Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,466 members, 7,830,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:57 PM

Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest (2901 Views)

I Believe In PDP, Jonathan, Will Never Join APC – Orubebe / Why I Believe Buhari Plotted And Executed The Bomb Attack On His Own Convoy / Jonathan's Plot To Disunite The Southwest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Ikengawo: 9:03pm On Feb 20, 2011
Through visits, eye witness accounts, and reading, it's clear that development of the average township or village in the southwest lags behind development in the average village or township in the southeast

i don't believe this is because somehow the southeast is 'better' then the southwest, or that any region reached it's point of development on 'purpose'. These are simply the laws of land pricing and economics coming into play, as well as a difference in natural resources and investment potential.

the #1 factor contributing to slower growth in places like Oyo, Ondo, and Osun is the existence of Lagos.

Think about it on simple terms. Why would I invest in any of these places, right next to a burgeoning metropolis of nearly 18 million modern people. Therefore, any yoruba man, or outside investor is a lot more inclined to take his business and attention to Lagos before ever considering Ibadan.

You will always reach the Ibadan market from Lagos business wise, and therefore the Southwest has no comparative advantage against Lagos. It's simply too powerful and promising to compete with and therefore will drain the human resources of it's immediate neighbors.

in the east, there's the luck of the draw in the fact that the region doesn't have 1 ultra powerful city, but instead several moderately promising ones. I won't be a fool investing in Owerri to reach on market and Enugu with my next investment to reach another, but it makes little logical sense to invest in Abeokuta when Lagos is right there and SO much more promising.

Few know that Ibadan had lite roads before London. Ibadan was, before Lagos, easily the most promising city in the either union, but as Lagos grew into what it is today, ibadan became a ghost town of shanties and slums of people that seek most of their resources in Lagos (which has the advantage of once being the capital, and access to the sea)

I believe in the future as land prices in Lagos become too high, the middle class grows, and living in the inner city becomes less sensible, the rest of the Southwest will boom exponentially from the suburban influx of middle class Lagosians flooding into their cities.

For this to happen, transportation is KEY!
human beings always want what the city has to offer without having to live in it because of the chaos and cost.
If they can have what lagos has to offer throw easy transport to Lagos without having to live in Lagos, you will see surrounding states boom.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Ikengawo: 9:26pm On Feb 20, 2011
idk the formal name in economic theory but i call it the Village-City Postulate.

in the united state, europe, and part of asia, you see that as industrialization came about, people left villages and flooded into cites.

the result as the villages/smalltowns/ and surrounding areas became poorer and poorer, and more and more desolate.

in america entire towns have been totally abandoned that were once burgeoning communities. My dad actually made the mistake of buying property in a small town and as time went the real price of the land sunk further and further as the price of land increased in the nearest city.

Cities sap resources, capital, ideas, people, and investment potential, from their immediate neighbors until the neighbors are totally depleted.
there's also reality to the fact that people in those surrounding areas that still chose to stay migrate to the city to get their goods.

Lagos is actually having this effect on the whole of Nigeria, but more-so in the southwest due to proximity and a lack of comparative advantage in other states (other states are less inadequately equip to support Lagos' standard of living).

on a grand scale the same was done to the North.

in the ancient era, the sahel was the main center of african commerce, hence the raise of several extremely wealthy and powerful states there.
the reason? it had a comparative advantage in location because it was closer the to mediterrainian, the center of global commerce at the time.

thus trade with arabs was key to growth

but as europe rose and began focusing on the african coast (their first regions of access due to the raise in sailing), the coastal cities gained the advantage of being closer to the NEW main center of global commerce (the atlantic ocean)

therefore if you look at a map of west africa, all the great cities are lined up on the coast, and the north was depleted by the growth in the south in all countries.

the south became the 'city' and the north became the 'village'.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by excanny: 11:52pm On Feb 20, 2011
This is close to 3 hours that you put this thread up here, and those Yorubas who use to applaud you wherever you are bashing the Igbos are nowhere to be found. Take for a change that this post is criticizing the Igbos, you'll see how they'll flock in here in excitement.

