Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,821 members, 7,824,412 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake (11754 Views)

With 221 Killed Since May 29, Is Boko Haram Back In Full Force?-"cablenews / Checkout The T-shirts Trending Towards Democracy Day May 29th. / Tinubu: "Election Postponement Is Democracy At Gunpoint" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by camelus: 6:29pm On Jun 10, 2013
Nobel Laurent, Professor Wole Soyinka, has affirmed that June 12 and not May 29 should be marked as Nigeria’s democracy day.

Speaking at a forum in Lagos over the weekend, Prof Soyinka described the May 29 celebration by federal government as ‘fake’, saying that “June 12 is the real democracy day.”

He also made jest of his ‘grounded plane and helicopter’ ahead of a planned flight to celebrate June 12 abroad.

Nigeria has celebrated the return of civil rule on 29th of May, since 1999 when the newly elected President Olusegun Obasanjo, was sworn in after over 30 years of military rule. The day was tagged, Democracy Day.

June 12 is the date renowned for Nigeria’s most credible, free and fair election in 1993 when late MKO Abiola was elected President.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dUyYva-Dho

http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/06/10/june-12-is-democracy-day-may-29-is-fake-soyinka/
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by joeyfire(m): 6:34pm On Jun 10, 2013
Yes na. The May 29th holiday was just Obj's normal spite for abiola and a predictable tendency to personalise institutions, otherwise why just use the date you were sworn in
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Willy7(m): 7:56pm On Jun 10, 2013
I like this man,but i think he is becoming an intellectual burden to the nation.Was june 12 the only day in history election was done or military handed over to civilian in Nigeria?Wheather june 12 or May 29,the ordinary man dont care.All we need is dividends of democracy.Abeg make we hear word joor.

17 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jun 10, 2013
I agree with him

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Afam4eva(m): 12:14am On Jun 11, 2013
How can June 12 be democracy day? What's even the rationale behind such thoughts.

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: How can June 12 be democracy day? What's even the rationale of such thoughts.
It was the day the government of the people by the people and for the people was elected.And this is what democracy meansy

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 12:31am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: How can June 12 be democracy day? What's even the rationale of such thoughts.
It was the day the government of the people by the people and for the people was elected.And this is what democracy means
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Afam4eva(m): 12:32am On Jun 11, 2013
ezex:
It was the day the government of the people by the people and for the people was elected.And this is what democracy meansy
So, is that the only day that suits that description?

Personally, i think democracy day should be the first day Nigerians were allowed to vote. It's myopic to accredit such a title to June 12. It's ridiculously preposterous.

7 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Jglad(f): 2:03pm On Jun 11, 2013
Since d election den was declared void den i dnt tink d date should b of any relevance to Nigerians... It doesn't matter any more so CAN WE JST FACE D FUTURE ELECTIONS PLS?

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by francis247(m): 2:04pm On Jun 11, 2013
Willy7: I like this man,but i think he is becoming an intellectual burden to the nation.Was june 12 the only day in history election was done or military handed over to civilian in Nigeria?Wheather june 12 or May 29,the ordinary man dont care.All we need is dividends of democracy.Abeg make we hear word joor.
Well said. Whether Jan. 1st or Dec. 31st, the most important thing is that the annointing of democracy is felt by Nigerians. Soyinka is seeking too much attention these days.

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by nig2change: 2:06pm On Jun 11, 2013
June 12 is just media hype. Dividends of democracy is what matters.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by AbuMikey(m): 2:06pm On Jun 11, 2013
I can't argue over this!! *moves out of thread with swag*
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by dave2(m): 2:12pm On Jun 11, 2013
What's June 12th na
Some people claimed MKO won the elections, but was he ever declared as winner?
So, on what grounds should we mark June 12 as democracy day na? angry angry angry angry
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 2:13pm On Jun 11, 2013
Eyah Wole Soyinka the Nobel prize winner, you want to use Abiola remembrance to further tribalize Nigeria?
Na wa ohhh.
But come to think of it, it was OBJ a Yoruba that declared May 29 as Democracy Day........ Abi OBJ no be true Yoruba son.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by ebamma3: 2:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
dave2: What's June 12th na
Some people claimed MKO won the elections, but was he ever declared as winner?
So, on what grounds should we mark June 12 as democracy day na? angry angry angry angry
read some history boy
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva:

Personally, i think democracy day should be the first day Nigerians were allowed to vote. It's myopic to accredit such a title to June 12. It's ridiculously preposterous.

