Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:48 AM

Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ (6809 Views)

See Nnamdi Kanu’s Facial Expression When He Was Denied Bail (photos) / Lecturer Dr Danfulani Arrested For Criticizing Buhari On Facebook Denied Bail / DSS May Arrest APC's Ambode Over Criminal Conduct In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by karlmax2: 12:37am On Aug 02, 2012
One of the suspects of fuel subsidy fraud, Oluwaseun Ogunbambo, was on Wednesday refused bail by a Lagos High Court in Ikeja due to his history of unresolved criminal allegations and his multiple identity.

Justice Adeniyi Onigbanjo ordered that Ogunbambo be remanded in Ikoyi Prisons pending the determination of the case. He said the trial would be given an accelerated hearing.

Onigbanjo said the evidence adduced by counsel for the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Messrs Rotimi Jacobs and Mr. Francis Usali, was sufficient enough to deny the bail.

Onigbanjo said the most compelling grounds for refusing the bail were “his multiple identity and his propensity to get multiple passports each time one was seized.”

The court also hinged the decision to deny him bail on “previous and unresolved criminal allegations”.

Onigbanjo said the suspect’s criminal history had “cast a huge question” and doubt on his claim that he would not “take flight” and be available to attend trial.

Jacobs, while urging the court to refuse the bail, said Ogunbambo had a criminal record of obtaining separate loans of N230m and N430m from Stanbic IBTC Plc in 2010 with forged document.

Jacobs said Nigerian and British passports were seized from him in 2010 when he was granted administrative bail during his investigation for the alleged crime.

“He was invited and released on bail but jumped bail and that has stalled the trial since 2010,” Jacobs said.

Meanwhile, Ogunbambo’s counsel, Mr. Babajide Koku, had asked the judge to grant bail to his client, promising that the accused person’s passport would be deposited with the court.

But Jacobs rejected the argument on the grounds that seizure of the accused person’s passport was no longer sufficient to guarantee his attendance to trial.

He said, “The EFCC is still in custody of his two passports – British and Nigerian – but he is still travelling out the country.

“Even if he deposits a passport with this court, this will not guarantee his presence because he will go and get another one.

“He uses different names and changes names as he likes.

“In the UK passport his name is Benson Oladayo Adetokunbo Shobowale. But in this case, he is Oluwaseun Ogunbambo.”

Apart from using forged documents to obtain loans from the Stanbic Bank, Ogunbambo was also said to have been caught with cash at an Irish airport, a matter which he said was still under investigation

http://www.punchng.com/news/subsidy-scam-suspect-denied-bail-over-criminal-history/

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Super1759: 7:05am On Aug 02, 2012
The guy is a real crook.a rogue.
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by pokur: 7:18am On Aug 02, 2012
If the EFCC knew this guy's history since 2010,how come he got license to import fuel and claim subsidy?

9 Likes

Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Okijajuju1(m): 8:51am On Aug 02, 2012
>>>SUBSIDIZED<<<<
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by santuse: 8:52am On Aug 02, 2012
pokur: If the EFCC knew this guy's history since 2010,how come he got license to import fuel and claim subsidy?
That is Nigeria for you. He might even be given a national honour.

5 Likes

Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Okijajuju1(m): 8:53am On Aug 02, 2012
pokur: If the EFCC knew this guy's history since 2010,how come he got license to import fuel and claim subsidy?

Thats one slippery m'otherfucker... angry

If he could get new passports and change his identity, how difficult do you think it would have been for him to register a company under a different name and transact business through it?!

1 Like

Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by nodullin(m): 8:53am On Aug 02, 2012
This guy is a freaking Gang-sT*R!!!!

Naija I hail thee!!
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by CHIDIEJIOGU: 8:53am On Aug 02, 2012
KUNTA KUNTE.WHY IS IT THAT CRIMINALS ARE ALWAYS SUCCESSFUL?
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Yaya6: 9:01am On Aug 02, 2012
This guys is a real crook. He should not be released if I will advise
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by onandon: 9:01am On Aug 02, 2012
He's simply a proxy doing the dirty jobs for the "top dawgs" that can't be named.
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by TrueNaijaguy: 9:05am On Aug 02, 2012
Serves him right. Kudos to the judge.
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by mufc009(m): 9:06am On Aug 02, 2012
Stewpid Tribalist are here again
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by ANYPEN(m): 9:08am On Aug 02, 2012
So someone can attain this level of crookedness with EFCC awareness & still walk the streets of this country.

