIC / Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by yemorinho(m): 7:56am On Aug 01, 2012
It's such a pain in the neck.

I'm a serving corp member in one of the northern states and teaching in this Govt Sen Sec Sch has not been a bumper ride. I was assigned to teach mathematics and my first class was in SS3.

I was solving statistics and got to a point where I exclaimed '6x6'. The whole class was silent like a grave. (Prior to this time I had been carrying everyone along, with an intermittent 'understood?' and they would chorus a 'yes sir').

I then started pointing at students randomly. Some said 12, some, 10. Most others were jst mute (these were students who would b sitting 4 SSCE 3months from that time ). Only one student, the head prefect bailed the class. Was further shocked the following day when some students I had given †he task of studying the multiplication table couldn't recite 2x table past '2x5'.

It goes on an on... SS2 students also can't differentiate between '2 raise to power 3' and 2x3. To say the end of term assessment was woeful would b needless.

My counterparts in other northern states also experienced same and it cuts across all subjects. It's so discouraging, as this means students can't reproduce what u teach 'em owing to lack of the basic knowledge they ought 2 have acquired before that level.

This got me worried about the future of these lads.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by okosodo: 8:29am On Aug 01, 2012
because it is so easy for them to get anything they want, so they make no effort to get it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Deeman87: 9:02am On Aug 01, 2012
Guy,it is evrywher u find such category of students. I served in d south south n i knw wat am sayin....

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by okosodo: 10:25am On Aug 01, 2012
Deeman87: Guy,it is evrywher u find such category of students. I served in d south south n i knw wat am sayin....
dont compare

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by ishmael(m): 11:36am On Aug 01, 2012
okosodo: .
dont compare
Why not? We find such in every region of nigeria. U may find more in the far north though.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by ishmael(m): 11:38am On Aug 01, 2012
yemorinho: It's such a pain in the neck. I'm a serving corp member in one of the northern states and teaching in this Govt Sen Sec Sch has not been a bumper ride. I was assigned to teach mathematics and my first class was in SS3. I was solving statistics and got to a point where I exclaimed '6x6'. The whole class was silent like a grave. (Prior to this time I had been carrying everyone along, with an intermittent 'understood?' and they would chorus a 'yes sir'). I then started pointing at students randomly. Some said 12, some, 10. Most others were jst mute (these were students who would b sitting 4 SSCE 3months from that time ). Only one student, the head prefect bailed the class. Was further shocked the following day when some students I had given †he task of studying the multiplication table couldn't recite 2x table past '2x5'. It goes on an on... SS2 students also can't differentiate between '2 raise to power 3' and 2x3. To say the end of term assessment was woeful would b needless. My counterparts in other northen states also exprerience same and it cuts across all subjects. It's so discouraging, as this means students can't reproduce what u teach 'em owing to lack of the basic knowledge they ought 2 have acquired before that level. This got ♍e worried about the future of these lads.
which of the northern states?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Lordave: 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
yemorinho: It's such a pain in the neck. I'm a serving corp member in one of the northern states and teaching in this Govt Sen Sec Sch has not been a bumper ride. I was assigned to teach mathematics and my first class was in SS3. I was solving statistics and got to a point where I exclaimed '6x6'. The whole class was silent like a grave. (Prior to this time I had been carrying everyone along, with an intermittent 'understood?' and they would chorus a 'yes sir'). I then started pointing at students randomly. Some said 12, some, 10. Most others were jst mute (these were students who would b sitting 4 SSCE 3months from that time ). Only one student, the head prefect bailed the class. Was further shocked the following day when some students I had given †he task of studying the multiplication table couldn't recite 2x table past '2x5'. It goes on an on... SS2 students also can't differentiate between '2 raise to power 3' and 2x3. To say the end of term assessment was woeful would b needless. My counterparts in other northen states also exprerience same and it cuts across all subjects. It's so discouraging, as this means students can't reproduce what u teach 'em owing to lack of the basic knowledge they ought 2 have acquired before that level. This got ♍e worried about the future of these lads.
My brother, the answer is Boko Haram

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by tonardo(m): 3:06pm On Aug 01, 2012
BOKO if u put HARAM u go stot school,..
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Afam4eva(m): 3:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
They've been fvcked over and over again by their leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by quest003: 3:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
It was planned dat way by Lord lugard back in those years

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 01, 2012
guys, i beg ur pardon to disagree with u that northernern are backward academically.
we are realy up to date academically. we have it takes when it come to academic field of studies and learning. pls stop saying all these rubish

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by ebamma(m): 3:12pm On Aug 01, 2012
in northern nigeria arabic education is valued more than western education

8 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 01, 2012
Deeman87: Guy,it is evrywher u find such category of students. I served in d south south n i knw wat am sayin....
I served in the South-South too and I perfectly agree with you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by yommy2sure(m): 3:14pm On Aug 01, 2012
its simple... Western education is sin or taboo= Boko Haram

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by MacLovington(m): 3:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
The problem has been there a long time.

