Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria (14527 Views)

Poll: Masters degree or work experience?

Masters degree.: 34% (31 votes)
Work experience.: 65% (59 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate / University Degree Or Handiwork: Which Is Better In Nigeria? / Which Is Actually More Important, Your Degree Or Work Experience? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by Etin(f): 11:02pm On Dec 19, 2007
Give both candidates a project related to their industry and get them to write a project plan. This plan should be a current problem and they should come up with a workable solution. This is one way companies in UK select between high profile canadidates. Look at their people skill, and the personality that would fit in with that of the company.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by nigeriaone: 6:47am On Dec 20, 2007
My brother go for the experience  if you live abroad,  It is only in Nigeria that company look for degree,  abroad it is what your experience can offer the company. If you have all the degree no experience,  Yellow and black (TAXI) is your best choice.  Many Nigerian abroad have alot of degree but no experience. Oyibo only want people with experience,  that why most Nigerian return home after they finish school over here. because they can't find find a job here , since they lack experience.

Look while I work in Nigeria, in the same company.I got paid more money than people who had higher degree in that Nigeria company because I was more valiable than them to the company.
Look let me give you an example,  let say I join transcorp today,  I have a background in telecommunication,  I would not accept any pay less than Tom Isegohi  the MD who is the boss, because i believe I am more value to the company than him. Look I have a better understanding than the man in Telecommunication. So if the comapny want tomove forward what they would look over here is who is of more value and more use to them. They have to weight, my experience compare with a PHD in telecommunication with no experience ,  PHD is useless  without experience in the field. Transcorp failure is because the company boss Tom Isegohi  lack experience in Telecommunication. And transcorp would continue to fail until they remove him. You can not put "WELL CONNECTED OR MAN KNOW MAN" over experience.

Look Nigeria have had problem because we ask people with PHD to solve our problem. They may be book smart.  People with PHD have no work experience. They just have theory of how thing can work,  there is a different between book knowledge and pratical experience. So when you  appoint a PHD holder to become a minister or head NEPA or transcorp he can not perform well and fail because he lack experience since he was a TEACHER all is life. Look PHD holder are TEACHER. you can not compare someone that teach 18 years olds with someone that have experience in a field.

Nigeria have made a mistake by alway putting Prof in heading ministries. They all fail because they have alway been TEACHER all their lifes. and Prof lack work experience and that is what you need to move a company or ministries  forward. The best prof of electrical engineering with no work place experince can not fix NEPA problem,  It about skill and experience.  Your master degree would only be good if you want to teach. most time it is not needed. Do you want to become a TEACHER. 90% of prof in Nigeria lack work place experience , so how can they solve work place problem. With calculus? or with  almight formular If I am Yar Adua I would appoint people with practical work place experience as minister. Not TEACHERS.

Nigeria companies need to follow the rest of the world. It is what a man can do for your comapny and not degree he or she has.??  PHD with no experience is useless to a company.

http://.com
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by sturvs: 5:39pm On Dec 21, 2007
the thing is most nigerians and many people on this forum thread don't understand that in the IT industry abroad, contract jobs are very normal and most contract jobs are less than a year anyway. im not sure if theres a contract job culture in nigeria yet as most jobs are full time. so don't hold 5 jobs in 4 years against candidate B. in fact, as for me, i might never get a computer related MSc because in 3 years I've learnt more than any degree can teach me through hands-on experience. its just that most times masters degrees from the UK or anywhere abroad look shiny and solid to employers. many people pass through these programs without the needed knowledge. im going to do an MBA soon, but not an MSc. I think im past an MSc already, with 3 years working experience in the US.

this is how many IT contractors in the US/UK work: they could do 2-3 contract jobs a year which could be 3-6 months each and wont work the rest of the year, because contract jobs will pay you higher than a full time salary job and they might have made more than enough money for the entire year.

ABROAD, THE CANDIDATE WITH WORK EXPERIENCE WILL BE MORE MARKETABLE BUT IN NIGERIA, THAT DEGREE MIGHT LOOK SHINY TO EMPLOYERS.

1 Like

Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by okwudili(m): 12:48pm On Dec 22, 2007
well i think its still a matter of who get leg pass for niaja, but lets PRETEND we are in a society where people actually get what they really deserve , then i would have to go with the masters degree and less working experience cos believe it or not a masters degree give u a defined perspective regarding ur job where u want to go and basically acilitiates a faster career growth,

But well this is Naija,,,all na leg, ok most of the time
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by dremoney(m): 2:42am On Dec 26, 2007
laughs,

witout bn sentimental, to get Master's from UK no b yam oo!! u wil work ur ass men, loads of research work ma pple.

on the other hand, experience means exposure to field work which is very important than certificate.

wahala nw b say, learning in UK is lk bn practical on d job.they teach like you r on d job, litu wil u need to learn from ur company afta studies from the UK.

A UK graduate is more exposed and updated. A Uk graduate understands d idea of being creative logically. A Uk graduate can possibly take charge of any transaction (no matter d volume) due to d level of exposure.