He owes bank several millions of naira & still did business with the FG. Na wa o!

Thief borrow thief money & if the second thief no pay back the first theif no fit shout. These are the same banks that won't borrow genuine business owners money @ a resonable interest rate still Sanusi in all his intelligence have no policy he can enforce to correct this instead he's shouting "we must remove subsidy before we can survive".

In this country, pathetic things happen!
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Delafruita(m): 9:08am On Aug 02, 2012
Okija_juju:

Thats one slippery m'otherfucker... angry

If he could get new passports and change his identity, how difficult do you think it would have been for him to register a company under a different name and transact business through it?!

that further shows the ineptitude of the government officials.if proper screening was done,he wouldnt have been given a license.
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by DaBozz(m): 9:16am On Aug 02, 2012
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] What a dumb country! I wont be surprised if Jona calls him and gives him a national honor!
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by lacasa: 9:16am On Aug 02, 2012
They shld save themselves the pretence of "prosecuting Subsidy thieves" cos they will never spend one night in Prison undecided

They r above the law after all ( in Nigeria atleast) undecided
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Okijajuju1(m): 9:18am On Aug 02, 2012
Delafruita:
that further shows the ineptitude of the government officials.if proper screening was done,he wouldnt have been given a license.

If niggas can get away with forged documents in the US, then who are we?!

Nna free our government jor!!
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by sheff(m): 9:18am On Aug 02, 2012
Is there anything like background check in the history on nigeria system? Because is there is I guess nigeria might get better
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Okijajuju1(m): 9:19am On Aug 02, 2012
sheff: Is there anything like background check in the history on nigeria system? Because is there is I guess nigeria might get better

Yes sir there is, however, its not uncommon for some people to slip through the radar..
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by DExplorer1: 9:19am On Aug 02, 2012
These people has been looting the treasury before now, doing business as usual with NASS and cohorts all in the name of fuel subsidy. GEJ came into power brought NOI in and everything got exposed. No wonder they are pushing impeachment process against an honourable man that has blocked their avenues to loot with his attitude of ZERO tolerance to corruption. Say Yes to TRANSFORMATION AGENDA. GEJ is working!

You Need To Read These! Why He Hasn't Proposed

After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship

2 Likes

Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Okijajuju1(m): 9:20am On Aug 02, 2012
D-Explorer:
These people has been looting the treasury before now, doing business as usual with NASS and cohorts all in the name of fuel subsidy. GEJ came into power brought NOI in and everything got exposed. No wonder they are pushing impeachment process against an honourable man that has blocked their avenues to loot with his attitude of ZERO tolerance to corruption. Say Yes to TRANSFORMATION AGENDA. GEJ is working!

I am glad you can see through the Boko Haram smoke screen that GEJ is indeed working!
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by inspirenet: 9:21am On Aug 02, 2012
Yaya6: This guys is a real crook. He should not be released if I will advise

cheesy
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by wandeay: 9:24am On Aug 02, 2012
f.uck dem all
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 02, 2012
The guy nah ancient oleburuku,barawo,oshi! Its amazing how the deeds of the past still speak into the future
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by ebamma(m): 9:34am On Aug 02, 2012
criminal history my foot,abeg make i hear word na today.waiter bring me another bottle of gulder
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by jmaine: 9:36am On Aug 02, 2012
Am waiting for the usual gate crashing party lipsrsealed . . . .

But this guy na confirmed ogbologbo shocked . . . .
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by DExplorer1: 9:40am On Aug 02, 2012
Okija_juju:

I am glad you can see through the Boko Haram smoke screen that GEJ is indeed working!
What rubbi.sh are you saying?

You Need To Read These! Why He Hasn't Proposed

After Aborting 3 Times For Him, He's Set To Marry Another Lady This Month.

16 Regular Mistakes Singles Make in Relationships

25 Warning Signs of a Possible Break up in Your Relationship
Re: Subsidy Scam Suspect Denied Bail Over ‘Criminal History’ by Okijajuju1(m): 9:46am On Aug 02, 2012
D-Explorer:

What rubbi.sh are you saying?

Huh!!!

I know you read my post, but I am now forced to ask you if YOU UNDERSTOOD MY POST?! There is a big sea between reading and understanding what you read. If you didnt, then come out and nicely ask me to explain and not for you to cover your lack of understaning with rudeness.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Economy Not Growing - Sanusi / The Sacred Ofo Of Igbo People And The Staff Of Moses In Comparison / National Economic Council Okays Fg’s Measures To Beat Recession

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.