Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,037 members, 7,814,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:38 PM

Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence (2872 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / Catholicism Doctrines And Its Biblical Root(debunking An Argument) / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 2:12pm On Aug 14, 2012
Atheist:-D:

If we said omnipotence was limitless due to the fact that we could not measure or ascertain the limits then we could draw conclusions. Say for instance the omnipotence is i, we could say deity a with an omnipotency of i is greater than another deity b with an omnipotency of y by an amount known as x:

This is of course not true omnipotency however one could argue that if it is beyond our measuring or comprehension it is omnipotent.

I see.

I wonder why people then bother with what is beyond our comprehension.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by aribisala0(m): 2:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Do you have some problems? You come on my thread and insult me then go ahead to post some inane and off topic nonsense
STRIKE MY
neither yours nor any member of your family's.
You come to Nairaland a public space to indulge your intellectual aspirations. But clearly you missed Logic 101 or more likely it missed you.

Listen to yourself;

"the ability to do all things would also require the ability not to be omnipotent" DUNCE !!

As in : The ability to swim will require the ability not to be a swimmer

OR
The ability to eat meat will require the ability not to be carnivorous
OR

The ability to speak many languages will require the ability not to be Multilingual

If it really is YOUR thread make sure you stop me from posting any more. Take out an injunction or something
In your eyes you are intelligent .Olodo!
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MrAnony1(m): 2:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Remember that you are supposed to be a christian with morals. grin grin grin grin
Oh don't worry, it's a "logical question" you think yourself smart so I am attacking your smartness which should be your nature by presuming that you don't possess it ...... in the same way you are trying to undermine God's omnipotence by first presuming that he isn't.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 2:17pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Oh don't worry, it's a "logical question" you think yourself smart so I am attacking your smartness which should be your nature by presuming that you don't possess it ...... in the same way you are trying to undermine God's omnipotence by first presuming that he isn't.

So, you cant expose my "logic" without calling me foolish and bringing my mother into it?

Are you a good christian? grin
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MrAnony1(m): 2:18pm On Aug 14, 2012

If we said omnipotence was limitless due to the fact that we could not measure or ascertain the limits then we could draw conclusions. Say for instance the omnipotence is i, we could say deity a with an omnipotency of i is greater than another deity b with an omnipotency of y by an amount known as x:

This is of course not true omnipotency however one could argue that if it is beyond our measuring or comprehension it is omnipotent.

Wrong. Immediately you say that something is "more omnipotent" than another, then you have created a limit for one of the deities therefore one of the deities is not omnipotent. Something that is limitless is simply limitless. It is absurd to say that something is a limited limitless entity
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MrAnony1(m): 2:21pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

So, you cant expose my "logic" without calling me foolish and bringing my mother into it?

Are you a good christian? grin
Oh shut up! The question was never meant as an insult, it was just to show you your poor reasoning. You can't disprove God's omnipotence without first claiming from the blue that He isn't.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 2:23pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

I see.

I wonder why people then bother with what is beyond our comprehension.

Because that is how we learn. A system with no known limits can still be worked with and understood. A whole branch of maths has been developed to work with limitless sytems and draw up rules on how to define the limitless. I think it is known ss the infinity series. It involves working with infinity.

In regards to religion, if i was to time travel to ad 00, I might be considered a deity based on my technological advancement. Who knows where we will be in another 2000 years?
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:

You should learn to ignore some posts and stop getting your panties in a bunch over silly questions .

Assuming your god exists and is indeed omnipotent, what is a rock to him but a pebble? He created galaxies and superstructures so this little paradox is nothing to him.

But you take the question personal because your idea of god is what's under attack not "god" himself.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MrAnony1(m): 2:32pm On Aug 14, 2012
Martian:

You should learn to ignore some posts and stop getting your panties in a bunch over silly questions .

Assuming your god exists and is indeed omnipotent, what is a rock to him but a pebble? He created galaxies and superstructures so this little paradox is nothing to him.

But you take the question personal because your idea of god is what's under attack not "god" himself.

I think I really should take your advice on this but then what really saddens me is how people ask a silly question and then immediately think themselves very smart indeed.
........and yeah, I take the question personal because He is my Father but you know what, I think it's time I left the thread. It is a bad habit I have to get drawn into all sorts of silly arguments.

Thanks
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 2:42pm On Aug 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Wrong. Immediately you say that something is "more omnipotent" than another, then you have created a limit for one of the deities therefore one of the deities is not omnipotent. Something that is limitless is simply limitless. It is absurd to say that something is a limited limitless entity

We have two types of limitless systems.
A) A limitless system which is a limited system that has limits beyond our capability to define. This makes it limitless until we define its limits
B) A truly limitless system whereby there is truly no limit. This is better expressed in the ideology of an omnipotent deity.

