Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism (15569 Views)

Pregnant CNN Anchor Faints On Live Tv ( Photo) / The D.R Congo CNN Does Not Want You To See (pics) / Cnn's Fareed Zakaria Apologises, Suspended Over Plagiarism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 12, 2012
WTF is all this the system is trying to silence him

the man is a journalist - he makes a living from writing articles and covering news

plagiarism is even kind. it is outright stealing.

supposing the article in question was considered for some award - what then?
want to blame anyone, blame the internet and technology - it is far easier to track down plagiarism in these days.

as to sanusi - thats apples and oranges

1) sanusi is not a journalist
2) sanusi gave the speech as the CBN governor, not as the individual - in companies everywhere, subordinates draft the speeches, letters etal and the oga edits.it simply means one or more of the authors of the speech was lazy - that is how subordiantes fk their ogas
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 12, 2012
Who is hurt by the suspension of Zakaria, I am more hurt than Zakaria himself, because I am one of his ardent fans and I enjoy every bit of his shows and columns. Plagiarism or not, he brings the core truth to limelight, history exposed is plagiarized, even these words I am typing are originally not mine. I Plagiarize. So what happens to millions of his viewers, we are left empty, wanting and yearning for knowledge exposition, while the great invisible hands that runs the world's most powerful country is trying to silence the truth. The truth is always kept secret. The world's populace has rights to know....just like the spammers chose their bets based on low IQ density. USA has ripped me of a knowledge source. Rendering me susceptible to sovereign socio-political scam. If it was not plagiarism, it would have been something else. Zakaria would still have been taken off the airwaves and "cautioned", I am predicting, that, when he resumes again, it will be watered truth, can I say half-truth? Yes, the truth that USA wants told, not the absolute truth.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Nobody: 10:50am On Aug 12, 2012
Billyonaire: Who is hurt by the suspension of Zakaria, I am more hurt than Zakaria himself, because I am one of his ardent fans and I enjoy every bit of his shows and columns. Plagiarism or not, he brings the core truth to limelight, history exposed is plagiarized, even these words I am typing are originally not mine. I Plagiarize. So what happens to millions of his viewers, we are left empty, wanting and yearning for knowledge exposition, while the great invisible hands that runs the world's most powerful country is trying to silence the truth. The truth is always kept secret. The world's populace has rights to know....just like the spammers chose their bets based on low IQ density. USA has ripped me of a knowledge source. Rendering me susceptible to sovereign socio-political scam. If it was not plagiarism, it would have been something else. Zakaria would still have been taken off the airwaves and "cautioned", I am predicting, that, when he resumes again, it will be watered truth, can I say half-truth? Yes, the truth that USA wants told, not the absolute truth.

please reserve your incoherence for the defense of gej

2 Likes

Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by shuddyy: 1:05pm On Aug 12, 2012
I think we are discussing two different Fareed Zakaria here! The true Fareed zakaria at the centre of this issue is the anchor of CNN GPS, he is undoubtedly super intelligent....way more intelligent that mediocres here calling him unintelligent. Definitely these critics calling him unintelligent don't watch CNN GPS neither do they read his articles in The Time. Too bad he got his credibility stained by plagiarism. But nonetheless he remains a very brilliant top notch thinker and public analyst! GPS is the only programme I look forward to every week. I admire him so much I promise to give his name to my first son!!!
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by esere826: 1:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
shuddyy: I think we are discussing two different Fareed Zakaria here! The true Fareed zakaria at the centre of this issue is the anchor of CNN GPS, he is undoubtedly super intelligent....way more intelligent that mediocres here calling him unintelligent. Definitely these critics calling him unintelligent don't watch CNN GPS neither do they read his articles in The Time. Too bad he got his credibility stained by plagiarism. But nonetheless he remains a very brilliant top notch thinker and public analyst! GPS is the only programme I look forward to every week. I admire him so much I promise to give his name to my first son!!!

shocked shocked shocked
You want to plagiarize his name on your son? grin

1 Like

Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by cheikh: 1:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
esere826
I dont always agree with him, but do you know how tough it is to be able to weave an almost seamless narrative around geo-economical and social facts?