Many Northerners were sent to southern boarding schools even 30 years back. I had many of them as mates. They were often kids of army officers and federal civil servants who had worked in the south before and saw the difference. When transferred to the North, they sent their sons back south to study. These guys are engineers, accountants etc today.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by nagoma(m): 3:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
1. Can you list other places you have taught before your present job please?
2. A good teacher can always produce changes and make an impact instead of the" I know it all " mourning. Are you a trained teacher ?
3. If you call 6x6 academic , you couldn't have gone above SSCE yourself.
4. Remember GEJ has a PhD, or so they said.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by dtemidare: 3:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
why wont they be when their brothers are busy stealing trillions of naira away to foreign accounts in us, saudi arabia etc. building hotels and estates in some african countries. when there is a problem in the north the leaders there will put the blame on every nigerian.

selfish bastards.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Gbigbon: 3:19pm On Aug 01, 2012
I think the problem lies with their leaders. The youths have been so brainwashed that they prefer studies in Islamic matters to western education. Their system has also encouraged it. Most of the schools in the Northern, aside those established by private individuals, are Islamic schools, whose major subjects taught are Islamic in nature as against the secular subjects. They believe that if you achieve a certificate in Islamic studies, you have known everything and acquired education. At the end of it all, the government will provide education for you.

Well quota system did not help matters too.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Aug 01, 2012
MacLovington: The problem has been there a long time.

Many Northerners were sent to southern boarding schools even 30 years back. I had many of them as mates. They were often kids of army officers and federal civil servants who had worked in the south before and saw the difference. When transferred to the North, they sent their sons back south to study. These guys are engineers, accountants etc today.
and there are many more of professionals in all field of endeavour today in the north. i mean real frofessionals.
one of them was just appointed as the 1st female CJ in nigeria now

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Gbigbon: 3:20pm On Aug 01, 2012
At the end of it all, the government will provide employment for you.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by yommy2sure(m): 3:21pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes: guys, i beg ur pardon to disagree with u that northernern are backward academically.
we are realy up to date academically. we have it takes when it come to academic field of studies and learning. pls stop saying all these rubish

Guy lets call a spade a spade.... Its the gospel truth, taking the whole sample, the north is backward in terms of education, its a function of the mentality of the people and the value they place on education, needless to say is the clash between western education and quranicl/arabic knowledge. They find it difficult to choose one or combine both.

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Almaiga: 3:22pm On Aug 01, 2012
its everywhere, i served in a community secondary school in south south.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Aug 01, 2012
[quote author=yommy2sure][/quote]
pls stop being myopic because u dont know much about this topic of discussion.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Super1759: 3:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
how can you say its everywhere.maybe you don't understand him.in my nysc in kogi.waec is written on the board and even the best school pay invigilators to chill let them help their students of course academically they are backwards.
Jus to let you know.jamb,waec and neco'standard varies in states.east and south is tougher. You want to try go to ph,owerri or even aba.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Maxdiamond(m): 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2012
They dnt belive 2 much in education and also in wealth.Being a cattle rearer and a li2 hut 4 dia theirselves and families is enof 4 them.dat's wat i think.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 01, 2012
the norht have real time professionals in all fiend of studies. u guys are just tagging the north as been backward considering this current issue of insurgence. it will soon be over guys.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 01, 2012
Super1759: how can you say its everywhere.maybe you don't understand him.in my nysc in kogi.waec is written on the board and even the best school pay invigilators to chill let them help their students of course academically they are backwards.
Jus to let you know.jamb,waec and neco'standard varies in states.east and south is tougher. You want to try go to ph,owerri or even aba.
pls tell us its not happening in EKITI and Bayelsa stated...
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by nagoma(m): 3:30pm On Aug 01, 2012
dtemidare: why wont they be when their brothers are busy stealing trillions of naira away to foreign accounts in us, saudi arabia etc. building hotels and estates in some african countries. when there is a problem in the north the leaders there will put the blame on every nigerian.

selfish bastards.

Which brother is stealing trillions? You obviously mean Jona the president and his friends.isn't it. Transforming corruption to new heights.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Mekanze: 3:30pm On Aug 01, 2012
Western education is a sin 4 them, while arabic education rightousness. So y wouldn't them be backward?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Super1759: 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
nagoma: 1. Can you list other places you have taught before your present job please?
2. A good teacher can always produce changes and make an impact instead of the" I know it all " mourning. Are you a trained teacher ?
3. If you call 6x6 academic , you couldn't have gone above SSCE yourself.
4. Remember GEJ has a PhD, or so they said.
my friend,are you biased or what? Must he be a teacher before telling you his observation.as long as you know what your doing you can be a teacher.besides 6x6 is a mere maths for kindergaten in the east.so stop blabbing

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by MacLovington(m): 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes:
and there are many more of professionals in all field of endeavour today in the north. i mean real frofessionals.
one of them was just appointed as the 1st female CJ in nigeria now

Not only in Naija:

I have a core northerner acquaintance in Uk who is a lawyer, another a physics academic.

Fact is if given a good opportunity they excel but the percentage that gets that opportunity is higher in the South than in the North. So even 30+ years back many were going down south for that opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Almaiga: 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
1supremo:
I served in the South-South too and I perfectly agree with you.

in the south south they believe money can buy them everything. imergine this, when you give the studens a test or terminal exams, some of the students would trace you home with either money or food stuffs and the'll beging to speak police language so that you pass them.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yale University: Withdraw The Honorary Doctorate Degree Given To Ngozi Iweala Of / Sexual Misconduct: OAU, UNIABUJA Dismiss Four Profs, 14 Others / UI Medical Students Sleepover Outside The School After Being Evicted From Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.