A truly limitless sytem can NEVER exist because the act of no limits creates paradoxes to prove that a limit must exist. The paradoxes themselves are technically the ultimate limits of the system.

Take for instance God as omnipotent, the limits to God's omnipotency are as thus:

1. God can create anything but God cannot create a being greater than himself
2. God cannot create and indestructible object but God can destroy evrrything. God cannot destroy an object He created to be indestructible to himself ensuring a paradox. Either He cannot create it or He cannot destroy it.
3. God cannot destroy Himself.

As some of the examples show, there are already limits on the limitless. This is all theoretical of course :-)
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 3:01pm On Aug 14, 2012
Martian:

Silly questions?

who is talking about a small rock? I am talking about a rock that can not be moved......it could have a galactic size.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by Knight1(m): 3:13pm On Aug 14, 2012
can't believe people took this thread seriously....smh.

op, assuming a Christian on NL says he's not nko? you think it affects God's power in anyway? please find yourself something to do. something useful.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Silly questions?
who is talking about a small rock? I am talking about a rock that can not be moved......it could have a galactic size.

When you find yourself in a hole, just stop digging. In other words, quit while you're ahead.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 3:35pm On Aug 14, 2012
Martian:

When you find yourself in a hole, just stop digging. In other words, quit while you're ahead.

What is wrong with you? This arrogance will get you nowhere fast!

What hole are you talking about?

The statements here are quite logical. Omnipotence is a paradox.

You just come here and say that the question is stupid. You people have serious problems.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 3:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
Knight1: can't believe people took this thread seriously....smh.

op, assuming a Christian on NL says he's not nko? you think it affects God's power in anyway? please find yourself something to do. something useful.

commot for road jo.

If you cant ask philosophical questions, it is not my problem.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

What is wrong with you? This arrogance will get you nowhere fast!

What hole are you talking about?

The statements here are quite logical. Omnipotence is a paradox.

You just come here and say that the question is stupid. You people have serious problems.

They didn't even try to discuss my paradoxes mentioned related to omnipotency. shocked
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 3:47pm On Aug 14, 2012

They didn't even try to discuss my paradoxes mentioned related to omnipotency. shocked

lol...some are just hrt because their sky-daddy's abilities are being debunked
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 3:56pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

lol...some are just hrt because their sky-daddy's abilities are being debunked

I wouldn't go that far but it would be safer for them if they didn't risk their faith by looking too closely at such things.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by engrtee(f): 6:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01: Omnipotence is a self-contradicting phenomena.

Omnipotence = ability to do all things

However, the ability to do all things would also require the ability not to be omnipotent! lipsrsealed

God works in mysterious ways dat we dont undastand.

Why should God remove the rock? When he can achieve d same purpose in many ways witout touching the rock.movin d rock .isnt d only solution to d issue.

Our problem is we want God to do exatly wot we want in d exact way we want it
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by engrtee(f): 6:06pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01: Omnipotence is a self-contradicting phenomena.

Omnipotence = ability to do all things

However, the ability to do all things would also require the ability not to be omnipotent! lipsrsealed
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 6:10pm On Aug 14, 2012
engrtee:

God works in mysterious ways dat we dont undastand.

Why should God remove the rock? When he can achieve d same purpose in many ways witout touching the rock.movin d rock .isnt d only solution to d issue.

Our problem is we want God to do exatly wot we want in d exact way we want it

If God doesnt want to help us then to hell with him. What is the use of having a heavnely father that does not care about your health but only your ability to worship him.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by TheOP1(m): 8:55pm On Aug 14, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Nope.....epic fail

One can move a rock depending on the size of the rock and the person's ability.

Can God create a rock that he can not move?

What is the premise of this question?

Do you know of any of God's creation that he cant control.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by TheOP1(m): 9:05pm On Aug 14, 2012

We have two types of limitless systems.
A) A limitless system which is a limited system that has limits beyond our capability to define. This makes it limitless until we define its limits
B) A truly limitless system whereby there is truly no limit. This is better expressed in the ideology of an omnipotent deity.

A truly limitless sytem can NEVER exist because the act of no limits creates paradoxes to prove that a limit must exist. The paradoxes themselves are technically the ultimate limits of the system.

Take for instance God as omnipotent, the limits to God's omnipotency are as thus:

1. God can create anything but God cannot create a being greater than himself
2. God cannot create and indestructible object but God can destroy evrrything. God cannot destroy an object He created to be indestructible to himself ensuring a paradox. Either He cannot create it or He cannot destroy it.
3. God cannot destroy Himself.

As some of the examples show, there are already limits on the limitless. This is all theoretical of course :-)

Perhaps God can do all you have said but will NOT.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 9:17pm On Aug 14, 2012
The OP:

Perhaps God can do all you have said but will NOT.

