Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,830 members, 7,802,653 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ (11303 Views)

Kabiru Sokoto Claims He Is Innocent / What Happened To Kabiru Sokoto? / Escape Of Kabiru Sokoto: Zakari Biu Dismissed From Nigeria Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by gramci: 4:49am On Aug 12, 2012
Friday, July 13, will remain etched on the mind of 33 year-old Tanimu Labaran, a native of Kano. The Abuja-based driver, who had worked with a legislator who had an encounter with soldiers, one of whom was his friend, and detained for three weeks

You had an encounter with security agents. Tell us how it happened.

What happened to me was an unfortunate incident. There were some tea sellers around Durumi area where I go to take tea. So I was there when some fracas broke out. Some boys came and chased everyone away from the place.

We had no idea what was happening so we fled and left our shoes behind. Later on, we came back for our shoes and heard that the tea seller and the boys were not on good terms and that was why the boys attacked the place. So we suggested they report the issue to the police. When a report was made . . .

These boys you refer to, who were they?

They are some construction workers who sit by the roadside waiting for someone to hire them and they had a problem with the tea seller.

So we went and reported to the police and when we returned, some of the boys working with the tea sellers brought out weapons the assailants had left behind. When I saw this, I ceased the knife from the boy and we went to look for the person who started the fight but we didn’t find him.

So we came back and I took the weapon to my house. The next day, the construction workers heard that the issue had been reported to the police so they met and discussed and came to compensate the tea seller for the damages done. They paid him N10,000.

So what happened next?

So they asked me about their knife which I had taken to my house and I told them I will give it back to them. So I had gone to bring the weapon and was returning when I met a friend of mine, who is a military policeman. His name is Madaki. He saw me with the knife. He was standing with some seven other men, including a dismissed soldier. This was around Apo, under the bridge. So he just came and without a word struck me on the face.

Who struck you on the face?

Madaki.

The one you said is your friend?

I no longer consider him a friend because of what he did to me. A friend will not treat his friend in such a manner. So he struck me on the face and all the others joined in and started beating me up, saying they suspect me of being Kabiru Sokoto.

Was there some misunderstanding between you before then?

There was nothing. They beat me up and handcuffed me and continued beating me to the extent that I wasn’t hearing quite clearly with one of my ears. They were still beating me when a patrol team from Yakubu Gowon Barracks drove by and they asked what was happening. He told them he was a soldier and they asked him to identify himself. He showed them his ID card and then told them that I am Kabiru Sokoto and that he caught me with a weapon and showed them the knife. So they took me away . . .

So where did they take you away to?

They took me to the area around Protea Hotel, Asokoro and set me down. They removed my shirt and covered my face with it and asked me to say my last prayer.

Then they dragged me into some bush, I don’t quite know where exactly since my face was covered, and they asked me to tell them the truth of what had happened. I told them the truth and maintained it. They eventually took me to Gowon Barracks around 1a.m. and took me to the guardroom.

They kept me there until daybreak. Then Madaki came and asked for me to be presented to him. Two Staff Sergeants interrogated me and I told them what had happened. They said I was lying and striped me and beat me and gave me these scars on my back.

What did they use to beat you?

They used horsewhips and flogged me. Thereafter, they took me back to the guardroom and left me there for three weeks. Then the OC transferred my case and they took me to the SSS. There, I gave them my statement and they took me to the Commissioner of Police of the FCT. When he read my file, he said he will not take on the case . . .

You mean the CP himself?

Yes, the CP himself. He said it is not the military’s jurisdiction to arrest an individual and detain him for three weeks without handing him over to the police for due investigation and prosecution. So he told the SSS to go away with me.

Do you know on what day you were taken to the CP?

I was taken to the CP on . . . I can’t quite recall the date.

But you remember the date you were first detained?

I was held on Friday July 13.

And this friend of yours, Madaki, do you know his full name?

Yes. There was a soldier I spoke to while in the guardroom and when I told him what happened he said his full name is Suleman Madaki.