@^^ Bros, if you are well travelled especially if you are originally from the so called third world, educated properly in the liberal arts et al, have the resources of good institutions around you such as Time/Newsweek, good hype around you and access, believe me you'll also do well if you are articulate enough wink cheesy. He is certainly bright but not exceptional than any one on NL. I can name a few at the top of my head grin grin.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by cheikh: 1:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
Oyb
please reserve your incoherence for the defense of gej

@^^ Damn!! grin. You harsh ooo grin grin grin. On point!
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by iragbijile: 2:00pm On Aug 12, 2012
shuddyy: I think we are discussing two different Fareed Zakaria here! The true Fareed zakaria at the centre of this issue is the anchor of CNN GPS, he is undoubtedly super intelligent....way more intelligent that mediocres here calling him unintelligent. Definitely these critics calling him unintelligent don't watch CNN GPS neither do they read his articles in The Time. Too bad he got his credibility stained by plagiarism. But nonetheless he remains a very brilliant top notch thinker and public analyst! GPS is the only programme I look forward to every week. I admire him so much I promise to give his name to my first son!!!

I dont understand? What is your son going to do with his name after "you give it to him?" How are you going to give it to him?

PS: Do you mean: You will name your son after him?

Now I understand why you think he is intelligent . . .
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by cheikh: 2:07pm On Aug 12, 2012
Ajanlekoko
A lot of Nigerians are even beginning to hold them up as a standard

@^^ Our power "elite" in Nigeria certainly do hold them as a standard hence their closest allies in "business" - lootocracy are Indians and Pakistanis. Ibori's closest adviser(lawyer) Indian actually was imprisoned too in the U.K. like him. It is sad that we do not really know the kind of people we are associating with let alone getting into "bed" with as business partners etc. They are inherently corrupt and mindless. No doubt that they are "academically" bright but that is all there is to it sad. Creativity is something else.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by cheikh: 2:10pm On Aug 12, 2012
iragbijile
Now I understand why you think he is intelligent . . .

@^^ grin grin wink.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by shuddyy: 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2012
^ stop being silly mr man! Trying to play english master will not make you look intelligent. If u like consider Fareed to be dull. Am pretty sure he is better than what you could ever claim as your level of intelligence!
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by 1k001(m): 3:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
cheikh: esere826

@^^ How do you adjudge him being "highly intelligent" chap? Everyday is for the thief but someday he/she will be exposed. He's Indian by birth so nothing surprises me-" the End justifies the means". That is their inherent philosophy to life and to everything else. Corruption is never far from their backyard. It can be attributed to some character flaw if we look at it holistically - his roots sad. I am not easily impressed by some pseudo-intellectual American wannabe Indian. He is certainly not the first nor the last. There is more in the pipe line from where he comes from. Academic qualifications for them is the easiest path/part to get into the "act" just like Nigerians excelling in academia too(qualifications) without originality/creativity either.

Your statement is incredibly prejudiced and discriminatory. I've done a lot of work with very creative and Indians and Nigerians who would take offence at your suggestion that both groups are inherently corrupt. To qualify the quality of a person based on where they come from is the least of 'virtues'. I'd much rather plagiarism!
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by 1k001(m): 3:37pm On Aug 12, 2012
cheikh: Ajanlekoko

@^^ Our power "elite" in Nigeria certainly do hold them as a standard hence their closest allies in "business" - lootocracy are Indians and Pakistanis. Ibori's closest adviser(lawyer) Indian actually was imprisoned too in the U.K. like him. It is sad that we do not really know the kind of people we are associating with let alone getting into "bed" with as business partners etc. They are inherently corrupt and mindless. No doubt that they are "academically" bright but that is all there is to it sad. Creativity is something else.

