Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 (5071 Views)

Heavy Rain Causes Flooding In Kano City (photos) / Pictures Of New Flooding In Benue State!!!! / Flooding In Kogi To Last Till November (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by omicron(m): 6:57am On Aug 14, 2012
AGAIN, some parts of Plateau State have come under severe flooding with 28 persons feared dead and scores of others declared missing. The disaster occurred in the southern zone of state last weekend, but details of the incident came yesterday when journalists visited the affected areas.

The Guardian learnt that bodies of the victims were found in villages far from the scenes of the flooding.

According to residents, close to 100 communities and a thousand houses were affected by the flood. The bridge linking the zone with Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital and Taraba State was washed off by the flood

A resident of Langtang, who identified himself as Nandom, said the rain on Sunday morning in the communities caused heavy flooding that also swept away farmlands and displaced several hundreds of people.

The Transition Committee Chairman of Shendam Local Council, Kemi Nshe, told journalists that 200 hectares of farmland were washed away by the flood in his council alone. He described the incident as sad and called on the people to be calm as succour was coming for them.

Also, Senator Victor Lar, who led journalists to the affected communities yesterday, described the incident as unfortunate and assured the people of efforts to ameliorate their plight.

Lar said since he was born, he had not seen such torrential rain and its devastating effects on both humans and farmlands like the one that occurred in Plateau southern zone.

He noted that the victims of the flooding were facing serious problems, adding that there was imminent threat of epidemic in the area and the displacement of over 1,500 people.

The Special Assistant to the Minister of Water Resources, Prof. Dimis Mai Lafia, who was on the entourage, described the havoc done by the flood as worrisome.

He said the Minister of Water Resources, Mrs Sarah Ochepe had been contacted on the incident so that she can liaise with the Federal Ministry of Works to intervene in rebuilding of the bridge

The councils cut off by the collapsed bridge are Langtang South, Langtang North, Shendam Mikang, Wase and Quanpan.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95535:28-die-in-plateau-flood-&catid=1:national&Itemid=559
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by omicron(m): 8:47am On Aug 14, 2012
I wonder when plateau will make headlines for positive reasons. RIP to the dead!

1 Like

Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by DonaldGenes(m): 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
Have had enough of all this bad bad bad News.com always emanating from no other state but This same Plateau state over and over aqain.i don tire....its like warp zone where anythng Bad qoes......tufiakwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Afam4eva(m): 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2012
Is Jos now a word in the dictionary that means "Disaster" and "conflict"? Where exaclty did this Jos occur?

1 Like

Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Built2last: 12:47pm On Aug 14, 2012
Something beyond the phisical eye is wrong with the Plateau...what is saddening is that humans can fix it. but for share greed and carefree attitude of their leaders...May the dead sleep well.

1 Like

Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by madjune(m): 12:51pm On Aug 14, 2012
Flooding caused by BOKO HARAM.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by CrazyMan(m): 12:52pm On Aug 14, 2012
What's with Nigeria and bad news these days. Too be honest, I'm feed up of this country. If boko haram doesn't suck their own blood, natural disasters would suck. If natural disasters doesn't suck fulani cattle rearers or armed robbers would suck.

What's wrong with this country na undecided

Anyway rip to the dead undecided
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by ZUBY77(m): 12:58pm On Aug 14, 2012
For Gowon - Pharoh, not letting my people biafra go,
Ten plagues will befall them like the Egyptians.
1 - Fulani killers
2 - cold weather
3 - boko haram
4 - floods

Dont cry yet, more six are the way. Until Gowon kneels down and beg the innocent civilians who died because they wanted freedom.