If God can do it.. How?

How can God create a greater being than himself? Or destroy himself?
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by TheOP1(m): 9:58pm On Aug 14, 2012
Even as humans there are some things we can do but will not do.

I can kill myself but will not.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 10:08pm On Aug 14, 2012
The OP: Even as humans there are some things we can do but will not do.

I can kill myself but will not.

Boko Haram suicide bombers is a clear indication that humans can kill themselves.

If i kidnapped you, your siblings, your wife and kids and all dear to you, informed you that i would kill you and all you love but would spare all you love if you killed yourself. There is a high possibility that you would kill yourself.

However God cannot destroy Himself. Even if He wanted to... Or it would mean that God is not Eternal, Immortal and Omnipotent.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by caezar: 1:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
I really, really, really should not be responding on this thread.

For one, the OP has not the capacity to comprehend my response, whether it be wrong or right. Also, this question has been beaten to death with answers, not least of which is the simple answer that the question is incoherent and illogical. But I think I have a resolution...

I think that science has already provided an answer to this question, albeit inadvertently: Schroedinger's Cat!

Schroedinger's cat is at once dead and alive; to the observer. In truth, the cat itself knows whether it is dead or alive (technically, it knows that it is alive, or it does not know that it is dead) but as the observer has no way of determining the state of the cat, it is said to be dead and alive.

How does this relate to the stone?
Well, we can extrapolate this paradox to our own reality. We are beings observing God in a closed box. The fact that it appears to us that God cannot create a stone he cannot lift is due to the fact that we perceive the paradox as irreconcilable. This is a limitation on ourselves as observers not on God as an omnipotent being! We are trying to place limitations on a God that, by definition, created all things, by using tools that were, in the first place, created by that God. Therefore, the paradox is that we're trying to measure God using tools that he created!

The above paragraph is essentially a rehash of the incoherency argument. However, it bears significance on my "resolution".

If we accept the fundamental premise of an omnipotent being, which is that it created all things (otherwise, it wouldn't really be omnipotent would it?), then we accept that he created the fundamentals of the universe which govern our perception of all that occurs within the universe. However, this being would not be so governed; it would remain independent of the internal strictures of the universe it created. Therefore, in so far as our senses are concerned, this being could, if it chose to, create a stone, within our universe, which it cannot lift. And in the next moment, if it chose to, it could lift that stone. Put another way, since the being is responsible for all creation, particularly of physical laws that govern creation, it could change the physical laws which are responsible for our perception of the above paradox (for, as I have already said, the paradox is a paradox only from our perception) and create a stone which we perceive to be too heavy even for the creator to lift. And in the next moment, this being could change those same physical laws again and lift the stone.

Before someone says that I am twisting logic or creating paradoxes of my own, I want to point out that this notion, though imaginative, is not so inconceivable. The multiverse theory proposes an infinite number of universes. Each of which may have its own set of physical laws, some of which may appear incoherent or inconceivable from our own perspective, assuming we were able to observe them in the first place. Therefore, I am not trying to propose one impossibility to explain away another impossibility or another paradox to explain away the first paradox. Rather, I am trying to point out that our own limitations create the paradox for a being whose existence may not be governed even by the strictures of logic. It is our reality that is shattered by the existence of such a stone not God's.

Also, the fact that God goes ahead and negates the original creation by lifting the stone does not mean that the stone was not genuinely created in the first instance. Rather, it is God's choice one way or the other that determines the very essence of the created object. In so far as God has created the stone with no intention to lift it by changing physical laws, then his creation satisfies the criteria. And yet, once God decides to lift the stone by changing physical laws, the stone once again ceases to exist as God can now lift it. The stone can then be said to exist in a kind of quantum flux where it is both too heavy for God to lift and not heavy enough for God not to lift, just like Schroedinger's Cat! It is God's choice that determines it's final state just as opening the box determines the cat's state and collapses the wave function, as they say.

I propose, if your imagination is aligned with mine, that God has in fact created such a stone which exists today in our reality. I think evil would qualify as such a stone.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by MacDaddy01: 2:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
caezar: I really, really, really should not be responding on this thread.

For one, the OP has not the capacity to comprehend my response, whether it be wrong or right. Also, this question has been beaten to death with answers, not least of which is the simple answer that the question is incoherent and illogical. But I think I have a resolution...

How does this relate to the stone?
Well, we can extrapolate this paradox to our own reality. We are beings observing God in a closed box. The fact that it appears to us that God cannot create a stone he cannot lift is due to the fact that we perceive the paradox as irreconcilable. This is a limitation on ourselves as observers not on God as an omnipotent being! We are trying to place limitations on a God that, by definition, created all things, by using tools that were, in the first place, created by that God. Therefore, the paradox is that we're trying to measure God using tools that he created!

