Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,132 members, 7,829,032 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" (18042 Views)

Buhari And Amaechi Enter A Police Van In London (Video) / Aderonke Kale - Female Two-Star General In The Nigerian Armed Forces / Hezbollah Weapons Warehouse Belongs To Sierra-Leonean – Lebanese Consul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by aryzgreat: 11:13am On Aug 15, 2012
justfash50: hey guy 4get abt dat ish, dis man fuckup big tym. I am a muslim bt wat dis man dis is nt a muslim act, he mess up big tym, its ppl lyk dem dat giv islam bad image. Dont muslim go to church to attend their frnds or relative weddin in church. Dis man is jus a bigot and need to call bac period. Is he representin nigerians or muslim? Dis hausa ppl self, both d educated and d illitrate think alike. Mtwssss

We are not muslims by name but by conciously ensuring we are guided by the Quran and Hadith of the prophet. Go figure out your spiritual obligation as a muslim.

To the ambassador at least he can commiserate with the bereaved family by mail, visiting etc

wot guiding by hadith are u talking about? is it a sin for a muslim to enter a church? pope john paul entered synagogue, the present pope entererd mosque in syria, Gej break ramadan fast with muslim same with archbishop onaiyekan. y r u people always bringing religion into politics? ur religious bigotry is getting out of hand.

He didn't even wait to hear where the wake keeping would hold before blabbing he cab never enter a church. That man should be sent to afganistan!

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by bokohalal(m): 11:26am On Aug 15, 2012
The consul-general does not need to attend funerals unless it is a state funeral were he becomes the country's representive. And I believe this was a private funeral. I do not think the Nigerian flag was flying at half mast at the consulate on that day.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by aryzgreat: 11:34am On Aug 15, 2012
bokohalal: The consul-general does not need to attend funerals unless it is a state funeral were he becomes the country's representive. And I believe this was a private funeral. I do not think the Nigerian flag was flying at half mast at the consulate on that day.

Nobody expected him to be at the funeral, but a condolence message from his office would av solved some issues, please read again, he neither visited the surivors in the hospital nor sent a word accross to them. This is the same attitude sanusi exhibited when madalla christians were bombed but was quick to react when kano muslims were affected. SMH undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by justfash50: 11:44am On Aug 15, 2012
@aryzgreat

Religion is the opium of the people, the earlier u realize this the better. when you are conscious of your belief there is nothing that can change your acting on the belief.

Like i mentioned above he can visit, commiserate by sending letters etc. but not attending the Funeral.

I remembered when i invited some of my christian friends to my wedding (Nikkah) in a mosque compound they gave flimsy excuse in which i know for sure they dont want to enter a mosque although a few of them attended. To me its understandable to you be your way to me be mine.

I wont because i want to satisfy millions of people and dissatisfy or lose favour from the creator of all the universe, even if it was my kith and kin.It is a bitter truth.

I have said he can commiserate by visiting, mail or letter etc.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Nobody: 11:58am On Aug 15, 2012
That statement "I'm a Muslim, I can't enter a church" represents the height of insensitivity, considering the fact that we're dealing with the loss of Nigerian lives and that the wake-keep didn't even take place in a church.

Such insensitivity coming FROM A DIPLOMAT is unacceptable. He should be recalled.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 12:08pm On Aug 15, 2012
Being of Nigerian descent doesn't make you Nigerian. Most of those people carry American passports. If they are American they shouldn't expect anything from the Nigerian consulate. I didn't even know people even cared about these consulate people enough to invite them anywhere. We Nigerians have to live and let live. Let people be guided by their religious belief, personal belief if they want to, as long as it does not jeopardize the life of others. I understand the issue of sensitivity but does the writer have solid proof that he said this? If he does then that should have been released along with this writeup. Plus Nigerian's are not too known for applying wisdom or diplomacy before they talk.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 15, 2012
Jeez, What has religion got to do with Government?. GEJ should recall and sack that man with immediate effect.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by aryzgreat: 12:18pm On Aug 15, 2012
2mch: Being of Nigerian descent doesn't make you Nigerian. Most of those people carry American passports. If they are American they shouldn't expect anything from the Nigerian consulate. I didn't even know people even cared about these consulate people enough to invite them anywhere. We Nigerians have to live and let live. Let people be guided by their religious belief, personal belief if they want to, as long as it does not jeopardize the life of others. I understand the issue of sensitivity but does the writer have solid proof that he said this? If he does then that should have been released along with this writeup. Plus Nigerian's are not too known for applying wisdom or diplomacy before they talk.

