Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,310 members, 7,864,479 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:59 PM

Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency (11789 Views)

Nigeria To Cut Gas Supply To Ghana Over Indebtedness / States Will Receive N300b Presidential Special Intervention Fund Soon-presidency / Apc’ll Collapse Soon –presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by crackhouse(m): 5:59pm On Aug 13, 2012
SimonAndal: Let's wait and see. Nigeria's government is made up of "to", "will", "going", "soon", "going to", "will be"...
o boy no be lie o. As i dey write this we never get light for abt 5days now and yet sb is trying to convince me that dust bin no longer meant for thrash.
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by crackhouse(m): 6:03pm On Aug 13, 2012
simba4us: Mubi North, Adamawa state. Enjoying over 22 hours /day power supply for the past 5 days. Up Mr. president
why won't u have light when the people that are suppose to be using it have ran away b/cos of boko haram.
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by ocelot2006(m): 6:10pm On Aug 13, 2012
atikubaba: Dont b deceived increase in water lever due to the season is wat brought abt d increase in Mega watt.u wil knw beta during dry season

You do know that a large chunk of the power generated comes from thermal power plants, right?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Eifeh(m): 6:20pm On Aug 13, 2012
Haters can do this up p h c n

Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by billyG(m): 6:32pm On Aug 13, 2012
Na wash!abaracadabra!d more ushocked d less u wink,make i see am 4 eye first,am not gullible like millns of naijerians grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by billyG(m): 6:35pm On Aug 13, 2012
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Eziachi: 6:42pm On Aug 13, 2012
KOMBE: thumbs up for GEJ.
Should we thumb him down for the great olympic performance?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
GEJ is working without much blabbing and also fighting corruption at the same time but is not easy, i pray that God sees him through, all i know is one day every Nigerian will appreciate GEJ
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by hclacid(m): 7:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
well, one thing is generating a nominal of 9000MW, and another thing is transmitting with reduced power losses. i hope they invest in transmission... wink
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 13, 2012
stint: This is mis-direction .this is Jonathan using virtual improvement in electricity to distract nigerias from the more important issue of security , from his failure to preserve the life of thousands of Nigerians that has died due to his mumunity.
its a pity our Government won't do their job but what is necessary to preserve their job .

tah, i better enjoy 24/7 power supply than worry myself about wot happens in dat desert north, by the way is North still a part of Nigeria?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 13, 2012
GAR3TH:

From what I remember reading OBJ was the one who commissioned the project and I also read that NIPP reached 75% completion during Yar'Adua's administration. During the present and past administrations the power plants was and still are under construction. But according to you, we should give GEJ all the credit even though he had nothing to do with the NIPP expect for being the one in office when it will be completed? That like the final runner in a relay race getting all the credit for finishing even though his teammates also ran with with the baton in the race.

My point is you and a few other people on Nairaland give GEJ waaaay to much credit. You also denounce and repudiate the positive things past administrations and opposition parties did. GEJ has projects of his own but not everything completed or commissioned by GEJ is made by him.

You said 75% completion, so why didnt i start seeing improvements in powers supply then as i am seeing now?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 13, 2012
1025:

stop deceiving urself. jonathan SHOULD COME OUT BOLD and tell nigerians when we will stop improving and be stable like other countries of this world both the rich and the poor.
how come u always come here to celebrate over the word IMPROVING? how long does this improving take a nation? all these reports of 5 days un-interrupted electricity should come with ur location. i live here in ajah lagos and the supply here is better but what about those in imo state my state of origin? are ppl in contonou, ghana, abidjan or america still talking about improving? by the way, in 2008, those living in ajah area of lagos state will bear me witness that the supply was great then too. it is all about a round about movement that keeps sucking us of our national funds.
if we have the supply we are celebrating, we have a very large market here that every company of this world will be here without delays.
today, privatization, tomorrow, megawatts and the next day, winding up phcn. what is the real programme and project for this power supply?
did barth nnaji tell us how long it took nigeria to achieve this 4237 megawatts and what we had before he came on board. celebrants here must know if barth and joe took 2 years to achieve 5 megawatts and are targeting 9000 megawatts in the next 80 years.
i hate pdp and what ever they stand for because they treat us like goats and dogs.
nigeria has all it takes and many companies out there are waiting to be contacted so why are we not having electricity? if countries like china and india have steady power supplies as big as they are, why are we hell bent on improving?

