Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,176 members, 7,957,398 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:03 PM

Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players (9587 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Shark FC, Other Football Players Sleep In Front Of Rivers Govt House / Nigerian Football Players' Real Ages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 13, 2012
How do physical characteristics affect football players performance? Which team in Africa has the tallest and fittest players? And do they necessarily perform according to their physical attributes?

Algeria

Angola

Benin

Botswana

Burkina

Cameroon

Congo

Cote D'ivoire

Egypt

[img]http://english.ahram.org.eg/Media/News/2012/2/20/2012-634653403607396440-739.jpg[/img]

Gabon

Ghana

Guinea-Conakry

Guinea Equatorial

Lybia

Mali

[img]http://world-cup-wallpaper.com/wp-content/themes/snapshot/thumb.php?src=wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mali-National-Football-Team.jpg&w=690&h=396&zc=1&q=90[/img]

Morocco

Nigeria

[img]http://lagoslagoon.files./2011/10/02011100820909am.jpg[/img]

Senegal

[img]http://4.bp..com/-oulAEncodcc/TxrbGComLkI/AAAAAAAAAIc/AZ6aMDeYKBw/s1600/Senegal.jpg[/img]

South Africa

[img]http://1.bp..com/_d4LkW2yxNI0/S4lVgKGtY1I/AAAAAAAAAMY/dBR-xqCFdKY/s1600/South+Africa+national+football+team+FIFA+2010.jpg[/img]

Togo

Tunisia

Zambia

Zimbabwe

Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by NEWBIN: 7:42am On Aug 13, 2012
height has nothing to do with soccer, you can ask messi, maradona, jay-jay,aguero, park etc etc
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 13, 2012
^---Pretty Much. Smaller More Agile Stature is actually a positive in World Football.
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by meziboi(m): 7:58am On Aug 13, 2012
NEW BIN:
height has nothing to do with soccer, you can ask messi, maradona, jay-jay,aguero, park etc etc
Abi see short messi,inesta and xavi dey dismantle tall player like pepe,ferdinand or vidic
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Fulaman198(m): 1:53pm On Aug 13, 2012
What about people like Nwankwo Kanu who was one of the best strikers in his time when he was not sick. He was easily as good as Ronaldo when in his prime. Also Henry who is over 6 feet. Being a tall footballer has its advantages. Not really many disadvantages when you know how to play.

Also African footballers are very underrated. It is hard to really say what makes and breaks a strong team. When Nigeria was good in the 90s it was due to their speed, precise ball handling and passing. Don't forget how we bested Brazil, Argentina, and Spain in the 90s.

It is due to the corruption of our country that we can no longer field a team like that.
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by omar22(m): 2:15pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198: What about people like Nwankwo Kanu who was one of the best strikers in his time when he was not sick. He was easily as good as Ronaldo when in his prime. Also Henry who is over 6 feet. Being a tall footballer has its advantages. Not really many disadvantages when you know how to play.

Also African footballers are very underrated. It is hard to really say what makes and breaks a strong team. When Nigeria was good in the 90s it was due to their speed, precise ball handling and passing. Don't forget how we bested Brazil, Argentina, and Spain in the 90s.

It is due to the corruption of our country that we can no longer field a team like that.

Kanu was never prolific as a striker, he was never good as Ronaldo and he a subsitute for Patrick Kluivert

Don't forget how we bested Brazil, Argentina, and Spain in the 90s.

Thats an Under 23 tournament which goes nowhere FIFA's ranking despite using overage players
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Fulaman198(m): 2:22pm On Aug 13, 2012
omar22:

Kanu was never prolific as a striker, he was never good as Ronaldo and he a subsitute for Patrick Kluivert

Thats an Under 23 tournament which goes nowhere FIFA's ranking despite using overage players

I think you forget when Kanu won African player of the year and was the leading scorer in the premier league.

Also Nigeria beat Spain in the 1998 world cup not Olympics
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 13, 2012
I believe physical characteristics do have a role to play in performance and well according to your position in the field. Is Messy able to outperform a defensive position with his stature? I don't think so. Plus I don't think the like of Pele, Messy, Maradonna height outweight the number of good players in similar positions. I ll be posting all African players height and weight according to their position and see if there is a correlation between their physical characteristics and their performance at their respective position.

