Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,073 members, 7,835,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria (3964 Views)

Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria / Fundamentals Of Upstream Oil & Gas Operations And Business (training) / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by deenee: 2:07pm On Aug 10, 2012
I think that we are all missing the point. Nobody is saying that the poster should not follow his dreams and passion. We are simply saying that he should create a realistic balance between his passion and following the crowd. Believe me, I am talking from experience.

No doubt, what he wants to do is quite good but the truth is- this pursuing one's passion comes with a lot of sacrifices and my extant interaction with a lot indicate that they are not ready to tow the path of sacrifice but would prefer a short cut which is what most Nigerian youth want (apologies for generalizing)

Take a look at the late Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and even music moguls like Kanye West and Jay Z. They all paid for in full and sacrificed a lot to follow their passion which of course is yielding results for them. We all see the glory and not the pain.

Certain questions are put forward- thus if there is no scholarship, will he still embark on the course of study in Germany? If the highly anticipated job offer does not see the light of the day, will he still be able to be of service to humanity?

Realistically, there are people who don't work or have affiliations with any of the donor firms yet they command more respect and influence than the whole of the agencies combined. I just hope I am making some sense here!

2 Likes

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 8:53pm On Aug 10, 2012
deenee: @ poster, Hopefully, the decisions you take might or might not pan out depending on the prevailing circumstances on ground. One common mistake we all make is to apply generalizing assumptions to our individual and respective scenarios. Issues should be treated on a case by case basis and not as we address them here.

Additionally,I have noticed your outright rejection of certain opinions and immediate praise and overriding acceptance for others and this suggests to me that you seem to have your mind made and only require further conviction to back up your desired thought of action.

3 years in O and G is still entry level in my view and switching to developmental studies is a 360 degree career change that could spell suicide for you if not properly planned and risks mitigated against. A few questions for you- how many languages do you speak?, how many published papers have you written?,how many seminars and workshops have you attended re the course you want to pursue? If your answer to the above set of questions is NO, then you might end up being just a 'foot soldier' or a number in UN/EU if eventually your expectation pans out or worse still unemployed at the end of the program.

Another question is would you have embarked on this course of study if there was no scholarship incentive tied to it? Would have spent your own funds?
If no then you need to have a rethink!

More so, is there an "assured guarantee" that you will get your desired job once you are done or have you based your assurance on some random career assessment poll quoting figures that cannot be validated?

I might sound harsh, but I have the best of all intentions and don't want you to go along with this mentality of "group think" wherein there is harmonious acceptance to your plans without critically considering the downsides. As one poster rightly mentioned, being an adult and also broke at the same time is not a funny thing at all. You will be amazed how quickly you will deplete your savings if there is no source to replace them.

What if you don't get the UN/EU job? What are your plans after this? If you cannot provide sincere answers to the questions above then I will suggest that you stick to your job for now till you are able do. Success is not all about making money or impact, Success first and foremost is about passion. The other factors will automatically align once your have laid a strong foundation for your self!

Ironically, life in its entirety is a 'zero sum game' so your exit from the O and G upstream sector will surely create space for another person to fulfill their life long ambition of making "Oyel" money as a lot on this domain refer to it!

All the best!

Honestly, I appreciate all the advice am getting here. Thanks guys for taking out time to respond to my thread.
I'll try provide as many answers as possible, just so I can get more advice.
Okay, my present job pays a lot, but the truth is there's a lot of need to conform to certain "unnerving" company standards that might very well prevent you from expressing yourself. Don't get me wrong, it could be interesting. But then it could as well be routine and dogmatic.
I also agree with you on the fact that it's possible I'm unable to find a job after completing this masters. I should also look at the possibility. I'll be hurting myself if I don't. If it wasn't a scholarship, I might not have gone for it. But it doesn't remove from the fact that the course offering attracts me, particularly because it has mathematical research elements in it and is oriented towards development. In addition to that, it's a prestigious fellowship with a network of rather renowned alumni worldwide. That makes it more attractive to me. Looking at it, the opportunities that might follow may promise to be less dogmatic than my present occupation.
On your questions: I speak three languages, including French and German. I do not have any published papers, but am greatly desirous of having some (including patents). And I have attended just a handful of seminars related to this subject.
I can't see any guarantee of getting a job with those agencies I listed. But then, the alternative plan would be to get a PhD and anything can follow from there. I know with a PhD my chances are still good in these organisations. SO, am pretty much open to all the possibilities that can result from here.
The truth remains though, that I'm still in doubt about what the future can hold and am naturally skeptical about dropping this seemingly assured future for an uncertain one.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 8:55pm On Aug 10, 2012
Chylo: Lots of people are so shortsighted, they see things only from now. In the future, maybe after 20-30 years, the difference will begin to emerge between people who followed their passion, and those who simply followed money.

IMHO, now is the time to pay the sacrifice for tomorrow. Get the PhD as you have said and eventually, u'll end up with a more fulfilled career.

NB: I was the one who posted about the internship stuff from manchester.

