Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? (21189 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Shocked And Surprised With Northern Nigeria (photos) / Students Who Do These 5 Things Will Succeed Academically - INFOGRAPHIC / Why The Word "AMBULANCE" Is Written Backward (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Afam4eva(m): 4:49pm On Aug 01, 2012
aribisala0:
I expressed an opinion if you disagree say so and why.i don't know if I am smart but really question who you are to ask me that?
We all cannot agree on everything and disagreements don't have to be personal.
So you have been studying me? I am flattered sorry I have not noticed you so I won't comment on you.
I do not agree with what seems to me a bigoted and prejudicial attempt to stereotype one section of our counry.
Maybe I am wrong but that is my view so please do not try to muzzle me.Feel free to speak your mind.
peace.
You're free to express your opinion just like i have the liberty to counter your opinion as well. It's imperative that you don't misquote the OP so that we don't argue unnecessarily.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by nagoma(m): 4:52pm On Aug 01, 2012
9ja voice:

The major reason why core-north can never progress academicaly.
cuz even the educated ones couldn't figure out their failures when they see it,
so tell me how will they solve it.
pls may this country divide quick. i don't know why we are living together with these pple.
if they can't upgrade their educational system and society what on earth will they offer to this country.
pls let ths country divide.

Tell your southern PhD - Jonathan , he can make the timetable for separation anytime and you can take him with you back to the creeks.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by asala1: 4:52pm On Aug 01, 2012
Super1759: how can you say its everywhere.maybe you don't understand him.in my nysc in kogi.waec is written on the board and even the best school pay invigilators to chill let them help their students of course academically they are backwards.
Jus to let you know.jamb,waec and neco'standard varies in states.east and south is tougher. You want to try go to ph,owerri or even aba.
Bros I served in osun state in a govt school in ilesha precisely, its the same. The fault is from their teachers, they don't care about the students.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by boneruns(m): 4:53pm On Aug 01, 2012
Almaiga:
in the south south they believe money can buy them everything. imergine this, when you give the studens a test or terminal exams, some of the students would trace you home with either money or food stuffs and the'll beging to speak police language so that you pass them.

Your kind is the reason why people see the north as being backward academically.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by accused(m): 4:53pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes:
I bet u re not more educated than dos u re insulting. i can bet that u are the most dundi student if u even past thru school before. if u claim to be more literarte than them ple behave maturely and post decent and educative post rather than incinuating rubish that u never heard form any of them befoe but just incinuations.
Am 100% sure u attend night school (part time) if at all u had one one or ssce drop out das y u re defendin fools dat all dey knw from day one is infidel infidel ,killin for naked virgins.fool
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Alfy2: 4:56pm On Aug 01, 2012
[/quote][quote]
my brother am saying kogi state and if kogi can do this then how about the core north.the best school in ma l.g.a I was suprised do same.ma corper friend who refused that she will write for them or even help them was attacked by the students. We took the case to police yet the trait was much.that they wil only forgive her if the waec result comes out and they passed.this people don't come for class.even the serios ones can't apprehend because of their poor foundation academically."

Is this person a graduate? What's "apprehend" doing up there?

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by kutchs: 5:02pm On Aug 01, 2012
The problem is cultural, religious and institutional. Western education until recently didn‘t mean much to the northerners which explains why there are many school dropouts and ofcourse the ever ubiquitous almajiris. They are catching up though but me thinks it will be yrs before they can be discussed in the same breath with the southerners.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 5:04pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
You're free to express your opinion just like i have the liberty to counter your opinion as well. It's imperative that you don't misquote the OP so that we don't argue unnecessarily.
Counter my opinion by all means.
Asking me if I am smart is rude
You are not nairaland police.
If anyone feels i misquoted him/her and points it out I am happy to retract. I did not misquote and I wonder if you understand the meaning of MISQUOTE
By the way
Is your father smart??
just asking??
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by SamAfrik(m): 5:04pm On Aug 01, 2012
I believe OP's question came out of concern & not to ridicle north.
However with what I'v read frm other posters, education in Nigeria needs serious overhaul. Cos d more intelligent pple are d better they conduct themselves for a more prosperous society.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Aug 01, 2012
nagoma:

That sounds good . The humility to learn even at that age. I wish it was more widespread.

