Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,315 members, 7,867,839 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 04:25 AM

If I Were President Of Nigeria! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If I Were President Of Nigeria! (642 Views)

If I Were You,i'd Be Too Ashamed To Mock Change: Oby Ezekwesili (photo) / Bukola Saraki Is The Senate President Of The 8th NASS / I Would‘ve Fired Diezani If I Were President – Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If I Were President Of Nigeria! by Stallion77(f): 12:05pm On Aug 13, 2012
hmmn...thats a great office indeed,i just tried to put my self in the shoes of being the President of this great Naija and wondered how it would feel like in this present time and the imaginations kept pouring in that one could go crazy!
I thought of the health sector,making the country malaria free...i just thot that was quite an impossible feat,then i also thot of the labour unions creeping up my a*se everytime someone i put in one sector to manage it messes up, then i thot of making sure the Nigerian image is not tarnished in world politics so that investors are not discouraged,then i thot of cabals of former presidents, and how to reduce their grip on the Nigerian economy & politics. Then i thought of making sure the military are well catered for, to make them always pro-democracy without thoughts of coup. Infact i am already tired of the job already by just mere thinking about it!
have you ever thought of being the president of Naija? what were your thots especially in her present situation? Try it.
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by Josydaky(f): 12:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
To be sincere, the post of a president is not an easy job.
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by engrtee(f): 12:54pm On Aug 13, 2012
I wil first ban oil exploration, refining and exportation and focus on AGRICULTURE
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by Stallion77(f): 12:59pm On Aug 13, 2012
engrtee: I wil first ban oil exploration, refining and exportation and focus on AGRICULTURE

ok...so how are you sure that will not plunge the country into more debt cos as clear as it is, thats our major source of income and we are still owing!!!
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by KiKatanga: 1:33pm On Aug 13, 2012
Politics:
Hold a referendum in the Northern states asking them whether they want to stay party of Nigeria. Respect the result.
Redact or rescind all laws referring to tribal origin or statehood.
Create a system to allow corrupt politicians to be named and shamed with a minimum 5 year prison and enforced bankruptcy, along with a reward system for those who report them.
Any government official soliciting a bribe to be struck off and prohibited from working in the public sector.

Economy:
Remove fuel subsidy
Cut wages for politicians to a maximum of $80,000 (a reduction of 99.4% in some cases)
Require up to 10% duty on all foreign made goods for which a reputable Nigerian or West African Source exists
Increase VAT to 10%
Electric, Water, Gas, Oil to be owned by the state with expertise hired in from major international companies and friendly governments

Education:
Free education to 18
2 hours of sports per week
Testing on the International Baccalaureate
Universities must employ federal invigilators for exams
Invest in new agricultural colleges
Create boarding schools for orphans
Mandatory teaching of personal and social education including contraception and the spread of aids.
Sports academies for those with specific talents who have won events at regional or national level.
More ICT, Agriculture/Biology and Engineering taught in Schools with free university for Science Technology Engineering and Maths Students

Infrastucture
Put the unemployed to work building sewers, roads, prisons.
Invest in railways
Build farmers' markets.
Investigate solar, wave and Tidal power.
Invest in internet connectivity.
Create tram systems along major urban routes and create car free zones in the cities and bypasses around cities.
Stricter driving licence testing

Religion
Require that all Churches and Mosques accepting tithes register with the government and that they issue tithers with receipts - the actions from the tithes must be made public.
Require that all churches and mosques be fit for purpose.

Social:
Criminalise begging
Require all police officers to carry a recording and transmitting CCTV camera at all times whilst on duty
All complaints against the police must be recorded and investigated by an independent body.
Secret Service to be given the task of infiltrating any and all terrorist groups.

Should be a start.

See how well the projects are proceeding and change where necessary.
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by HammedSodiqq: 1:37pm On Aug 13, 2012
I will adopt GEJ's Tranformation Agenda. With it, a near perfect society can emerge.
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by Stallion77(f): 1:45pm On Aug 13, 2012
Ki-Katanga:
Politics:
Hold a referendum in the Northern states asking them whether they want to stay party of Nigeria. Respect the result.
Redact or rescind all laws referring to tribal origin or statehood.
Create a system to allow corrupt politicians to be named and shamed with a minimum 5 year prison and enforced bankruptcy, along with a reward system for those who report them.
Any government official soliciting a bribe to be struck off and prohibited from working in the public sector.

