Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? (2953 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. / Itching Of The Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 03, 2012
I can't believe that in this 21st century people stil reject money or items simply because i gave it with my left hand. Now the both hands are mine and i can decide to collect or give anything with any of my hands. I was at the market today and both hands were not free, so i stopped to buy pepper and i had to transfer everything to the right hand to collect money frm my bag hanging on the left shoulder to pay only for the woman to refuse on the grounds that she is old enough to be my mother so i should show her some respect. Hmmm pls NL do you see it as a sign of disrespect?
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Nobody: 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2012
nne3870: I can't believe that in this 21st century people stil reject money or items simply because i gave it with my left hand. Now the both hands are mine and i can decide to collect or give anything with any of my hands. I was at the market today and both hands were not free, so i stopped to buy pepper and i had to transfer everything to the right hand to collect money frm my bag hanging on the left shoulder to pay only for the woman to refuse on the grounds that she is old enough to be my mother so i should show her some respect. Hmmm pls NL do you see it as a sign of disrespect?

Is that also Nigerian culture? shocked

We learn new things everyday lol..

It's not disrespectful to me, but I don't know how you guys get down in Naija. cool
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 03, 2012
it is o... U would be surprised to find out that little things ar upheld as our way of life.
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Lordave: 5:55pm On Aug 03, 2012
It's not proper. I hate it.
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Egbagirl(f): 6:17pm On Aug 03, 2012
It's interesting that in Senegal, the same applies just like in Nigeria (at least for the Yoruba). I was in a bus one day and was trying to give the bus conductor my money with my left hand because I was standing and holding on with my right hand. He totally ignored me and immediately I switched to my right hand. Eating with your left hand is also considered rude especially since most times, people eat from the same bowl. I guess its the idea that you use your left hand to clean up after using the toilet. I dont really care if you use your left or right but I definitely wont use my left hand with others especially elders. Funny enough, Im so used to it that even when I'm not in Nigeria, I try not to use my left hand. lol

1 Like

Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2012
Egba girl: It's interesting that in Senegal, the same applies
I guess its the idea that you use your left hand to clean up after using the toilet.
wow... We Africans seems to have thesame culture then and for using your left hand to go to toilet does it matter? Its not as if person carry d shit 4 hand dey waka now...
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Egbagirl(f): 7:24pm On Aug 04, 2012
nne3870:
wow... We Africans seems to have thesame culture then and for using your left hand to go to toilet does it matter? Its not as if person carry d shit 4 hand dey waka now...

Yea, its funny how we have so many things in common. Being there was almost like I was in NG. lol. but as for the hand thing, I dunno o. In Senegal, I can maybe understand cause water is commonly used to clean up instead of toilet paper so yea. I can understand the reasoning behind it.

1 Like

Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by tpia5: 9:38pm On Aug 04, 2012
I think bias against the left hand is a universal thing.

But westerners dropped it from their culture once they got industrialized.

Nigeria/africa isnt modernized, hence we hold on to some outdated beliefs.

However, this doesnt mean lefties arent weird and wonderful people, lol.

1 Like

Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
Egba girl:

Yea, its funny how we have so many things in common. Being there was almost like I was in NG. lol. but as for the hand thing, I dunno o. In Senegal, I can maybe understand cause water is commonly used to clean up instead of toilet paper so yea. I can understand the reasoning behind it.
when i was litle there were things we were askd nt 2 do(my dad made sure that anybody who violates it recieves serious punishment) like jumping over smbdy who is lying on the ground, hitting somebody with a broom,eating with left hands etc i am stil surprised that ppl find such things as an offense.
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 11:04pm On Aug 04, 2012
I never really understood that, but i never questioned it to begin with undecided (I remember when i had go and bring something for my mom and try to give it to her with my left hand and she had give me that evil eye of "you know better" grin) . I just sorta went along with it from the start, but really though we should stop with all this "Its the 21st century" nonsense. Just because it's the 21st century doesn't mean we should lose our culture.

1 Like

Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 04, 2012
Tolaaaaannni: I never really understood that, but i never questioned it to begin with undecided (I remember when i had go and bring something for my mom and try to give it to her with my left hand and she had give me that evil eye of "you know better" grin) . I just sorta went along with it from the start, but really though we should stop with all this "Its the 21st century" nonsense. Just because it's the 21st century doesn't mean we should lose our culture.
some of the 'culture',belief, i believe are outdated and atleast we as nigerians should understand that times are changing and we ought to change and by that i dn't mean give up everything o
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Egbagirl(f): 11:20pm On Aug 04, 2012
nne3870:
when i was litle there were things we were askd nt 2 do(my dad made sure that anybody who violates it recieves serious punishment) like jumping over smbdy who is lying on the ground, hitting somebody with a broom,eating with left hands etc i am stil surprised that ppl find such things as an offense.

Its quite interesting 'cause I eat with both hands (I like to believe I'm ambidextrous cool ). I like switching it up but I won't eat with my left hand if I was eating out of the same bowl with other people. I mean, its what it is. There are so many things we do or don't do just because. I dunno jare. I do what is necessary to respect my elders and when I'm by myself, I do what I like
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by Skulboy(m): 2:42am On Nov 10, 2012
nne3870: I can't believe that in this 21st century people stil reject money or items simply because i gave it with my left hand. Now the both hands are mine and i can decide to collect or give anything with any of my hands. I was at the market today and both hands were not free, so i stopped to buy pepper and i had to transfer everything to the right hand to collect money frm my bag hanging on the left shoulder to pay only for the woman to refuse on the grounds that she is old enough to be my mother so i should show her some respect. Hmmm pls NL do you see it as a sign of disrespect?

I don't see it as a sign of disrespect. Lefties are cute to me. Right is way popular.
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by bokohalal(m): 4:19am On Nov 10, 2012
tpia@:
I think bias against the left hand is a universal thing.

But westerners dropped it from their culture once they got industrialized.

Nigeria/africa isnt modernized, hence we hold on to some outdated beliefs.

However, this doesnt mean lefties arent weird and wonderful people, lol.

It is not universal.

Industrialization has nothing on culture.

Every society has outdated beliefs.

Lefties are not weird people.
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by tpia1: 4:39am On Nov 10, 2012
they're weird [not necessarily always a bad thing], and yes, its universal.

some cultures just decided to stop bothering about it, unlike we nigerians and our semi-literacy. undecided

also, all these nlers with their juju roots who simply cant use the search function or find something else to occupy their idle time besides open d.aft threads?
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by tpia1: 12:10am On Aug 12, 2014
bokohalal:

It is not universal.

yes it is!!!!

Lefties are not weird people.

yes they are!!!!
Re: To Give And Collect Things With The Left Hand Disrespectful? by gawu1: 6:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
It is a universal culture. That some societies have given up that does take it universality away. For example, while most western industrialized societies seems to care not more about this culture as we do, they have introduced it into politics: for they have the ''Leftists & the Rightists Party.'' Even within a party, you may have those who are considered the Leftists or the Rightists. The prevailing idea is that those are whose considered Leftists are often seen as deviant. This no doubt is a carry over from their past.

(1) (Reply)

Oso Owo Gidi Taara / Yoruba Culture Video Documentary / Τ̅hε̲̣̣̣̥ Real King Of Ife Is Obalufe Not Ooni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.