Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,967 members, 7,810,680 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Resume Tips and More. . . . - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Resume Tips and More. . . . (15350 Views)

7 Not To Miss Resume Tips / CV/Resume Tips To Get The Interview / Format Of A Nigerian Resume (CV) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resume Tips and More. . . . by SisiKill1: 4:31pm On Aug 02, 2012
Don't know how best to update this but here goes

UPDATE 1
Click Here for Resume Tips

FOUR WAYS TO STAND OUT IN A JOB SEARCH
Are you frustrated because you've applied for dozens of jobs online and haven't heard back?

This is probably one of the most common frustrations of job seekers.

What can you do? Differentiate yourself from the hundreds of other job seekers.

Here are four ways to be that stand-out applicant:

1) Adapt your resume and cover letter. Take the time to adapt your resume to address the requirements of the job posting.

First look at the job posting and carefully analyze what they are looking for. Underline key skills sets, technical terms, and technology mentioned in the posting. Have you used these specific words in your summary of qualifications? Do you incorporate them in the accomplishment bullets under each job? Have you included them within your resume's technology section? Use the same underlined words and phrases in your cover letter and, most importantly, make sure you explain why you're interested in working for that company.

Your final step is to ask yourself this: can the employer clearly see (without having to think) how your experience relates to the job? This sounds like a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it, the process gets easier and faster.

And honestly, are any two job descriptions exactly the same? Why would you think you could use a single, unmodified version of your resume?

2) Take ownership. Stop waiting. Take action. If the jobs you applied for are truly of interest, then it is worth your time and effort to follow up with an email or phone call. Be sure you follow the instructions--for example, if the ad said, "No calls please," that means you shouldn't call. It is up to you (for your sanity) to find out the status of the job opening. When you do make contact or before you leave the interview, always ask what the next steps are and when you can follow up. You shouldn't have to, but the reality is, if you want an answer, you will need to. A very general rule of thumb is to follow up weekly, but ask the question to know for sure. We can't change other people's behavior, we can only change our own. Be systematic and persistent.

No news is NOT necessarily bad news. Companies don't keep applicants waiting purposely. There may be many valid reasons why they haven't contacted you yet: time lines slip, priorities switch, and sometimes financial situations change. Instead of assuming the company has filled the position or is not interested in you, follow up persistently and regularly and be sure to ask when you should follow up again. If you haven't already identified someone within the company, see the next point to understand why that is important. If it is a company or job you are interested in, don't give up.

3. Find an insider. Reach out to everyone you know and find someone who works for the company with the posted opening. When you find someone, ask them if they know about the job, its status, and who they might recommend you speak with to find out more. A company insider could potentially forward your resume along as a referral. They could also become a source of information for the status of the hiring process and let you know what is going on.

You might be able to find names of people to contact on the company website, on LinkedIn, the company's blog, in press releases and newsletters, or on Twitter. People want to help if they can, but remember to be polite and respectful because you will need them to be an advocate for you or perhaps an informant.

[b]4. Don't be a victim. [/b]Sure the employer has what you want...a job. But, that doesn't mean they have all the control. Think about what you can do to feel empowered. Take control of what you can. By taking action, at least you will know that you did EVERYTHING possible.

Article Here

Number 2 is one I always stress for job seekers. Don't wait, take action. . .especially after an interview. Send a Thank you for interviewing with me letter where you stress how after the interview, you are sure now more than ever that you are capable of doing the job. People (at least normal people) always respond well to POLITENESS.

During the interview. . . you make sure you find someone you can form a rapport with, so when you reach out to them a few days/weeks later it won't be just out of the blue.

I believe the biggest misconception about jobs and interviews is that the EMPLOYERS hold all the cards, if they did. . .they won't be looking for someone. So never approach the interviewer or anyone in the company hat in hand, like you are begging for something. You have a skill they need and ya darn well should be respected for it. I see people so desperate for jobs, they let the mai guards ride roughshod over them. Whaaaaaat? angry angry.

If you don't have confidence in yourself, how can you sell yourself? I'm not saying stroll in their all arrogant and whatnot, just saying be confident because you know you can do what they want.

