Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,001 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms (5772 Views)

Etisalat Modem Not Loading Some Websites / How Do I Block Some Websites And Chat Engine E.g. Yahoo Messenger, Skype Etc / How To Block Some Websites On A PC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by oldie(m): 4:40pm On Dec 25, 2007
tai2:

It's a Starcomms DNS problem, use an anonymizer or better still resolve the IP addresses of your intended destination and access it,

Some websites do not allow for anonymous login
Also, you can only resolve IP addresses if they are dynamic
I think Starcom IP address is static, you cant change it
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 25, 2007
cute_N_hot:

tell him bro.
for that money you should get 245 cable channel
unlimited calling time to Us, Uk, and canadian landlines
plus 8mb internet access.
and you should get back change. smiley
Yeah gurl, we are really spending more money for less value here u know? By the way, what kinda connection do you use? wink
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by belwas(m): 8:55pm On Dec 25, 2007
You guys should see my post 'GET CONNECTED TO THE POWER OF INTERNET FREE (GUARANTEED)' Its real.no website restriction 'because your server location is FR,FRANCE.  See yaaaah
See this link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-102042.0.html
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by reka(m): 10:19pm On Dec 25, 2007
i dont knw d shit wrong wit starcomms dis dayz. it's crazily slow. most sites dont open on my system. i'm tired of their inabilities.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by topeteadr(m): 10:42pm On Dec 25, 2007
Damn, that stuff is so fcu!<ing slow nowadays.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by ruemu(m): 1:48am On Dec 26, 2007
WHO said we don't have ISP in Nigeria, I bet to disagree, Major problem in Naija is you can SCAM d people so long you pay government taxes.
We have good and solid ISP's but they'll rather treat us like an average importer who goes to CHINA with an authentic product and ask them to GIVE nigerian synthetic or inferior stuff. WHY bcoz everytin goes in 9ja.
=====

Starcomms = over subcribed + cheap and inexperience so call engineers. (they only interested in money money money money) I rate them the worst ISP in 9ja.
Multilinks = stick to them if u check and send mails + u do downloads of 15mb down . (they really working on Improving)
Reltel = same of the SAME. only time will tell.
Intercellular = same of the SAME

===
so among all this guyz that uses CDMA/TDMA tec. stick to Multilinks
===
I'll recommend 3 ISPs for small business/big ventures and or individuals

Direct on PC = Minimal Downtime + you'll be sure you're using internet even if you opt for the smallest payment plan.
Swift Broadband = same as dopc except that dopc have wider coverage than swift.
IpNX = big boyz in radio comm. d guyz behind ur interswift ATM. i've used it's internet access some 4yrs back, i tell u super good but super expensive. they have sometin now called i[b]wireless[/b] it for all

Now before some pips will say all what NOT. I recommend this 3 bcoz they're affordable, reliable and u'll be sure you're on the inet without boundaries.

I would have included coolLINK but the only time I wanted to do sometin with them, ordered product seems to be on the sea forever.

====
for does comapring uk with 9ja. in terms of pricing. pls don't forget that this guyz run desiel/inverter on all base stations.

for me when am on the inet
It's should be like am on 3rd mainland bridge driving at night without traffic . no delays,
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Iranoladun(f): 3:32pm On Dec 27, 2007
[color=#770077][/color]
I agree with you. I have tried Starcoms, Intercellular, Reltel and Multilinks. Out of all these not-so-good ISP I found Multilinks the best. I used their data card 24hrs 15,000 naira per month.

Browsing through most of these so called ISP providers is so slow that most time I feel like pulling my hair out from the root! Let's hope we would have a better alternative by 2008-the almighty God that delivers us from the hands of NITEL will surely deliver us from inefficient ISP providers soonest!
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 27, 2007
I think you guys should try M-WEB, You go see now. wink
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by sawyerrken(m): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2007
Starcomms is a pain here in ph its damn too slow but i get better speeds at night i can pull off 100mb in about 6hours, pathetic sha. but as per some pages not opening, i use firefox and safari and i dont have problems. only beef i have with it is the speed and hey starcomms cant comfortably open two pages concurrently, its a one-page-at-a-time deal with starcomms. if u're loading a page and try to open another one, u'll get the normal protocol errors u get when trynna access the internet with no connection ("Page cannot be displayed"), same applies to when downloading off the net via starcomss, no page will open wen downloading. this is just from ma end might be different elsewhere.
Have fun guyz.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Iranoladun(f): 12:34am On Dec 28, 2007
jassie:

I think you guys should try M-WEB, You go see now. wink

How much is M-Web?
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Nobody: 8:12am On Dec 28, 2007
@Iranoladun

http://insel.cs.tu-berlin.de/pipermail/gi-i3w/2004-October/000001.html

You'll get all necessary informations about M-Web there, They don't have internet card but I was informed their Dial-Up service is super and you get to pay as you go. grin

In the mean time, I'm using Starcomms 1XEV-DO Card.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by kaylala(m): 10:48pm On Dec 28, 2007
My Starcomms EVDO still serves me correct cool
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by OEPHIUS(m): 6:56am On Dec 29, 2007
when i hear you people talk like this i wonder my starcomms works perfectly well maybe reconnecting me might take about four days during the christmas holidays apart from that their service is fabulous
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by blacklion(m): 8:22am On Dec 29, 2007
I've used Multilinks and Starcomms for 3 years but discovered something better. U guys might want to consider using Swift Networks - http://www.swiftng.com/. I've had Swift since June this year. The 24 hour package is N15k/month while 6k/month fetches you nights [6pm-6am] plus weekends[6pm Friday-6am Monday]. I think the nights and weekends package which I have is a great deal. Swift is pretty okay. I watch YouTube and download mp3s quite easily most times. Like any other naija ISP, they do have their downtimes. They claim to be broadband but they are not really - just radio.