My guy they are not Americans, they are Nigerians resident in America. The accident was a tragedy sort of cos it involved a family travelling in an SUV and their death was widely reported over the media, for a "father figure" to show non-challant attitude to fellow citizens he is expected to attend to diplomatically is the height if his insensitivity, he neither visited the survivors in the hospital nor send them a recovery prayer, lets forget about attending funeral for the dead, his utterance about being a muslim and cannot enter a church could been better kept to himself than vomitted. He rep Nigerians weda christian, muslim or atheist.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
Goddess12: Why must he go to church? you ibos need to get a life, if he were to be ibo would you have forced him to go to the mosque, you get as much as you give, you want to tell me that a consular must and have been visiting all bereaved families in the US? you are not even nigerians.

May your family meet the same fate Idiot. Wot has this got to do with been igbos. This is about Government and not Religion or tribe. Thats why all of you in that God forsaken north doesn't understand anything about Government

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Hadone(m): 12:21pm On Aug 15, 2012
[size=18pt]So is it by force a Muslim should enter a church or a christain to enter a mosque?[/size]
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by FJCRUISER: 12:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
This character shd be sent back home to continue sponsoring his family members to thier own death. Hw can someone in dat capacity talk of religion . He shd return n concentrate on islam in naija pls oga JONA don't waste time to withdraw him. Fellow NLanders lets rise up n defend our pple
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by DExplorer1: 12:22pm On Aug 15, 2012
At the phase of media hype and cheap traffic, I THINK THIS MAN WAS WRONGLY QUOTED
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by KiKatanga: 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
Had_one: So is it by force a Muslim should enter a church or a christain to enter a mosque?

No, had he gone he would have been welcomed in, if not he could turn away in the knowledge he had offered his condolences.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 15, 2012
bokohalal: The consul-general does not need to attend funerals unless it is a state funeral were he becomes the country's representive. And I believe this was a private funeral. I do not think the Nigerian flag was flying at half mast at the consulate on that day.

MAn get this, This is a tragedy to the Nigerian Nation as a whole and as a man in charge of the welfare of Nigerians in that country, he is supposed to attend and commiserate with other fellow Nigerians over the loss. From the way some of you talks self i begin to wonder if Nigeria has any hope of improving

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Afamdman(m): 12:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
Shocking statement, I'll like to believe he didn't say such, but what in the world was he think spewing out such, God give a good excuse, not that insensitive bull-crap. Smh na wah ohh. Everybody OYO.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by timmy1999(m): 12:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
Well...I will blame GEJ for all this..how can u send a muslim ambassador to a country dorminated by christians..can he send a christian to saudi arabia as an ambassador...that's why I will forever respect obasanjo...the man that know what is called nigeria...he know yoruba are many in uk..he put yoruba as ambassador there..in USA hew put ibo man...but dis useless GEJ...he put hausa as UK ambassador and even USA..dos dat make any sense...tell me nairalanders

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 12:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
aryzgreat:

My guy they are not Americans, they are Nigerians resident in America. The accident was a tragedy sort of cos it involved a family travelling in an SUV and their death was widely reported over the media, for a "father figure" to show non-challant attitude to fellow citizens he is expected to attend to diplomatically is the height if his insensitivity, he neither visited the survivors in the hospital nor send them a recovery prayer, lets forget about attending funeral for the dead, his utterance about being a muslim and cannot enter a church could been better kept to himself than vomitted. He rep Nigerians weda christian, muslim or atheist.

I really hate when Nigerian's call these politician's or appointees daddy, mummy or father figure! Guy! He is not your father figure but your EMPLOYEE! Nigerians EMPLOYED GEJ who EMPLOYED these people to represent him and delegated duties to them. He is not anybody's father but his kid's father. I know as a consulate he should have sent a letter at least. But those people are the most foolish and uncaring people. If a Nigerian is killed, even the Nigerian government doesn't ask questions. Why didn't GEJ and his band send condolence letter through the consul? Let us even start from there. If they didn't send him, he has no message to give. With the way he talks, he probably needs direction or would have made things worse for the victims families with his presence.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by smile11s(m): 12:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
RELIGIOUS BIGOT, I AM NOT!
BY
HABIB BABA HABU,
CONSUL GENERAL OF NIGERIA, NEW YORK

My attention was drawn to an article written by Mr. Chika Onyeani in his weekly online newspaper “The African Sun Time” of August 14, 2012, on the unfortunate accident of 21st July, 2012, which claimed the lives of five Nigerians and left some wounded. My prayers go to the families of those who lost their loved ones. May the Almighty accept them unto His keeping and grant their families fortitude to bear this irreparable sad loss. May God also quicken the recovery of the wounded ones and provide their families succor.