Shatttap my friend, Northern cronic backwardness is what has drawn Southern Nigeria to this wacked state, when u guys refused to attain better school but rather prefer almajiri and Islamic schools that teach only Sharia law and life, then send crazy looters to military to finish u guys. mtscheeew
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Afam4eva(m): 5:06pm On Aug 01, 2012
aribisala0:
Counter my opinion asking me if I am smart is rude
By the way
Is your father smart??
just asking??
Yes, my father is smart. Yours nko?
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 5:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
afam4eva:
Yes, my father is smart. Yours nko?
But he begat you Hmm??
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2012
when people are busy been useful. those guy are busy learning how to hate the west.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by pembisco(m): 5:10pm On Aug 01, 2012
becos nothernas dnt cheat in exams unlyk SS and SE,as such,d foma seems nt educated

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by kbdrim(m): 5:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
The Nigerian education system is a disaster. It might be more pronounced in the north but believe me, The difference between those northern schools and those in the south is minimal. I served in Ondo state. Both in ondo town and akure as far back as 2004.I was shocked at the level of ignorance in those secondary schools and there were about the best private schools in the state. Infact, the effect teaching had on me led me into going into teaching as a career. Nigeria might produce very few students who are naturally gifted but majority of Nigerian students right now dont know Jack. That also has to do with the teachers who cant give more than they have. You can imagine Patience Jonathan who has a degree from a nigerian university teaching students. Most teachers in Nigeria are bad products of coilleges of education and universities and so cant impact knowledge to students and we have a circle of IDIOTAs churning out Idiots. My experience in Ondo opened my eyes to the fact that education in the south isnt any different. If you look at GEJ, it sums up what our education system looks like. What private schools do in the south is just pay WAEC and NECO officials so they can use a few good teachers and NYSC members to write exams for their students. This was the same school that had a morning and afternoon bible devotion. so much for religion yet exam malpractice was never an issue for them. Until we start paying teachers the same money been paid to bankers so we can attract the best from our universities into the teaching profession. There is no hope!!!

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by 76Naira(m): 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2012
Change it to number of cows and watch the magic!!

4 nama to power of 2 malu.

Yowa!!!!! 16 suya head...

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by AGBORMAN1(m): 5:14pm On Aug 01, 2012
A Well Educated White European man just told me about 5 minute ago in Europe that His Western
countries caused African probles. He explained to me, I was Dumbfounded.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by AGBORMAN1(m): 5:16pm On Aug 01, 2012
A Well Educated White European man just told me about 5 minute ago in Europe that His Western
countries caused African probleMs. He explained to me, I was Dumbfounded.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by omenziate(m): 5:18pm On Aug 01, 2012
My time in Kano as a corper was wonderful, even their teachers didn't have WAeC, and d principal of a government school has a Diploma in islamic studies or Hausa, u might b lucky to see a BA in hausa
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by AGBORMAN1(m): 5:23pm On Aug 01, 2012
What can i say?
Well; Lets live to die another day.

Or

Some Truth are better left untold.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by lacasa: 5:27pm On Aug 01, 2012
Deeman87: Guy,it is evrywher u find such category of students. I served in d south south n i knw wat am sayin....

Gbam!!!