Do you have his number, his army number?

No, I don’t. I don’t.

So what happened thereafter?

From the CP, I was taken back to the SSS office and I took ill there. They took me to the hospital.

Which hospital were you taken to?

I don’t know but it was their [the SSS] hospital. I was so ill I didn’t quite know where I was. It was within their quarters, I think somewhere around City Gate.

They took me there and bought the needed drugs and food for me and then they brought me back and asked me to call anyone I know to come and secure my release. I called a friend of mine, the son of an Honourable member at the National Assembly Quarters.

He came and signed for me and they said he was responsible for me and asked me to return on a particular date, on a Wednesday, I went and they asked me to report back on a Monday. They have asked me to go back twice now.

Have you gone back? What happened when you went back?

I did, they just asked me how my area is now and I told them there was no problem. They were just asking questions and I answered them. I was there for two hours. And then they asked me to return on Tuesday, August 14.

And you have not been taken to court yet?

I have not been taken to court.

And you were the only person there, all through your stay in detention?

No, at the guardroom, they brought some 15 other people from Zamfara, they were riding their motorcycles to Masaka to work and they were arrested in front of the barracks and put in a cell.

Eleven of them had motorcycles; the others are water vendors and pure water sellers. So they were detained and after five days in detention, the OC came, he was a Captain, and asked for them to be brought out. He flogged them and drove them away without releasing their motorcycles to them. So the 11 motorcycles were left at the barracks.

Why were they flogged, do you know?

Nothing. They did nothing. The soldiers asked why were they driving fast in the night.

Have you met Madaki since your release?

Yes, I went to him one Friday night. He had told me there is a tailor he has who would sew some cloth for me so I had given him my brocade to give to the tailor. So when I was detained, my brocade was still with him. After my release, after I had reported to the SSS, I went by his office and saw many soldiers there. They asked me who I was looking for and I told them. When I saw him, he shook my hand and told me he was sorry, that he regretted what happened.

He asked me what was the situation then and I told him I had just returned from the SSS office and had come to collect my brocade. He told me he had already given it to the tailor and that he would get it back. Even on Thursday, [August 9th] he called me to apologise and asked me to let the issue pass.

http://sundaytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11040:security-agents-tortured-me-for-3-weeks-saying-i-was-kabiru-sokoto&catid=41:latest-news&Itemid=26
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by 13volts(m): 5:34am On Aug 12, 2012
I guess shirk Gummi was right, the army are fighting innocent people instead of Boko Haram

4 Likes

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by fellawales: 6:55am On Aug 12, 2012
How they catch lion in Nigeria; catch a cat and beat it till it confess it is a Lion. God bless Nigeria.

But I think there Is something more to dat story.

6 Likes

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by supoade: 7:59am On Aug 12, 2012
SSS in the usual catch Rabbit to call it a Lion. What a Pathetic Country!

Where is Kabiru Sokoto?
Where is Abu Qaqa?
Where is Ali Ndume ?
Where are other captured BH suspects?

Pathetic Government voted in by bunch of idiots (Gospel according to Tunde Bakare)

Lastly... Where is BEAF?

6 Likes

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Omexonomy: 8:32am On Aug 12, 2012
It is a pity that i will call it a colateral damage. Oga sorry o
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 12, 2012
This is unjust and inhumane. I blame this on the leaders in the army. They just recruit senseless illiterates into the army and unleash them on our roads with uniforms and guns to terrorize innocent civilians.

This isn't the first time we are hearing about army men acting so stupidly and unjust.

Just like baba Fela called them, they are Zombies that just follow orders blindly. And without orders, they act according to their low IQ and irrational mentality.

1 Like

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by ektbear: 10:58am On Aug 12, 2012
fellawales: How they catch lion in Nigeria; catch a cat and beat it till it confess it is a Lion. God bless Nigeria.