I wish to place on record the fact that Mr. Onyeani tried to contact me while I was attending the Road Show on Aviation hosted by the Honourable Minister of Aviation. At the end of the Road show, I called him. He pointed out the complaints, for which I told him that I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim. I have never attended a church service. However, I sent one of the most senior staff of the Consulate General, who incidentally, is an Igbo man and a Catholic, to represent me and the Consulate General.

I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General. I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I have had the pleasure, both in Nigeria and USA, of joing my friends in all their events held in churches. But I have never attended a church service. This statement can be checked with the leadership of the Organisation for the Advancement of Nigerians, (Organisers of New York Parade) and others whom I have had the pleasure of joining in their events organized in various churches. I have never been, and will never be, a Religious bigot. Anybody that had ever had any direct contact with me will vouch for me on this.

In conclusion, I wish, once again, to state I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I am proud of being a Muslim but it has never ever clouded my judgment of other Religions or people of Religion. Like most Nigerians, I was born into a Religion and grew up to love and appreciate it. If I had been born by Christian parents, I would have grown up being a Christian. Almost all Nigerians were born into a Religion which they adhere to and love. I don’t think Mr. Onyeani whom I had been treating as an elder brother and adviser would descend to the level of insinuating my being a Religious bigot.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by ayojango(m): 12:31pm On Aug 15, 2012
Y should a fanatic like dt b a consul general in a xtian state. They al just religious bigots now because of ramadan we not hearin much of boko haram

Nigeria is a failed state.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by omoredia: 12:32pm On Aug 15, 2012
Yall nairalanders that talk alot abt things like dis are all pathetic fools. Let's call a spade a spade, b4 having any religious affiliations our humanity is first. What dis man did was a shame and a disgrace on himself, islam, his family, Nigeria and the Human race in general! SHAME!!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by temi4fash(m): 12:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
2mch:

As long as all this was not recorded, nothing can be done. He can even sue this guy for slander. Quite frankly this is the first time I have heard Nigerian's looking for the support of their consul. I can bet most of the victims are American citizens. If they are, the guy doesn't owe them his presence. Anyway, RIP to the victims

av u not heard sumtin abt dual citizenship
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Chanchit: 12:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
GEJ pls prove to me this time that you are really a president by recalling that man, and i promise you my vote in 2015.. Cos i still find it hard that a diplomat would utter that kind of statement..
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by product: 12:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
Goddess12: Why must he go to church? you ibos need to get a life, if he were to be ibo would you have forced him to go to the mosque, you get as much as you give, you want to tell me that a consular must and have been visiting all bereaved families in the US? you are not even nigerians.

Shut up .

I think we serve only one God . Since he could not take up his official duty then the govt all have to replace him with someone effective . If I was the consular general of nihgeria to the US , I would find no fault in me taking up an official duty in a mosque . We Nigeria need patroticism to move the Great nation forward . Bleep habu .

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 12:38pm On Aug 15, 2012
temi4fash:

av u not heard sumtin abt dual citizenship

Dual citizenship for people that hold Nigerian passports by descent, and only for entry into the country. They are truly American and should seek solace from their country. A dual citizen cannot be president. And most of the kids know next to nothing about Nigeria except at these meetings. Where you are born and where you have sworn fealty to is where you should seek allegiance. If their was trouble in Nigeria, will they remember they are Nigerians?
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
ai119: abeg he is not after your fake 419 business abi let me ask u punks how many iive's do we loss daily back home in Nigeria abeg go sleep.

U are a foool of d highest order .so because people are dieing at home we should ignore those that die abroad ? Are u high or some quoran weed or something$?
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by chukwukezie(m): 12:46pm On Aug 15, 2012
No one seeks to disrespect Mr. Habib's religion. I think he is the one disrespecting the entails of his duty.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by justfash50: 12:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Please read above you before venting your anger on false allegation.