Since it's myopic to you,how about Nigerians recognise 15th January 1966 as democracy day instead simply because some eastern soldiers felt disgruntled at the attitude of the civilian government and initiated a coup.I guess this won't be outrageous to you either !

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by madamoringo(f): 2:16pm On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva:

Knock it off! You are a tribalist and you know why you would rather not consider June 12 Democracy day! It screams everything about the icon of that struggle, Chief M.K.O Abiola, a Yorubaman, Aare Ona Kakanfo! Recognizing such a day goes completely against the propagandist narrative that your tribe, the ibos, are special or better than every other part of Nigeria! Chief Abiola chose rather to return to Nigeria and resolutely defend a mandate given by the people to the end, this is something any Ibo man will NEVER do or has ever done! This is why you'd rather not have or mention June 12 and Democracy day in the same sentence! It doesn't matter anyway! For most right thinking people with a mind for equity, justice and egalitarianism, they will recognize that June 12 and Chief Abiola are iconic, and though they may be upset that Yoruba Military Generals and Commanders stopped anything called biafra and the strongest ibo man ever known Ojukwu fled cross-dressed as a pussi-sissy for over a decade (13 years), Chief Abiola deserves A LOT OF credit and recognition for paying the supreme price and sacrificing himself for the struggle! I bet you were a little kid or unborn in those dark days for then, you would have an idea of how a society could be oppressed under tyrannical leadership!

If you live in the South West of the Yoruba, a people who were already in civilization during the medieval times, a confident, measured and proudly proud of their ancestral heritage, the sacrifice of their fathers, a sophisticated, astute and militarily superior people, you will have to observe our holidays! grin grin If you don't like it, go back to whatever backwater burg you sprang from!

31 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by ucnduka(f): 2:17pm On Jun 11, 2013
who cares if democracy day is 12th june or may 29? As long as dt day is declared public holiday,I'm ok...

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by dave2(m): 2:17pm On Jun 11, 2013
ebamma 3: read some history boy

What history grandpa? Tell me, history teacher.
You guys are just being sentimental about this whole thing of June 12.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 2:23pm On Jun 11, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Since it's myopic to you,how about Nigerians recognise 15th January 1966 as democracy day instead simply because some eastern soldiers felt disgruntled at the attitude of the civilian government and initiated a coup.I guess this won't be outrageous to you either !
Oga, it was a Yoruba son of the soil that declared 29 May as Democracy day.
You people should complaint to GENERAL OBASANJO

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Pee2k3: 2:24pm On Jun 11, 2013
Prof pls wake up frm ur sleep
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by orelove4liff: 2:25pm On Jun 11, 2013
Nigeria is nt one! Tribalism at work on dis thread.igbo and hausa ppl are againstin it while yorubas are supportin it.if to say na ojukwu issue,igbo go support am and yoruba go against am.and if to say na Buhari issue,igbos and yorubas go support am.na turn by turn.ojukwu issue go stil come up very soon and yorubas go hav opportunity to comment against it.as for me o,june 12 is d demo day!

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by taiyesoul(f): 2:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
Willy7: I like this man,but i think he is becoming an intellectual burden to the nation.Was june 12 the only day in history election was done or military handed over to civilian in Nigeria?Wheather june 12 or May 29,the ordinary man dont care.All we need is dividends of democracy.Abeg make we hear word joor.