The above paragraph is essentially a rehash of the incoherency argument. However, it bears significance on my "resolution".

Man created rulers and scales. We are measured by our own tools.

Your argument is silly.

1) There is no way to even confirm that we are seeing God from a closed box. We cant even perceive God with any of our senses the first place and so, hopw do we even see him

2)If God created all things then he created himself. An impossibility!

caezar:
I propose, if your imagination is aligned with mine, that God has in fact created such a stone which exists today in our reality. I think evil would qualify as such a stone.

Of course, God exists only in our imagination
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 2:28pm On Aug 15, 2012
^^^

I was about to mention Schrodingers cat myself. Schrodingers cat allows for the belief ina system whereby two dependent factors can coexist hypothetically as long as we are unable to identify the states of both.

The summary of Schrodingers cat is that although it is believed that either the cat or vial of cyanide exist, both can exist only when you do not know the contents of the box. Once the box is opened it is clear that only one can exist. It is also clear that there sre limits to the belief of the dual existence of both: any noise within the box is an indication that the cat is alive, a vial smashing noise is an indication of the vial being broken etc.

The better we can monitor the box the better knowledge we have of the state of the contents. This is true with the omnipotency of God. The omnipotency is not a true omnipotency but a perceoved omnipotency with limits we have not yetndefined. The paradoxes guide us to a better understanding that the two states within the paradox can never coexist.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by caezar: 3:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
^^^

I was about to mention Schrodingers cat myself. Schrodingers cat allows for the belief ina system whereby two dependent factors can coexist hypothetically as long as we are unable to identify the states of both.

The summary of Schrodingers cat is that although it is believed that either the cat or vial of cyanide exist, both can exist only when you do not know the contents of the box. Once the box is opened it is clear that only one can exist. It is also clear that there sre limits to the belief of the dual existence of both: any noise within the box is an indication that the cat is alive, a vial smashing noise is an indication of the vial being broken etc.

The better we can monitor the box the better knowledge we have of the state of the contents. This is true with the omnipotency of God. The omnipotency is not a true omnipotency but a perceoved omnipotency with limits we have not yetndefined. The paradoxes guide us to a better understanding that the two states within the paradox can never coexist.

I completely agree. However, I would add, that the omnipotency can never really be appropriately defined within the context of our universe. Any definition would be inadequate if it presupposes notions based on physical laws defined within our universe.

Furthermore, I posit that the conceptual black box, modelled after Schroedinger's, in which God operates, is even murkier and more sophisticated than Schroedinger's. This box has the ability to breakdown the state of our reality at its will as opposed to Schroedinger's which exists in a fixed, though unmeasurable, state. In Schroedinger's box, there is a fixed reality, but our observation of that reality is inconclusive and so we are forced to make two equally possible but contradictory conclusions until the box is opened and our observation conclusive. In God's black box however, the black box behaves with a will of its own able to alter reality itself and without the strictures of the physical laws of our universe. Who knows..? Perhaps, in this murkier, more sophisticated box, the two states may in fact coexist...
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by Benito69(m): 6:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
Let me give you a logical answer;
Using the rules of logic,
It is possible for the Almighty to create a rock He can't move, this is seen in the immutability of His word in the scriptures that can't be changed.
However it is not that He can't do it, but wherein lies the logic of performing such an action?.
Omnipotence is not debunked dear friends, but the Logical Nature of God is thus proved.
In the fact that He will not act, in an illogical manner. (this also applies to His word which He can't change, He thus acts logically in accordance to the word He has spoken).
You have failed to debunk the Omnipotence of God, but have succeeded in showing that God acts in a logical manner.
Re: Can God Create A Rock That He Can Not Move? Debunking Omnipotence by AtheistD(m): 7:03pm On Aug 15, 2012
Benito69: Let me give you a logical answer;
Using the rules of logic,
It is possible for the Almighty to create a rock He can't move, this is seen in the immutability of His word in the scriptures that can't be changed.
However it is not that He can't do it, but wherein lies the logic of performing such an action?.
Omnipotence is not debunked dear friends, but the Logical Nature of God is thus proved.
In the fact that He will not act, in an illogical manner. (this also applies to His word which He can't change, He thus acts logically in accordance to the word He has spoken).
You have failed to debunk the Omnipotence of God, but have succeeded in showing that God acts in a logical manner.

Really? Thats your answer? Ok. So can God destroy himself. Also, bear in mind the understanding that intent is irrelevant in such an argument. Can you really speak for God in such matters?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Muskeeto Must Repent! / See A New Church In Tz,pastor Must Not Touch Ground Until End Of Service. / RCCG Pastor, Gabriel Olufemi Diya And Children Laid To Rest In London (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.