Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,920 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! (33792 Views)

Throwback: Iheanacho Representing Imo In A Junior Tournament / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by ndividual: 9:42pm On Aug 06, 2012
I've been following this for a while and while its sad there's no doubt where the problem lies....

I saw an elderly man on Galaxy Tv pleading on behalf of NOC that athletes should "remember" nigerians as they go for the olympics, even though they (NOC) might have "disappointed" them (by not giving them support, I think that was the gist of it). Do you honestly believe atletes training in less than basic conditions to compete better with people who not only have state-of-the-art adequate training, but ALSO THE BACKING OF THEIR ENTIRE COUNTRIES?!

The only reason why this thread even exists is because these people chose the best avenues to shine and nigeria was NOT one of them. Do you want to tell me what we brought to the olympic table is the best we have to offer? If your answer is NO, what does that tell you about the Selection Process? And then someone will tell me USA showed bad sportmanship when they drilled them in basketball.

I see people come to stadium EVERYDAY Training/pushing themselves to stand a chance at being selected, no matter how slim. If while knowing that they don't stand a chance in their native country you look at them in condescending eyes for shining for others, well too bad.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 06, 2012
SANYA Richard-Ross sounds familiar, too. She represents USA in 100metres heat.

I really wish to know more bout Gabby Douglas, that girl is SOMETHING else!!!!!! cheesy
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by sheringan(f): 9:44pm On Aug 06, 2012
Unah don forget to mention me!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by PhysicsQED(m): 9:55pm On Aug 06, 2012
gezzyvinci: we don finish...even fiji

lol
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by question(m): 9:58pm On Aug 06, 2012
gezzyvinci: we don finish...even fiji
Na condition bend crayfish.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by sbeezy8: 10:08pm On Aug 06, 2012
[size=13pt]Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua[/size]

[size=13pt]James Dasaolu
[/size]
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Jiah011(f): 10:09pm On Aug 06, 2012
mpmp: Why is everybody whining about men/women OF NIGERIAN ORIGIN representing other countries. Is it wrong to do so?

I think its pure selfishness and greed to assume and conclude that just because they have Nigerian Heritage, they have a responsibility to represent Nigeria. When these athletes were training 24/7, dreaming big, enduring all the stress and rigor of traning, working multiple jobs, applying for scholarhips up and down, getting their lifes put together, I wonder where all of you were. Now that they are at the top of their game, we have the time to start researching their surname and parental heritage.

I agree 100%!!! I made a similar post somewhere. If one's parents emigrated from their country and their children are born in a new country, those children born in that new country are citizens and people of that new country by nationality. Their heritage is elsewhere, but where they are born and raised is their home. Nigeria had nothing to do directly in forming those athletes, so why do they feel obligated to claim them? With all the corruption, tribalism, bribery, materialism, lack of institutions, etc, how can great athletes, or even other people striving for greatness with real raw talent survive in Nigeria? Not that people are not successful in Nigeria, but it's hard to do it based on sole merit and hard work. If you have money and connections, it's a lot easier. It's always North vs South, East vs West, Politics, titles-- "Who you be" or "Do you know who I am?" Enemies of Progress. A nation that eats their young by refusing to invest in them to foster a brighter tomorrow. It takes a lot of dedication and investing in talent to refine it to greatness. At least these other countries have provided means to create world-class, Olympic athletes for it people, including those of Nigerian decent. You can't say that it's an issue of just being a developing Nation, because others nations in this category are being successful. Nigeria loves to boast about itself, but what is there really for us to boast about? A lot of talk, but nothing to show for it.

Let these athletes be. They are not obligated to represent Nigeria simply because of their surname. They are representing their respective homes. People of all countries travel and make new homes for themselves. Why should Nigeria be any different? It's hard enough representing a country like Nigeria that has such a negative reputation internationally. At least these young people are showing that not all Nigerians are bad, even if they are not directly competing under Nigeria's flag.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by sbeezy8: 10:13pm On Aug 06, 2012
[size=13pt]Foluke Akinradewo[/size]

[size=13pt]Francis obikwelu[/size]

[img]http://apb.se/preview/FrancisObikwelu_EM06_0573.jpg[/img]
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by brojero: 10:23pm On Aug 06, 2012
mpmp: Why is everybody whining about men/women OF NIGERIAN ORIGIN representing other countries. Is it wrong to do so?