Sickness, So GEJ should improve power supply to that world rate in 1 yr + of his administration? You naijas will always find fault. Tufiakwa
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by lagbajani(m): 7:26pm On Aug 13, 2012
SEEING IS BELIEVING. TIME WILL INDEED TELL....
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by talk2cj08(m): 8:29pm On Aug 13, 2012
atikubaba: Dont b deceived increase in water lever due to the season is wat brought abt d increase in Mega watt.u wil knw beta during dry season

Mumu what's ur point. My prayer for u is that u shall see it come to pass but u shall not partake in it. Like d prophet told that MUMU in d bible
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by talk2cj08(m): 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
Eziachi:
Should we thumb him down for the great olympic performance?
Tufiakwa must u type? fish brain undecided
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Krucifax(m): 9:56pm On Aug 13, 2012
Well i hope they truly deliver for once it would make a huge economical difference and encourage investment foreign and domestic.

Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by warrior01: 10:24pm On Aug 13, 2012
GAR3TH:

From what I remember reading OBJ was the one who commissioned the project and I also read that NIPP reached 75% completion during Yar'Adua's administration. During the present and past administrations the power plants was and still are under construction. But according to you, we should give GEJ all the credit even though he had nothing to do with the NIPP expect for being the one in office when it will be completed? That like the final runner in a relay race getting all the credit for finishing even though his teammates also ran with with the baton in the race.

My point is you and a few other people on Nairaland give GEJ waaaay to much credit. You also denounce and repudiate the positive things past administrations and opposition parties did. GEJ has projects of his own but not everything completed or commissioned by GEJ is made by him.
you wrote this? Never knew you're this stupid
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by 1025: 11:12pm On Aug 13, 2012
gboss4sure:

Sickness, So GEJ should improve power supply to that world rate in 1 yr + of his administration? You naijas will always find fault. Tufiakwa

if u say sickness, i quite agree with u because anything that makes u not to read before responding or reading without understanding is sickness. you are a good example of a very sick person. if you are in lagos, admit urself at the yaba rehab home.
i did not say jonathan shld give us light rather i said he shld tell nigerians when we will get light. if i tell u that i will give u light, it could be in the next 98 years and it could be in the next minute. i said he shld come out bold. i don't know ur age, but for me, i have been hearing such empty promises in the past from different rulers.
no be this same jonathan promised nollywood ppl $200million dollars and they were celebrating like most of u are here today but till now no news of the money. what about all the palliatives joe mentioned during the fuel subsidy? i remembered jonathan telling us that boko haram will finish by june and this is august abi na june 2013?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by clemzy012(m): 11:58pm On Aug 13, 2012
but bros frankly speaking angry shey na ur mouth be dat ni tongue
yuzedo: OBJ Laugh!
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by GAR3TH(m): 12:56am On Aug 14, 2012
gboss4sure:

You said 75% completion, so why didnt i start seeing improvements in powers supply then as i am seeing now?

Because it was 75% complete as in construction of the power plants was not complete. how will they generate electricity from power plants that are still under construction?

warrior01:
you wrote this? Never knew you're this stupid

Explain to me how and why my post "silly"?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by taharqa: 1:14am On Aug 14, 2012
I wrote this on a similar thread about 2 weeks ago- plz take particular note of the Privatization Timeline that the govt itself has amazingly(for a Nigerian Govt) religiously followed:

Power is actually improving at least I can attest to that. In Benin City for instance, people hardly use generators much as one now expects Power for at least 20hrs a day; and this has generally been the case since the middle of last year except for a period of time early this year when there was a general problem with electricity nationally. While one would still want to be cautiously optimist about this new improved situation cos this has happened before yet we went back to the old 'no light' situation later, it seem there really are NOW signs that perhaps this improvement is for real. There definitely is a better organized and focused Power Ministry that seem to be alive to its work and a Minister who has finally resolved to deal with many of the saboteurs we have in the system. For instance, the reaction to the dip in Power generation and distribution we experienced early this year was followed by the swift sack of the heads of TCN who the Minister accused of sabotage(since then there have been improvements). There also seem to have been improved Distribution and Transmission facilities than we had before such the end-users are getting much better power than the smaller increase in Generation would suggest.
SOURCE: http://www.informationnigeria.org/2012/04/govt-fires-phcn-chiefs-over-outage.html