"intellectual burden?",who the hell are u?.Refering to a Nobel Laurette as an "intellectual burden?".Can u stand him in any way?.who the hell are u?.Has your eduactional background surpassed his acheivement?.70 years ago,where were u?.Dont u have manners at all?.A man like Soyinka stressing the significance and importance of Nigeria's cradle of democratic governance and a demented mind like yours could make such utterances about him!.I guess you are being tribalistic and miopic here.if you need the dividends of democracy,why not contact Jonathan?.No be una vote am there?.Sit there pursuing your shadow,waiting for what your country can do for you rather than what you can do to make a difference.

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 2:26pm On Jun 11, 2013
madam_oringo:

Knock it off! You are a tribalist and you know why you would rather not consider June 12 Democracy day! It screams everything about the icon of that struggle, Chief M.K.O Abiola, a Yorubaman, Aare Ona Kakanfo! Recognizing such a day goes completely against the propagandist narrative that your tribe, the ibos, are special or better than every other part of Nigeria!

It was General Obasanjo that declared May 29 as Democracy day, and the last time I checked he is still a Yoruba Man.

8 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by usmanktg2(m): 2:28pm On Jun 11, 2013
if u like make it for judgement day...
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by myweb(m): 2:28pm On Jun 11, 2013
ANOTHER E-CIVIL WAR IS STARTING...WATCH IT OOOOOO. I DON TALK MY OWN OO

My 2 cents

**Shuts doors***
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
dave2:

What history grandpa? Tell me, history teacher.
You guys are just being sentimental about this whole thing of June 12.

Sentimental about what ? OBJ handed over to shagari in 1979 and that day didn't earn the title of democracy day,what's special about May 29 when Abdul salam handed over to him ? Did you know how many igbos and northerners including yorubas that die because of June 12 ? Well I won't blame you lots,you lacked knowledge of history possibly you weren't even born then and was only being told what happened but your in-born hatred for yorubas won't let you learn from history.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by taiyesoul(f): 2:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
francis247: Well said. Whether Jan. 1st or Dec. 31st, the most important thing is that the annointing of democracy is felt by Nigerians. Soyinka is seeking too much attention these days.

Seeking too much attention when he can even write your own history with his pen?. A Nobel laurette seeking attention for what?.why?.Mtsheeeew

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by soyad: 2:29pm On Jun 11, 2013
The problem we have in this country is that we have a group of people who do not think alike . Some are progressive minded while the others are either ethnic or tribal jingoist . For anybody to denounce the intelligence of Wole Soyinka is complete lunancy.

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by antifat(m): 2:30pm On Jun 11, 2013

Why don't u become an intellectual burden so people can celebrate u arnd d world.
JUNE 12 is d day democracy was made but so bad Nigerian's cudnt make it a reality

''Wheather''

1 Like

Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by Abali1(m): 2:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
taiyesoul:

"intellectual burden?",who the hell are u?.Refering to a Nobel Laurette as an "intellectual burden?".Can u stand him in any way?.who the hell are u?.Has your eduactional background surpassed his acheivement?.70 years ago,where were u?.Dont u have manners at all?.A man like Soyinka stressing the significance and importance of Nigeria's cradle of democratic governance and a demented mind like yours could make such utterances about him!.I guess you are being tribalistic and miopic here.if you need the dividends of democracy,why not contact Jonathan?.No be una vote am there?.Sit there pursuing your shadow,waiting for what your country can do for you rather than what you can do to make a difference.
If OBJ thought that the Nobel Laurette's opinion was necessary, why then did he not listen to the ALMIGHTY KONGI?
Abeg ohhh, leave Igbos out of this. It was OBJ that decided to give Nigeria29 May as democracy day.
Re: Soyinka - June 12 Is Democracy Day, May 29 Is Fake by antifat(m): 2:32pm On Jun 11, 2013
soyad: The problem we have in this country is that we have a group of people who do not think alike . Some are progressive minded while the others are either ethnic or tribal jingoist . For anybody to denounce the intelligence of Wole Soyinka is complete lunancy.

Dats really nice,u've made a point I second dat

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

‘Why Bitumen Exploration Is Just Taking Off In Ondo’ / Reps To Increase Supreme Court Justices From 21 To 41 / Illegal Immigrants From Niger Caught With Nigerian Voter Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.