I for one, am quite proud of the fact that the Nigerian Diaspora is representing loud and proud across the world.

Stats wise, atheletes of Nigerian descent make up 3% of Team GB (17 out of 541).

Just goes to show our potential if the government put sports development before self interest and politics
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by queensmith: 10:28pm On Aug 06, 2012
Thanks for this topic I've been meaning to start a similar one. I've commented on this before. Bottom lie is there is no incentive for anyone to remain or play for nigeria, even africa. Those that do mostly do as a last resort. The country is still quite messed up but its a good place to begin when it comes to investing in those that represent the country, it adds pride to to the nation and gives people faith to see their countries teams propering, something Nigerian politicians will probably never understand.....I don't blame these guys at all and well done to them! I'm proud of them especially the bakares! They are really shining!
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Jarus(m): 10:29pm On Aug 06, 2012
Keneking: I feel sorry for Nigeria,now it is secession that is in the air.Ogoniland,perm sec to become prime minister, niger delta etc cant even win a medal with over 150 mil block heads.
LMFAO @ block heads grin
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by CyberG: 10:37pm On Aug 06, 2012
Jiah011:

I agree 100%!!! I made a similar post somewhere. If one's parents emigrated from their country and their children are born in a new country, those children born in that new country are citizens and people of that new country by nationality. Their heritage is elsewhere, but where they are born and raised is their home. Nigeria had nothing to do directly in forming those athletes, so why do they feel obligated to claim them? With all the corruption, tribalism, bribery, materialism, lack of institutions, etc, how can great athletes, or even other people striving for greatness with real raw talent survive in Nigeria? Not that people are not successful in Nigeria, but it's hard to do it based on sole merit and hard work. If you have money and connections, it's a lot easier. It's always North vs South, East vs West, Politics, titles-- "Who you be" or "Do you know who I am?" Enemies of Progress. A nation that eats their young by refusing to invest in them to foster a brighter tomorrow. It takes a lot of dedication and investing in talent to refine it to greatness. At least these other countries have provided means to create world-class, Olympic athletes for it people, including those of Nigerian decent. You can't say that it's an issue of just being a developing Nation, because others nations in this category are being successful. Nigeria loves to boast about itself, but what is there really for us to boast about? A lot of talk, but nothing to show for it.

Let these athletes be. They are not obligated to represent Nigeria simply because of their surname. They are representing their respective homes. People of all countries travel and make new homes for themselves. Why should Nigeria be any different? It's hard enough representing a country like Nigeria that has such a negative reputation internationally. At least these young people are showing that not all Nigerians are bad, even if they are not directly competing under Nigeria's flag.

THANK YOU! Well said!! The hypocrisy of some foolishe Nigerians is more than appalling! Did anyone notice the comments of one of the hypocrites Mr.chippychappy, who still found a way to inject a tribal slant into this topic? Look at the comments he made on non-Ibo sounding names and Ibo names and it is as clear as day what he is hinting at. Foolishness like this is why Nigeria will remain a country to be embarrassed and disgraced because even Nigerians are prejudiced towards their fellow country man! How can people so divided win anything or become significant as a people? Impossible! The same Olympiad basketballers who people say bad things about did not get any benefit from Nigeria, they don't live in Nigeria, they don't work in Nigeria but still trained and spent themselves for YOU, yet anyone still had the mouth to say something bad about them? These people deserve nothing but praise!