Physchologically/Physically, a UK graduate should be more sound(no disrespect intended o).

WHO DO WE NOW CHOOSE?
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by dremoney(m): 2:54am On Dec 26, 2007
nigeriaone:

My brother go for the experience if you live abroad, It is only in Nigeria that company look for degree, abroad it is what your experience can offer the company. If you have all the degree no experience, Yellow and black (TAXI) is your best choice. Many Nigerian abroad have alot of degree but no experience. Oyibo only want people with experience, that why most Nigerian return home after they finish school over here. because they can't find find a job here , since they lack experience.

Look while I work in Nigeria, in the same company.I got paid more money than people who had higher degree in that Nigeria company because I was more valiable than them to the company.
Look let me give you an example, let say I join transcorp today, I have a background in telecommunication, I would not accept any pay less than Tom Isegohi the MD who is the boss, because i believe I am more value to the company than him. Look I have a better understanding than the man in Telecommunication. So if the comapny want tomove forward what they would look over here is who is of more value and more use to them. They have to weight, my experience compare with a PHD in telecommunication with no experience , PHD is useless without experience in the field. Transcorp failure is because the company boss Tom Isegohi lack experience in Telecommunication. And transcorp would continue to fail until they remove him. You can not put "WELL CONNECTED OR MAN KNOW MAN" over experience.

Look Nigeria have had problem because we ask people with PHD to solve our problem. They may be book smart. People with PHD have no work experience. They just have theory of how thing can work, there is a different between book knowledge and pratical experience. So when you appoint a PHD holder to become a minister or head NEPA or transcorp he can not perform well and fail because he lack experience since he was a TEACHER all is life. Look PHD holder are TEACHER. you can not compare someone that teach 18 years olds with someone that have experience in a field.

Nigeria have made a mistake by alway putting Prof in heading ministries. They all fail because they have alway been TEACHER all their lifes. and Prof lack work experience and that is what you need to move a company or ministries forward. The best prof of electrical engineering with no work place experince can not fix NEPA problem, It about skill and experience. Your master degree would only be good if you want to teach. most time it is not needed. Do you want to become a TEACHER. 90% of prof in Nigeria lack work place experience , so how can they solve work place problem. With calculus? or with almight formular If I am Yar Adua I would appoint people with practical work place experience as minister. Not TEACHERS.

Nigeria companies need to follow the rest of the world. It is what a man can do for your comapny and not degree he or she has.?? PHD with no experience is useless to a company.

http://.com

u jst dey yarn dust egbon yii, wat u mean by earning more than the CEO? U DEY CRAZE?

Moreover,experience wuld b more attractive here in Uk coz d country is fully developed.Everything works perfectly, They have the professionals to handle things, Nigerian professionals here are being trained by them so wetin u dey talk,

Nigeria will respect sm1 with certificates from here coz they kw u are well grounded, Nigeria's still a developing Nation so pple 4rm abroad will continually be appreciated coz of d exposure they r bringing into d country.(no b small tin nw). A UK graduate see things from different angles. The level of reasoning go dey very high, Ability to turn a local firm to a Global company dey coz of the exposure,

Wats d value of ur experience if u dnt av d potential of exposing ur organisation to the larger world?

abeg kip quiet dere!!!!!
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by Don1DeMaco: 7:38am On Dec 26, 2007
make i try talk something, who get sense pass between the two candidates, not degree or experience
them no go do interview, if candidate 1 impresses more than the other guy he gets the job and vice versa
but if them both get the same sense and both impress (i.e. they both show almost and equal level of knowledge about the field) and im to make a choice then u look at the nature of the job, are u a service provider like servicing clients if the job is more practical oriented then cand 2 cos dats all he has been doing not so? but if its about attending meetings trying to impress clients and stuffs like dat and a little bit of practical then cand 1 takes the lead, if its a top level position in the firm cand 1 will still get the job, the key work is they both have the same level of knowledge about the subject matter/ job and cand 1 with dat knowledge also has a masters degree, but as naija if i no wan pay them correct na the B.Sc guy biko, cos i ll pay him less compared to the other guy, might not sound fair but dats the reality of life,
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by sholashola: 11:46am On Dec 26, 2007
It depends on the type of work. If the job requires practicality then candidate B will fare better. HE has actually been there
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by joobreel(m): 8:22am On Dec 28, 2007
abeg, can anyone in HR of well a grounded company enlighten me on this subject matter. for graduates of nigeria universities, is work experience preffered to master's degree in a nigeria university. i am in a dilema cos i just finished this december and i dont know what choice to make.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by jejeloye(m): 2:19pm On Jan 02, 2008
i think guy option B stands more chance becos of the years of exp. but if they r both opportuned to be in the same company, guy option A will earn more and be on a higher level than guy option B
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by Elgaxton(m): 2:31pm On Jan 03, 2008
5 different contracted companies should be it!

