Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? (19702 Views)

You Got Bulges? 3 Types Of Clothes To Make Your Stomach Look Flattened / CAMOUFLAGE CLOTHES: Is It Illegal For Civilians In Nigeria?! / What Size Of Clothes Do You Wear ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by livapul86(m): 8:34pm On Aug 01, 2012
Please guys, am getting conflicting opinions about this. I recently bought some clothes online for me and my younger brother, and am being told that the clothes might be confiscated at the post office when I go to retrieve them. Pls, to those of you that Import clothes, how true is this? Would I be harassed at the Post office?
Awaiting your answers.

1 Like

Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by livapul86(m): 10:23pm On Aug 01, 2012
Abeg, Biko, Please someone should enlighten me on this.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by livapul86(m): 7:37am On Aug 02, 2012
Please don't just view, tell me if you have experienced it.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by livapul86(m): 11:49am On Aug 02, 2012
Na wa o! Pls answer na.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by Mcleo007(m): 2:41pm On Aug 02, 2012
@op, to the best of common knowledge, importation of haute clothes(ready made wears) to the country is legal provided it meets the standard or quality of import duties and more. I want to assume this is what you refer to in your post. What i believe to be illegal is the importation of 'certain' fabric materials that are readily produced locally. The reason for placing such ban is to promote local content consumption and allow for increased appreciation of home grown fabrics and also create better economies of scale drawing from the textile industry. As it is, that module is the surest way to promote the GDP towards such ends.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by livapul86(m): 3:48pm On Aug 02, 2012
^
Thank you Sir, am grateful.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by livapul86(m): 5:15pm On Aug 02, 2012
And Yes they're Ready made clothes. Why I am worried is because of an email I got from a shipping agent asking me that I should get clearance from Customs for the clothes to enable me retrieve them without problems.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by i4serious: 4:14am On Aug 03, 2012
There is no issue with importation of clothes,but it depends on where u want to receive the clothes from .Excise duty fee may be charged a times if it worth certain amount and if not u are free.The excise duty charge is all over the world, but it depends on whoever is handling your parcel at that point in time.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by livapul86(m): 12:54pm On Aug 03, 2012
i4serious: There is no issue with importation of clothes,but it depends on where u want to receive the clothes from .Excise duty fee may be charged a times if it worth certain amount and if not u are free.The excise duty charge is all over the world, but it depends on whoever is handling your parcel at that point in time.
Thank you Sir, for the clarification.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by kukus01(m): 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2012
undecidedits not illegal as far as i know as long as its for your personal use i order clothes online alot and even get them delivered to my office by the niaja post office themselves i suggest u use the registered mail option with the post office over there when placing ur order with that u get ur goods delivered to doorstep in less than 14 working days.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by Chidex2442(m): 3:14pm On Aug 11, 2012
Yes na! okirika na xzibit. very big one grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by TechRev: 3:24pm On Aug 11, 2012
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 11, 2012
It depends on how many quantities you bought, if its like 2 or 3 pcs then fear not it won't be seized.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by knotty(m): 3:37pm On Aug 11, 2012
There are 2types of prohibitions: ABSOLUTE PROHIBITION and TRADE PROHIBITION.
You will not find clothes as explicitly banned items in Import Prohibition List.

What you will find is TEXTILES and its Articles. Now, there are subsections within the Chapter relating to Textiles which have been unbanned but, these items are not fully kitted clothes which you and I wear.They are LACE, EMBROIDERY MATERIALS and the like which are raw materials for the textile industry.

So, Clothes are import prohibited items.

However, you are allowed to bring in clothes provided they are not of commercial quantity. The parameters of determining commercial value rest with Customs at the point of entry.
Therefore, your brother can send clothes to you from anywhere in the world and you will not be denied access to them so long as he does not send you a trailer load of jeans. I have received goods from overseas without any issues at the post office.

If the delivery is door=to=door, you do not even have to pay Duty as the Duty has been factored into the shipment cost.

Let me add that COMMERCIAL USED CLOTHINGS are ABSOLUTE PROHIBITION. In other words, OKRIKA are totally not allowed for Importation. The question you want to ask is, how come there are more used clothing than there are new ones in the market? Imagine a Lagos without AKUBE…
If you deal in clothing importation, please, use airfreight for your shipments as the airports are still easier to pass through than the seaport.

1 Like

Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by manny4life(m): 4:18pm On Aug 11, 2012
knotty: There are 2types of prohibitions: ABSOLUTE PROHIBITION and TRADE PROHIBITION.
You will not find clothes as explicitly banned items in Import Prohibition List.

What you will find is TEXTILES and its Articles. Now, there are subsections within the Chapter relating to Textiles which have been unbanned but, these items are not fully kitted clothes which you and I wear.They are LACE, EMBROIDERY MATERIALS and the like which are raw materials for the textile industry.

However, you are allowed to bring in clothes provided they are not of commercial quantity. The parameters of determining commercial value rest with Customs at the point of entry.
Therefore, your brother can send clothes to you from anywhere in the world and you will not be denied access to them so long as he does not send you a trailer load of jeans. I have received goods from overseas without any issues at the post office.

If the delivery is door=to=door, you do not even have to pay Duty as the Duty has been factored into the shipment cost.

Let me add that COMMERCIAL USED CLOTHINGS are ABSOLUTE PROHIBITION. In other words, OKRIKA are totally not allowed for Importation. The question you want to ask is, how come there are more used clothing than there are new ones in the market? Imagine a Lagos without AKUBE…
If you deal in clothing importation, please, use airfreight for your shipments as the airports are still easier to pass through than the seaport.

