Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,132 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Moving Back To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Moving Back To Nigeria (3490 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Is The Uk Worth Staying In Anymore Or Should One Consider Moving Back To Nigeria / Do You Ever Think Of Moving Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Moving Back To Nigeria by lolafaj: 11:29pm On Aug 13, 2012
I am a Nigerian living in the USA and looking to move back home. I am 28 years old, have my MBA in Strategic Management and a BS in Accounting all from the USA. I have worked in corporate America for about 6 years. My motivation to move back home is to get back into the Nigerian system before I get too old. I would like to gradually settle in - possibly find a job first and then eventually start my own business. I don’t want to be like Nigerians that have been in the USA for several decades and have nothing to show for it. I have not been home in 12 years mainly because my siblings are all outside the country and my dad comes to visit us.

I have a really young family: my husband is Nigerian and we have a 1 year old “baby”. I keep hearing Nigeria has changed, and that I should make more frequent trips home to start getting used to the system again. I am a citizen of the USA so shuttling between both countries should not be an issue in the future.

My question: should I stay in the USA, get my accounting certification and PHD before moving home. Or get a job in Nigeria and move home within the next year or two? I know getting a job in Nigeria could be a nightmare but hey…

Please help!

I love reading this forum.

4 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 1:26am On Aug 14, 2012
1. Has your husband agreed to move back with you.

I am going to be honest, moving back is no easy feat. If you live and work around Ikoyi, VI, or Lekki you should be fine. Living on the island and working on the main land is hmmm...chaotic.

Depends on the company you work for. What's wrong in living in America for many years....ok, you want to do business. Working in Nigeria is not easy. It is best if you just leave here to start yout business. Go head on.

Working in Nigeria, if you are not working for a foreign or reputable company is like slavery. No professionalism.

My best advice, why not go visit first for a month or so and see how you can manage. Or start working on small projects. Wish you luck in your decision.

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 1:28am On Aug 14, 2012
I don't know how to advice you.

1. Get a phD and work at a University like convenant

Or get a job (working in Nigeria is tough).
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by yemmyma: 3:47am On Aug 14, 2012
Here goes another one...

Is it not this same America? resident Nigerians beat their chest about making $160,000 annually in the oil sector?
Is it not the same America? Nigerians get better jobs than those in U.K and Europe?

I wonder why they won't have anything to show for it. I only hope the Op can explain more what she meant by 'show for it'

And for moving back to Nigeria, you better don't go with the 'crowd mentality' of doing like others.

Happiness should always be separated from money. Especially when you have got enough to keep body and soul together in the U.S.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by deenee: 7:39am On Aug 14, 2012
@ yemmy_ma, different strokes for different folks! I don't think it is appropriate to discourage the poster. What we need to is provide unbiased information so that the poster will make an informed decision. No doubt, Nigeria is a TOUGH place to live and do business but one ironic question I keep asking is how come we have Americans, Chinese, Indians and other foreignn n nationalities doing business in our supposedly harsh business environ and yet they are raking in big bucks?

let me outline some names for you to back up my claim

De-United Foods trading under Multipro makers of the popular indomie noodles is owned by Indians. Chivita owned by Indians. WAMPCO is owned by Chinese. Oriental and Marcopolo owned by the Chinese. Stallion group owned by the popular Vaswani brothers. Park and shop - Indians, chocolate Royale- Lebanese, Mega Plaza- Isreali. I can go on and go

Back to yemmy_ma's question. No doubt, there are people that earn 160k USD but just a tiny fraction as I can tell you that most fall within the 25-40k USD range and when you consider taxes and other auxiliary expenses, you will discover that this above referenced amount is nothing to write home about.

I have mates in Nigeria that earn just half of this amount in Nigeria equivalent and relatively they are faring better than their contemporaries abroad.

Let's even add some figures to this claim. Let's assume a fixed tax rate of 40 percent on 160k (i.e 64k), there 96 k left. If the person in question has a car there are lease payments, insurance etc, if kids are in school there is tuition and other administrative expenses. We have not even talked about mortgage! Right now. If you want to buy a house now, you need at least 30 percent equity contribution for a typical 3 bedroom detached house of 250k which translates into about 75k bearing in mind that mortgage in my own opinion is a form of economic bondage!

