Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,026 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Is Nigeria Better Off Split? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Nigeria Better Off Split? (2148 Views)

Ndigbo Won’t Be Better Off Seceding From Nigeria – Ohanaeze Advises MASSOB / You Are Better Off In Benin Republic, Buhari Tells Nigerians Living There / Suggestions To Make Nigeria Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by OneNaira6: 10:38am On Aug 10, 2012
Ki-Katanga:
Can Nigeria settle its tensions or is a peaceful separation the best way forward?

Yes. Unfortunately, if we take alook at Nigeria since it's independence and how the country is gradually going from bad to worse, all region hating and fighting eachother, college graduates turning to criminals or ritualism just because they couldn't find a job once they graduate, separatism groups coming out in all regions of Nigeria, it shouldn't take much to analyze the outcome of Nigeria. I don't forsee Nigeria ever changing nor do I see an improving future for this nation. Sadly, whenever I try to imagine the future of Nigeria, it saddens me to say all I see is another Somalia in the making. Constant killing and fights, just complete lawlessness. The problem with Nigeria is that we are trying so hard to hold onto it and claim "one nation, one people" but going through these whole website and other Nigerian websites, can we actually call ourselves "one nation, one people"?
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:15pm On Aug 10, 2012
Ufeolorun: Funny how people who lack wide spread political coherence and clout keep shouting break up break up.
Oil induced nationalism is a disaster waiting to happen. We have seen in the past what these clanish purveyors are capable of- Warri alone would be how many countries?

Screw oil. Who is even talking about that?

What's "widespread political coherence and clout" (among who) to you anyway? Tony Anenih has clout. Abacha had clout. IBB has clout, etc.

1 Like

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by cheikh: 12:28am On Aug 11, 2012
PhysicsQED
Screw oil. Who is even talking about that?

What's "widespread political coherence and clout" (among who) to you anyway? Tony Anenih has clout. Abacha had clout. IBB has clout, et

@^^ grin grin. That's very colourful. He is definitely an "oil" addict. That's a classic case of "oil-centric" mentality pervasive amongst Nigerians as if Humans have never survived without it. It is sheer laziness and befuddled thinking by those who perhaps have a vested interest in backwardness. Ideally as an African(Black), I'll love a powerful black nation preferably "Nigeria" but somehow I'm beginning to believe that Nigeria as it is now, is inherently weak and unlikely to fit the purpose of its "manifest destiny" as a "potential"
black nation.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by rdokoye: 12:38am On Aug 11, 2012
danjohn:

I said parts of the SE and not all of it. I assume that not all parts of the SE has oil. Notwithstanding, please do not forget that there are millions of Igbos living outside of the SE who have businesses and investments in other regions. Breaking up Nigeria may not automatically mean that a vibrant new country will be established in the SE. Many of these individuals who live outside the SE will probably prefer to have permanent residency status in Lagos/Kaduna etc. and visit Biafra, their home country, only during the Christmas.....

No, most of us will relocate our businesses and move back home.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by cheikh: 5:17pm On Aug 11, 2012
PhysicsQED
If this isn't carried out, Nigeria can still survive, but whether it will thrive and prosper is another matter.

@^^ The above question/doubt is something every so called Nigerian must seriously "Contemplate" on or else we'll continue bumbling and muddling along like a motherless child without direction angry. It is frightening and sad indeed. I am tired of hearing the oft touted "Nigerian Potential" by friends and foes of Nigeria because of our so called "size" and human/economic "resources". I wonder when are we going to get our act together? It is obvious that "chaotic" Nigeria is certainly attractive/profitable/desireable for the "power elite" as it is now.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by KiKatanga: 10:02am On Aug 12, 2012
cheikh: PhysicsQED

@^^ The above question/doubt is something every so called Nigerian must seriously "Contemplate" on or else we'll continue bumbling and muddling along like a motherless child without direction angry. It is frightening and sad indeed. I am tired of hearing the oft touted "Nigerian Potential" by friends and foes of Nigeria because of our so called "size" and human/economic "resources". I wonder when are we going to get our act together? It is obvious that "chaotic" Nigeria is certainly attractive/profitable/desireable for the "power elite" as it is now.