This is a good answer, you have answered pretty much all there is to know for her.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by cocoduck: 4:19pm On Aug 11, 2012
on what site did you do the shopping and how did you pay i mean transfer th money
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by cibilola(f): 4:30pm On Aug 11, 2012
I heard it's second-hand clothes that are prohibited. . .
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by maigaskiya1: 4:33pm On Aug 11, 2012
knotty: There are 2types of prohibitions: ABSOLUTE PROHIBITION and TRADE PROHIBITION.

pls my broda is it cheaper 2 bring a bus thru air dan d ship.pls explan .tnx
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by maigaskiya1: 4:36pm On Aug 11, 2012
livapul86: Please guys, am getting conflicting opinions about this. I recently bought some clothes online for me and my younger brother, and am being told that the clothes might be confiscated at the post office when I go to retrieve them. Pls, to those of you that Import clothes, how true is this? Would I be harassed at the Post office?
Awaiting your answers.
pls help me hw did u go abot d online transaction.wic website did u log in i hav beng tryng ds bt nt sucedng pls help me wit d explanatn.tnx
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by postemail: 6:21pm On Aug 11, 2012
Textile Fabrics of all types and articles thereof and Yarn falling under the following H.S. Codes remain under import prohibition;
African print [Printed Fabrics] e.g. Nigeria wax, Hollandaise, English Wax, Ankara and similar Fabrics under the following H.S. Codes – 5208.5110 – 5208.5900, 5209.5100 – 5209.5900, 5212.5100, 5212.5100, 5212.2500, 5407.4400, 5407.5400, 5407.7400, 5407.8400, 5407.9400, 5408.2400, 5408.3400, 5513.4100 – 5513.4900, 5514.4100 – 5514.4900, 5516.1400, 5516.2400, 5516.3400, and 5514.4900.00
Carpets and Rugs of all types falling under H.S. Codes 5701.1000 – 5705.0000.

But excluding the Following:
Lace Fabrics, Georges and other embroided Fabrics falling under    H.S. Codes 5801.2100 – 5801.9000, 5802.1100 - 5802.3000 and 5805.0000.00

Made-up Garments and other Textile articles falling under H.S. Codes 6101.2000 – 6310.9000.99
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by postemail: 6:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
.New ready-made clothes are not in the prohibition list.
.Used clothes are prohibited.
.Importers of new clothes from china and turkey declare them as tailoring materials to avoid high import duty.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by stpat1(m): 7:26pm On Aug 11, 2012
no stress. You'll just collect it from the post office. Even if they are used. Its the quantity that will judge if it will be legal or not. Since its just clothes for personal use then u have nothing to fear. I've recieved clothes and shoes countless times.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by slimming: 7:35pm On Aug 11, 2012
Go to custom website and check the list of prohibited items.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by CHIMSKY(m): 8:04pm On Aug 11, 2012
livapul86: And Yes they're Ready made clothes. Why I am worried is because of an email I got from a shipping agent asking me that I should get clearance from Customs for the clothes to enable me retrieve them without problems.

The agent is trying to frighten you into parting with some money.The guy wan open office for your head.Or why do you think he is called an agent?
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by Kingmanny88(m): 9:26pm On Aug 11, 2012
stpat1: no stress. You'll just collect it from the post office. Even if they are used. Its the quantity that will judge if it will be legal or not. Since its just clothes for personal use then u have nothing to fear. I've recieved clothes and shoes countless times.
Please, from which website(s) can I order for stuffs like clothes, shoes, phones & how do I make payment.
Thanks.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by erniewhez(m): 2:19am On Aug 12, 2012
@mai gaskia, post.email, hw about importing like 150 pcs of plain t-shirts. is it prohibited?
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by bengunsman(m): 6:50am On Aug 12, 2012
mai gaskiya: pls help me hw did u go abot d online transaction.wic website did u log in i hav beng tryng ds bt nt sucedng pls help me wit d explanatn.tnx
. www.aiexpress.com

1 Like

Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by jerome84(m): 7:14am On Aug 12, 2012
gudmonin all, please i'm looking for a reliable frieght company that can deliver items to Nigeria from china, the items are just mobile phones and laptops.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by postemail: 7:16am On Aug 12, 2012
erniewhez: @mai gaskia, post.email, hw about importing like 150 pcs of plain t-shirts. is it prohibited?

No problem. But expect to pay close to 20% tariff + vat of the invoiced amount.
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by abysirius(m): 8:57am On Aug 12, 2012
livapul86: Please guys, am getting conflicting opinions about this. I recently bought some clothes online for me and my younger brother, and am being told that the clothes might be confiscated at the post office when I go to retrieve them. Pls, to those of you that Import clothes, how true is this? Would I be harassed at the Post office?
Awaiting your answers.
What's the procedure? I wish to book for some too. I mean nice office shirts
Re: Is The Importation Of Clothes To Nigeria Illegal? by abysirius(m): 9:02am On Aug 12, 2012
jerome84: gudmonin all, please i'm looking for a reliable frieght company that can deliver items to Nigeria from china, the items are just mobile phones and laptops.
Libra Circle Ltd; containerised, break bulk, pallets etc. Check out their site: www. Libracircle.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

Helen Paul & Uti Nwachukwu On The Cover Of Redsheet / Best Ways To Wear Coloured Jeans To Sync With Your Style Personality / Nike Is Restocking The Super Eagles 2018 World Cup Collection!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.