Nigerian governments recently was embroiled in a scandal of $8.6 B, most of which was stolen by less than 200 individuals led by Odechukwu. That is over a N 1 Tr, yet no functional institutions, organization or sporting infrastructure. Where I live here, there are basketball courts, tennis lawns, skating rinks, football fields, etc for any body to go and sleep there practicing if he wants and come home at midnight if he chooses! These are not stadia, event centers, gym, or have any staff. Just you and your friends or team to knock yourself out! Did those places grown from the ground without any effort? And these places are walking distances to your house spread all across the city but Nigerian leaders will steal all the money meant for these things and pay 40 lapdogs from their tribes to keep defending their insanity yet you FOO.LS want to win a medal? God punish you (if he has the time)! My kids are going to be wearing non-Nigerian colors most likely, just like a lot of others here but Nigerian athletes in Nigeria who are potentially world class will lose because you have already won your gold medals in praise singing, 40 lapdogging, tribalism, empty chest beating, cassava breading, etc! [size=14pt]Useless idio.ts abeg commot for road make I go cheer my other serious country! [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by passionate88: 10:40pm On Aug 06, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Are you high ? These guys are stil hustling in Britain and stop thinking they pick pounds on the street.If these sporting activities is what fetch them money,they are not better than ME cuz I dont hustle.

Ofcourse,you are one sick pauper !

and in your signature you said arguements are to be avoided... cos of it's vulgarity

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by nasty45(m): 10:57pm On Aug 06, 2012
BabaOlowo: There is also Danielle Alakija for FIJI
of all the countries in d world'FIJI'naija don swuffar
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by kutchs: 10:57pm On Aug 06, 2012
Godogwu: Please!! Most of them were probably born there and may have not even visited Nigeria once or they are immigrants of some sort who preferred their immigrant countries to Nigeria. Frankly they are entitled to where they want to represent and it's really no big deal. Nigeria also has athletes of all sorts, we've won medals previously and we will also win in the future to come......like!! Lets get This straight It's not a do or die affair!!!
God bless u bro, hate it when pple dismiss Nigeria as no good. In olympic history Nigeria is neida the best nor the worst but you have Nigerians who would want you to believe she is the worst (the OP implied it)
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by solomon111(m): 11:02pm On Aug 06, 2012
I hope that they would stop calling the criminals among these so-called 'children of immigrants', Nigerians,thereby denigrating the reputation of 'real Nigerians.
Their adoptive countries should take responsibility for both the good and the bad among them.
Anything short of that would be at best hypocritical,and unfair.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by kutchs: 11:03pm On Aug 06, 2012
SmoothCrim:

Because more Southern Nigerian travel overseas!! Also 419 is not merit!! In fact most of the bad stereotypes of Nigerians were created by Southerners!! All this does not matter...

What matters is the simple fact that ONLY GHANAIAN RULE can SAVE West Africa!!!
Can you idiot tell me how many Olympic medals Ghana has?
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by clemmonce(m): 11:07pm On Aug 06, 2012
op my broda starting a billion naira sport industry is not the problem. maintaining it is the problem look at abuja stadium today. you will weep that is if u love nigeria when u see the pitch
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by UNLEASHED(m): 11:27pm On Aug 06, 2012
OlowoTee: SANYA Richard-Ross sounds familiar, too. She represents USA in 100metres heat.

I really wish to know more bout Gabby Douglas, that girl is SOMETHING else!!!!!! cheesy

Sanya Richards-Ross ain't Nigerian...She's Jamaican American
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by linearity: 11:27pm On Aug 06, 2012
shymex:

If selling your soul for riches = lucky..

I guess they're lucky...

...but how does that equate to selling their souls? Have you ever stop to reason that, their talents might not have been prone to this level were they still in this Country? Also, environment, friends,etc that one grows up in/with also affect what that person will becomes...most likely the immediate environment plus the community, friends, etc influenced them into sport, they might not have gotten the same type of environment growing up here in Nigeria.

Look at Farah, the Somalia native that won the 10,000 race for GB, he have lived in GB since he was 8 years old and some of these athletes might be in the same position...are you saying after leaving in GB for 8 yrs...it was Farah's teachers that influenced him into long distant race...he never wanted to run long distant races, he wanted to play soccer....and having been shaped by that society, they should forsake all that and come to compete for Nigeria just because they have some type of parental linage here?

