Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever (4007 Views)

New Upcoming Nigerian Writer - Sade Adeniran / The Next Nigerian Writer Who Should Win The Nobel Prize / Helen Oyeyemi: A new Nigerian writer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by maziigwe(f): 3:41pm On Dec 19, 2007
Greatest Nigerian writer.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by onikoyitop: 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2008
The greatest Nigerian writer so far is Chinua Achebe .A very good match for him is Wole Soyinka,Achebe has an edge over soyinka in the nigerian context in that he portrays Nigerian culture in his writings , while a good number of soyinkas is so esoteric that it is meant for the western markets.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by blackgee(m): 7:34pm On Mar 11, 2008
we tend to neglect the fact our past president(political hero) in person of president obasanjo is a writer, i think he should be king to badge that title
for more evidence on this fact, go get "my command, Nzeogwu," and lots more in any of the national libraries nationwide.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by pinkette(f): 3:03am On Mar 29, 2008
@ blackgee

Are you a fan of the gorilla who ran away from the zoo or what? Till next millenium I think,, no, I know that Prof Chinua Achebe tops the list followed closely by Chimamanda Adichie. Check Out "Half Of A Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda. These people know what culture is all about. Their books are so real and vivid & the characters seem as if they are interacting direcly with you.

I've read that book by BABA, It's good but it's nothing compared with the works of these great people.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by doyin13(m): 8:02pm On Mar 29, 2008
Needless to say, answers will be largely subjective depending on what you look for in a writer.

Me, I don't like my writers being so obvious, laying everything out on the table. A writer that will make me think for days long
after I read the last page does it for me.

Now the obvious choice is between Soyinka and Achebe, all due respect to Adichie.

Achebe is outstanding, the authoritative voice of the African soul. With such ease and simplicity he will charm even the most obstinate
and cynical amongst us.

Soyinka is difficult and sometimes seemingly deliberately inaccessible. Verbose in parts, sneakily crafty in others, he is almost an elitist writer
where Achebe is 'populist'(in the positive sense of the word).

But I prefer Soyinka. His craftiness appeals to me more than the wise old voice of Achebe. Plus he has range and he is a lot more subtle, a literary tease in
every sense.

And most of all everytime I read his books again, it seems I am reading a totally different book from the last time, cause new vignettes of literary
brilliance seem to pop out from nowhere.

So for me- - - - -the title goes to Soyinka.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by Raymond88(m): 6:28pm On Apr 01, 2008
Definitely Wole Soyinka!

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by obiem(m): 4:48pm On Jul 25, 2008
Nobody does it better than Achebe for me, he's paints a picture that u can vividly capture in his works that u almost think u re watching a movie. His wisdom is unparalled ( no hard feelings for Soyinka) cos as far as i'm concerned, he's no writer but a poet, playright cum social activists.

If i got the question rite, Who's Nigeria's greatest writer not poet ?

Give it up for Prof Chinualumogu Achebe!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by SamMilla1(m): 9:54pm On Aug 01, 2008
Achebe tops my list
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by IMCCN(m): 12:08pm On Aug 05, 2008
soyinka, achebe, adichie, etc, no doubt are icons in the literary world but the greatest nigerian writer ever is yet to be revealed. (emphasis on ''greatest'')
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by blissfullynaughty: 1:37pm On Aug 05, 2008
IMCCN:

soyinka, achebe, adichie, etc, no doubt are icons in the literary world but the greatest nigerian writer ever is yet to be revealed. (emphasis on ''greatest'')

I think the emphasis is "Ever". We can pick the greatest Nigerian writer thus far, but nobody can speak for all posterity.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by slyk2(m): 1:43pm On Aug 06, 2008
yes, when it comes to the literary world, Nigeria in question SOYINKA and ACHEBE dominates the scene.

Soyinka has the world coveted honour of nobel price while Achebe has non.
Soyinka remains political and a social crusader while Achebe remains his humble self.

in terms of wide readership in Nigeria and Africa and even world over, Achebe takes the podium.

and the verdict, ACHEBE is the better option.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by delvinmaya(m): 10:51am On Aug 07, 2008
The legendary Achebe
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by nawah1: 3:28pm On Aug 18, 2008
I can't give that 'title' to one writer. There are good writers in Nigeria, giving the 'title' to one will mean undervaluing others.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by Nobody: 8:10pm On Aug 18, 2008
I haven't read a lot of Nigerian literature. I'll go for Adichie.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by bollingjoe(m): 8:54pm On Aug 19, 2008
people pls give it up for achebe.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by pearl2(m): 11:01pm On Aug 19, 2008
'KONGI' himself-our WS

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Nigerian Writer Ever by mykali(m): 12:54pm On Aug 21, 2008
@author.

i suggest u put up a poll for it so people vote.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Yoruba Poem: Mura Si Ise Ore Mi. / Impregnate Me Or I Die - Episode 11 / I will Design A Book Cover For ₦1000 (Portfolio Inside)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.