Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:43 AM

Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? (2894 Views)

INEC Weighs Its Options On Kogi, Lawyers Disagree:thisday / Jonathan, Buhari Disagree On 2011 Post-poll Crisis, Sign Pact / If Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt, How Come.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Omolulu(m): 8:08pm On Dec 19, 2007
well my guess is that Nigerians just blend to the trend of the moment, if there's a change, Nigerians will surely blend
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 19, 2007
@ Depilot
We can't keep on calling other countries in reference when the issue of corruption in Nigeria is in question. That same attitude we use in pointing to politicians , is the same attitude we use to point fingers at other nations just to condone our actions.

For corruption to be history, we have to be prepared to die. If we really want a change we should be prepared to die for this noble cause, but who in Nigeria wants to die or is ready to make sacrifices? During one of the numerous fuel price hikes we had during Obasanjo regime, the labour union called for a strike and protest, market women were against it with the usual "Wetin my children go chop for that day?" Well we might look at it as - "Oh what a pity on the market women." To me that's rubbish. If the mindset of a Nigerian is ready for a change these market women that may even be looking for money to pay for their children's school fees in a dilapidated public school while the government have their children studying abroad, would march to Aso rock and demand for a change.

EloSela:

I agree with your assessment and I still conclude that this is the reason why they are inherently corrupt because of all you have mentioned. Maybe we are getting our definition of 'inherently' mixed up.

I do agree that the media could have more of a positive impact on the masses if they were allowed but would the government be for that? It seems that when some want to positive things in Nigeria they are always blocked somewhere by someone who wants their 'benefit' first.
Elosela as I wrote in my above post, one has to make sacrifices and be prepared to die for what one believes in. If we cannot tackle Nigeria as a do or die affair then we are wasting our time. If people like Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King gave up on their cause because the government didn't listen to them, do you think respect would be given to them? Try, Try again is the quote I leave for you.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Seun(m): 8:47pm On Dec 19, 2007
For corruption to be history, we have to be prepared to die.
How so?
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by oldie(m): 9:03pm On Dec 19, 2007
stillwater:

If people like Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King gave up on their cause because the government didn't listen to them, do you think respect would be given to them? Try, Try again is the quote I leave for you.

Mandela didnt do it by dying. He is still alive grin
We can do it and still live
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 19, 2007
Seun:

How so?

To put it explicitly so that you can understand, one has to be prepared not to run away when the political theives start looking for your head to behead, or when you start receiving letters threatening your life.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Dec 19, 2007
oldie:

Mandela didnt do it by dying. He is still alive grin
We can do it and still live
But he went to jail for 20yrs, Oldie are you ready to go to jail for 20yrs where they would serve you watery beans? cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Dec 19, 2007
stillwater:

To put it explicitly so that you can understand, one has to be prepared not to run away when the political theives start looking for your head to behead, or when you start receiving letters threatening your life.

I happen to be of the same mind. Nigerians have to be willing to die to make sure that the next generation does not continue to experience and live with the current state of things in the country.

@Oldie, to be willing to die does not mean one has to become violent or kill one self to get one's way. To be willing to die, one has to stand firm on what one believes and be willing to accept whatever consequence of that decision. Mandela, is not an example I would use since I think he was a victim of circumstance. But I would point to persons like Ghandi. Ghandi for his belief was willing to die to be heard. The fast he went on was one that I believe he was ready to die from to make sure he was heard. I will use the American war with the british for another example. Many americans lost their lives back then so that those who live in the country today can have the freedom that they have from the British. I am sure many of them would have loved for the british to cave easy but that was not the case and so many had to meet their end on the battle field.

Nigerians have not really had to fight for anything. I mean independence we got with not much sacrifice and since then we have continually played the WHINE AND  MOAN game, claiming the colonialists are the reasons why some of us are in the silly situation we find self when over 90% of Nigerians who live today where not even alive back when we were still under the colonial masters. I agree, Nigerians need to be willing to fight for their right and evidently accept that some might have to die to get what they want and deserve.

Even prisoners in guantanomo knew that they could get the world's attention by rebelling. The Monks in Burma realized that in order to get their message across they would need to be willing to die for what they believed in. Now the world is listening and waiting.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 19, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I happen to be of the same mind. Nigerians have to be willing to die to make sure that the next generation does not continue to experience and live with the current state of things in the country.

@Oldie, to be willing to die does not mean one has to become violent or kill one self to get one's way. To be willing to die, one has to stand firm on what one believes and be willing to accept whatever consequence of that decision. Mandela, is not an example I would use since I think he was a victim of circumstance. But I would point to persons like Ghandi. Ghandi for his belief was willing to die to be heard. The fast he went on was one that I believe he was ready to die from to make sure he was heard. I will use the American war with the british for another example. Many americans lost their lives back then so that those who live in the country today can have the freedom that they have from the British. I am sure many of them would have loved for the british to cave easy but that was not the case and so many had to meet their end on the battle field.

