Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,670 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Advice Needed On Programming Language. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Advice Needed On Programming Language. (1566 Views)

Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success / Nigeria Sucks On Programming. / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Needed On Programming Language. by darequam(m): 10:41am On Aug 05, 2012
I'm an undergraduate studying mechanical engineering in University of Ibadan, and i av close to nothing knowledge about programing but, i intend on learning one with 2 odr engineering programs. Can anyone help with the best i should pick to start with sonsidering availability of its material and easy understanding.

I hope sum1 wld throw me a hand :::
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by okeyxyz(m): 11:05am On Aug 05, 2012
python is easy to learn, if not the easiest.
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by darequam(m): 11:18am On Aug 05, 2012
So, do u av links where i can get all needed materials for it ? and what can i acheive with its full knowledge.
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 05, 2012
darequam: So, do u av links where i can get all needed materials for it ? and what can i acheive with its full knowledge.
please answer him na?
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by okeyxyz(m): 4:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
google is your best friend for resources. python is non of my primary languages, so i can't confidently point you in any direction. But try learnpython.org, it seems good. My only experience with python is on udacity.com's introduction to computer science(cs101), that's also another great resource i'd recommend.
But just be patient, there are real pyhton guys on nairaland, they are probably still in church activities now.
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by lordZOUGA(m): 5:05pm On Aug 05, 2012
learn C++... And u probably won't have to bother with learnin anoda lang
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by yomiolaoye: 9:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
I would av say C++ but it has a long learning curve. Follow by java. But u c what do want to do actualy,develog games,app,machines et.c
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by okeyxyz(m): 9:57pm On Aug 05, 2012
lordZOUGA: learn C++... And u probably won't have to bother with learnin anoda lang

i'd urge you to be careful when pushing newbies to learn c++. C++ may be the mother of programming languages but these guys don't understand how difficult c++ is, Even professionals with years of experience still struggle with it, it is not just about being able to string together a working code. this guy might take up c++ and spend the next two years on it without earning a kobo, but with python he could be earning good money within six months if he's good.
C++ is great but a wise person would look at it more as a long-term strategic language especially in this era when more managed languages abound and the speed of delivery of a project is what wins you a contract. C++ comes into it's great power & advantage only at the very professional level. This guy does not need that pain now.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by lordZOUGA(m): 12:18am On Aug 06, 2012
okeyxyz:

i'd urge you to be careful when pushing newbies to learn c++. C++ may be the mother of programming languages but these guys don't understand how difficult c++ is, Even professionals with years of experience still struggle with it, it is not just about being able to string together a working code. this guy might take up c++ and spend the next two years on it without earning a kobo, but with python he could be earning good money within six months if he's good.
C++ is great but a wise person would look at it more as a long-term strategic language especially in this era when more managed languages abound and the speed of delivery of a project is what wins you a contract. C++ comes into it's great power & advantage only at the very professional level. This guy does not need that pain now.
I suppose that's why there are libraries like
Qt C++ and Boost and many others... It provides most of those nice APIs to do most of those stuffs people do with other languages.. Like auto garbage collection, clean codes, callbacks, intuitive classes and other nice stuffs...about speed of delivery, I think that depends on how fast you solve a problem, that C++ has multiple paradigms does not mean I have to use all paradigms in a given project. When someone wants a calendar app, why will I go and start creating a server or a socket?. C++ does things in ways that makes sense... But then the OP wanted something easy... I suppose he can go for python
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 06, 2012
okeyxyz: python is easy to learn, if not the easiest.
shocked shocked are you kidding?
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by darequam(m): 5:34pm On Aug 06, 2012
lordZOUGA: learn C++... And u probably won't have to bother with learnin anoda lang

av heard abt that, so what and where do i need to get to get strted on dat ??
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by darequam(m): 5:36pm On Aug 06, 2012
yomiolaoye: I would av say C++ but it has a long learning curve. Follow by java. But u c what do want to do actualy,develog games,app,machines et.c

wldnt mind being capable of the 3, but wld strt frm d simplest whc to me shd be apps... abi ??
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by darequam(m): 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2012
lordZOUGA:
I suppose that's why there are libraries like
Qt C++ and Boost and many others... It provides most of those nice APIs to do most of those stuffs people do with other languages.. Like auto garbage collection, clean codes, callbacks, intuitive classes and other nice stuffs...about speed of delivery, I think that depends on how fast you solve a problem, that C++ has multiple paradigms does not mean I have to use all paradigms in a given project. When someone wants a calendar app, why will I go and start creating a server or a socket?. C++ does things in ways that makes sense... But then the OP wanted something easy... I suppose he can go for python

Not like i want things easy as such, I'm ready to rise up to the challenge, but wld rather strt eating my 'Moi Moi' frm the flat part as d elders do say. E.g learning A for Apple before jumping to Shakespare's Literature.
Re: Advice Needed On Programming Language. by darequam(m): 12:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
already started gathering materials sha

(1) (Reply)

First Time Proposals / Someone Should Help Me Solve This C++ Question Please / Practical C#/web Programming For Beginners ** Enter Here **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.