Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" (18021 Views)

Buhari And Amaechi Enter A Police Van In London (Video) / Aderonke Kale - Female Two-Star General In The Nigerian Armed Forces / Hezbollah Weapons Warehouse Belongs To Sierra-Leonean – Lebanese Consul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by seunajia: 2:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
afam4eva:
My problem with the consular general is not that he failed to attend the service personally. My grouse with him is the fact that he uttered such nonsense from his mouth. It's really an embarrassing thing to say.

Secondly, if he actually sent someone to the event, how come the organizers of the event were not aware that someone from the embassy was present.

My brother speak for yourself. We have had so many folks on this thread speak wicked and unfairly about the man and Islam without first-hand information on the happenings. It's sad.

Now to the points you raised. If he said what was reported he said in that manner he was reported to have said it, ℓ☺ℓ. Then he erred, he exhibited TACTLESSNESS and if there is a punishment, he should be subjected to it. Fair enough!

Good point you raised there! Was there a register? Did he (the representative) sign it?
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by passionate88: 2:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
2mch: Let us respect the man's religion. It takes a liberal christian or muslim to do this. If he sent a representative with a personal statement then no harm done.

I know in Nairaland I've seen nd read on many topics where clergy men visited mosques and even fasted with muslims but can u honestly say the same of any imam or alfa that can do same let's say on lent, easter, christmas or the new year?...
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by tintingz(m): 2:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
amosy007:
see the way u are blabbling... What makes u think the igbos will call him boko man (have they done sumting like that before?)
BTW If he doesnt want to be called a boko man, he could as well stay at home and refuse the job given to him by nigerian (N:B not muslim organizations of nigeria)
u mentioned ojukwu, did ojukwu held or still holding any post in nigeria that will permit him to represent nigerians?
reali?...sultan of sokoto went for wakekeeping of people who died in bomb blast by BH...do you know what your christian fella did?...they boo him mock him until the bishop tell him to wait outside in his car. Hello o what do we call that...apart from Ojukwu permit or not a post to represent Nigeria, he is a stateman...my question is can ojukwu enter a mosque?
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by BetaThings: 3:04pm On Aug 15, 2012
smile11s: RELIGIOUS BIGOT, I AM NOT!
BY
HABIB BABA HABU,
CONSUL GENERAL OF NIGERIA, NEW YORK

My attention was drawn to an article written by Mr. Chika Onyeani in his weekly online newspaper “The African Sun Time” of August 14, 2012,
on the unfortunate accident of 21st July, 2012, which claimed the lives of five Nigerians and left some wounded. My prayers go to the families of those who lost their loved ones. May the Almighty accept them unto His keeping and grant their families fortitude to bear this irreparable sad loss. May God also quicken the recovery of the wounded ones and provide their families succor.

I wish to place on record the fact that Mr. Onyeani tried to contact me while I was attending the Road Show on Aviation hosted by the Honourable Minister of Aviation. At the end of the Road show, I called him. He pointed out the complaints, for which I told him that I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim. I have never attended a church service. However, I sent one of the most senior staff of the Consulate General, who incidentally, is an Igbo man and a Catholic, to represent me and the Consulate General.

I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General. I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I have had the pleasure, both in Nigeria and USA, of joing my friends in all their events held in churches. But I have never attended a church service. This statement can be checked with the leadership of the Organisation for the Advancement of Nigerians, (Organisers of New York Parade) and others whom I have had the pleasure of joining in their events organized in various churches. I have never been, and will never be, a Religious bigot. Anybody that had ever had any direct contact with me will vouch for me on this.

In conclusion, I wish, once again, to state I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I am proud of being a Muslim but it has never ever clouded my judgment of other Religions or people of Religion. Like most Nigerians, I was born into a Religion and grew up to love and appreciate it. If I had been born by Christian parents, I would have grown up being a Christian. Almost all Nigerians were born into a Religion which they adhere to and love. I don’t think Mr. Onyeani whom I had been treating as an elder brother and adviser would descend to the level of insinuating my being a Religious bigot.