[b]The really significant thing for me though is that the Power Reform Process seem to been going according to plan this time around and it seem very likely now that we would see the end of the Privatization Process before the end of October. Below is a sketch of some of the steps already taken 1. The passage of d Power Reform Bill some years ago(which laid the legal framework for the actors in the Power Sector) 2. The unbundling of PHCN into 18 holding companies last year. 3. The start of d new investment-leaning Tariff Structure this July(This honestly was the first REAL sign for me that the government was now serious in privatizing the sector). 4. The almost complete conclusion of the termination process of the current 'PHCN' workers prior to their selective re-absorption by the proposed new owners( though there seem to be some problems with the workers' Pensions at the moment). 5. The take-over of the Transmission Company by a well-known international company(MHI) so as to reorganized and manage it before handing it back to the govt(PS: Probably so that there will be less saboteurs in the system going forward, the minister insisted that MHI bring 8 senior staff who will take over the management of the company while current Nigerian management staff act as their assistants for the 3-year period) 6. The close of the submission of d bidding process for sale of d 17 Generation holding companies two weeks ago. 7. And just yesterday, the close of the submission of bids for the Distribution companies, again on schedule.[/b]

Just yesterday the govt insisted that the time-line WILL be followed(as they seem to have been doing) and have re-started the important dates again:

"Briefing newsmen at the end of the NCP meeting on Monday, the Director General for Bureau for Public Enterprises (BPE), Ms Bolanle Onagorowa, said that the July 31 deadline for the submission of the bids for the Distribution Company of the PHCN remained sacrosanct as the Council vowed to strictly adhere to its timeline on the exercise...BPE boss also stated that the Council would meet on August 24 to reveal the bidders that passed the technical evaluation for the Generation companies’ bidders. She also disclosed that the Council would meet on September 11 to reveal the list of bidders that passed technical evaluation for the Distribution Companies.
Onagoruwa also stated that the financial bids opening for the Generation companies will be on September 25, while financial bid opening for the Distribution companies will be on October, 8. She also added that the Council would give final approval for the commercial bids for Distribution Companies on October, 22.
SOURCE: http://www.worldstagegroup.com/worldstagenew/index.php?active=news&newscid=5519&catid=26

One can imagine what will happen if this process concludes and Power generation and Distribution is privatized. It is also great that States have finally been granted approvals to distribute the Power it generates directly to its citizens- this is not just great news for states like Rivers, Bayelsa and Akwa Ibom but will hopefully also create some sought of competition amongst other states who would then be 'blackmailed' into generating Power for their own people(either solely or more likely in conjunction with Private Investors).

IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT THIS PROCESS IS SEEN TO ITS LOGICAL CONCLUSION AS THIS MAY BE THE MOST IMPORTANT PROCESS THE NIGERIAN GOVERNMENT HAVE EVER TAKEN , AND IT IS HAPPENING BEFORE OUR VERY EYES. We should not forget these dates(August24, September 11, September 25, October 8, October 22) and should insist that they are followed through please. This is where we need the Critics the most.

PLEASE SHARE. Thanks

Please NOTE the dates(August24, September 11, September 25, October 8, October 22). Lets us plz keep them on their toes cos the Consequences(Positive) of this process completing is better imagined
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by drmax(m): 1:55am On Aug 14, 2012
Power supply in my area has improved tremendously. I pray this continues to improve. With the privatization of PHCN on course, i see GEJ's administration resolving power problems soon - successful privatization of PHCN would make this possible. Let us give GEJ our support, he needs it!
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by terrykarl(m): 2:44am On Aug 14, 2012
i can personally testify to the improved power supply in ma area,which has indeed impacted on ma productivity being a nocturnal person,kudos to gej
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Nobody: 6:23am On Aug 14, 2012
1025:

in a democratic setting, different individuals are allowed to say their different minds and as a nigerian, i have that freedom of expression which no other nigerian has the legitimate right to deny me not even the president, not even the TWO BLABBING FOOLS WHOSE MEETING PRODUCED U.
most of u just live and move by the crowd otherwise, answer the following questions;
1. what is megawatt and its implications on our day to day electricity usages?
2. what was the megawatts in place before the coming of jonathan and his team?
3. what are the necessary conditions for achieving an additional megawatt?
4. how long does it take to achieve one megawatt?
5. how much does it cost a govt to achieve 1 megawatt of electricity?

