Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,777 members, 7,851,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:06 AM

Something You Should Know As A Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Something You Should Know As A Nigerian (532 Views)

Today's FCT Council Election: Things You Should Know / Photo Of The Man We All Know As Julius Berger, Who Built Our Bridges / 5 Things You Should Know About INEC's Smart Card Readers(SCRs) (PHOTO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Something You Should Know As A Nigerian by danielarem(m): 9:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
Nigeria is a country full of uncommon opportunities. With a little or no capital, you can make it big and grow to become a very rich big person buzzing sirens around town with your own unique entourage! How should we start? Okay, let’s start this way. Sometimes, people erect kiosks and begin doing small businesses without receiving approval from anybody. It is illegal. They know. But when queried by the appropriate authorities, they say something like, “I am have five childrens to be raising at home and you coming here to questions me on why I opens a shop in fronts of my father’s house. I hope you’re not have skoin skoin.” In some cities, thuggish young men from virtually nowhere often appear at bus-stops to demand transit levies from commercial bus drivers in return for some cheaply-printed ticket or roughly-scribbled numbers. They always claim to report or deliver the funds to “the chairman”. Yet, the levied roads hardly get better. Of recent, it is becoming obvious that people do not have to go school to become very rich –well, so it appears. The rapidly-growing short-cut is to become a politician, the businessman friend of a politician or a notorious gang leader. If in doubt, ask any of Senator Orimoogunje Ajanlekoko, Chief Igi-aruwe Ewejoko or Baba Kontrola Olomometa and they will let you know “how it is going”.
It is a country of great economic divide where the very rich and the very poor constitute the majority of the population. The minority or middle class are those who have a mix of the two extremes. If you want to become one of the two extremes, come around and your life will not remain the same again. If you so choose, you too will manifest the traits of either or a mix of the two majorities. Here’s the gist, in Nigeria, people, and I mean human beings like you, buy small plots of lands in their hundreds of millions in locations that are within or very close to the Atlantic Ocean. They build houses and hotels in choice locations downstream and upstream as if there is nothing the waters can do. Without blinking an eye, they buy cars whose overall costs can feed five average households in one year. When they are going on vacation, they don’t just go to UK or South Africa. They travel to places like Trinidad & Tobago, Luxembourg or Adelaide thrice a year to holiday. After making phone calls at length, they do not check their account balance again and again. Yet, they are human beings like you. They breathe in nothing more sophisticated than air, fart once in a while and also go to the toilet. And they are living in this same Nigeria, not the one abroad. But there are also a lot of people outside that sect. They are those who do not have the things that make life easy. You may not understand what I mean because you are probably not among them. But if you claim to member in that group, let me disappoint you. The underprivileged people being observed here do not even have what you have. You probably have a BB or smartphone or some other kind of portable internet device and are able to read this piece solely because you know how to use the required technology. You learnt how to understand its use in some school or had friends who could teach you. Dear reader, be informed that many others cannot access what you are reading. They cannot afford the shirt you are wearing right now or even pay to eat half-a-plate of one of the simple meals you manage everyday. If you were privileged to sum up all their possessions or net worth, you may have nothing more than a four-digit number. But these people too are Nigerians. They are Nigerians who have fewer or no options. While you’re thinking of your aspirations, they’re thinking of survival. While you’re complaining about the size of your small apartment, they cannot tell if the children of their children’s children will ever live in such. While you’re upset at the government, most of them are upset at both you and that government because they think “you are one of them”. And while it is unfortunate that you’re sometimes impatient to be paid your salary, some of them are wondering if they could somehow burgle you, scare your family or just do something to hijack a portion of the fruits of your own sweat.
Re: Something You Should Know As A Nigerian by SisiKill1: 9:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
Don't mean to be rude but what is your point??!!

Are you saying people should be ok with where they are because someone somewhere is worse off??!!
Re: Something You Should Know As A Nigerian by Kobojunkie: 12:23am On Aug 06, 2012
I vote for this thread to be moved off of politics board please. Makes no sense in here and in fact makes little sense of any kind.
Re: Something You Should Know As A Nigerian by tpia5: 12:28am On Aug 06, 2012
paragraphs plz

(1) (Reply)

Fire Guts Elevator At Federal Ministry Of Finance Complex / Reps Order CBN To Withhold Introduction Of N5000 Note / Nigeria Shiite Muslims To Protest Anti-islam Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.