1 Like

Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by bid4rich(m): 12:58pm On Aug 14, 2012
Jos Jos Jos all the time. Come O! Why is jos all the time sef, are they cursed? I believe the blood of the innocent souls are crying for justice and revenge. You cant just kill for free and go away with it without nemesis catching up with you naw
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by ANYPEN(m): 1:04pm On Aug 14, 2012
This isn't just about Jos alone, if you think it is then you're on a "long thing".
This is the reality of the of effect climate change & it is sweeping through the whole world. Nigeria & Jos is just having her own part of the fair share @ the moment. Lagos, Ibadan, OGUN, Maiduguri & many more places have had this story & if nothing is done to correct these happenings, every part & I mean every part including your place that you're thinking is a safe haven will have its own share soon.

This is a call to protect our environment & ultimately our lives by planting trees in our various compounds to reduce the effect of climate change. If you don't have a tree, plant one now & tell your neighbours to do same for the sake of mother earth, for you & for your children. It is the least expected of us, that we should take care of our environment.

1 Like

Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
CrazyMan: What's with Nigeria and bad news these days. Too be honest, I'm feed up of this country. If boko haram doesn't suck their own blood, natural disasters would suck. If natural disasters doesn't suck fulani cattle rearers or armed robbers would suck.

What's wrong with this country na undecided

Anyway rip to the dead undecided

Bros its everywhere. God help us
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Bandy10: 1:09pm On Aug 14, 2012
I don't why reporters misinterprete issues.Lantang where the flooding happened is about 500km from Jos.Why write the story as if it is in Jos town.
Anyway good things are happening in Jos.One of them is Mars22 Home of beauty.For your makeup,makeover,fixing of nails and lashes call Ella on 07031594993 or 08154326126.Mars22 Home of beauty...experience beauty at its best
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by muktarmtt(m): 1:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
bid4rich: Jos Jos Jos all the time. Come O! Why is jos all the time sef, are they cursed? I believe the blood of the innocent souls are crying for justice and revenge. You cant just kill for free and go away with it without nemesis catching up with you naw
mtsw dat wat is eating inside.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Series22(m): 1:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
omicron: I wonder when plateau will make headlines for positive reasons. RIP to the dead!
u are goat, is it their fault dat their land was flooded? Just dat we cant question God, i would hv askd him y he gave sum pple dull brains.. Fool.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by ANYPEN(m): 1:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
Babzilla:

Bros its everywhere. God help us

My brother, you can help yourself.
Plant a tree today & tell your neighbours to plant too. Stop calling God as if he's the one who asked us to start burning fuel.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by ZUBY77(m): 1:15pm On Aug 14, 2012
Bandy10: I don't why reporters misinterprete issues.Lantang where the flooding happened is about 500km from Jos.Why write the story as if it is in Jos town.
Anyway good things are happening in Jos.One of them is Mars22 Home of beauty.For your makeup,makeover,fixing of nails and lashes call Ella on 07031594993 or 08154326126.Mars22 Home of beauty...experience beauty at its best

I didn't know that there is 500km between cities/towns in any Nigerian state until now.

Are you sure Bandy10?
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Eazeee(m): 1:16pm On Aug 14, 2012
Biafra on d internet u slowpoke
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by emsgray: 1:20pm On Aug 14, 2012
kissplateau shall rise again in Jesus name, Amen. tears may last for all night, but joy comes in the morning. JOS. Jesus Our Saviour! nothing good comes easy.[img]plateau shall rise again in Jesus name, Amen. tears may last for all night, but joy comes in the morning. JOS. Jesus Our Saviour! nothing good comes easy.[/img]plateau shall rise again in Jesus name, Amen. tears may last for all night, but joy comes in the morning. JOS. Jesus Our Saviour! nothing good comes easy.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by ANYPEN(m): 1:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
Bandy10: I don't why reporters misinterprete issues.Lantang where the flooding happened is about 500km from Jos.Why write the story as if it is in Jos town.