Now compare this to another fellow in Nigeria that may earns 15m P.A. If such is prudent he can build his own house in a cosy area within three four years depending on preference without the hassles of a mortgage and still afford to have a little set aside for some entrepreneurial business whilst also raising a family without hassles!

A lot of us don't look beyond the big picture and understand that the details also matter. We all assume that America is a bed of roses because we have been brainwashed by the media to think so whilst presenting africa as a disease ravaged continent.

@ the poster, have a back up plan, increase the frequency of your visits to Nigeria as I am doing presently, make a lot of friends with all and sundry don't have a condescending view about any body and be prepared to drop the american accent trust me it will do you a lot of good! (I got the opportunity to acquire some choice plots of land around Lekki axis through the taxi man that picks me up from the airport anytime I am in the country can you imagine!) Also, be careful as there are a lot of scam artists around. Try to have a structure on ground before you relocate finally and remember to pray and have faith. Nigeria is a country plagued with insecurity, economic, tribal and religious strife but also filled with vast opportunities. It all depends on how you want to see the cup- half empty or half full!

I think I will stop ranting at this point and best of luck!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 8:26am On Aug 14, 2012
@OP,
If you don't mind, you could send me a PM.
I can run your resume through some recruiters locally, see what's available. Then you can decide wink
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by bookface: 9:48am On Aug 14, 2012
@denee:

You are forgetting that if your earnings remain constant at 15 million a year, and the country's inflation rate remains at 12.9 percent, your 15 million annual income will only be worth about 400 thousand annual income in another 23 years or so. This is probably why many of those rich men in the 70s are broke today except for those who secured government contracts or are politicians. In fact, in those days, having a million naira was a lot of big deal

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by deenee: 11:29am On Aug 14, 2012
@ bookface, You are quite on point with the inflation rate 'thingy' but holding pay constant for 15 years and discounting over a 23 year time-line is over the board. In actual sense, income is more likely to increase same also for inflation.

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by yemmyma: 2:05pm On Aug 14, 2012
deenee: @ yemmy_ma, different strokes for different folks! I don't think it is appropriate to discourage the poster. What we need to is provide unbiased information so that the poster will make an informed decision. No doubt, Nigeria is a TOUGH place to live and do business but one ironic question I keep asking is how come we have Americans, Chinese, Indians and other foreignn n nationalities doing business in our supposedly harsh business environ and yet they are raking in big bucks?

let me outline some names for you to back up my claim

De-United Foods trading under Multipro makers of the popular indomie noodles is owned by Indians. Chivita owned by Indians. WAMPCO is owned by Chinese. Oriental and Marcopolo owned by the Chinese. Stallion group owned by the popular Vaswani brothers. Park and shop - Indians, chocolate Royale- Lebanese, Mega Plaza- Isreali. I can go on and go

Back to yemmy_ma's question. No doubt, there are people that earn 160k USD but just a tiny fraction as I can tell you that most fall within the 25-40k USD range but when you consider taxes and other auxiliary expenses, you will discover that this above referenced amount is nothing to write home about.

I have mates in Nigeria that earn just half of this amount in Nigeria equivalent and relatively they are faring better than their contemporaries abroad.

Let's even add some figures to this claim. Let's assume a fixed tax rate of 40 percent on 160k (i.e 64k), there 96 k left. If the person in question has a car there are lease payments, insurance etc, if kids are in school there is tuition and other administrative expenses. We have not even talked about mortgage! Right now. If you want to buy a house now, you need at least 30 percent equity contribution for a typical 3 bedroom detached house of 250k which translates into about 75k bearing in mind that mortgage in my own opinion is a form of economic bondage!

Now compare this to another fellow in Nigeria that may earns 15m P.A. If such is prudent he can build his own house in a cosy area within three four years depending on preference without the hassles of a mortgage and still afford to have a little set aside for some entrepreneurial business whilst also raising a family without hassles!