Another thing most people don't know is that the interview process is A TWO WAY STREET, you are allowed to ask questions too (not about salary and bonuses oh) but questions like how long have you worked here, why do you like it? What the corporate culture like. . .SHOW INTEREST IN THE JOB AND THE COMPANY. Some people get in there and say nothing, just waiting patiently to be asked questions, they can answer to and most of the time it is yes and no answers. Ughhhh!!!

Let me let you in on a secret - THE INTERVIEWER IS ALSO AS NERVOUS AS YOU ARE! People think it is easy knowing what you are the final say on whether someone gets a job or not. It is nerve wrecking and helping to put the interviewer at ease by being personable GOES A LONG WAY but don't over do it. I've seen guys walk into an interview room and think because the interviewer is female, they can be all flirty. . .some to the point of being condescending. BIG, HUGE MISTAKE! cheesy cheesy

For ladies, don't get in there and start pulling a Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct like moves with your legs. . .sure you might get the job but you just might hafta spend half of the time doing it on your knees. . . lipsrsealed (and I swear to God, if anyone makes a comment about knowing from experienc, I will. . .I will. . .okay, I don't know what I will do yet but I will do something. cheesy . Seriously though. . .you have to remember that PEOPLE talk and an office is the perfect playground for gossip)

Bottom line - BE CONFIDENT, BE PERSONABLE, BE RESPECTFUL AND MOST IMPORTANTLY REMEMBER YOUR WORTH!!!!!

27 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by SisiKill1: 10:05pm On Aug 02, 2012
THE JOB HUNTING COACH INTERVIEWING TIPS

How to separate yourself from the competition and WOW potential employers, you need to show then you are the candidate who can meet their wants.

Every Potential Employer is looking for 3 things (no matter what kind of job it is)

1) That you can do the job
2) That you want to do the job
3) That you can work well with others

How do you demonstrate you can do the job?

The coach is here to help you
[flash=560,315]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUt-HugkBQw?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0[/flash]

If anyone is unable to watch the video, lemme know and I can transcribe it.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 03, 2012
Nowadays they dont want follow-up calls o.

3 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by redcliff: 12:48am On Aug 03, 2012
is it this night u want people to stand out, the reason why u r putting this up this time?
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by playahP(m): 12:50am On Aug 03, 2012
As the king of nairaland; I proudly do this thread the honour of being the first to reply.

In nigeria, I don't think its every interviewer that would like to be asked questions during job interview. This is nigeria and our mentality is quite differnt.
- thank you for interviewing me may be seen as sign of desperation and eye service. I rest ma case. Nairaland kwenu
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by ashson: 12:58am On Aug 03, 2012
if its naija, just know sombody with high influence in d govt, job wl wait 4 u

2 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by DammyFx: 1:11am On Aug 03, 2012
Finding an insider in this country to me is actually the most important.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Nobody: 1:15am On Aug 03, 2012
Is dis applicable in nigeria?
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:35am On Aug 03, 2012
Nice one.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Nobody: 1:39am On Aug 03, 2012
Story Story is made in Nigeria for the BBC.

2 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Nosyke(m): 3:28am On Aug 03, 2012
1supremo: Story Story is made in Nigeria for the BBC.
Lmao....more like made in Nigeria for nairaland.
@OP ⌣»̶·̵̭̌·̵̭̌✽̤̈̊Ŧђɑ̤̥̈̊п̥̥̲̣̣̣kƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇✽̤̈̊·̵̭̌·̵̭̌«̶⌣ for the tips sha 'just wondering if the tips are applicable to Nigeria'
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Egbagirl(f): 3:44am On Aug 03, 2012
It might be Nairaland but not everyone on Nairaland is Nigerian or living in Nigeria. This thread could be helpful to those that are not living in Nigeria since according to you guys, it doesnt apply in NG.

On a side note, I think this could very much apply to Naija. I dont see why I cant be confident (not arrogant - there's a difference). Being confident means you know your stuff. Be confident and courteous. I dont see a big deal with that. And the stuff about demonstrating team work etc, I dont see how that cant apply to naija. I guess everything depends on the type of job and the organization too. Bottomline is, dont throw this thread away all cause you think it's not applicable. You can still learn a few things from it and be different from the average job seeker in NG, which is what the thread is all about in the first place. See the positive side to it.