But I think there Is something more to dat story.
lmao
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by na2day(m): 11:03am On Aug 12, 2012
This is exactly why i always tell people not to believe whatever they see on the media, especially as pertain to Nigerian security outfits.
These guys are brutal and very very inhuman in their ways.
I wont be surprised, if the arrested mastermind of the deeper life attack in kogi, is infact innocent of the crime. angry

1 Like

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Beetwo(m): 11:20am On Aug 12, 2012
Plz, can anyone confirm if he is d same kabiru sokoto dey claimed dey arrested in stack of clothes. Abi na which kabiru sokoto hin be again?

1 Like

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by ebamma(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2012
kabiru sokoto, kabiru kano,kabiru gombe,kabiru kaduna

1 Like

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by ebamma(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2012
i hate sob stories
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by ballabriggs: 11:27am On Aug 12, 2012
"When I saw him, he shook my hand and told me he was sorry, that he regretted what happened."

You see the animals in uniform.
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Basic(m): 11:27am On Aug 12, 2012
How can a nation prosper when innocent ones are unduly punished? How can a nation prosper when the weak are being brutalised? Anybody could've been in this poor man's shoes. So tell me, where's the security in this country? Security itself has gone in search of safety.
For reasons like this, I wish I were not Nigerian...

1 Like

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by mahel: 11:44am On Aug 12, 2012
Dis story get fish inside!.. Y carry d knife 2 ur house in d 1st place?.. Such unfortunate do realy happen but i feel dis guy jist is nt just complete!
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by topsy1971: 11:46am On Aug 12, 2012
This matter should just not be swept under carpet like that. This guy needed legal assistance to bring this so called Madaki to justice.
You can't just pick someone and detain him for three weeks, only to come and say sorry.
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by BabaO2: 11:47am On Aug 12, 2012
13volts: I guess shirk Gummi was right, the army are fighting innocent people instead of Boko Haram
so you cant even discern truth from trash

1 Like

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by olatwo(m): 11:54am On Aug 12, 2012
I HAVE NEVER FOR ONCE BELIEVED THIS STORY B4, SO PATHETIC STORY.

ANOTHER NIGERIAN STORY
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by dnawah(m): 12:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
Beetwo: Plz, can anyone confirm if he is d same kabiru sokoto dey claimed dey arrested in stack of clothes. Abi na which kabiru sokoto hin be again?
the clone
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by EASY39(m): 12:04pm On Aug 12, 2012
na wa for ds soildier self
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by betrani(m): 12:12pm On Aug 12, 2012
Security itself has gone in search of safety grin grin grin
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Pennywise(m): 12:15pm On Aug 12, 2012
mahel: Dis story get fish inside!.. Y carry d knife 2 ur house in d 1st place?.. Such unfortunate do realy happen but i feel dis guy jist is nt just complete!

How can u be talking about knife as a weapon when you are dealing with a supposed Kabiru Sokoto leader of a muderous islamist movt letting off bombs and orchestrating multiple gun attacks on police stations.

BTW was this account given by the shi/t-faced Kabiru Sokoto that was shown to the media a few weeks ago?
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Fiawest(m): 12:18pm On Aug 12, 2012
Sorry oga go read join ur education,hw u go take weapon frm a crime scene n take it home,which kain brain u get?u be prosecutor?
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by betrani(m): 12:22pm On Aug 12, 2012
Basic: How can a nation prosper when innocent ones are unduly punished? How can a nation prosper when the weak are being brutalised? Anybody could've been in this poor man's shoes. So tell me, where's the security in this country? Security itself has gone in search of safety
For reasons like this, I wish I were not Nigerian...
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
hausa man brain sef! Who is fooling who?
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by strangest(m): 12:38pm On Aug 12, 2012
Every muslim will continue to be a suspected terrorist until you guys form a vigilante group that will identify the bad eggs in your society and hand them over to the police or sss. I can remember when there was an increase in the rate of arm robbery in my area, any young boy walking on the street is easily picked up by the police for interrogation, this continued until we set up a vigilante group around our area and handed the bad eggs over to the police. Till date we do not witness such unwarranted arrest and detention by the police. There is no way that you will expect the police to know who is right and who is wrong without some form of intelligence report and torture. Anyone who has watched the movie "five finger" will probably understand what I mean. If actually and truly that the guy is innocent then I believe that it is a call out to all muslim and islam youths in the North to set up their own vigilante group and hand over the bad eggs to the police apart from that the torture will continue. The police are not magicians.