A lot of us don't look beyond the big picture and understand that the details also matter. We all assume that America is a bed of roses because we have been brainwashed by the media to think so whilst presenting africa as a disease ravaged continent.

@ the poster, have a back up plan, increase the frequency of your visits to Nigeria as I am doing presently, make a lot of friends with all and sundry don't have a condescending view about any body and be prepared to drop the american accent trust me it will do you a lot of good! (I got the opportunity to acquire some choice plots of land around Lekki axis through the taxi man that picks me up from the airport anytime I am in the country can you imagine!) Also, be careful as there are a lot of scam artists around. Try to have a structure on ground before you relocate finally and remember to pray and have faith. Nigeria is a country plagued with insecurity, economic, tribal and religious strife but also filled with vast opportunities. It all depends on how you want to see the cup- half empty or half full!

I think I will stop ranting at this point and best of luck!

@deenee, I know my intro sounded a little bit near the top. But when you see the war between Nigerians in the U.S and their counterparts in the U.K., (mostly with the U.S. overpowering the U.K) it makes you feel like, well once you are have a pro. job in the U.S. then you are in paradise. That was the basis of my curiosity. But your explanation did shed some light on this issue.

@Op, i did not mean any harm with my first post, you can choose to ignore it or take it as a view of someone who is inquisitive about the content of your post.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by lolafaj: 2:59pm On Aug 14, 2012
I appreciate all the responses.

To answer questions and respond to some of the posts:
•My husband currently shuttles back and forth and is okay with whatever I choose to do as long as its within reason.
•What I mean by “have nothing to show for it” is that most people here in the US (at least that I know of) are not doing things out of the routine. For example, they could have a well-paying job, a nice house, a couple of cars a well-rounded IRA/ investment account and that’s it, they are complacent and cool with having just these things. Whereas in Nigeria you see people with the same assets but these same people start their own business or do other things that would help them long after retirement. I want to add value to the Nigerian economy while making money at the same time.
•Federal income tax, etc is crazy in America. Taxes are not as bad in Nigeria but like “obowunmi” said working for a non-reputable company in Nigeria could be hell. Majority of the older people I talk to back home advise that I don’t get a job period because it’s not worth it. They said it’s better to find a niche and start a solid business ….it’s easier said than done though
•With regards to inflation: there is inflation in America too and pay increase definitely does no match the inflation change YOY except you work in certain areas for government.

You guys make $160K a year in America, what do you do Investment Banking OMG! Sounds like I am in the wrong profession lol. I thank God I live a comfortable life in the US, but I am thinking about the future. If I go home when I am too old, I may be at a disadvantage. I agree with all the advice….its just not knowing what to expect you know. Taking the first trip back home later this year is exciting and scary to me at the same time.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 3:24pm On Aug 14, 2012
160k - they are probably in the medical field.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 3:26pm On Aug 14, 2012
Lola, keep your eyes open for these opportunities. Stay humble. Many Naija Americans go back to show off new clothes and ipads....they keep their eyes open to the typical investments but not to a niche market.

Anyways goodluck

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by deenee: 3:49pm On Aug 14, 2012
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 4:10pm On Aug 14, 2012
Are you single?
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by mevisbleek: 4:37pm On Aug 14, 2012
@poster if u are making a lot of money in the US then stay there. Only go back if u have good connection in Nigeria. My cousin's resume is similar to urs. Bsc from UMBC, MBA from UMBC. 9years experience from Bank of America (2yrs Branch Manager). He relocated to naija last year dec and up till now no job, he is now working for his dad. Even if you relocate to naija what they would pay u might not be enough.

Advise: shuttle back and forth. I dont think u need a PHD just get ur accounting designation. Preferably try getting CBV (chartered business valuator). I am saying this cos i am currently doing ma DBA am doing it just for self accomplishment but job wise i dont need it.

3 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
lolafaj: I appreciate all the responses.