Please read and stop peddling, abusing the consular
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by greaterlove(m): 12:48pm On Aug 15, 2012
Let's put ethnicity aside, he the consul general is representing the whole of nigeria in america, infact he is a branch on the nigerian government on us soil. A simple letter would have gone a long way, a one minute phone call to the families will have done much, he doesn't even need to attend the wake keep. If we really want the world to see us differently we need to start looking out for ourselves, be u hausa, ibo, yoruba, bini, igala etc. If the post is really true it should shame us cos it shows how divided we are in nigeria, imagine 5 us citizens dyeing in nigeria, even obama personally will call the families of the victims cos I know the press will ask him about the incident, in the case of travon martin obama was asked the question when he was introducing his candidate for the world bank job and that was all he was asked on that occassion a question that has nothing to do with the world bank, that is america looking out for one another.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by Afamdman(m): 12:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
Fire brigade, plus some of ur comments does show, you are indeed a bigot. Shame on you, you won't know what to do in a church, nobody asked you to go there and preach, a few words of condolence would have been enough. Mshewww I no blame you, na GEj wey send you I blame. .
smile11s: RELIGIOUS BIGOT, I AM NOT!
BY
HABIB BABA HABU,

My attention was drawn to an article written by Mr. Chika Onyeani in his weekly online newspaper “The African Sun Time” of August 14, 2012, on the unfortunate accident of 21st July, 2012, which claimed the lives of five Nigerians and left some wounded. My prayers go to the families of those who lost their loved ones. May the Almighty accept them unto His keeping and grant their families fortitude to bear this irreparable sad loss. May God also quicken the recovery of the wounded ones and provide their families succor.

I wish to place on record the fact that Mr. Onyeani tried to contact me while I was attending the Road Show on Aviation hosted by the Honourable Minister of Aviation. At the end of the Road show, I called him. He pointed out the complaints, for which I told him that I received an invitation letter for the church service of Friday, 10th August, 2012. I told Mr. Onyeani that since it was a church service, I wouldn’t know what to do during the service as a Muslim. I have never attended a church service. However, I sent one of the most senior staff of the Consulate General, who incidentally, is an Igbo man and a Catholic, to represent me and the Consulate General.

I wish to point out, for the avoidance of doubt, that since my arrival in New York, I have had the pleasure of attending meetings, dedications, baptismal in churches not only in New York but in other states under the Jurisdiction of the Consulate General. I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I have had the pleasure, both in Nigeria and USA, of joing my friends in all their events held in churches. But I have never attended a church service. This statement can be checked with the leadership of the Organisation for the Advancement of Nigerians, (Organisers of New York Parade) and others whom I have had the pleasure of joining in their events organized in various churches. I have never been, and will never be, a Religious bigot. Anybody that had ever had any direct contact with me will vouch for me on this.

In conclusion, I wish, once again, to state I never ever told Mr. Onyeani that “I can never enter a Church”. I am proud of being a Muslim but it has never ever clouded my judgment of other Religions or people of Religion. Like most Nigerians, I was born into a Religion and grew up to love and appreciate it. If I had been born by Christian parents, I would have grown up being a Christian. Almost all Nigerians were born into a Religion which they adhere to and love. I don’t think Mr. Onyeani whom I had been treating as an elder brother and adviser would descend to the level of insinuating my being a Religious bigot.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by anyi385(m): 12:49pm On Aug 15, 2012
@goddess12 you are just a big fooooool
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by 2mch(m): 12:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
smile11s: RELIGIOUS BIGOT, I AM NOT!
BY
HABIB BABA HABU,

He has responded. Well, that write up looked very accusatory. With politicians its better to have proof, otherwise they will make life very difficult for you. The writeup seemed a bit exaggerated. And truly regardless of position, if there are religious or cultural restraints, people cannot be forced to do things. This is why I said a representative or a letter will suffice. It seems he did just that with a credible person. Maybe the person decided not to show up, not thinking it will cause so much media hype.
Re: Nigeria Consul-general In New York - "I'm A Muslim, I Cant Enter A Church" by chukwukezie(m): 12:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
Had_one: [size=18pt]So is it by force a Muslim should enter a church or a christain to enter a mosque?[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Gunmen Storm Akpabio’s Country Home – Aide / Buhari: My Government Will Rid Nigeria Of Bandits, Terrorists, Criminals / Flood Takes Over Jigawa State (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.