Again another who has fallen into the trap of referring to a race as inherently corrupt and mindless. I take it then that you are just as corrupt as Ibori seeing as you both have the same skin colour and hail from Nigeria (assuming of course that you are a Nigerian)
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by iragbijile: 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2012
shuddyy: ^ stop being silly mr man! Trying to play english master will not make you look intelligent. If u like consider Fareed to be dull. Am pretty sure he is better than what you could ever claim as your level of intelligence!

ROFL @ "play[ing] english master."

Typical Nigerian dunderhead. . . anyone capable of stringing two or more words together without stuttering like them is either "play[ing] english master" or "a top notch thinker." What a waste of grey matter!
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by shuddyy: 5:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
Unfortunately for you, you will do more than this to be considered close to being intelligent. Hold it! Who cares about your low life? Fareed is world class n has shown that to the world. Keep wallowing in ignorance while labelling a Havard phd holder untelligent when you are not even smart by half. So much for your childish mind!

Do u know how many books Fareed has written? Do you know how many brilliant minds have graced CNN GPS ? Do u think The Times will allow him write for them if he is not intelligent? Maybe you should come to the fore with your achievements first before opening your stinking mouth to call someone unintelligent.
Bad he is entangled in this plagiarism mess but nonetheless he is a very intelligent chap....way above thw level your intelligence could ever peak! Stop being unnecessarily hypocritical because you want to sound smart.

iragbijile:

ROFL @ "play[ing] english master."

Typical Nigerian dunderhead. . . anyone capable of stringing two or more words together without stuttering like them is either "play[ing] english master" or "a top notch thinker." What a waste of grey matter!
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by suyu: 6:05pm On Aug 12, 2012
I am disappointed by this man, I would expect better from him
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by cheikh: 6:26pm On Aug 12, 2012
wesley80
But what you must realize is that people don't tune in to watch his programmes cos he's got a Phd from Havard but because he delivers and analyses the news better than most while managing to criticize govts in a most pleasant and constructive manner that leaves you nodding in agreement. Like noted in the link above, there are a number of excuses he could have given that would be considered tenable but he hasn't done so, rather he's chosen to accept full responsibility and take the fall. I hope he bounces back soon.

@^^ You are right. I hope he bounces back too. It is the inherent hazard of the job and the nature of the American close "scrutiny" market place/culture sad. I hope that you realised that I never said anywhere in my posts that he's "unintelligent" wink. I do not talk like that cheesy.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by iragbijile: 7:13pm On Aug 12, 2012
shuddyy: Unfortunately for you, you will do more than this to be considered close to being intelligent. Hold it! Who cares about your low life? Fareed is world class n has shown that to the world. Keep wallowing in ignorance while labelling a Havard phd holder untelligent when you are not even smart by half. So much for your childish mind!

Do u know how many books Fareed has written? Do you know how many brilliant minds have graced CNN GPS ? Do u think The Times will allow him write for them if he is not intelligent? Maybe you should come to the fore with your achievements first before opening your stinking mouth to call someone unintelligent.
Bad he is entangled in this plagiarism mess but nonetheless he is a very intelligent chap....way above thw level your intelligence could ever peak! Stop being unnecessarily hypocritical because you want to sound smart.

I literally don't understand anything you're saying. I don't do text-speak; your syntax is that of a 4th grader. Before we can have a legitimate discussion, Please clean up your writing skills.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by cheikh: 7:42pm On Aug 12, 2012
1k001
Again another who has fallen into the trap of referring to a race as inherently corrupt and mindless. I take it then that you are just as corrupt as Ibori seeing as you both have the same skin colour and hail from Nigeria (assuming of course that you are a Nigerian)
(