The downside to SWIFT is that if you're outside VI, Ikoyi, Island, you'll need a mast to mount the antenna. The indoor modem won't work in other parts of Lagos. The equipment costs about 30k to install and if you want a router so that 3 or 4 laptops can browse wireless, it goes for 15k. But you can buy your own router.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by blacklion(m): 8:28am On Dec 29, 2007
I forgot to add Netcom Africa but they are mega-expensive. Modem alone is 75k but monthly charges are about the same range as Swift, Multilinks etc. From what I've heard from users on the Island, Ikoyi, VI, their service is pretty great. They actually provide internet access for many banks and corporates. problem is their network is limited to those areas near VI and Ikoyi
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by kioboy(m): 1:05pm On Dec 30, 2007
wow i like this topic, infact the problem is general with STARCOMM and multilink. iam considering using Directonpc unwind WiMAX Broadband  services which they just introduced. i have contacted them here in PH and they have responded positively, but i don't know how effective and reliable their services are, more especially the newly introduced unwind WiMAX Broadband.

@ruemu, please kindly contribute if this service is what online surfers in naija here have been waiting for. here i attach the product manual the sent me. it have all the info and prices depending on the time you want.

the file is too big (morethan the 200KB) iam sorry for not been able to attach.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by touche(m): 10:40am On Dec 31, 2007
Most ISPs disable access to p2p programs because they consume a lot of bandwidth. Viruses and spyware can also reduce browsing speed considerably.
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by africanboy(m): 7:32pm On Dec 31, 2007
i use Starcomms EVDO, and I must say it is far from broadband - usually at 30-40kps. Once I achieved 75kbps, but then just once.

A friend told me WiMAX providers place a monthly bandwidth limit, e.g u pay for 24 hours unlimited but u must nt exceed 1gigabyte bandwidth transfer in a month. Awful. My EVDO has downloaded almost 4gb within the 11days I've purchased it.

I'll stick with it for a while longer, until they bring in new cards
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by bestcomm(m): 8:46pm On Jan 04, 2008
Pls i would like every one who is complaining on starcomm to tell me if your using a MODEM or EVDO because Evdo is more reliable but am not saying that it doesn`t have problem.There sometimes it fast and likewise but i still have this impression that is better than MODEM.

thank you

http://www.makemoney4live.com
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by lynxnoon(m): 2:35pm On Jan 05, 2008
kioboy:

wow i like this topic, infact the problem is general with STARCOMM and multilink. iam considering using Directonpc unwind WiMAX Broadband services which they just introduced. i have contacted them here in PH and they have responded positively, but i don't know how effective and reliable their services are, more especially the newly introduced unwind WiMAX Broadband.

@ruemu, please kindly contribute if this service is what online surfers in naija here have been waiting for. here i attach the product manual the sent me. it have all the info and prices depending on the time you want.

the file is too big (morethan the 200KB) iam sorry for not been able to attach.

Hi kioboy,
i use DirectonPC unwired n its been cool so far, tho dey have their own glitches 1ce in a while e.g connection reset
i use d Sundown quarterly i.e 6pm -8am weekdays and 6pm Fri- 8am Mon weekends @ 21k/3 months
I tink its relatively ok 4 individuals
I'd advice u 2 go 4 it and choose a plan dat suits u tho check d network coverage 1st
Since u live in PH i'll attach a map showing d coverage in PH i.e if u dont have it already wink wink
[img][/img]

Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by Truequest(m): 9:05pm On Jan 14, 2008
Starcomms is like a pain in the neck, nomatter what you do it just don't click. NCC we need helpooooo!
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by lynxnoon(m): 12:03am On Jan 15, 2008
Truequest:

Starcomms is like a pain in the neck, nomatter what you do it just don't click. NCC we need helpooooo!
ABEG HELP ME TELL THEM OOOOOH!!!!
Re: Problem: Some Websites Not Opening With Starcomms by sundayfanz(m): 7:04pm On Jan 17, 2008
There are all sorts of different devices you can buy that will give your computer wireless networking capabilities. If you've taken a good look around, though, you probably have been confused by all the different kinds of equipment being offered -- how things that look so dissimilar do the same task? It's a bit like buying a car in many ways, they all get you from point A to point B , but, visit [url]http://www.c-manual.com/hardwares/Wi-Fi%20Finding%20What%20You%20Need.html[/url]

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Flash A Nokia Fone Without A Computer / My Laptop's Internet Pictures Is Not Clear,pls Help! / Laptop With Longest Battery Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.