Masters is different from experience itself cool
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by DisGuy: 8:20pm On Jan 03, 2008
I'll hire them both wink

lets see what the HRM proffessionals have to say
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by Kabidoye(m): 9:18am On Jan 04, 2008
well. i think candidate A is better cos he has more expertise. there is knowledge in skul. ma opinion of course.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by lelele: 5:03pm On Jan 07, 2008
u will have 2 konsidar d breeding ( i.e wat skools hav dey atended) the organisations dey hav woked 4, is it kompatible wit yr kompany's structure, their strengths & wiknesses, wat do u want in a kanditate. Well all of dis mite not count in a naija kompany because, its all about one kanditate outdoin the other, but if u ar considerin a multi-national org, den wat u hav 2 offer koms first.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by tinamic(f): 3:19pm On Jan 08, 2008
Except a company has a good package for her employee, it's not fun working for a company for 4yrs but all the same most times this thing no dey work for Naija. whether experience or no experience, omo, man know man still dey exist. anyway goodluck to Mr. A and B. i rest my case.lipsrsealed
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by jimmyjam: 3:25am On Apr 12, 2008
in nigeria the use and importance of education, training and experience where not fully explained to us by the british when they came to nigeria until most recently.

1 certification and technical schools and polytechnics give your direct hands on capabilities to work for emplyers or to go into working for yourself

2 degrees give you the ability to do research and to more effectively manage the money and resources in a particular area.

3 in short you are suppose to first get certified before you get a degree

4 expereince is something you are to be getting from day one meaning if your parents where pharmacists and you used to follow them to work and you learned a few things from them you are as good having some experience!

5 its best to combine all these experience, education and certification together

6 another thing you will need is mentorship i.e someone in the same career who is senior to you who can guide, support, teach you, be your god father etc

7 almost everywhere in the world now certification, license, chartered status are what governent and companies are requiring from lawers, doctors, IT/telecom, bankers,accountants, project management etc

however ive noticed that the richest of all dont have any of these things but experience. e.g dangote, bill gates, john d rockerfeller etc
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by kittykat(f): 8:54pm On Apr 15, 2008
I belive candidate B rules.In Nigeria,years of experience matters a great deal.Masters is an added advantage.If starting a career and you have a masters degree without workin experience,you are as good as a starter.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by jimmyjam: 11:21pm On Apr 15, 2008
I agree kitty but a lot of people dont understand this until they make the mistake and then learn the hardway or they can learn from the mistake of others.

oh yes and another demension is the God factor without which all efforts are futile, so he should always be remembered!
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 1:47pm On Apr 06, 2009
Candidate B any day. IN fact, Candidate B will command significantly more salary than A. The talk about 4 years experience in 5
Masters Degree is not particularly as relevant and valuable in most industries, as hands-on experience. Not only in Nigeria.
The surge in worldwide MBA demand is primarily driven by the financial sector. Now that that sector is on its way south, that demand might change over time.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Apr 06, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Candidate B any day. IN fact, Candidate B will command significantly more salary than A. The talk about 4 years experience in 5
Masters Degree is not particularly as relevant and valuable in most industries, as hands-on experience. Not only in Nigeria.
The surge in worldwide MBA demand is primarily driven by the financial sector. Now that that sector is on its way south, that demand might change over time. 

especially when you consider the fact that the mess was cause by the MBA holders in the first place

for a pure entry level position, you can hire candidiate A, but if you have things that need to be done as soon as your hire steps through the door, candidiate B is your guy.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by ngegy: 11:10am On May 14, 2009
I think it depends on the company. An ambitious company with a solid R&D department will want well educated people with masters and a lot of PhDs to join them.  A first degree with 20 years of experience will rarely lead to the development of new products that will transform an industry. I understand ofcorse that Nigerian companies will probably be less interested in a candidate well rooted in research. There are different objectives for different degrees, a Bsc especially in engineering allows you to understand the applications and limitations of existing technologies, it is not intended to give you the intellectual rigor and confidence needed to criticise and improve or invent new ones. Nigeria will continue to use technologies developed outside it borders so long as we continue to think that advanced degrees are a waste of time. Most big companies like HP, Google, Siemens have research agreement with the top universities and have joint patents for the various discoveries made at those departments.

I think the the first candidate should not allow the mind set of the Nigerian employers to discourage him incase he asked this question trying to decide on whether to go on for a masters or not.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by ngegy: 11:23am On May 14, 2009
well, robots will soon start to replace Bsc holders.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by tboy1(m): 1:26pm On May 14, 2009
ngegy:

well, robots will soon start to replace Bsc holders.
wat do u mean?
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by DisGuy: 3:52am On Dec 22, 2010
Bumper
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:44am On Dec 22, 2010
Work experience still trumps Masters.
It appears even that entry positions are greatly reduced in Nigeria since the recession.
Re: Masters Degree Or Work Experience To Work In Nigeria by medjai(m): 10:50am On Dec 22, 2010
Looks like it's near impossible to get a job now without a foreign degree in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander Needs You To Proffer Solutions Regarding Her Career Issues / What Certifications Should I Enrol For As A Fresh Chemical Engineering Grad / LPPC Shortlists 130 Lawyers For Award Of SAN Rank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.