Those folks r d mst backward region in Africa as a whole undecided
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by SmoothCrim: 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2012
Only Ghanaian leadership can solve the education problems in the region
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by galaxi(m): 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2012
Almaiga: its everywhere, i served in a community secondary school in south south.
i'm served in the north(adamawa)
i bet you have not been to northern nigeria,most ss3 student do not undstand simple english,honestly the gap is much.
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by jamd: 5:38pm On Aug 01, 2012
Super1759: my friend,are you biased or what? Must he be a teacher before telling you his observation.as long as you know what your doing you can be a teacher.besides 6x6 is a mere maths for kindergaten in the east.so stop blabbing
I THINK U ACTUALLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE GUY IS SAYING THE QUALIFING PHRASE DOES NOT MATCH WHAT HE IS TRYING TO EXPLAIN, BECOUSE A DUMB TEACHER WENT TO TEACH IN A DUMB SCHOOL AND A DUMB STUDENT DOES NOT KNOW THE ANSWER TO 6X6 CAN NOT QUALIFY A WHOLE REGION AS ACADEMICALLY BACKWARD
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Lordave: 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2012
ajobes: guys, i beg ur pardon to disagree with u that northernern are backward academically.
we are realy up to date academically. we have it takes when it come to academic field of studies and learning. pls stop saying all these rubish
you are up to what academically? No be 16th century we de 4 our calendar?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Lordave: 5:44pm On Aug 01, 2012
AGBOR-MAN:
countries caused African probles. He explained to me, I was Dumbfounded.
share his explanations with us na
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by kaeto(m): 5:51pm On Aug 01, 2012
Some1 pls check this up, a combination of waec n neco examination for 2011/2012 in gombe state in the northern part of nigeria, just 17 people were able to make 5 credits including maths n english . And instead of accepting academic defeat, nagoma n his friends r beating their chest in this public show of shame n charade. Allah help u all o.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by TonySpike: 5:53pm On Aug 01, 2012
So much "good" English, written by the "educated" NL members on this thread, from my Northern and Southern Nigeria brothers. The situation is even worse than I imagined - after reading the replies of so many people - on this thread. Infact, I need to get panadol!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by Morgan1092(m): 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
yemorinho: It's such a pain in the neck.

I'm a serving corp member in one of the northern states and teaching in this Govt Sen Sec Sch has not been a bumper ride. I was assigned to teach mathematics and my first class was in SS3.

I was solving statistics and got to a point where I exclaimed '6x6'. The whole class was silent like a grave. (Prior to this time I had been carrying everyone along, with an intermittent 'understood?' and they would chorus a 'yes sir').

I then started pointing at students randomly. Some said 12, some, 10. Most others were jst mute (these were students who would b sitting 4 SSCE 3months from that time ). Only one student, the head prefect bailed the class. Was further shocked the following day when some students I had given †he task of studying the multiplication table couldn't recite 2x table past '2x5'.

It goes on an on... SS2 students also can't differentiate between '2 raise to power 3' and 2x3. To say the end of term assessment was woeful would b needless.

My counterparts in other northern states also experienced same and it cuts across all subjects. It's so discouraging, as this means students can't reproduce what u teach 'em owing to lack of the basic knowledge they ought 2 have acquired before that level.

This got me worried about the future of these lads.
One tin u shld understand z dat northern nigeria don't value Western Education. D tek it 2 b waste of time instead of farming or hunting.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by wholexy009(m): 6:10pm On Aug 01, 2012
I agree with u to some extent but this is a general problem. I also witness something so disturbing when some student writing WAEC exam were finding it difficult to copy correctly from the board. This happen in edo, in fact blackboard WAEC is Wα̲̅†̥ is obtainable in most rural areas of the state
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by fellory: 6:11pm On Aug 01, 2012
Truth be told.that problem may be all over the country.however it is more evident in the north.I served in albasu local govt in kano 2003 as a maths teacher and my God I almost went beserk in my first week.I was teaching indices some day and I asked them a simple question 2^3(two raised to power 3) the answer I got had me running out of the class' takwas'this in hausa means 8.From that day I went back to the multiplication table for that class.They see their quranic teacher as very enlightened.the vice principal of that school could not even communicate in english
Re: Why Is Northern Nigeria So Backward Academically? by aribisala0(m): 6:12pm On Aug 01, 2012
AGBOR-MAN:
countries caused African probleMs. He explained to me, I was Dumbfounded.

I don't quite know what to make of the bolded bit and how an explanation can produce cataplexy.
Does his European Whiteness give any greater credence to his explanation?that is his opinion
There are many other White Europeans who argued in academic papers that litter the internet how their overall Net impact on Africa was positive. A debate that will rage for ever.
Does all of Africa have the same problem? I don't think so

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yale University: Withdraw The Honorary Doctorate Degree Given To Ngozi Iweala Of / Sexual Misconduct: OAU, UNIABUJA Dismiss Four Profs, 14 Others / In Memory Of The Aluu Four Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.