Ikengawo, I hope you are beginning to get an understanding of how other nigerians think. You seem like a fair-minded person(as most people in your shoe are), while the remaining nigerians live in denial.

It actually baffles me that many Igbos think like you do, feeling that others are open-minded as them. This is exactly my beef with the Igbo race(Nzeogwu, Ironsi, Zik, etc all ring a bell), never knowing how to differentiate friends from enemies.

I just hope you learn a lesson about your utopian Nigeria.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by EzeUche2(m): 11:54pm On Feb 20, 2011
excanny:

This is close to 3 hours that you put this thread up here, and those Yorubas who use to applaud you wherever you are bashing the Igbos are nowhere to be found. Take for a change that this post is criticizing the Igbos, you'll see how they'll flock in here in excitement. 

Ikengawo, I hope you are beginning to get an understanding of how other nigerians think. You seem like a fair-minded person(as most people in your shoe are), while the remaining nigerians live in denial.

It actually baffles me that many Igbos think like you do, feeling that others are open-minded as them. This is exactly my beef with the Igbo race(Nzeogwu, Ironsi, Zik, etc all ring a bell), never knowing how to differentiate friends from enemies.

Agreed. I have a growing respect for [b]Ikengawo [/b]though. At least he stand for something though. Even though we may view it in a different manner, you have to love his passion for a better Nigeria. Even if it is just a mirage.

He raises some good points as well.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Becomrichn: 12:06am On Feb 21, 2011
Ikengawo your assumption are wrong. the reason why the south west lack behind is because.  the population is more. the money from the federal govt of nigeria is small. the ratio per head is small. a state like bayelsa state get N8000 while south west get just N200.

While Ondo state produce more oil than bayelsa state, the federal govt of Nigeria gives bayelsa state more money because Jonathan Goodluck is president.  Even while satellite pictures show otherwise.

Region focus banking is the key to development.  that way , you are borrow people from your region money. and they us it for development. and not spreed the money around to others.

Having your own currency is important.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Missy85(f): 12:23am On Feb 21, 2011
agree with OP. re Lagos sucking the life out of Ibadan & anything within 5-6hrs drive.

I understand in the 70s Ibadan was the largest(most populous?) city in sub-sahara africa. So how has it somehow disappeared off the raidar? As you rightly indicated, Lagos has brought it to its knees.

It's a big problem for d south west, as most of their investments are in Lagos & they are relaxed about it, which is ok.

Just to give u an example,  even in far away s.western states like Ondo & Ekiti, people are relaxed if a relative is based in Lagos. But tell them you are based in Minna or Aba, to them it's as good as being in Mali! They feel sad for you being so 'far away' from home lol. But they dont apply d same yardstick for Lagos.

But this 'lagos is home' thing is in reality a big downer for the other states, who really need to come out of d shadows of Lagos a bit. And there is plenty of potential in some of these states.

I notice for instance that Akure is almost equi-distant from Lagos & Abuja. Benin is just 2hrs down a relatively good motorway (at least on d Ondo side). Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti capital is 25mins from Akure, & it is difficult to enter Ekiti without passing through Akure. Most of the trucks from d north pass thru Akure on their way to Lagos. All of these factors should at least make Akure a fantastic regional/national distribution base with huge warehouses everywhere, & factories. But I dont see any of that.

And some of these politicians parade big qualifications, but can they see d big picture & actively promote/provide an enabling environment in their states?
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Nobody: 12:25am On Feb 21, 2011
excanny:

in what way is this a bashing thread?

the op is simply stating his opinion which he's entitled to, and he did so with an element of civility.

now, if he starts using jungle language and uncouth mannerisms, then that's a different matter. But so far, i personally see nothing offensive about his post.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by excanny: 1:20am On Feb 21, 2011
^^^
As expected, you will never see beyond your nose. Keep enjoying the 'good' life of denial.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Nobody: 1:37am On Feb 21, 2011
I think the cities just outside Lagos need to specialize, each in one or two major economic activities, to give them comparative advantage over Lagos and draw in more people and investors.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by bkbabe97y(m): 2:06am On Feb 21, 2011
excanny:

Take for a change that this post is criticizing the Igbos, you'll see how they'll flock in here in excitement.