Nigerians have not really had to fight for anything. I mean independence we got with not much sacrifice and since then we have continually played the WHINE AND  MOAN game, claiming the colonialists are the reasons why some of us are in the silly situation we find self when over 90% of Nigerians who live today where not even alive back when we were still under the colonial masters. I agree, Nigerians need to be willing to fight for their right and evidently accept that some might have to die to get what they want and deserve.

Even prisoners in guantanomo knew that they could get the world's attention by rebelling. The Monks in Burma realized that in order to get their message across they would need to be willing to die for what they believed in. Now the world is listening and waiting.

You helped me frame my words much better.  smiley smiley I only used Mandela because he had the attitude of someone that was prepared to die for what he stood for.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by BigB11(m): 9:34pm On Dec 19, 2007
I am confident to say this is the solution to corruption in Nigeria.

Question was: what would you do to solve corruption problem if you were the president of Nigeria

This is simple!
First, I will not get myself involved in any selective or vindictive activities under every circumstance. I will be focused, determined, dedicated and very firmed. I will touch the lives of the very poor Nigerians, I will reshape and solidify the image and pride of Nigeria. My concentration on empowering the children, the future will be incompressible.

Solution to corruption in Nigeria:

I will put together a group of 50 independent delegates from everywhere in Nigeria, with substantial clearances. Their job is to identify each and every government official that stole from 1980 through 2007.
For a successful outcome, names of these individuals will be made confidential. How much each stole will also be determined.

Each individual will be privately contacted; based on how much individual stole, money to be returned back to Nigeria Federal Government will be determined. All identified corrupt individuals have an option to return specified amount of money with absolutely no question or face uncompromising punishment.
Deadline to return this specified amount of money will also be specified.

After the expiration of the deadline, all individual that cooperated will be pardoned immediately by the Federal Government; while the names of the rest that refused to cooperate will be revealed to the public and they will also be severely punished (eg. 20 years in federal prison and all their accumulated properties will be confiscated by the Federal Government).

Finally, our Constitution will be reviewed and revised.
From Oct 30, 2008, any individual caught engaging in any corruption activities (regardless of the scale) will be executed at his or her home town.

I will also announce vigorously to the entire country that scapegoat is desperately needed.
Guys: That will be the end of corruption in Nigeria; and new Nigeria will be born in a very short period.
Then, we will all witness the real career dedicated politicians, while the business politicians/ business police men will dissolve one at a time

With love, Big B1
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Kobojunkie: 9:38pm On Dec 19, 2007
Big B1:

I am confident to say this is the solution to corruption in Nigeria.

Question was: what would you do to solve corruption problem if you were the president of Nigeria

But the world is fighting for a ban on executions !!! embarassed LMAO!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by BigB11(m): 9:48pm On Dec 19, 2007
In few weeks another criminal will be executed in Texas.
I believe if you steal once in some parts of Saudi Arabia you will lose one hand and if you steal for the second time, my man, you will be asking folks to assist you whenever you need to use the rest room (because the other hand will also be gone).

If execution is the answer, I say bring it on.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by BigB11(m): 10:00pm On Dec 19, 2007
Because of the enormous number of corrupt top government officials (past and current), it will be a waste of time fighting corruption the way EFCC is currently operating or fighting the war.
Too many are too corrupt for too long. Let us stop deceiving ourselves and develop a better strategy to completely ratify corruption in Nigeria and also at the same time lay a solid foundation for the future generation.

I am confident that my recommendation will kill corruption forever and ever in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by BigB11(m): 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2007
And something tells me that this recommendation will be adopted very soon.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Kobojunkie: 10:03pm On Dec 19, 2007
Big B1:

Because of the enormous number of corrupt top government officials (past and current), it will be a waste of time fighting corruption the way EFCC is currently operating or fighting the war.
Too many are too corrupt for too long. Let us stop deceiving ourselves and develop a better strategy to completely ratify corruption in Nigeria and also at the same time lay a solid foundation for the future generation.

I am confident that my recommendation will kill corruption forever and ever in Nigeria.

I actually agree. I do believe we need to go back to fighting corruption the best way. Maximum punishment needs to be served in all cases, regardless of who is involved. And I do believe those who have been involved over the many years in that country need to be made the example.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by BigB11(m): 10:19pm On Dec 19, 2007
Guys, just chill and allow time to tell.

They can go ahead and arrest all the governors and the kings if they want; this will never, never solve anything, but will only educate the rest to be careful and implement a better strategy to steal more money.