500KM
This is serious o!
Are you sure or you wanna take a walk yourself with a tape measure grin
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Series22(m): 1:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
ZUBY77: For Gowon - Pharoh, not letting my people biafra go,
1 - Fulani killers
2 - cold weather
3 - boko haram
4 - floods

Dont cry yet, more six are the way. Until Gowon kneels down and beg the innocent civilians who died because they wanted freedom.
my friend stop embarasing ndigbo. If God is flooding jos 4 Gowon's sins, wat of d erosion dat is eatin up d south-east, whose sins is God punishing. Perhaps, ur mother's? Make use of ur brain, stop talkin 4rm ur Anuus.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Eazeee(m): 1:28pm On Aug 14, 2012
1 - Fulani killers
2 - cold weather
3 - boko haram
4 - floods

d same tin will happen 2 u n ur generation of weaklings n defeated tribe u slowpoke. ur ANYAMIRI brothers are been slaughthered like chikens by d same BOKO HARAM n all u can do is 2 shout on line u slowpoke
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by DonaldGenes(m): 1:31pm On Aug 14, 2012
Dont you think they should be chanqe of Govt @ hand...Jonah jang might be the unseen prob....just saying#
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by brownlord: 1:33pm On Aug 14, 2012
THE GODS ARE ANGRY AM SURE
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by DonaldGenes(m): 1:41pm On Aug 14, 2012
I am begining to suspect Gov Jonah is the unseen problem behind this unseemingly intractable problem bedeviling plateau state..He should be axed!
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by anicho(m): 2:14pm On Aug 14, 2012
Oh...#sad#
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Ejine(m): 2:30pm On Aug 14, 2012
Niger State is another ticking time bomb, my brothers.
I've been quietly studying that state's geography, and I can tell you, when the shiiit hits the fan, it's gonna get reeeal ugly over there. The Jos floodings will be child's play.

So, please my brothers, if you know anyone close to Gov. Babangida, help me tell him to slap that man's fat ogor, order him to temporarily hit the brakes on that airport utopia thing he's building, and start PLANTING TREES TODAY.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by kaeto(m): 2:49pm On Aug 14, 2012
ANY-PEN :

500KM
This is serious o!
Are you sure or you wanna take a walk yourself with a tape measure grin
free her please, i did my NYSC in Kuka, shendam L.G.A in plateau state, that distance is tapered along the high way and it's even farther than 500km, the entire plateau is 28000km^2 in area and it took me about 1hour from my ppa to the head office all in one LGA, imagin that.
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 14, 2012
1 - Fulani killers
2 - cold weather
3 - boko haram
4 - floods

Crazy Nigga grin grin grin grin
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by Yujin(m): 4:40pm On Aug 14, 2012
kaeto: free her please, i did my NYSC in Kuka, shendam L.G.A in plateau state, that distance is tapered along the high way and it's even farther than 500km, the entire plateau is 28000km^2 in area and it took me about 1hour from my ppa to the head office all in one LGA, imagin that.
Do you know how long 500km is? If you are driving a car at speed 200km/hr, you will get to your destination of 500km in 2hrs30mins barring stopovers and slow-downs. Pls, get your facts right.
@Topic,
It is really disheartening that Plateau State has been associated with tragic news in recent times. Indigenes of plateau should seek God and unite because God is interested in the state. After gloom and doom of the dark night comes a bright morning.
A song for the lovers of the Plateau.
Plateau is beautiful cradle of the Middle Belt...
A land of heroes, friends and blessed ones..
North, South, East & West a land of great wealth...
Oooh rich in food and rich in livestock... Oooh
A tourist delight
A state so endowed yearning to be exploited......
Oh Plateau arise; Arise lets sing one song of victory.
(PEACE FM)
Re: Flooding In Jos Kills At Least 28 by burkutu: 5:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
Jos to shendam is a journey of about 3hrs. Jos is so different from shendam that even the weather are not the same

(1) (Reply)

Thread For Igbos.......lets Show Our Cultures, Personalties And Achievements. / Gov Obiano Is Working!Anambra Tomatoe Plantation Almost Ready(pics) / -

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.