Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,819 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony (703 Views)

We Were Forced To Rig In Favour Of APC - INEC Official / Mama Peace At It Again: Dancing Dorobucci In Ondo State Amid Massive Crowd / BAKARE BOMBSHELL: How I Was Forced To Sign Resignation Letter As VP Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony by KiKatanga: 2:23pm On Aug 11, 2012
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/09/london-2012-africa-village-close

It was supposed to be the world's window on Africa during London 2012, the first time that the continent's national Olympic committees (NOCs) had joined to set up a hospitality house to showcase their culture and attract tourists, locals and even the occasional athlete.

Since Wednesday morning, however, Africa Village in Kensington Gardens, a collection of around 20 stands each representing a country, has been shut to visitors and plunged into acrimony.

The village's French organisers and British suppliers are understood to have been locked in a stand-off over the non-payment of bills believed to be worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Even trying to sell the continent to investors, African governments fail to oversee the simplest tasks.
Re: London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony by Naijatunj: 12:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
Get your facts right Ki-Katanga before you start condemning your own people. I live in London and I was outside the African Village on the day it was forced to close. Its demise was purely down to the French contractors and British sub-contractors and nothing to do with the African exhibitors all all, a majority of whom combined, had paid close to a £1 million. The questions you should be asking is What are our African Governments going to do about it? and, Would this had happened if the Village had been European or American?
Re: London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony by KiKatanga: 12:57pm On Aug 14, 2012
Naijatunj: Get your facts right Ki-Katanga before you start condemning your own people. I live in London and I was outside the African Village on the day it was forced to close. Its demise was purely down to the French contractors and British sub-contractors and nothing to do with the African exhibitors all all, a majority of whom combined, had paid close to a £1 million. The questions you should be asking is What are our African Governments going to do about it? and, Would this had happened if the Village had been European or American?

That's exactly what it says in the quote I posted!

But if I spend money, I spend it with the people who'll do the best job. That money was badly spent and badly managed by the French, but the African Olympic Committees handed over £2.4 million to them and got nothing but shame for it.

For £2.4 million there was no-one who could make sure it went off without too many problems?

If it had been European or American, I wouldn't care because it wouldn't be my people looking the fool, yet again.

If we do not know how we are failing we cannot improve.
Re: London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony by redsun(m): 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
Ki-Katanga:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/09/london-2012-africa-village-close

Even trying to sell the continent to investors, African governments fail to oversee the simplest tasks.

Wean they say french and british are they talking of french and english colonized africans or the colo/slave masters themselves?

Africans are like sucklings when it comes to dealing with fundamental issues. The socalled IOC african branch is just a puppet body used by oyinbo to include africans for the sake of formalities and siphoning resources. Like AU.
Re: London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony by KiKatanga: 3:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
redsun:

Wean they say french and british are they talking of french and english colonized africans or the colo/slave masters themselves?

Africans are like sucklings when it comes to dealing with fundamental issues. The socalled IOC african branch is just a puppet body used by oyinbo to include africans for the sake of formalities and siphoning resources. Like AU.

Presumably the French from France and the British from Britain. i.e. mostly not Africans.
Re: London 2012: Africa Village Showcase Forced To Close Amid Acrimony by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
Naijatunj: Get your facts right Ki-Katanga before you start condemning your own people. I live in London and I was outside the African Village on the day it was forced to close. Its demise was purely down to the French contractors and British sub-contractors and nothing to do with the African exhibitors all all, a majority of whom combined, had paid close to a £1 million. The questions you should be asking is What are our African Governments going to do about it? and, Would this had happened if the Village had been European or American?

Or you could ask if the African organizers made sure to do a thorough background check on the organization in question before decided to have it handle this project. I mean it is a big blow.

(1) (Reply)

Nine Die As Boko Haram Fights Fake Members / Bombing Follows Shooting At Southern Russia Mosque / Boko Haram: No Need For Dialogue — Oritsejafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.