Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,500 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks (9708 Views)

Federal Mortgage Bank Of Nigeria In Crisis Over Appointment Of Richard Esin As A / FG Issues 20 Licences To Independent Power Producers (IPPs) / CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by mukina2: 6:56pm On Aug 13, 2012
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) may have began a clampdown on Primary Mortgage Banks (PMBs) that ceased to carry mortgage business for which they were licensed.

The development is on the heels of new regulatory guidelines for PMBs aimed at recapitalising and repositioning them as specialized banks through the Other Financial Institutions Supervision Department (OFID) of the CBN. Under the new capital requirement, state and national PMBs will shore up their shareholders fund to the tune of N2.5 billion and N5 billion respectively, with compliance date fixed as April 2013.

Among, the mortgage operators, it is known fact the sector is facing a harsh economic down turn, notwithstanding the global economic crisis as the scarcity of long-term funds are hitting them hard. The short-term funds are mostly sourced from the money market, where commercial banks also complete for funds.

Their cash flow is also hampered by their inability to tap into the National Housing Fund (NHF) for their contributors through FMBN, and becoming a window for the collection of the fund, which has prompted umbrella body of the mortgage banks -Mortgage Banking Association of Nigeria (MBAN) to liaise with CBN and local financial institutions and international development agencies in planning to float a liquidity facility company.

In fact, at the last count, The Guardian learnt about 25 mortgage banks have fallen to the hammer of CBN recently, the firms include those that have unexpectedly closed shops. They ceased to carry on the business for which they were licensed for a continuous period of six months, which contravened Section 12 of the Banks and Other Financial Institutions Act of 1991 and Section 20(iii) of the Guidelines for Primary Mortgage Institutions in Nigeria.

Official estimates show that about 65 PMBs were in operation before the recent withdrawal of licenses, which may have further dip the number of operators to about 40 banks. But operators say the figures are much more lower than that number. About 292 PMBs were licensed between 1990 and 1998.

In July 1997, the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN), which later handed over 195 firms to CBN in 1998, revoked the licenses of 97 of the firms. The initial minimum share capital for PMBs was N5 million, rising first to N20 million and later N100 million.

Statistics released by CBN shows that loan and advances in the sector between 2008, 2009 and 2010 are N108, 531,488, N121, 290,217 and N124, 165,992 respectively; deposits for he same period are N166, 234,932, N151, 122,301 and N168, 577,083 respectively and shareholders funds are N70, 345,140,N86, 614,813 and N80, 341,095 respectively.

Specifically, among the licenses withdrawn is 16 Primary Mortgage Institutions that failed to meet CBN’s stipulated 30-days deadline to show proof of their existence and/or evidence of operations in the immediate past one year, recently.

In the course of the recent examination of all licensed Primary Mortgage Institutions (PMIs) carried out by the CBN, 16 PMIs were not found at their last known addresses. In addition, these institutions have failed to render monthly returns to the CBN for at least six consecutive months, in contravention of Section 58 (1) and (4) of the BOFIA, 1991.

The affected PMIs include Acclaim Homes Savings and Loans Limited; Allwell Savings and Loans Limited; Citihomes Savings and Loans Limited; Credence Savings and Loans Limited; Estaport Building Society Limited; Futureview Mortgages Limited; Guardian Trust Savings and Loans Limited; and Hallmark Home Savings and Loans Limited.

Others are Home Trust Savings and Loans Limited; Horizon Building Society Limited; Imani Savings and Loans Limited; New Capital Savings and Loans Limited; New Prudential Building Society Limited; Owners Home Savings and Loans Limited; Peak Savings and Loans Limited; and Sakkwato Savings and Loans Limited

http://businessnews.com.ng/2012/08/13/cbn-revokes-licences-for-25-mortgage-banks/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=cbn-revokes-licences-for-25-mortgage-banks
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by RichDad1(m): 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2012
Most of this Mortgage Banks are as good as dead already. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by manny4life(m): 7:21pm On Aug 13, 2012
OK... Coming back with a comment.
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by ifyalways(f): 7:23pm On Aug 13, 2012
I'm quite surprised to see "Allwell" in the list undecided
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by Nwogbe: 7:23pm On Aug 13, 2012
Interesting
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by manny4life(m): 7:25pm On Aug 13, 2012
Back...

What kind of mortgage banks have a market capital of N5million? Isn't that too small? Besides, how do these "mortgage banks" raise money? What kind of mortgage do they deal with, how is their operations like?

1 Like

Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 13, 2012
Nigerians are just too smart to part away with their Cash for an imported giant ponzi scheme a.k.a mortgage.

Save your money; buy or build your own house with cash or continue paying rent and have rest of mind.

Sanusi; pat on your back. Well done.
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by acidtalk: 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2012
manny4life: Back...

What kind of mortgage banks have a market capital of N5million? Isn't that too small? Besides, how do these "mortgage banks" raise money? What kind of mortgage do they deal with, how is their operations like?

With N5million naira they can borrow 5,000 market women N10,000 each to restock their kiosk with biscuits and sweets.

Soon we will see people coming out to scream people loosing their jobs and Sanusi's bad policies whereas we fail to realize that these financial institutions collects loans from CBN and then channel such monies into their private extravagant lifestyle.

Most of this fake Mortgage houses own hectares of land around ikorodu, ofada and mowe yet they don't have the right documents from the state government, as such dupe unsuspecting people with such land advert only to find out that 10years after purchase you can't still develop or start construction work on your plot.

Enough cleansing needs to be done across every sector of the Nigerian Economy.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 13, 2012
Next in line.......