Chylo, thanks. How's the internship going now?
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by yemmyma: 9:19pm On Aug 10, 2012
eNKe!:

Honestly, I appreciate all the advice am getting here. Thanks guys for taking out time to respond to my thread.
I'll try provide as many answers as possible, just so I can get more advice.
Okay, my present job pays a lot, but the truth is there's a lot of need to conform to certain "unnerving" company standards that might very well prevent you from expressing yourself. Don't get me wrong, it could be interesting. But then it could as well be routine and dogmatic.
I also agree with you on the fact that it's possible I'm unable to find a job after completing this masters. I should also look at the possibility. I'll be hurting myself if I don't. If it wasn't a scholarship, I might not have gone for it. But it doesn't remove from the fact that the course offering attracts me, particularly because it has mathematical research elements in it and is oriented towards development. In addition to that, it's a prestigious fellowship with a network of rather renowned alumni worldwide. That makes it more attractive to me. Looking at it, the opportunities that might follow may promise to be less dogmatic than my present occupation.
On your questions: I speak three languages, including French and German. I do not have any published papers, but am greatly desirous of having some (including patents). And I have attended just a handful of seminars related to this subject.
I can't see any guarantee of getting a job with those agencies I listed. But then, the alternative plan would be to get a PhD and anything can follow from there. I know with a PhD my chances are still good in these organisations. SO, am pretty much open to all the possibilities that can result from here.
The truth remains though, that I'm still in doubt about what the future can hold and am naturally skeptical about dropping this seemingly assured future for an uncertain one.

We all come across these types of 'crossroads'. In fact i can relate to your situation right now. And like i said earlier, you seem smart and i am sure you will do good after your studies..

1. Now you speak German, French and English. That is the real benchmark for these types of jobs where competition for even internship position can be fierce.

2. Germany definitely needs you. Germany is the only country that is seriously searching for foreign workers in Europe. Why i asked you earlier if your studies related to the masters programme is because, in Germany anything engineering will land you job in a dash. But developmental studies? Speaking the language puts you in a very good position for such position as well.

3. You have 18months to look for a job after your studies in Germany, which is pretty much enough for you i guess.

4. Germany, the number one investment destination for American companies in Europe.

5. Okwui Enwezor is the Director of Germany's oldest and most prestigous museum in Munich. If he can get such coveted position why not you with the determination and focus you are showing already? http://www.africanheritagemagazine.de/?p=429

6. You have a full scholarship with nothing to worry about?

7. You have work experience

If i were you, i will go for the masters. But as for my principle, i have learnt a long time ago not to put all my eggs in one basket. I will work towards a PhD in a field of interest, see if i can get a job in Nigeria immediately after graduation(if a job is not forthcoming in Germany on time), Just retire...lol

Note: Most of these organizations you are interested in are based in Vienna, Austria. German is also the language there.

All the best

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 10, 2012
I haven't even heard about Okwui Enwezor, but I'll check him up. Am not surprised. I know a couple of Nigerians (or Africans) who are also successful in Germany. Are you based in Europe? Based on the answers you provided about Germany, I'm supposing that you are.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by yemmyma: 10:07pm On Aug 10, 2012
sauer: Thanks Yemmy,
I haven't even heard about Okwui Enwezor, but I'll check him up. Am not surprised. I know a couple of Nigerians (or Africans) who are also successful in Germany. Are you based in Europe? Based on the answers you provided about Germany, I'm supposing that you are.
yup
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by Chylo(m): 10:41pm On Aug 10, 2012
eNKe!:

Chylo, thanks. How's the internship going now?

Aven't started yet, will soon. Cheers
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 12:08am On Aug 11, 2012
yamakuza:

are you eNKe! ?

Enke! Is enke! That's an impostor. Thanks everyone nevertheless for the answers. I appreciate them. Am gonna take my time to make my decision. Chylo, if you'd like to talk offline, i'd appreciate. There might be a couple of things to talk about. And i might want to also ask you a couple of questions.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:17am On Aug 11, 2012
angry
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by sisieko2001: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
violent:

Bro, have you ever been broke in your adult life? I would advise you experience being broke before considering what your position is on this specific statement.

This statement is very true. Those places are nice if you are looking for somewhere to sit your bum down till retirement. Yes, it makes you think somewhere in your mind that "you are giving something to humanity"...but in reality, and considering the enormous amounts of bureaucracy/red tapes before simple projects get approved, you are merely another pawn in a game played by selfish politicians. If you are truly looking to contribute to humanity, get a machine gun and head down to the house of assembly.

How difficult?: VERY difficult!...much more difficult if you study in a non English speaking country....extremely difficult if the country is in Europe where unemployment figures keep reaching new highs.

Scholarship: Yes, your scholarship will mitigate a lot issues commonly encountered by most people. Fees, accommodation and living costs being paid for?..You are kidding!..you must be bloody kidding!!

Possibilities of making a career: Very Possible!!!...Just tough!...It may be easier to for three camels to go through the eye of a needle at once.

People are motivated by different factors. I think for me, I'm a bit more motivated by money than the average bloke and naturally, i have always tend to hold on to the belief that more money is better than less. For one, it makes my life easier.Perhaps it isn't the same for you. Then i see why you must be so frustrated to find yourself in an industry that keeps doling out quids in a way that probably makes your stomach churn.

There's an easy solution to this, however, why not apply for jobs at state primary schools? Trust me when i say you won't have to worry for a bit about being overpaid, plus you get the added benefit of making other people's lives better like you've always wanted.

well said.

bravo !
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by asemota2012: 2:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
My guy pls stick to your job,even if you have 99% assurance of getting a job with those international agencies,the people you have there as your hopes are human beings that can fail you,it is only God who does not fail.
Where you are looking at is not as you are seeing it,where one has never ever been to before is where you called abroad.I have been there and I saw it all,there are many first class degree holders with experiences that even stands better chance than you but can't even find their way in to those organization ,besides many of our guys that are better qualified for this your job are there rigth now that are even eying this your job from there.
So hold this your job and be wise.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ipmp Vs Nim / Life Of A Banker / Virtual Training on CISSP, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CCSP, CEH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.