Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,901 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria (7219 Views)

10 Ways To Charge Your Phone In An Emergency / My Experience With 112 Emergency Number. / Nigeria’s Emergency Number 7411 Goes Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by Alore: 2:01pm On Aug 01, 2012
I once dialled 911 on my phone here in Nigeria and was first surprised to hear the phone ring. Then had my eyes opened in surprise in hearing a voice at the other end! The lady that answered confirmed it is indeed an emergency line and that it works. Has anybody here used the line for any emergency purpose here in this country?

1 Like

Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by Rocktation(f): 2:26pm On Aug 01, 2012
Someone just confirmed this! OmLawd!!!! shocked
Now I really hope that a lot of Nigerians won't go into test-dial mode and thereby, frustrate the operators until they become less efficient in taking calls. Cos they wouldn't know beforehand, the difference between a distress call and someone looking to know if they're for real.

1 Like

Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by logo77: 3:10pm On Aug 01, 2012
Rocktation: Someone just confirmed this! OmLawd!!!! shocked
Now I really hope that a lot of Nigerians won't go into test-dial mode and thereby, frustrate the operators until they become less efficient in taking calls. Cos they wouldn't know beforehand, the difference between a distress call and someone looking to know if they're for real.

I am "tempted" to go into the test-dial mode. But I won't. However, what does it take for statutory government agencies like Ministry of Information, NEMA, NOA and others to educate Nigerians on the existence of this number and how to make the best use of it?

1 Like

Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by Rocktation(f): 5:08pm On Aug 01, 2012
Exactly! They're probably still busy typing long embellishments, to enhance the presentation of this itty-bitty acomplishment.

1 Like

Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by walcolm(m): 7:15am On Aug 02, 2012
Rocktation: Someone just confirmed this! OmLawd!!!! shocked

on the contrary, i believe the more people try the number and find out it works, the more WORD-OF-MOUTH awareness campaign the emergency service provider(whoever that is) will get

logo77:

I am "tempted" to go into the test-dial mode. But I won't. However, what does it take for statutory government agencies like Ministry of Information, NEMA, NOA and others to educate Nigerians on the existence of this number and how to make the best use of it?

are you sure the so called government agencies are aware the number works?
Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by Aryyor: 6:58pm On Aug 03, 2012
Mods, let's have this on the frontpage. Who knows who could be helped by this awareness?

2 Likes

Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by deloon(m): 9:52pm On May 25, 2016
Someone dialed 911 on my phone and I was surprised it rang and was picked up.
I had to google to find out if Nigeria had an emergency rescue system and I got here.
One of the search results was a page publishing an article on June 5th 2015 informing that the IGP of Police had said as at then that the 911 emergency number will be functional in 3 weeks. http://www.post-nigeria.com/911-emergency-number-will-be-functional-in-3-weeks-arase/
Its been almost a year since then so its safe to say the number actually functions.
Why haven't people been properly informed of this development?
Couple of days ago there was an accident along the Umuahia/Okigwe highway and it is very likely that the witnesses of that incident did not call 911 because they had no idea it worked. I'm sure there are so many other instances where that knowledge might have helped save lives.
I wonder why the police have not done their best to inform the pubic of this. Could it be that they are not ready to follow up such calls?
Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by HenriFayol(m): 10:33pm On May 25, 2016
It's nothing new. The real emergency number is 767 or 112 for Lagos State. When you dial 911 it redirects you to 767 or 122 emergency number of lagos state. It's been like that since 5years back. I hope they render quality and swift response now that it's no longer managed by the previous company.
Re: Emergency Line 911 Works In Nigeria by calddon(m): 5:44am On May 26, 2016
Nice but its not just the emergency number being active but the emergency services being active.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Highest Amount Of Recharge Card You Ever Bought/ever Had? / Discovered!!!how To Make Airtel Browse Faster. / Get Free Data On Airtel.. Its Hot.. 100% Freeeeeeeee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.