So, if this was written about some Ibo land u'd take it as an affront and insult instead of analysis, the op's personal view, or constructive criticism?

Why Nigeria hasnt chased out you and your likes to the easternmost parts of the country is still beyond me. Beast!
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Onlytruth(m): 3:10am On Feb 21, 2011
bk.babe97y:

So, if this was written about some Ibo land u'd take it as an affront and insult instead of analysis, the op's personal view, or constructive criticism?

Why Nigeria hasnt chased out you and your likes to the easternmost parts of the country is still beyond me. Beast!

Em, this is why Nigeria has not chased us out, and will die keeping us than let us go.
Nigeria depends on us and our neighbors oil and gas resources.
My business and import duties also sustain the fraudulent superstructure.   cool

Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Obiagu1(m): 3:23am On Feb 21, 2011
@ OP, it true but many Yorubas don't see it because they don't leave their territory.
By the time they realize it, it'll be too late.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by seanet02: 9:58am On Feb 21, 2011
Show of "SHAME" by my ibo agberos and truck pushers
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 10:08am On Feb 21, 2011
^^^

Take that bust down now before I report you to the mods
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by seanet02: 10:21am On Feb 21, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^

Take that bust down now before I report you to the mods
Otin pa e. So tin mu "IGBO" ni
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 10:33am On Feb 21, 2011
^^^

ABi oro pe aba e ni Ogun state l'oti mold kini yen, awon baba nla temi ni Ife ma ni won mold kini yen

O je lo sora e. Take it off now before I report you. You have no right. Awa oni nkan la n soro
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 10:40am On Feb 21, 2011
Read through a bit of this post on my phone while at the airport. . . going to reread now more carefully and comment. Anyway, phenomenal topic; I've thought about this a bit and am glad you raised the subject.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 10:45am On Feb 21, 2011
@OP
It is ironic that u say Western states lack development, because of Lagos and that smaller towns in  the South East Have better fortune, While this might be true, Ironically the Easterners should be the ones Wailing, not the westerners.
Lagos is and contin ue to be the regional Economic heart of this country and Not only south-Western states are affected by it's huge pull, all Nigerian states are. Arent these so called investments u are talking about still in south-west
If  only u  knew better, then u would candidly ask some of those igbo businessmen to go back to their villages in the east, and stop investing in South Western Lagos.
And how is a South Eastern  village developing faster than a south-western one??
Is a village in Enugu state developing faster than one in Ogun  state??
   Contrary to your opinion though, Lagos state developments are starting to benefit neighbouring South Western state in terms of development and inftrastructure, And it will contin ue to do so, as Lagos becomes more saturated.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 10:49am On Feb 21, 2011
@Onlutruth, If u deem fit, post a million pictures, most of Nigerian Oil and gas is found Off-shore in a ''no-mans land'' environment,
and most of the On-shore {On land} Oil resourses is from the south south AKA Niger Delta region, and not the south East,,
I wouldnt deny u of your joy though, and I might Agree the south East Zone produces some 20 Barrels per day, LMBAO.
Keep decieving yourself!! lipsrsealed
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Afam4eva(m): 10:52am On Feb 21, 2011
For once i agree with Ikengawo. Lagos has overshadowed every other city in the south-west most especially Ibadan. Most people don't know that there a local airport in Ibadan but you never hear much about it because how many airlines will want to fly to Ibadan when there's lagos. Why would i want to live in Ogun state when there's lagos. But in the east i can choose between Enugu, Onitsha, Awka, Aba. Like he said there's sort of an equitable distribution of development unlike in the south-west where most of the development is centered nin Lagos and by extension it's affecting the emergence of other large cities in other parts of Nigeria. Lagos is to Nigeria what London is to the UK.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 10:54am On Feb 21, 2011
^^Thank goodness U said ''Lagos is to Nigeria'' and not ''Lagos is to South West''
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 10:57am On Feb 21, 2011
afam4eva:

For once i agree with Ikengawo. Lagos has overshadowed every other city in the south-west most especially Ibadan. Most people don't know that there a local airport in Ibadan but you never hear much about it because how many airlines will want to fly to Ibadan when there's lagos. Why would i want to live in Ogun state when there's lagos. But in the east i can choose between Enugu, Onitsha, Awka, Aba. Like he said there's sort of an equitable distribution of development unlike in the south-west where most of the development is centered nin Lagos and by extension it's affecting the emergence of other large cities in other parts of Nigeria. Lagos is to Nigeria what London is to the UK.

HAve you ever lived in either Ogun or Ibadan or Osogbo?

I have lived in those places as well as Lagos, and everything you typed up there is nonsense.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 10:57am On Feb 21, 2011
Dont worry, All those Developments like the Lekki Free trade Zone, The Eko atlsntic city, The Lagos Light rail, Malls and skyscrapers, they will all Move positions and distribute themselves equally into the other 5 Geo-political zones of Naija, Isn't it  
Qua qua qua !!! cheesy grin cheesy grin
     cool
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by fstranger3(m): 10:58am On Feb 21, 2011
scholes0:

Dont worry, All those Developments like the Lekki Free trade Zone, The Eko atlsntic city, The Lagos Light rail, Malls and skyscrapers, they will all Move positions and distribute themselves equally into the other 5 Geo-political zones of Naija,  Isn't it  
Qua qua qua !!! cheesy grin cheesy grin
     cool

No mind them

They rarely think before they talk!
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 11:09am On Feb 21, 2011
excanny:

undecided

Na wa o. Look at this guy inserting tribalism into a thread primarily about demography, economics, and migration.

Everything he will want to see through tribal eyes undecided
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 11:11am On Feb 21, 2011
^^ Yeah, Exactly when people fail to notice that a slight hint of the same thing u are complaining about, is there embeded in the Topic sentence,,
Typical!  undecided
Because I dont understand why someone would just wake up any beautiful mornming and decide to make a thread of this nature, without supporting his/her opinions with valuable/credible statistics and sources.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by seanet02: 11:18am On Feb 21, 2011
fstranger3:

^^^

ABi oro pe aba e ni Ogun state l'oti mold kini yen, awon baba nla temi ni Ife  ma ni won mold kini yen

O je lo sora e. Take it off now before I report you. You have no right. Awa oni nkan la n soro
Emi omo Lisabi Agbongbo Akala, omo Ake majo, Ajogberu ma jo gbeko, omo eru nin sini eko kin siniyan, emi omo Sarumi Olowe Aseru bote, You dont play with Lisabi and go scot free. I will deal with you thoroughly
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by seanet02: 11:24am On Feb 21, 2011
eku_bear:

Na wa o. Look at this guy inserting tribalism into a thread primarily about demography, economics, and migration.

Everything he will want to see through tribal eyes undecided
you cant understand boy, this guy is reasoning like a dwarfed bingo. Mu he he
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by scholes0(m): 11:29am On Feb 21, 2011
[QUOTE]you cant understand boy, this guy is reasoning like a dwarfed bingo. Mu he he[/QUOTE]
maa da l'ohun. Won ro wipe won le wa si ibi yii l'ati maa so isokuso t'o ba wu won abi??
     If anyone feels development in their  cities and mid sized towns are faster paced, compared to those of other regions, why are such people still on their path of ''Mass exodus'' to those so called ''Lesser developed places''??
Eleyii ni ko ye mi ninu gbogbo oro.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 12:14pm On Feb 21, 2011
Ikengawo:

Through visits, eye witness accounts, and reading, it's clear that development of the average township or village in the southwest lags behind development in the average village or township in the southeast

i don't believe this is because somehow the southeast is 'better' then the southwest, or that any region reached it's point of development on 'purpose'. These are simply the laws of land pricing and economics coming into play, as well as a difference in natural resources and investment potential.
Hrm, when comparing the SW minus Lagos to the SE. . . well, a couple things immediately jump at me:
1) The SW minus Lagos is a lot larger landwise than the SE. Oyo State alone is about the same size as the 5 SE States; roughly 29k sq km (SE) versus ~81k (SW, including Lagos).
2) Population densities in the SW minus Lagos are lower. Pop density in the SE is 563/sq km. Southwest WITH Lagos State is 348/sq km. W/O Lagos, pop density in the SW drops down to 244. (Note that these #s are from the 2006 census data, which is of questionable reliability.)

Now, what is the impact of pop density on economic productivity? Seems to me that higher pop densities lead to a stronger economy, at least with Nigeria as it currently is.

the #1 factor contributing to slower growth in places like Oyo, Ondo, and Osun is the existence of Lagos.

Think about it on simple terms. Why would I invest in any of these places, right next to a burgeoning metropolis of nearly 18 million modern people. Therefore, any yoruba man, or outside investor is a lot more inclined to take his business and attention to Lagos before ever considering Ibadan.

You will always reach the Ibadan market from Lagos business wise, and therefore the Southwest has no comparative advantage against Lagos. It's simply too powerful and promising to compete with and therefore will drain the human resources of it's immediate neighbors.
Yep, brain drain, essentially. All the talent in the SW (and Nigeria more generally) is being sucked away into Lagos.

With that said, while Lagos has caused Ibadan to lose its preeminent status in Nigeria, from what I know from people on the ground, business in Ibadan is still very good. But if you are a big multi-national, you'll target the Lagos market first (for example).

in the east, there's the luck of the draw in the fact that the region doesn't have 1 ultra powerful city, but instead several moderately promising ones. I won't be a fool investing in Owerri to reach on market and Enugu with my next investment to reach another, but it makes little logical sense to invest in Abeokuta when Lagos is right there and SO much more promising.
Hrm, more it is that population densities are uniformly high there and less variable than in the SW, so most places in the SE are probably suitable for business. SW, not so much. . . too much variance.

I believe in the future as land prices in Lagos become too high, the middle class grows, and living in the inner city becomes less sensible, the rest of the Southwest will boom exponentially from the suburban influx of middle class Lagosians flooding into their cities.
Well, this is already happening. Lots of people have businesses based in Ogun which target the Lagos market. Consider this article for example on Nestle, which opened up a factory in Ogun recently: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-02-18/nestle-nigeria-full-year-profit-climbs-29-as-sales-rise.html

Once power supply is fixed in Nigeria, I wouldn't be surprised if Ogun becomes the pre-eminent manufacturing state in Nigeria. . . just because it is cheaper to get stuff done there than in Lagos.

Now, with all that said. . . do the non-Lagos SW states all suck @ss, especially compared to the SE states?

Let's take a look and see, using the data from the following Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_GDP

As well as the 2006 census data.

I actually don't completely trust these PPP #s btw, but since I don't have any better #s, let's see what it says:

As we can see from the above, Delta, Rivers, Lagos, Edo and Imo seem to be the best states on a GDP/capita basis (I know, seems a bit suspect that Imo is wealthier than Anambra. . . but I don't have any better data.)

How do the SW states minus Lagos do? Well, Oyo and Ogun appear to be the leaders. Ekiti State is the laggard, at only $1200  cry Agreggated over those states, we get a GDP/capita of $2430ish.

In comparison, SE states are at $2246.

Comparing total GDP, we get $45 billion for the SW minus Lagos, 36.7 billion for the SE. Population, we get 18.6 million for the SW minus Lagos, 16.4 million for the SE.