6 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Murphy7h4: 4:01am On Aug 03, 2012
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by BabaEleko(m): 4:39am On Aug 03, 2012
I once slapped my interviewer for being too cocky cos I know my worth. cool cool
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by acidtalk: 4:47am On Aug 03, 2012
Baba_Eleko: I once slapped my interviewer for being too cocky cos I know my worth. cool cool

*laugh make me run go do stop and search for train we pass through ebute -metta railway line*
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by acidtalk: 4:47am On Aug 03, 2012
Baba_Eleko: I once slapped my interviewer for being too cocky cos I know my worth. cool cool

*laugh make me run go do stop and search for train wey pass through ebute -metta railway line*
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by rash47(m): 5:08am On Aug 03, 2012
I guess dis thread is most applicable to serving youth corpers
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by yuskol(m): 5:16am On Aug 03, 2012
Thanks for sharing...but is this applicable in nigeria?
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by nimsy(m): 5:38am On Aug 03, 2012
Absolutely nice article. I have learnt some very important stuffs from this article, and trust I will make use of it.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Businesstools(m): 5:48am On Aug 03, 2012
Nice
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Barthx(m): 5:52am On Aug 03, 2012
Luvly piece.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by santakris(m): 6:03am On Aug 03, 2012
This little piece will go a long way in ma life. Thanks alot.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by eledalo: 6:07am On Aug 03, 2012
una wan take advice for nairalands most jobless individual? grin grin
nice advice
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Hemanwel(m): 6:19am On Aug 03, 2012
Dis is a fantastic thread,I must say. I've jus learnt som new tinz.
Pls,I wud like someone 2 post a thread on 'How to Write a Perfect Resumè'.Dat wil b d icing...
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by baslone: 6:46am On Aug 03, 2012
Just saying

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by antsut(m): 6:56am On Aug 03, 2012
Is it worth it? Because in my company you will have to be arrested and charged to court for that.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by slimming: 7:07am On Aug 03, 2012
Job in Nigeria today is about man know man. No decent organisation anymore.
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 03, 2012
Cool.

No 1 and 3 were very useful in getting my current job few months ago.

1, After repackaging my CV to suit the requirements, I covered it with a letter I titled '5 reasons why I fit the bill'. Because I knew from the advert that a top MN consulting firm will be doing the recruitment, I emphasized the training I had with that firm 2 years ago on that covering, in addition to 4 other points, all short, concise and well bulleted.

3, When I got to the stage I had to meet the company itself, internet was very useful. Did research on the company and, guess what, when I got to the company's linkedin page it was the name of the HR person I was asked to see in the email invite that I first saw on the page. I clicked his profile and saw he once worked in a sister company to the coy I was working then. Pronto, I called my friend in that our sister company to ask whether he knew Bleep person that left their coy last year. He gave me full details about him. Now, the uncertainty concerning the personality of one of interviewers had been surmounted. I was mentally prepared, I had an idea about the interviewer beforehand. It was helpful in gaining the confidence one needed in an interview. Needless to say my performance in that interview was my personal best.

My only regret was not getting a non-HR insider to chat with before the interview. I didn't have a fair idea of their pay structure, which affected my negotiation.imi

2 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by ayox2003: 7:38am On Aug 03, 2012
Someone started a lovely thread like this and people are still asking if its applicable in Nigeria. But all threads in Romance and Sexuality section is always 'applicable' in Nigeria, right?

If u've been doing the same thing without any result, would it hurt u to try something new? Put it to test first, before u discredit its worth.

Frawzey.

2 Likes

Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by SimplySEA(m): 7:50am On Aug 03, 2012
Nice piece of advice, poster! I've saved d page already!
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by Maxdiamond(m): 7:53am On Aug 03, 2012
Must sum1 lie in a C.V to 2 repackage it? Wot if d employer find out?
Re: Resume Tips and More. . . . by JideTheBlogger(m): 7:58am On Aug 03, 2012
Max'diamond:
Must sum1 lie in a C.V to 2 repackage it? Wot if d employer find out?

The are some things u can lie about. Eg if asked what u have been doing after NYSC, u can tell them that u have been into sales, selling shirts, suits etc to bankers, lecturers etc (applicable when applying for a sales position)

This will make them think you have good sales experienc even though it's a lie though it all depends how you frame it ooo

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Has Anybody Ever Gotten A Job On Push CV?? / National Intelligence Agency (NIA) Calling....... / List The Skills You Have Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.