you are telling us how jonathan has achieved the unachievable in a shortwhile but for the sake of ur goat brains, electricity tariff has been increased twice in his short stay. fuel has been increased with a large percentage in his short stay. subsidy on fertilizers has been removed. subsidy on corruption has been removed and thereby making corruption a free for all games. have u bought fuel for the record price of 97 pump price even when those blabbing fools that gave rise to u were still young? even during the civil war in nigeria, did we have the record killings that we have had in his short stay? amsure if those blabbing fools of urs were victims of this madness in this country, u won't be here to insult my person.
nigerians from west, north and even asari dokubo are saying jonathan has failed and he shld resign. have u heard my name on any newspaper calling for his resignation? u represent nigeria very well because u sound to local and uninformed otherwise i will make u understand that in my whole life, i have contributed money for three transformers which by all standards are supposed to be phcn properties? outside nigeria, ppl don't know what a transformer is not to talk of owning or buying it in streets. things like u don't have know why such news are on air. barth and jonathan might be on their ways to increase the tarrif once again because nobody is complaining here.
i don't blame u so much because i am 100% convinced that u are simply ignorant but u can prove me wrong by answering those questions. i will be waiting.

You wanted to be like world class countries then you gat to pay the bill. Ask people living in top word class countries, electricity and fuel aint cheap.

1 Like

Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Nobody: 6:28am On Aug 14, 2012
GAR3TH:

Because it was 75% complete as in construction of the power plants was not complete. h[b]ow will they generate electricity from power plants that are still under construction[/b]?

but right now is not yet complete and am seeing improvements in power supply so wots happening, is it magic?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Modula(m): 7:23am On Aug 14, 2012
bull shit,as if we are not in nigeria 4237 my foot, for over seven months i never see nepa light and you da tell me say we go soon get nine thausand mega watts.rubish
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by 1025: 9:30am On Aug 14, 2012
gboss4sure:

You wanted to be like world class countries then you gat to pay the bill. Ask people living in top word class countries, electricity and fuel aint cheap.

uncle, in those countries, nobody pays for meter and wait for 2 yrs to receive same only for phcn workers to come up with crazy estimated bills. in those countries, u only pay for what you use not paying for what u don't use.
in my area here in Ajah lagos, there is improvement and i am one of those advantaged with this development but the fear of tomorrow is what i am talking about here.
we were all here when soludo and obasanjo came up with the bank solidification which we all celebrated like mad but how long did it take to expose the games of such un-solidified solidification?
when are we going to have a steady power supply for that we as a pupil will face other problems of this country? how long are we going to be talking about one problem(light). since i was born, it has been light everyday. the country is collapsing with the country doing nothing to stop the killings. maybe we will all die before we have steady power supply? what about the corrupt idiots in and around the govt? everyday, we talk and celebrate improvement. what is the major issue with this light? how come every other country of this world has light both the poor and the rich EXCEPT nigeria? come next year, we will come here again to celebrate the new improvement as we achieve 5237 megawatts. is anyone asking how much of our money is been spent to achieve these new heights. why is it that we are no longer discussing the road map this same jonathan made public in 2010?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by amaba: 10:15am On Aug 14, 2012
GEJ WILL DELIVER ON POWER & COME 2015 GOD WILLING U WILL REMAIN THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA UNOPPOSED IN 2015. AMEN AMEN AMEN...
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Kobojunkie: 11:12am On Aug 14, 2012
gboss4sure:

um . . . Remember when we were supposed to get 6000MW back in 2009, and it failed mostly because the Transmission problems had not been solved at the time too?

I mean what is up with the selective amnesia for pete's sake?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Kobojunkie: 11:17am On Aug 14, 2012
taharqa: Guy plz get yr info right. Obj only completed a few of d NIPP projects(and even dose plants dat were completd cud nt deliva power to d grid cos they 'forget' to connect gas facilities to them). When Obj left, Yar'adua did virtuali nothing to complete d projects(infact he stoppd it cos of d Power Probe tin, remember?). GEJ is nw completing d project, upgrading Transmission nd Distributn infrastructure nd supplying real power to people as well as Privatising d sector, nd here u are trying to tk d credit 4rm him yet u guys wud blame him 4 evri wrong time in d coun3(even if most happend b4 he came to power). By d way, if oda presidents hv bn continuing Projects they met as he is doing wud d coun3 be in its present state?

WOW . . . what tall tales we weave. Um . . .. most of the NIPP projects started in 2006. How could they have been ready to go online in less than 1 year(Obasanjo left in 2007).