4 Likes

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by ArQueBusieR(m): 12:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
13volts: I guess shirk Gummi was right, the army are fighting innocent people instead of Boko Haram
How are they fighting innocent people?
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Basic(m): 12:42pm On Aug 12, 2012
There's no calamity greater than you having enemies who disguise as friends. If this story is 100% true, then may God punish Madaki!
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
See, the northern leaders are at work again. They have been able to remove the NSA FROM the south to the north now it is the time of Army chief. See majority of us here don't actually know what Nigeria is all about. This is how they would cook everything up then, they will conclude that the chief of army staff is not competent. I pray God should give GEJ a designment spirit for him to understand this game plan. Believe me or not the game plan is as a result of the statement credited to Asari Tocubo. Pls understand before comments.

1 Like

Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by lacasa: 12:49pm On Aug 12, 2012
teminoni: This is unjust and inhumane. I blame this on the leaders in the army. They just recruit senseless illiterates into the army and unleash them on our roads with uniforms and guns to terrorize innocent civilians.

This isn't the first time we are hearing about army men acting so stupidly and unjust.

Just like baba Fela called them, they are Zombies that just follow orders blindly. And without orders, they act according to their low IQ and irrational mentality.

On point
gringrin
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by lacasa: 12:51pm On Aug 12, 2012
Ozedy: See, the northern leaders are at work again. They have been able to remove the NSA FROM the south to the north now it is the time of Army chief. See majority of us here don't actually know what Nigeria is all about. This is how they would cook everything up then, they will conclude that the chief of army staff is not competent. I pray God should give GEJ a designment spirit for him to understand this game plan. Believe me or not the game plan is as a result of the statement credited to Asari Tocubo where he said, "when Nigeria go to war, the army will not be there to defend the north". The north is not the taking the threat lightly, hence this game plan. Pls understand before comments.

^^this one is high

grin
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by Nobody: 12:54pm On Aug 12, 2012
This story wana make me cry he was just a victim of circumstances it could happen to anyone. God pls continue to protect us all
Re: 'Security Agents Tortured Me For 3 Weeks, Saying I Was Kabiru Sokoto’ by mu2sa2: 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2012
It is this kind of unprofessional behaviour on d part of soldiers (and police) that has pushed people we call Boko Haram into unrepented violence. Boko haram started 2001 and up till 2009 were not involved in any form of violence. 8-9 years no violence - they were just preaching and drawing larging following from the poverty-stricken masses, and also had some kind of social welfare scheme. Now, why hav they turned to violence? Police and army are to blame. In 2009 Mohammed yusuf (late boko haram leader, killed by police)fell out with former Borno state governor(SAS) and SAS started using police to attack & kill large numbers of ertswhile peacefull BH with whom he had been hobnobbing for political gain. In responce, BH also acquired arms and the violence began. Most of BH attacks ar against security forces, which they see as avenging the killing of their members.They hav now added churhes as targets. Analysts believe that their aim is to provoke christians to start attacking muslims in retaliation so that we hav a full scale religious war in nigeria.It's clear from his Yuotube videos that Shekau (BH leader) is a hardliner & mayb also his lieutenants. But they can change. D country is now faced with d choice of either to use force or dialogue with BH. May God help nigeria out of this delicate situation.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wike Meets With Physically Challenged Indigenes Of Rivers State / Fix Federal Roads In South-East - Ohanaeze Youths Beg Buhari / Buhari Sends Sallah Message, Urges Nigerians To Avoid Reckless Statements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.