@^^ Nigeria is not really a nation compared to India and Pakistan. Nigeria does not have a national cultural identity let alone a national philosophical identity which can be ascribed to the people. We are all "lone rangers" hence the perenial national malaise etc. India on the other hand has an identifiable national identity/culture etc which we can say is Indian despite the multiplicity of various ethnicities within the territory just like Naija. They have managed to forge a national language/philosophy/culture etc. We are not yet a 'nation' in Nigeria so anyone ascribing any negative epithet to me as a Nigerian is a waste of time. It only assuages the person's hang-ups/ inherent prejudice which I have no control over let alone give a damn for. Without sounding PC(political correctness), seriously, can you not identify national characteristics/traits/attitudes? Can you not say things definitively about Americans, British, French, Arab(s)(Saudi),etc?. I sincerely, appreciate and respect your opinion on this subject of (PC) and prejudice etc but much of prejudice are to some extent based on certain "objective" realities/'knowledge'. Can we help it? Yes! we can sometimes. My opinion is based on certain philosophical/cultural realities of the people(India and Pakistan). Culture and national philosophy defines a people not just 'PC'. It may not sound wholesome or ok hence the reticence because we are afraid that somebody else may call us names too in return. Ibori is as far away from my personal values but I take solace in the knowledge that he does not represent my values- personal or even "national" as we do not exactly have a nation as things are presently whether we like it or not. India is a nation so when I talk about a former citizen of India like Fareed, I am making a judgement based on his nationa/culture. It is not pretty or attractive though. It is what it is. I apologise if I have offended some sensibilities. I do not do "PC" most of the times. Sorry ooo.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Roland17(m): 8:49pm On Aug 12, 2012
I have ardently followed Fareed Rafik from his days as an editor with Newsweek International into his sojourn with CNN, his demeanor on set was always in tandem with his writings as a columnist, his courage to discuss issues such as Immigration, Health Insurance and Underdevelopment in Third world countries to mention a few were without doubt, irrespective of the current situation original.

Fareed made a Honest mistake which is almost inevitable in today's modern means of disseminating information, he has duly apologized and accepted any punishment meted at him by his current employers thus i still hold him in High regards.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by shuddyy: 8:52pm On Aug 12, 2012
iragbijile:

I literally don't understand anything you're saying. I don't do text-speak; your syntax is that of a 4th grader. Before we can have a legitimate discussion, Please clean up your writing skills.

Legitimate discussion? What's illegitimate about the discussion? WAEC English examiner! LOL! .....as if you have the intelligence to engage in a sensible discussion in the first place!
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by doofanc: 10:33pm On Aug 12, 2012
most people are now of the view that the contentious article was written - as usual, it is believed - by one of his many staff; it just happened to be a particularly lazy one this time. Fareed, it is believed, could not have engaged in such blatant plagiarism. Given his background, he most certainly would have been aware of the repercussions.

Whether this would attenuate the seriousness of the situation is another case altogether. Many (haters, if you like) don't think so. Some actually think its far worse because it portrays him as dishonest, money-hungry charlatan. You have to bear in mind he collected huge sums of money (an average of $75K) for some of these essays. If it turns out many of them were 'outsourced', things could become very messy indeed for him.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by tpia5: 2:52am On Aug 13, 2012
well, i do enjoy his analyses, most times when i watch his show.

he has a nice voice too- very easy to follow what he's saying.
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by tpia5: 2:54am On Aug 13, 2012
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Arthurnna: 10:56pm On Apr 10, 2022
And that's how the Cookie Crumbled!!

PhysicsQED:
Time, CNN Suspend Zakaria After He Admits "Terrible Mistake"

The columnist was caught passing off large chunks of a New Yorker essay as his own.

By Josh Vorhees | Posted Friday, Aug. 10, 2012, at 4:28 PM ET

Fareed Zakaria apologized Friday for the "close similarities" between his column and an essay published earlier this year in The New Yorker

Photo by Michal Cizek/AFP/Getty Images.

UPDATE: That didn't take long. Time magazine moved quickly to suspend columnist Fareed Zakaria for one month after he apologized Friday for lifting material from a New Yorker essay.

Here's the official statement from Time spokesman Ali Zelenko, via the AtlanticWire: "TIME accepts Fareed's apology, but what he did violates our own standards for our columnists, which is that their work must not only be factual but original; their views must not only be their own but their words as well. As a result, we are suspending Fareed's column for a month, pending further review."