Did people read this even if they don't believe it? And we seem to be dealing with a journalist here
I am not sure that the thread captures the story quite well

Anyway
Did Mr Oyeani explained to him what he would need to do when they are doing the church service?
Would this coincide with the Jumat service on that day?
Personally, I would not know what to do during a church service- When they are singing what would I do? When they pray in Jesus name, should a muslim say Amin?
Is it not really better that a christian who can fit in attend
Personally, if I have an event with heavy religious content, I would prefer a muslim who would not stand around awkwardly
I also expect a christian to prefer going to a church service
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
passionate88:

I know in Nairaland I've seen nd read on many topics where clergy men visited mosques and even fasted with muslims but can u honestly say the same of any imam or alfa that can do same let's say on lent, easter, christmas or the new year?...

The problem i foresaw on this thread was that Nigerian's will try to force their beliefs on the guy, and try to tell him how he MUST live his life. Would you like it if you were being forced to do things that were against your personal belief? I am christian but have muslim family members. Much as i respect them and love them, i will not enter a mosque or a babalawo's shrine just to prove a point to anyone. As long as i dont use my beliefs in a detrimental away, i should be free to practice how i want. Muslim or Christian. Thats all. I wasnt quick to comment initially on the story because it seemed quite funny. I was waiting for the rebuttal, that i why i asked the OP for Proof. Why take one man's word and start insulting someone when you have not heard from the other? We have ot be objective. This witch-hunt is ridiculous. There is even no evidence that he was told it will not be at a church. I know there would have been a church service for the victims, and everything would have leaned towards a religious angle heavily. So i can write a story on NL with no proof damaging you, and you will not be disappointed if NLers took it as fact, before hearing your side?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by obowunmi(m): 3:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
With all the grammatical errors, I doubt any of it is real.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by johnojohn: 3:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
Noooooo we can't take dis anymore that mad man should b sent back to nigeria,any never again should he b giveing any post again,big old fooooollllllllll tongue
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by obowunmi(m): 3:12pm On Aug 15, 2012
2mch I don't think this is a witch hunt. When you deal with Nigerians, you must play some serious politics and tell all kinds of lies. He spoke anyhow, and when you speak anyhow to someone that is hurting....it never turns out well.

Goodluck to Habibu...weak response by the way. He needs to work on his english.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by texazzpete(m): 3:13pm On Aug 15, 2012
This Chika Oyeani sef na m0r0n. How can your SmS go like "Why did the consulate refuse to play any role in the tragic death of the five Nigerians"

Was the consulate supposed to play a role in their death?! grin
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by texazzpete(m): 3:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
obowunmi:

Oyeani's english is worse...and he claims to be a journalist.

Let the so-called 'Arondizuogu patriotic union' tell us why they held a party for folks including minors up until the early hours of the morning.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 3:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
obowunmi: 2mch I don't think this is a witch hunt. When you deal with Nigerians, you must play some serious politics and tell all kinds of lies. He spoke anyhow, and when you speak anyhow to someone that is hurting....it never turns out well.

All i asked was for proof. If the OP has no proof he said all these things, then the whole post is a witch-hunt. You dont come and post damaging things about people like that. It may be you another day. The guy has written a response. Why not investigate that? Why all the insults to the guy? When 95% of Christians in Nigeria will not do the same? Nigerian's like to force themselves on people too much. That is my opinion anyway. The guy has responded and has proof that he acted according to and within his capacity. The burden of proof is on the OP. Just like Farouk Lawan would have gotten away if Otedola didnt have proof. The time of spreading lies and rumors is gone. People now think clearly.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by murtalaa(m): 3:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
What the guy did if true was totally despicable. That being said, Nigerians have perfected a way of whipping up religious sentiment just to achieve their selfish agenda. While its morally right for the consulate to send representation (which going by the post they did despite attempt by the author to rubbish that effort), you should not think it is your right to demand for it. RIP to the deceased , but quit being self-centred and understand that you are not the only Nigerian living in NY. IMO the author has a beef with the consul and is using this incidence to settle a score.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by BetaThings: 3:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
2mch:

The problem i foresaw on this thread was that Nigerian's will try to force their beliefs on the guy, and try to tell him how he MUST live his life. Would you like it if you were being forced to do things that were against your personal belief? I am christian but have muslim family members. Much as i respect them and love them, i will not enter a mosque or a babalawo's shrine just to prove a point to anyone. As long as i dont use my beliefs in a detrimental away, i should be free to practice how i want. Muslim or Christian. Thats all. I wasnt quick to comment initially on the story because it seemed quite funny. I was waiting for the rebuttal, that i why i asked the OP for Proof. Why take one man's word and start insulting someone when you have not heard from the other? We have ot be objective. This witch-hunt is ridiculous. There is even no evidence that he was told it will not be at a church. I know there would have been a church service for the victims, and everything would have leaned towards a religious angle heavily. So i can write a story on NL with no proof damaging you, and you will not be disappointed if NLers took it as fact, before hearing your side?

The complainant is a journalist - so he can manipulate us
Actually people like the present BH crisis
The Consul-General does not go to the church event, he is called a bigot
He promises to attend, people are warned not to attend or that he be stopped because he might be carrying a bomb

It has become so simple = every christian a saint; every muslim is a terrorist
We are making history in social segregation
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by obowunmi(m): 3:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
texazzpete:

Oyeani's english is worse...and he claims to be a journalist.

Let the so-called 'Arondizuogu patriotic union' tell us why they held a party for folks including minors up until the early hours of the morning.

The folks who made the decision to have their kids up at the wee hours of the morning....they are dead. Unless you want to wake them up to be asking questions.

Nothing comes between Nigerians and parties. We too like party, plus if you are going to the party to show off your new mercedes benz, even better. Makes the party and the trip more worthwhile.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by obowunmi(m): 3:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
murtalaa: What the guy did if true was totally despicable. That being said, Nigerians have perfected a way of whipping up religious sentiment just to achieve their selfish agenda. While its morally right for the consulate to send representation (which going by the post they did despite attempt by the author to rubbish that effort), you should not think it is your right to demand for it. RIP to the deceased , but quit being self-centred and understand that you are not the only Nigerian living in NY. IMO the author has a beef with the consul and is using this incidence to settle a score.

Don't believe so. He feels that if American civil servants supported their efforts, why couldn't the consul. It makes sense - aren't they Nigerians?
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by BetaThings: 3:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
obowunmi:

Don't believe so. He feels that if American civil servants supported their efforts, why couldn't the consul. It makes sense - aren't they Nigerians?
Is the problem that the consul did not support them, or that rather than attend the church service in person he sent a lowly rep?
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Goddess12: 3:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
Bark all you want,I'm on a mission to nip the very notion that every thing in nigeria must revolve around ibos and the whole country must bend over backward because of them in the butt.
How many bereaved families has the consular visited? if none, This is one of the reasons nigeria is at the bottom of the totem pole. for one ethnic group to be this manipulating, the rest of us need to send a strong message to them and stop treating them with kid gloves.
lafad11:
It beats my imagination dat we still av people wit shallow minds like you. Should everything be about religion, tribe or sect. If u read d msg properly u will deduce dat none of dis activities were held in d church. Wats d duty of d consular-generall?. Its people like u dat gets to an accident scene and find out d victims are not ur tribe or religion and walk away. angry
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by justfash50: 3:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
@9JADELTA
Shut the fhuck up! I repeat shut the fhuck up!! When he knows that he doesn't want to lose d favour of the creator of d universe, why did he accept the job that will make him loose the favor .. See d hypocrisy we are talking about again . Is he the consul of NASfat or amswerudeen ? A consul to a country with many religions, ethnics and believes and u are here saying rubbish

People like you she shot in the are for typing rubbish mtchewww angry

What is with this abuse, sometimes its better for muslims to keep mum. you want contribution from muslims and this is what they get when they tell u the truth. A conscious muslim will never attend a funeral of a christian.he can delegate a christian associate or send mails etc which i av stated earlier.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Goddess12: 3:36pm On Aug 15, 2012
You are just vindictive, when his time comes he will go, I wonder if you would have said the same if he's ibo.
9ja_I_hail:

You and that consular are familiar but in character and in Boko Haram. That fool need to be recall fast and thoroughly check,people like him might be the real sponsor of Boko Haram.Divide this useless country.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by obowunmi(m): 3:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
BetaThings:
Is the problem that the consul did not support them, or that rather than attend the church service in person he sent a lowly rep?