To answer questions and respond to some of the posts:
•My husband currently shuttles back and forth and is okay with whatever I choose to do as long as its within reason.
•What I mean by “have nothing to show for it” is that most people here in the US (at least that I know of) are not doing things out of the routine. For example, they could have a well-paying job, a nice house, a couple of cars a well-rounded IRA/ investment account and that’s it, they are complacent and cool with having just these things. Whereas in Nigeria you see people with the same assets but these same people start their own business or do other things that would help them long after retirement. I want to add value to the Nigerian economy while making money at the same time.
•Federal income tax, etc is crazy in America. Taxes are not as bad in Nigeria but like “obowunmi” said working for a non-reputable company in Nigeria could be hell. Majority of the older people I talk to back home advise that I don’t get a job period because it’s not worth it. They said it’s better to find a niche and start a solid business ….it’s easier said than done though
•With regards to inflation: there is inflation in America too and pay increase definitely does no match the inflation change YOY except you work in certain areas for government.

Contrary to many of the assertions here, working in Nigeria is not 'tough'. The terrain is different, yes, there are inbred challenges and restrictions, inefficiencies which are ingrained into the Nigerian system, but overall the work environment is sane enough. There are a host of multinationals in financial services, consumer goods, energy, and these days even in retail. And their pay is very comparable to what obtains in the States, or Europe, plus some 'inconvenience' perks.

Though I would say you need a lot of energy to work here. By and large, the environment is still virgin, and government still functions primitively in some cases. There are also a lot of environmental constraints, which probably make Nigeria not the best possible place to raise children. But overall, you can still have a very good career in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by deenee: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
@ poster, sorry I have been compelled to edit some of my original posts. All of a sudden, I have tranches of scam mails in my box asking me to invest in one funny deal or the other. If you need any more info you can send me a PM.

All of the best!
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 5:20pm On Aug 14, 2012
deenee: @ poster, sorry I have been compelled to edit some of my original posts. All of a sudden, I have tranches of scam mails in my box asking me to invest in one funny deal or the other. If you need any more info you can send me a PM.

All of the best!

You prolly deserve it, posting on here how much you earn. grin

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 14, 2012
AjanleKoko:

You prolly deserve it, posting on here how much you earn. grin

I will send you my resume midway through my masters grin I'm serious though.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 6:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
Donxavier:

I will send you my resume midway through my masters grin I'm serious though.

I'm not a recruiter, sorry. But I know a lot of local HR consultants. So you're welcome to send.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by Nobody: 6:58pm On Aug 14, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I'm not a recruiter, sorry. But I know a lot of local HR consultants. So you're welcome to send.

All na the same thing. As long as you can put in a good word, it won't hurt.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 7:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
deenee: @ poster, sorry I have been compelled to edit some of my original posts. All of a sudden, I have tranches of scam mails in my box asking me to invest in one funny deal or the other. If you need any more info you can send me a PM.

All of the best!

LooooooooooL
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by obowunmi(m): 7:37pm On Aug 14, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Contrary to many of the assertions here, working in Nigeria is not 'tough'. The terrain is different, yes, there are inbred challenges and restrictions, inefficiencies which are ingrained into the Nigerian system, but overall the work environment is sane enough. There are a host of multinationals in financial services, consumer goods, energy, and these days even in retail. And their pay is very comparable to what obtains in the States, or Europe, plus some 'inconvenience' perks.

Though I would say you need a lot of energy to work here. By and large, the environment is still virgin, and government still functions primitively in some cases. There are also a lot of environmental constraints, which probably make Nigeria not the best possible place to raise children. But overall, you can still have a very good career in Nigeria.

Ajanle is very pro-Nigeria. Oo ga... For someone transitioning, Nigeria is no easy feat.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by RickyRoss1(m): 9:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
@ POSTER, I LIKE YOUR SPIRIT, AND I ALSO ADMIRE THE FACT THAT YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT ADDDING SOMETHING TO THE NIGERIAN ECONOMY...