So long story short, the SW minus Lagos doesn't suck (aside from Ekiti, which is performing terribly in comparison to the other Yoruba states.) We certainly are not doing as well as we can and should be doing. Here are the following areas where we can improve:

[list]
[*] If/when electricity comes to Nigeria, we can invest in manufacturing and shift our economy to this.
[*] Improved agricultural productivity.
[*] Better governance.
[*] Improved tax collection, revenue generation.
[*] Continue poaching talented individuals from elsewhere in Nigeria and Africa.
[/list]

But make no mistake. . . the lion's share of the strength of Yorubaland is in Lagos. It is our capital city, and ultimately is the driver of economic progress across all of Yorubaland.
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by Ikengawo: 12:18pm On Feb 21, 2011
lol

i can tell that Rossike and 3 other ppl are the only ones that read my thread (that or they're good at guessing)

1. i didn't bash anyone or anything, i stated simple economic rules and applied them to the nigerian reality
2. the guy that says im being utopian, what are you talking about? show me the 'utopian' ideas in my post, its actually pretty gloomy lol
3. lack of development in the SW has nothing to do with oil. For those of you living in nigeria how many of you are REALLY effected by the oil money your government gets?

government doesn't pay for your school
government doesn't pay for your health
government doesn't pay your salary

everything the average nigerian encounters is usually private owned, we need to stop thinking nigeria is just a government, it's a country.
also delta states are the poorest in the region, and Lagos gets the absolute least from oil revenue(unless my sources are wrong) as far as it's %age of its budget and is doing the best, hence this thread.

you guys need to read before making dramatic assumptions
Re: Why I Believe Growth Is Slower In The Southwest by ekubear1: 12:27pm On Feb 21, 2011
Missy85, you disappeared for a while! We missed your posts, which are usually of high quality.

Missy85:

agree with OP. re Lagos sucking the life out of Ibadan & anything within 5-6hrs drive.

I understand in the 70s Ibadan was the largest(most populous?) city in sub-sahara africa. So how has it somehow disappeared off the raidar? As you rightly indicated, Lagos has brought it to its knees.

It's a big problem for d south west, as most of their investments are in Lagos & they are relaxed about it, which is ok.
I used to think it was a problem, but am not sure it is. Ultimately, it is probably more efficient for people to concentrate in high-density areas and leave rural parts for farming. It sucks for my town since it is rural and kids there are being sucked to Ilesha, Ogbomosho, Ado-Ekiti, Lagos, Abuja, etc. But overall it is probably good for Yorubaland.

Just to give u an example,  even in far away s.western states like Ondo & Ekiti, people are relaxed if a relative is based in Lagos. But tell them you are based in Minna or Aba, to them it's as good as being in Mali! They feel sad for you being so 'far away' from home lol. But they dont apply d same yardstick for Lagos.
Driving distance from Lagos to Ekiti is like 4 hrs? Minna is much, much further away. Aba is also further away I thought. Plus security is a big issue in certain parts of the north, as well as the SE.

But this 'lagos is home' thing is in reality a big downer for the other states, who really need to come out of d shadows of Lagos a bit. And there is plenty of potential in some of these states.
Agreed.

I notice for instance that Akure is almost equi-distant from Lagos & Abuja. Benin is just 2hrs down a relatively good motorway (at least on d Ondo side). Ado Ekiti, the Ekiti capital is 25mins from Akure, & it is difficult to enter Ekiti without passing through Akure. Most of the trucks from d north pass thru Akure on their way to Lagos. All of these factors should at least make Akure a fantastic regional/national distribution base with huge warehouses everywhere, & factories. But I dont see any of that.

And some of these politicians parade big qualifications, but can they see d big picture & actively promote/provide an enabling environment in their states?
Indeed. I want a tolled highway built from Lagos to Abuja. Something like that would supercharge the economies I think of all the involved states. I don't know why these SW governors aren't getting this thing done  undecided

Instead they want to invest in harebrained, crackpot projects. . . very frustrating.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Police Dancing Azonto! / Why Is There So Much HATE ON Linda Ikeji And Goodluck Jonathan ? / Breaking News!!! Bomb Blast In Kano Market(kantin Kwari)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.