From what I read, sounds like "no one" representing the consul attend the event, nor did any representative make an attempt to "visit" the families.

If he had been more proactive in his communication with them, he might be fine.

He doesn't just need a secretary. He needs a communications director or a public affairs person.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 3:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
obowunmi:

From what I read, sounds like "no one" representing the consul attend the event, nor did any representative make an attempt to "visit" the families.

If he had been more proactive in his communication with them, he might be fine.

He doesn't just need a secretary. He needs a communications director or a public affairs person.

Did you take the time to read the consul's response? Did you even see it? It is on this thread. Read it first and then come back and comment. He gave a name of the rep he sent.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by dealordea(m): 3:44pm On Aug 15, 2012
From what have read so far!!! We all have our different views when it comes to religious and been a muslim, I am more a liberated person and I don't see anything bad extending my condolence greetings to the family of the dead.. The guy would have send a third part to extend condonlence greetings if not he should sack from the duty!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by obowunmi(m): 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
My brother, Yes I read it. Although I am less inclined to take it seriously because of the English. Where is the proof that the person he sent actually attend the event.

There are two sides to the story and the truth. Unfortunately, this will die in the court of public opinion. Would we ever know the truth, the facts??
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by akbahbah(m): 3:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
gboss4sure: Jeez, What has religion got to do with Government?. GEJ should recall and sack that man with immediate effect.

I second u buh worth a poo president we have.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by mmmustapha(m): 3:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
Do ur religion n allow me to do mine dats wat he mean n he follow d teaching of islam,wats wrong wit u guys
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Goddess12: 3:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
Ogun the god of iron has accepted you as offering he will drink your blood and the blood of your loved ones Asssseeeeeeeeeeeeee, Eyi ti mo wi yi aro ti ro mo. gboss4sure you have now become the dog for ogun onile, may ogun find you wherever you are and spray your blood on the thirstiest road ASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
gboss4sure:

May your family meet the same fate Idiot. Wot has this got to do with been igbos. This is about Government and not Religion or tribe. Thats why all of you in that God forsaken north doesn't understand anything about Government
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 3:53pm On Aug 15, 2012
obowunmi: My brother, Yes I read it. Although I am less inclined to take it seriously because of the English. Where is the proof that the person he sent actually attend the event.

There are two sides to the story and the truth. Unfortunately, this will die in the court of public opinion. Would we ever know the truth, the facts??

That is what i am asking the OP for proof. He brought the allegation, the guy has denied it. So the burden of proof is on him. We dont know them, neither do we know the relationship between the two parties. No one should just come and write tales without proof. That is dangerous.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by juman(m): 3:57pm On Aug 15, 2012
This is non issue.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by tunshe: 3:58pm On Aug 15, 2012
klax: Pls would you stop this nonsense cartoon of a thing that make no sense?

While the cartoon is thought provoking,it's nonsense to you cos you are senseless.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by akbahbah(m): 3:59pm On Aug 15, 2012
bokohalal: The consul-general does not need to attend funerals unless it is a state funeral were he becomes the country's representive. And I believe this was a private funeral. I do not think the Nigerian flag was flying at half mast at the consulate on that day.

What is people lyk u doing on nairaland? Don't u av eyes 2 read n brain to process simple information? Dat stupid consul general that is meant to represent Nigerias in NY dnt even send condolence 2 d family of d deceased. Who invited him to d funeral. If MR. President can not act to this then he is purely a retardeen as being called. Is dat islam truely a religion of peace?.. U knw answer ursef Mtewwwww

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Goddess12: 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2012
Don't worry your head Mr Habu, we already know that ibos are liars, the day they tell the truth will be a great day.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Presidency Speaks On Buhari Seeking Medical Treatment During Private Visit To UK / Lauretta Onochie: If 419 PDP Raises Fund It's For Looting / Ndigbo In Lagos State Demands For ₦17m From APC To Endorse Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.