Yar adua, I agree stalled on the projects during his probe of power sector but work was done during the Yar adua years. How else do you explain some of the projects going online in 2010/2011(yar adua died in 2010) ? Jonathan/Witch POWER ?
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Kobojunkie: 11:22am On Aug 14, 2012
jude33084:

Is τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ power not meant for τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ entire country? Where was it concentrated in SS, SW ΆŋԂ SE?

Is it safe Ť☺ do Ŧħåϯ?

I think the idea back then was to build them close to the gas supply needed. I remember reading some argument that building pipelines to other parts would be more expensive so situating a number of them in that area would be win-win for the zone and the country as a whole.
Re: Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency by Kobojunkie: 11:23am On Aug 14, 2012
[size=14pt]National Integrated Power Project[/size]

The NIPP was planned as a ‘Fast Track’ Project with 7 Power Stations conceived by the immediate past President Olusegun Obasanjo's Administration of the Federal Government of Nigeria to address the twin issues of low power generation and gas flaring from oil exploration in the Niger Delta region.

Power plants planned include:

1) Ihovbor Power Station Benin, Edo State with the capacity of 4 x 125MW

2) Calabar Power Station, Cross River State with the capacity of 5 x 125MW

3) Egbema Power Station, Imo State with the capacity of 3 x 125MW

4) Gbarain Power Station, Yenagoa, Bayelsa State with the capacity of 2 x 125MW

5) Sapele Power Station, Delta State with the capacity of 6 x 125MW

[size=13pt]Project Parties[/size]

Employer: Ministry of Energy (Power) Niger Delta Power Holding Company

Design Consultant: Lahmeyer/Otis Engineering (International/Local)

Project Consultancy: SeWa/AETS (APTEC Engineers Technical Services)- International/Local

EPC Contractor (BOP): Consortium of Marubeni Corporation of Japan and Marubeni (West Africa) Limited

OEM Contractor: General Electric Corporation of U.S.A

Commencement Date: 20th December 2005

Estimated Completion Date: 19th December 2008 (24 months Project Execution Period & 12 months Defect Liability Period) EPC Contractor (BOP)

[b]Commencement Date: [/b]16th February 2006 Estimated completion Date: 15th December 2007(22 months Project Execution Period)

This project was conceptualised as an intervention project to comprehensively address the state of electricity infrastructure in Nigeria. It is designed as a fast-track approach to improving the country‘s electricity power supply through the implementation of Generation, Transmission, Distribution and Gas Supply projects.

The main thrust of the project is the design, manufacture and supply of seven new Gas Turbine Power Plants with the provision for conversion to combined-cycle operation.
SeWa (previously STEAG Encotec West Africa) and APTEC were contracted as one of the Project Consultants of the Federal Government (Ministry of Power) for the power plants being built. The following are the services rendered:

i) Assist in EPC Contract Award

ii)Engineering design vetting

iii)Procurement Monitoring and Acceptance (FAT)

iv)Site erection supervision

v)Project management Owner’s Engineer duties

vi)Pre-commissioning and commissioning approval
vii)Technical support during Defects Liability Period (12 months)

Aptec Engineers Nigeria Limited (AENL)and Steag Encotec West Africa (SeWA) is the Consultant to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN)The parent body of the NIPP. PHCN started several power projects in 2004 to comprehensively address the state of the electricity infrastructure in the country with open cycle power plants. The Phase II Power Projects in Nigeria consisted of an extension of four Open Cycle Power Plants under construction to Combined Cycle plants.

After several technical studies were completed, the project changed course to increase power output and improve thermal efficiency. After several adjustments, the total additional Phase II power plant output will contribute to increase total generation in Nigeria by 2,430MW.
SeWa was also contracted as Consultant by Power Holding Company Nigerian (PHCN) for the extension to combined cycle of four plants built under Phase I.

The following are the services rendered:

Review of Contractor’s Technical and Financial proposals
Advise on adequacy of Contractor’s Technical proposal
Negotiate total Phase II budgetary price
Recommendation of Phase II Project Cost
Represent Client as Owner’s Engineer
Preparation of Contract Documents

The Ministry of Power working with various engineering companies is supporting this national presidential vision and initiative.
For clarification, SeWa and APTEC are individual companies sharing some management and financial resources. APTEC is incorporated both in Nigeria and UK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Integrated_Power_Project

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake / BREAKING: Pictures Of The Mosque Burnt By IPOB Protesters In Onitsha / Military Pensioners Protest In Abuja Over Non-payment Of Pension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.