1 Like

Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Fulaman198(m): 3:45pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sybellah: I believe physical characteristics do have a role to play in performance and well according to your position in the field. Is Messy able to outperform a defensive position with his stature? I don't think so. Plus I don't think the like of Pele, Messy, Maradonna height outweight the number of good players in similar positions. I ll be posting all African players height and weight according to their position and see if there is a correlation between their physical characteristics and their performance at their respective position.

Messi only plays well in his club.

Most great players have been 6 ft more (Zidane, Figo, Kanu, Drogba, Hate to say it but even Cristiano Ronaldo). Henry of France, etc. Etc.

Tall players can play any position, short players can't

1 Like

Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

Messi only plays well in his club.

Most great players have been 6 ft more (Zidane, Figo, Kanu, Drogba, Hate to say it but even Cristiano Ronaldo). Henry of France, etc. Etc.

Tall players can play any position, short players can't

Words, IMO! Not becuz a few players with the like of Messi are outstanding, that anybody from the same height can play as well. Maybe Messi problem in his national selection is due to the fact that that his game style does not necessarily fit in his national team as it does in Barca. Overall it's a collective game, so if others do not feel comfortable playing with u no matter how good u are, u would underperform.
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
omar22:

A substitute of Kluivert who is himself at least 6,2? lol
Kluivert was a very powerful forward, with pace and precision in his shooting. And if he has been smaller, i bet this would have been a totally different story.

1 Like

Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Fulaman198(m): 4:44pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sybellah:

Kluivert was a very powerful forward, with pace and precision in his shooting. And if he has been smaller, i bet this would have been a totally different story.

That was only in Milan though my dear Sybellah, but I do agree with you Kanu was prolific before he got sick, and at one point after his heart surgery he was the African player of the year in Arsenal and leading scorer. But you are correct a lot of the best players (if not most have been over 6 feet)

Bergkamp is another example (fellow strike to Kluivert), I'm surprised I forgot to mention him, but when I was growing up (I'm 28 now), there used to be so much talent in the mid 90s to early 2000s. I don't think Football is as exciting now as it was then. A short man can never be a goalkeeper or defender. Yet a tall man can play EVERY position and excel at it.

I would like to say the best defender of all time or one of the best is Lilian Thuram (who was a defender but also was very offensive minded). He is a big man too. Kanu is 6'5 or 6'6" and could play striker well when he was in peak form, very few rivaled him. Most greats have been taller/bigger players. Size matters just about in every sport.
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

That was only in Milan though my dear Sybellah, but I do agree with you Kanu was prolific before he got sick, and at one point after his heart surgery he was the African player of the year in Arsenal and leading scorer. But you are correct a lot of the best players (if not most have been over 6 feet)

Bergkamp is another example (fellow strike to Kluivert), I'm surprised I forgot to mention him, but when I was growing up (I'm 28 now), there used to be so much talent in the mid 90s to early 2000s. I don't think Football is as exciting now as it was then. A short man can never be a goalkeeper or defender. Yet a tall man can play EVERY position and excel at it.

I would like to say the best defender of all time or one of the best is Lilian Thuram (who was a defender but also was very offensive minded). He is a big man too. Kanu is 6'5 or 6'6" and could play striker well when he was in peak form, very few rivaled him. Most greats have been taller/bigger players. Size matters just about in every sport.

U didn't like Kluivert bro? I liked him in Milan and Barcelona. The thing is toward his end in Barcelona, he went down cuz he was taking football less seriously and always partied like a rock star kiss

1 Like

Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Fulaman198(m): 5:13pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sybellah:

U didn't like Kluivert bro? I liked him in Milan and Barcelona. The thing is toward his end in Barcelona, he went down cuz he was taking football less seriously and always partied like a rock star kiss

No, I liked Kluivert, I thought he was cool. I miss those days actually
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198: What about people like Nwankwo Kanu who was one of the best strikers in his time when he was not sick. He was easily as good as Ronaldo when in his prime. Also Henry who is over 6 feet. Being a tall footballer has its advantages. Not really many disadvantages when you know how to play.

lol^
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by babyboy3(m): 10:04pm On Aug 13, 2012
Fulaman198:

I think you forget when Kanu won African player of the year and was the leading scorer in the premier league.