I am very confident that my recommendation will give birth to a new nation, a new Nigeria in a very short period.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by subice(m): 10:44pm On Dec 19, 2007
In my opinion, Nigeria needs two things to minimize corruption. In the short term, let there be adequate, stable and constant electrical supply. It's not magic and I believe any serious government can achieve that in two or three years maximum. When people can focus on making money due to the facilities available, they would have less time to focus on corrupt practices. The economy would improve and we would be able to pay our police officers better and that would also reduce the proportion of those that are corrupt.
Long term, the educational system needs a overhaul and major investment. Measures have to be put in place to make sure that all kids (realistically a target, say 80% or so) go through the educational system up until at least O-Level. There should be compulsory subjects throught the stages that involve anti-corruption teachings and the educational system should be such that by the time a student leaves secondary school, he or she is adequately equipped (computer literate, good English etc.).
If these two are done,along with the expected development in other areas of the country and economy, Nigeria in say 10 or 15 years time would be the place to be.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by BigB11(m): 11:05pm On Dec 19, 2007
In my opinion, Nigeria needs two things to minimize corruption. In the short term, let there be adequate, stable and constant electrical supply. It's not magic and I believe any serious government can achieve that in two or three years maximum. When people can focus on making money due to the facilities available, they would have less time to focus on corrupt practices. The economy would improve and we would be able to pay our police officers better and that would also reduce the proportion of those that are corrupt.
Long term, the educational system needs a overhaul and major investment. Measures have to be put in place to make sure that all kids (realistically a target, say 80% or so) go through the educational system up until at least O-Level. There should be compulsory subjects throught the stages that involve anti-corruption teachings and the educational system should be such that by the time a student leaves secondary school, he or she is adequately equipped (computer literate, good English etc.).
If these two are done,along with the expected development in other areas of the country and economy, Nigeria in say 10 or 15 years time would be the place to be.

Nice idea, but it will not work, no disrespect,
Corruption problem in Nigeria is like having cancer.
And you remind me of a doctor that advises a man with cancer to exercise more and drink a lot of juice to cure the disease.

My man, we must attack this disease vigorously and immediately stop it from growing.

There could be a natural day light 24/7 in Nigeria; corruption will still be taking place left and right. You could also give the highest standard education to all students, my man, it wouldn't stop corruption in Nigeria.
Corruption is like a deadly growth that needs to be killed immediately by introducing Iron Hand process, the only language Nigerians clearly understand.

Trust me, it will only take 2 scapegoats and we will all witness the birth of a new nation.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by femo2000(m): 11:12pm On Dec 19, 2007
I vehemently disagree. angry

Some may be corrupt but let me tell U guys what u describe as curuption in Nigeria is the multiplier effect of POVERTY sad

chikena lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by Kobojunkie: 1:26am On Dec 20, 2007
subice:

If we do not already have a system in place that deals with the online fraud problem already existing in that country, as well as putting together policies and laws to govern online use in that country, before you turn up the grid, you will unleash an even greater army of nigerian internet fraudsters on the world. Short term, I say from government we need better policies in place to help curb such issues or we turn on the grid and leave the world to fend for itself while we accept the problem was beyond our control and focus on other things regardless of how things get worse internationally for us when it comes to the Nigerian reputation when it pertains to online fraud, LMAO!!!
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by folem: 2:00am On Dec 20, 2007
inherent adj. (often foll. by in) existing in something as an essential or permanent attribute.  inherence n. inherently adv.

corrupt —adj. 1 dishonest, esp. using bribery. 2 immoral; wicked. 3 (of a text etc.) made unreliable by errors or alterations. —v. make or become corrupt.  corruptible adj. corruptibility n. corruption n. corruptive adj. corruptly adv. corruptness n. [Latin rumpo rupt- break]

I agree with the poster but Nigerians are not significantly different from other nationalities giving the same environment. Bad people are more than Good people but Law enforcement keeps many in line.

The economic recession allied with the lack of efficient law enforcement and enabling infrastructure makes corruption the norm in Nigeria.

Some Nigerian parents help their 9-12 year old's cheat during entrance examinations into High schools.

People of varying ages falsify their ages either because they do not want to retire just yet or they want to play for an age-group sport team or they want to be within the catchment age for prime employment.

Many people view White collar crime as a cunny man way of survival in the harsh economy.
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by gmcln(m): 4:04am On Dec 20, 2007
oldie
What type of answer is this now?
If by 1961 you were old enough to work, then you must be above 60 by now.
And this is the type of answer you give?
Please stay where you are. The new Nigeria does not need this type of answer.
If you were the best, there was no need to bribe anybody to get employed in 1961.
[/b]

Thanks
Re: Nigerians Are Inherently Corrupt--agree Or Disagree? by maxsiollun: 8:34am On Dec 22, 2007
Elosela is headed in the right direction. Western libertarian ideas about corruption in Nigeria being the product of poor education, lack of good infrastructure are simply not true. Nigerians unfortunately only seem to respond to coercive leaders (Murtala, Abacha, ). While I think the Saddam Hussein recommendation is a step too far, I do think Nigeria needs a dark avenger. Nigeria needs a leader who scares the bad guys as much as they scare us.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest / Politicians Are The Same All Over. They Promise To Build A Bridge Even Where The / Acn Governors Declare Position On Subsidy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.