If that is the case, all black people not competing for Egypt or Countries around the Nile river must have sold their souls, because the history books tells us that, we have some type of parental linage that can be traced to that part of the world....and all Benins should be competing for the Ifes or Yorubas in the next all Nigerian games....
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by publisher(m): 11:39pm On Aug 06, 2012
[size=15pt]Can we also take time out to celebrate other Nigerians that were born and bred abroad but still decided to represent Naija to the fullest.

Peter Odewinge
Victor Anichebe
Victor Moses
Jonathan Akinyemi
Abeg,if una know any forward their names jare.

Immigration is a way of life,it has nothing to do with how good a country is economically. Most of the Jamaican Athletes doing their country proud were either born,bred,raised or TRAIN in the United States of America. It's a personal decision,some people feel strongly about their heritage,others dont.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:40pm On Aug 06, 2012
OlowoTee: SANYA Richard-Ross sounds familiar, too. She represents USA in 100metres heat.

Sanya Richard-Ross was born in Jamaica and moved to the US as a teenager. She became a US citizen in 2002 by naturalisation.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by akintun: 12:07am On Aug 07, 2012
Nigeria is not d only country dat have her athletes representing other countries. Linford christie and Sanya Richard are athletes dat represented other countries.Majority of these naija athletes would not even win a medal. Christine Ohuruogu and Philip Idowu are exceptions.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by cdamsel(f): 12:20am On Aug 07, 2012
D list is just endless.omo c hw GB take all our country pple finish.i don't blame dem sports in nigeria is dead.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by strangest(m): 12:21am On Aug 07, 2012
I think the question that needs to be asked is how many non nigerians are representing Nigeria? Haha let me guess none, Giant of Africa, I hail o

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Goldieluks: 12:29am On Aug 07, 2012
Instead of the Nigerian government to invest some millions of naira on sports, they prefer to invest Nigerian money on their personal foriegn bank accounts, send their children abroad to acquire sound education, and fly themselves abroad for holidays and expensive shopping. Greedy, selfish and insane leaders.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by omartins(m): 12:29am On Aug 07, 2012
What do you people think of Sanya Richard of USA (100m). SANYA is a yoruba name.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 07, 2012
If I were in their shoe, not only would I do the same, I would also change my name to fit-in that nationality. I felt for Francis Obiekwelu in particular.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by yamakuza: 12:35am On Aug 07, 2012
akintun: Nigeria is not d only country dat have her athletes representing other countries. Linford christie and Sanya Richard are athletes dat represented other countries.Majority of these naija athletes would not even win a medal. Christine Ohuruogu and Philip Idowu are exceptions.

thank you!

So even if we had all of them in our contingent, we would only be 2 Gold medals better, tops?
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by chic2pimp(m): 1:05am On Aug 07, 2012
publisher: [size=15pt]Can we also take time out to celebrate other Nigerians that were born and bred abroad but still decided to represent Naija to the fullest.

Peter Odewinge
Victor Anichebe
Victor Moses
Jonathan Akinyemi
Abeg,if una know any forward their names jare.
These dudes were not and probably are never going to be good enough to represent their country of birth. So let's not kid ourselves here.

publisher: [size=15pt]

Immigration is a way of life,it has nothing to do with how good a country is economically. Most of the Jamaican Athletes doing their country proud were either born,bred,raised or TRAIN in the United States of America. It's a personal decision,some people feel strongly about their heritage,others dont.[/size]

Actually quite a significant number of those Top Jamaican athletes you see on TV doing their country proud were BORN,BRED,RAISED and TRAINED in Jamaica.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by AYBLUES(m): 1:06am On Aug 07, 2012
shymex:

If selling your soul for riches = lucky..

I guess they're lucky...

Do u know wat u're saying? They never sold their souls. Let ur govt take care of the business and the masses and see if things won't work. Even us in USA and all over are ready to come home. But u don't come wen there is suffering and some people are only interested in their pockets. So watch ooo. Warri no dey take last ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lionel Messi, The Second Player To Ever Score 100 Goals In UCL / Super Eagles Resume Training After Yesterday Victory Against South Africa / Lionel Messi Refuses To Return For Barcelona Tests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.