Also Nigeria beat Spain in the 1998 world cup not Olympics

When did Kanu ever led the goal scoring chart in in the premier league, he won his award in 1999 and the was the year Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole led United to the treble
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by babyboy3(m): 10:06pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sybellah:

I meant Kluivert was Benching Kanu at Ajax
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Fulaman198(m): 10:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
baby-boy:

When did Kanu ever led the goal scoring chart in in the premier league, he won his award in 1999 and the was the year Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole led United to the treble

When Kanu was in Arsenal that year, at the time he wasn't a sub, but a starter for Arsenal I was 15 years old at the time lol (1999), he was playing really well, he used to play alongside Bergkamp but in this match, he played alongside Croatian Davor Suker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VNPVAUOai4

This was Arsenal vs. Chelsea where he scored a hat-trick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VNPVAUOai4

or remember this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXxgNDIunOY&
Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by BlackKenichi(m): 4:41pm On Feb 05, 2013
The AFCON 2013

Group A
South Africa - Average height (all 23 players) - 176.61cms/5’9.5”
Angola - Average height (20 out of 23 players) - 180.7cms/5’11.1”
Morocco - Average height (21 out of 23 players) – 181.26cms/5’11.4”
Cape Verde - Average height (22 out of 23 players) - 181.89cms/5’11.6”

Group B
Ghana - Average height (all 23 players) - 180.61cms/5’11.1’’
Mali - Average height (21 out of 23 players) – 184.285cms/6’0.5”
Niger - Average height (16 out of 23 players) – 181.19cms/5’11.3”
DR Congo - Average height (18 out of 23 players) – 178.53cms/5’10.3”

Group C
Zambia - Average height (21 out of 23 players) - 177.67cms/5’9.9”
Nigeria - Average height (22 out of 23 players) - 181.32cms/5’11.4”
Burkina Faso - Average height (21 out of 23 players) - 180.36cms/5’11.01”
Ethiopia - Average height (20 out of 23 players) – 178.375cms/5’10.2”

Group D
Ivory Coast - Average height (all 23 players) – 182.02cms/5’11.7”
Tunisia - Average height (all 23 players) – 183.46cms/6’0.2”
Algeria - Average height (all 23 players) – 182.24cms/5’11.7”
Togo - Average height (21 out of 23 players) – 180.83cms/5’11.2”

This was from all the available sources on the net! Most heights of football players are exaggerated so I had to modify them (e.g. Asamoah Gyan is not 6'1").
I might do an average facial composite of each team when I have the time!

1 Like

Re: Average Height And Weight Of African Football Players by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 05, 2013
Black Kenichi: The AFCON 2013

Group A
South Africa - Average height (all 23 players) - 176.61cms/5’9.5”
Angola - Average height (20 out of 23 players) - 180.7cms/5’11.1”
Morocco - Average height (21 out of 23 players) – 181.26cms/5’11.4”
Cape Verde - Average height (22 out of 23 players) - 181.89cms/5’11.6”

Group B
Ghana - Average height (all 23 players) - 180.61cms/5’11.1’’
Mali - Average height (21 out of 23 players) – 184.285cms/6’0.5”
Niger - Average height (16 out of 23 players) – 181.19cms/5’11.3”
DR Congo - Average height (18 out of 23 players) – 178.53cms/5’10.3”

Group C
Zambia - Average height (21 out of 23 players) - 177.67cms/5’9.9”
Nigeria - Average height (22 out of 23 players) - 181.32cms/5’11.4”
Burkina Faso - Average height (21 out of 23 players) - 180.36cms/5’11.01”
Ethiopia - Average height (20 out of 23 players) – 178.375cms/5’10.2”

Group D
Ivory Coast - Average height (all 23 players) – 182.02cms/5’11.7”
Tunisia - Average height (all 23 players) – 183.46cms/6’0.2”
Algeria - Average height (all 23 players) – 182.24cms/5’11.7”
Togo - Average height (21 out of 23 players) – 180.83cms/5’11.2”

This was from all the available sources on the net! Most heights of football players are exaggerated so I had to modify them (e.g. Asamoah Gyan is not 6'1"wink.
I might do an average facial composite of each team when I have the time!

cheeiii i even forgot about this topic grin
thank you for the info Black Kenichi

(1) (Reply)

International Judo Federation Suspends Putin As Honorary President/ Ambassador / Arsenal Goalkeeper, Peter Cech To Retire At The End Of The Season! / Football Pools Fixtures || ukfootballpools.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.