It is of course very unattractive for investors.

Is Ogani to be the first brick to hit the ground as the wall comes tumbling down?
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by ektbear: 10:51am On Aug 12, 2012
Probably so, yes.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by nduchucks: 3:51pm On Aug 12, 2012
Is Nigeria Better Off Split?

Is this a trick question? Oga mi, if Nigeria is split then you no longer have Nigeria. How then would an entity which no longer exists be deemed good, better off, or best? I hope say we never drink kai kai early morning o.

It is too difficult to workout sharing formulas for ports, off shore resources, and other national assets, to make any kind of peaceful split work. So, nwanne OP, your question is hereby rendered INVALID.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by cheikh: 8:55pm On Aug 13, 2012
ndu_chucks
[b]It is too difficult to workout sharing formulas for ports, off shore resources, and other national assets, t[/b]o make any kind of peaceful split work. So, nwanne OP, your question is hereby rendered INVALID.

@^^What's so difficult in determining where ports and off shore resources belong? Why will I want to argue/fight over oil/mineral resources in Lake Chad area with a Kanuri/Rep. of Bornu? It'll be foolhardy and greedy of me to be covetous of something that's far away from my territory and against all "natural" laws and "common" sense. Believe me there will not be any war as some NLs presume/preclude. Who will be fighting who? What will be the war aim? Is it to force or enforce a "marriage" or "union" with an unwilling partner? I think we are being lazy and disingenuous in spreading disinformation/fear. Where are the soldiers, weapons, and etc going to come from to prosecute a full scale war? Nobody has a monopoly of terror if it comes down to it. Seriously, I'll like a thriving, viable and strong Nigeria as a black man but somehow, I doubt it, that I'll ever see that materialise in my life time as things are now angry. It is as if we are purposefully disinterested in "Progress" or a thriving, empowered, free society of black men/women. What are the so called national assets that are so important that solutions cannot be found?
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by comnsense: 11:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
NIGERIA IS BETTER OFF SPLIT - QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRATUM BY MOST OF THE WRITERS ON THIS TOPIC. There is no future in one Nigeria. Nigeria as is, is not a nation but the largest camping site in the world, with every individual, family, tribe and ethnic group pitching their tent and trying to carve a future out of the chaos. We need nations not political failed unions.

2 Likes

Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Dede1(m): 2:27am On Aug 17, 2012
The real estate known as Nigeria will not see a fundamental development without splitting. It is unfortunate most Nigerians consider the building of structures with concrete and iron bars as development. The rigid cultural (religion and tradition) differences among Nigerians will not allow for the free flow of processes, procedures and policies.

There are no bases for unity and camaraderie within present configuration of Nigeria hence lack of patriotic lust for the nation. Recenttly, few Nigerians met their untimely death on the street of New York City yet the representative of Nigerian government in the city remained nonchalant clearly induced by religion. One wonders the essence of the Nigerian government and the need to have a representative in New York.

The staffs of USA’s embassy will raise hell if a mere vacationer of USA citizen is molested onboard a foreign airliner.
Re: Is Nigeria Better Off Split? by Epalos: 5:00am On Aug 17, 2012
Take your destiny out of Yoruba's hand, fool, may you be minced by a trailer truck,child of a psychopath
Caesar1988: And Nigeria must split come 2015,dats d bottom line...we have had enuf of dis,nw lets face it for real.....D only group ready to have their r d biafrans and d naija deltans......D yorubas r still hiding under their precious carpet called cawordice....always ready to do wat awolowo did in d past........Finally,i would say,d earlier we split,d better for us.....so,pple,stop chanting one nigeria.....Their r plans on ground to islamise naija and u know it can't work....Get dis to ur heads and stop running ur mouths on nairaland.....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Okene Killings: Lawmaker, Top Public Functionaries Arrested / A National Award To T.A Orji Is An Award For Inefficiency / Let’s Break Down This Presidential Election Into Simple Mathematics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.