Economy:
Remove fuel subsidy
Cut wages for politicians to a maximum of $80,000 (a reduction of 99.4% in some cases)
Require up to 10% duty on all foreign made goods for which a reputable Nigerian or West African Source exists
Increase VAT to 10%
Electric, Water, Gas, Oil to be owned by the state with expertise hired in from major international companies and friendly governments

Education:
Free education to 18
2 hours of sports per week
Testing on the International Baccalaureate
Universities must employ federal invigilators for exams
Invest in new agricultural colleges
Create boarding schools for orphans
Mandatory teaching of personal and social education including contraception and the spread of aids.
Sports academies for those with specific talents who have won events at regional or national level.
More ICT, Agriculture/Biology and Engineering taught in Schools with free university for Science Technology Engineering and Maths Students

Infrastucture
Put the unemployed to work building sewers, roads, prisons.
Invest in railways
Build farmers' markets.
Investigate solar, wave and Tidal power.
Invest in internet connectivity.
Create tram systems along major urban routes and create car free zones in the cities and bypasses around cities.
Stricter driving licence testing

Religion
Require that all Churches and Mosques accepting tithes register with the government and that they issue tithers with receipts - the actions from the tithes must be made public.
Require that all churches and mosques be fit for purpose.

Social:
Criminalise begging
Require all police officers to carry a recording and transmitting CCTV camera at all times whilst on duty
All complaints against the police must be recorded and investigated by an independent body.
Secret Service to be given the task of infiltrating any and all terrorist groups.

Should be a start.

jeez! have you been thinking about it too?? You brought out a manifestoe/ action plan! i admire that... wink
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by yanni1(m): 2:11pm On Aug 13, 2012
Stallion77: hmmn...thats a great office indeed,i just tried to put my self in the shoes of being the President of this great Naija and wondered how it would feel like in this present time and the imaginations kept pouring in that one could go crazy!
I thought of the health sector,making the country malaria free...i just thot that was quite an impossible feat,then i also thot of the labour unions creeping up my a*se everytime someone i put in one sector to manage it messes up, then i thot of making sure the Nigerian image is not tarnished in world politics so that investors are not discouraged,then i thot of cabals of former presidents, and how to reduce their grip on the Nigerian economy & politics. Then i thought of making sure the military are well catered for, to make them always pro-democracy without thoughts of coup. Infact i am already tired of the job already by just mere thinking about it!
have you ever thought of being the president of Naija? what were your thots especially in her present situation? Try it.

sorry babe...you cant be, so stop worrying ur head.
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by Stallion77(f): 2:54pm On Aug 13, 2012
yanni.:

sorry babe...you cant be, so stop worrying ur head.

A typical Nairalander for u! dont like to think...
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by apala911: 3:19pm On Aug 13, 2012
Boy! No be easy thing oooo, but I go first ensure steady power supply, reduce d pump price of fuel, close the income gap between the poor and the rich. Zero tolerance for corruption and enhance security of lives and properties to allow for direct foreign investment
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by KiKatanga: 3:28pm On Aug 13, 2012
apala911: Boy! No be easy thing oooo, but I go first ensure steady power supply, reduce d pump price of fuel, close the income gap between the poor and the rich. Zero tolerance for corruption and enhance security of lives and properties to allow for direct foreign investment

Reducing the price of fuel costs money. Whatever else you want to do, you have to do less if you pay a subsidy for the fuel.

Let the fuel cost exactly what it's worth: no subsidy, but no tax.

You people are spending $13,000,000,000 a year on subsidising fuel! Just imagine what you could do with that!

And of course, because you aren't intelligent enough to refine your own fuel on an industrial scale, you're paying all of that to foreign companies, even if they are selling your own oil back to you.

Nigeria is completely condemned by people who are so short termist it's untrue. I disagree with so much that GEJ has (or hasn't) done, but the cutting fuel subsidy, the one thing that allowed Nigeria to invest properly in its own future was the right thing to do.

When they u-turned on it, it became pretty clear that as an investor, there's no point getting involved because the country is pretending to be a developed country playing party politics before it's started to rebuild from a wasted half century.

I get angry because of what Nigeria could be, but it keeps disappointing.
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by Euroclydon(m): 6:01pm On Aug 13, 2012
apala911: Boy! No be easy thing oooo, but I go first ensure steady power supply, reduce d pump price of fuel, close the income gap between the poor and the rich. Zero tolerance for corruption and enhance security of lives and properties to allow for direct foreign investment

Talk is cheap!
Re: If I Were President Of Nigeria! by BlackMamba2: 6:11pm On Aug 13, 2012
HammedSodiqq: I will adopt GEJ's Tranformation Agenda. With it, a near perfect society can emerge.

Good point but BH has taken over the transformation. Now they are the talk of the town.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor W F Kumuyi Urges Government To Tackle Kilings / Truth , Nigerian History / ‘tompolo, Dokubo Get N5bn To Guard Pipes’ : Report Says NNPC Also Paid Boyloaf,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.