CNN followed suit roughly an hour later, suspending the host of Fareed Zakaria GPS: "We have reviewed Fareed Zakaria’s Time column, for which he has apologized. He wrote a shorter blog post on CNN.com on the same issue which included similar unattributed excerpts. That blog post has been removed and CNN has suspended Fareed Zakaria while this matter is under review."

Friday, August 10: Time magazine's Fareed Zakaria apologized Friday for apparently borrowing heavily from a New Yorker article without attribution in his column on gun control this week, a journalistic misdeed he called a "serious lapse" and a "terrible mistake."

Here's his statement, via the the New York Times: "Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column this week bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore's essay in the April 22nd issue of The New Yorker. They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to her, to my editors at Time, and to my readers."

Zakaria's journalistic missteps were first flagged earlier Friday by conservative media watchdog Newsbusters.

Here's one example of the similarities between Zakaria's column and Jill Lepore's New Yorker essay.

Zakaria in "The Case for Gun Control":

Adam Winkler, a professor of constitutional law at UCLA, documents the actual history in Gunfight: The Battle over the Right to Bear Arms in America. Guns were regulated in the U.S. from the earliest years of the Republic. Laws that banned the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813. Other states soon followed: Indiana in 1820, Tennessee and Virginia in 1838, Alabama in 1839 and Ohio in 1859. Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas (Texas!) explained in 1893, the "mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder. To check it is the duty of every self-respecting, law-abiding man."

And Lepore, in "Battleground America":

As Adam Winkler, a constitutional-law scholar at U.C.L.A., demonstrates in a remarkably nuanced new book, “Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,” firearms have been regulated in the United States from the start. Laws banning the carrying of concealed weapons were passed in Kentucky and Louisiana in 1813, and other states soon followed: Indiana (1820), Tennessee and Virginia (1838), Alabama (1839), and Ohio (1859). Similar laws were passed in Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma. As the governor of Texas explained in 1893, the “mission of the concealed deadly weapon is murder. To check it is the duty of every self-respecting, law-abiding man.

Alexander Abad-Santos has rounded up a few more of the passages in question over at the AtlanticWire. Prior to Zakaria's apology, a Time spokesperson offered this to the website: "Time takes any accusation of plagiarism by any of our journalists very seriously, and we will carefully examine the facts before saying anything else on the matter."

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/08/10/fareed_zakaria_s_new_yorker_plagerism_time_columnist_apologizes_for_terrible_mistake_.html
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Teaser4(m): 11:15pm On Apr 10, 2022
I hate that gay mf called Don Lemon
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Flamemignon1(m): 8:50am On Apr 11, 2022
Teaser4:
I hate that gay mf called Don Lemon
What does your homophobia have to do with anything?
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Teaser4(m): 9:47am On Apr 11, 2022
Flamemignon1:

What does your homophobia have to do with anything?
are you a gay?
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Flamemignon1(m): 6:51pm On Apr 11, 2022
Teaser4:
are you a gay?
So if Eminem who's a great ally for gay people speak on behalf of them, he's gay? It's 2022,keep up with the times
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Teaser4(m): 6:54pm On Apr 11, 2022
Flamemignon1:

So if Eminem who's a great ally for gay people speak on behalf of them, he's gay? It's 2022,keep up with the times
im homophobic but i fvcking mind my business, online na for cruise tho….
Re: Time And CNN Suspend Fareed Zakaria For Plagiarism by Flamemignon1(m): 7:00pm On Apr 11, 2022
Teaser4:
im homophobic but i fvcking mind my business, online na for cruise tho….
O....k because it's like you just decided to announce your homophobia in a post that had nothing to do with homosexuality

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UN, ECOWAS Condemn Attempted Coup In Guinea Bissau / 6.4 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Southern California / King Charles III Will Be Coronated On May 6, 2023.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.