PLEASE DO YOUR HOME WORK WELL, AND DO TRY AND RELOCATE TO NIGERIA AND START YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
I KNOW MOST PEOPLE WOULD PREFER TO REMAIN IN THE USA SO AS TO ENJOY THE LUXURY, MOST PEOPLE DONT WANT TO EXPERIENCE LIGHT PROBLEMS ETC, BUT IF WE DONT COME BACK AND HELP IN REBUILDING THE COUNTRY HOW CAN THINGS GET BETTER

LOOK AT THE INDIANS, I HAVE COUPLE OF INDIA FRIENDS, THEY USUALLY RETURN BACK TO INDIA AFTER STAYING IN THE US OR UK FOR FEW YEARS. AFRICANS ARE THE ONES THAT LIKE SPENDING THE REST OF THEIR LIVES IN A WHITE MANS COUNTRY.

3 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 12:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
obowunmi:

Ajanle is very pro-Nigeria. Oo ga... For someone transitioning, Nigeria is no easy feat.

Yes oh. I am very pro-Nigeria. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I think its not such a challenge, for a proactive person. denee sounds like he's proactive wink
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by btasha: 2:02am On Jan 06, 2015
I'm currently in my final year of university, studying Accounting and finance. I have about four months left to finish my degree. My original plan was that when I finish my degrees I'd relocate to Nigeria, but after much research I'm thinking about doing my Masters in a Russell Group university then NYSC. oh btw I'm based in the uk, I'll like to get a very good job in Nigeria but I just don't know how to go about it, yes I have connections but I do not want to rely on ANYONE. Pls give me your advise. And I can't decide on where to do my nysc either Lagos or Abuja bare in mind I'd like to do my nysc where I can get a good job. Ohh also does anymore know about this careers in Africa.?
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by londoner: 2:43pm On Jan 06, 2015
btasha:
I'm currently in my final year of university, studying Accounting and finance. I have about four months left to finish my degree. My original plan was that when I finish my degrees I'd relocate to Nigeria, but after much research I'm thinking about doing my Masters in a Russell Group university then NYSC. oh btw I'm based in the uk, I'll like to get a very good job in Nigeria but I just don't know how to go about it, yes I have connections but I do not want to rely on ANYONE. Pls give me your advise. And I can't decide on where to do my nysc either Lagos or Abuja bare in mind I'd like to do my nysc where I can get a good job. Ohh also does anymore know about this careers in Africa.?

Hi, you should try and join www.internations.org

It's a website for expats currently living and working in Nigeria (Abuja/Lagos included). They also post job openings. You can put up an advertthread with the questions you raised here on NL, someone will at least give you some advice, if not info about current positions.

You should try and get into Nigeria as an expat, on an expat package, rather than doing NYSC and get paid as a local.

The guys there can help you out and you can even go along to one of their many social meetups when you do make it to Nigeria.

I am going to take a trip to Nigeria later on in the year, as a "scoping" exercise" and lay some foundations or at least see what is feasible. I prefer move to ABJ because of a job, not to go search for one, lol.

I too have connections, but like you, don't want to rely on anyone.

Internations, will open your eyes about the many expats living in or wanting to relocate to Nigeria.

Many of whom are not even African let alone Nigerian.

I am waiting for the election to be over and for the dust to settle, but my plan is to relocate (at least partially) to Abuja. I am a Brit too and MANY of us are going back. I will do so gradually though and may end up dividing my time between Nigeria and UK. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by btasha: 1:29am On Jan 07, 2015
Thanks for replying, yes I will research the website. Have you heard of career in Africa?

2 Likes

Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by londoner: 6:45pm On Jan 07, 2015
btasha:
Thanks for replying, yes I will research the website. Have you heard of career in Africa?

Yes, I've heard of them but haven't checked their site for a while now.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by btasha: 1:20am On Jan 08, 2015
londoner:

Yes, I've heard of them but haven't checked their site for a while now.

Was wondering if you think it's a good idea for graduates to attend such events.
Re: Moving Back To Nigeria by Horus(m): 2:16pm On Jan 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbmk701oQjg

[size=15pt]Moving Back to Nigeria[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Canada Study Permit (montreal)- Appeal Process / My One Night Experience At The Turkish Airlines Istanbul Airport Terminal / The Six Most Remote Places In human civilization

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.