All these mushroom microfinance banks...

That only give loans to people with 10 heads and businesses the size of Trade fair.
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by manny4life(m): 7:45pm On Aug 13, 2012
Olodostein: Nigerians are just too smart to part away with their Cash for an imported giant ponzi scheme a.k.a mortgage.

Save your money; buy or build your own house with cash or continue paying rent and have rest of mind.

Sanusi; pat on your back. Well done.

They're smart not to part their money, YET same people run to banks for loans at double digits interest rates? Same folks will collateralize their properties (land and fixed assets) to get money from banks, and you say they're to smart to part away with their own money? Financing is DEFINITELY not for everyone, an average income earner will NEVER save nough to buy a home in the next 20years because of human nature and seen and unforeseen commitments.

How do you mean by imported giant ponzi scheme? undecided undecided undecided

Save your money? How much are you gonna save? In how many years? Come on man, for real?

Anyway, be it as it may, if there are ethical and financial justification for their closure, then I'm all for it.

1 Like

Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 13, 2012
Next in line.......

All these mushroom microfinance banks...

That only give loans to people with 10 heads and businesses the size of Trade fair.

When market women or poor farmers ask for loan, they request for collateral like house or what have you.

Na wetin mama nkechi wey dey sell ugu 4 market, mai gworo or iya ewa go do ?

Misplaced priorities !!
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by manny4life(m): 7:49pm On Aug 13, 2012
acidtalk:

With N5million naira they can borrow 5,000 market women N10,000 each to restock their kiosk with biscuits and sweets.

Soon we will see people coming out to scream people loosing their jobs and Sanusi's bad policies whereas we fail to realize that these financial institutions collects loans from CBN and then channel such monies into their private extravagant lifestyle.

Unfortunately, this is not the case; to my understanding, mortgage bank DO NOT engage such types of operations, isn't that the business of micro finance banks and small capital banks? Mortgage banks invest/buy/finance mortgage related real estate, so I'm surprised how the market capital is N5million.

1 Like

Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 13, 2012
manny4life:

They're smart not to part their money, YET same people run to banks for loans at double digits interest rates? Same folks will collateralize their properties (land and fixed assets) to get money from banks, and you say they're to smart to part away with their own money? Financing is DEFINITELY not for everyone, an average income earner will NEVER save nough to buy a home in the next 20years because of human nature and seen and unforeseen commitments.

How do you mean by imported giant ponzi scheme? undecided undecided undecided

Save your money? How much are you gonna save? In how many years? Come on man, for real?

Anyway, be it as it may, if there are ethical and financial justification for their closure, then I'm all for it.

Before one engages in a business such as this, do not only look at the prons but also at the psyche of the average Nigerian comsumer.

The average Nigerian man believe in buying his property with cash. If there was anything like mortgage, the system isn't ripe for it.

Unsurprisingly, the western world is still yet to recover from the shock in the housing market.

How can I pay my mortgage for years and wake up oneday to a valueless property with home equity virtually wiped out ?

I am quite sure you know how ponzi scheme works, especially for the average Joe's.

We need our own unique economic system. Culture and social attitudes plays a key role in how economy and business systems works.

1 Like

Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by meksroland: 8:50pm On Aug 13, 2012
Sanusi is a copy and paste CBN governor. He's not adding anything jare instead suffering and joblessleness
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by kenbee(f): 12:50am On Aug 14, 2012
What the essence of shooting a dead dog? Think ''All well savings & loans limited'' were non operational some eighteen years back. May be, CBN wants to score some cheap point here.
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by coolheed: 1:46am On Aug 14, 2012
kenbee: What the essence of shooting a dead dog? Think ''All well savings & loans limited'' were non operational some eighteen years back. May be, CBN wants to score some cheap point here.

I think he is not shooting a dead dog here. As a regulator he is just announcing the obituary of the dog so that an ignorant man on the street will not see this dog and start shouting "BINGO".
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by Chylo(m): 2:37am On Aug 14, 2012
manny4life:

Unfortunately, this is not the case; to my understanding, mortgage bank DO NOT engage such types of operations, isn't that the business of micro finance banks and small capital banks? Mortgage banks invest/buy/finance mortgage related real estate, so I'm surprised how the market capital is N5million.

Please re-read the story, it is 5 billion, and not 5 million.

Thank you.
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by anicho(m): 4:14am On Aug 14, 2012
It's high time people's money are kept safe and working, not one poor bank(shop) closing up and running away with people's hard earned cash.... But i make cash easy. Check my signature.
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by jakaiso(m): 6:05am On Aug 14, 2012
Im sorry-but why dont people take the time to read things through.

The N5 Million was the initial capital requirment 15 Years ago- (1997) and it seemed to have been raised to N100 million within a year (though the article is not clear about this).
In 1997 a dollar was not only N75-the rent on my Uncle's 3 bedroom apartment in Ojodu was N30,000 a year. When I took over the apartment in 2002 it had became N110,000-now its close to N250,000.
So N5 million in 1997 (likely) had the purchasing power of 2012's N100 million.

The dates and figures in the article could be wrong-but thats what I have based my submission upon.
Re: CBN Revokes Licences Of 25 Mortgage Banks by pcicero(m): 2:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
ifyalways: I'm quite surprised to see "Allwell" in the list undecided

Well, it has shown that all is not well after all.

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Retrieve My Airtel Sim Without Sim Pack / Konga Appoints Ex-Nokia VP as CEO / What Is The Meaning Of Bank Consolidation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.